PDA

View Full Version : McCargo was fined by the Bills in the spring for being overweight.

Patrick76777
07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
I didn’t know this!

PITTSFORD — Buffalo Bills defensive tackle John McCargo gets a free pass for his rookie season; he broke his foot five games into it. McCargo gets a partial pass on his second season; he needed two surgeries to fix the foot, which wiped out his entire offseason entering the 2007 season.
The Bills’ former No. 1 draft choice isn’t requesting or getting any passes this summer at St. John Fisher College.
“I’ve got no excuses this year,” McCargo said. “I’ve got to go out there and get it. I’ve got to go out there and prove why they drafted me. I’ve got to go out there and play.”
McCargo tops the list of Bills backups who could come out of the shadows and make a big impact on the team this year. The question is: Will he? This season’s performance probably will decide whether the Bills made the right decision in the 2006 draft when they traded up to select him 26th overall.
“Without a doubt, he’s got the ability,” said Bills defensive line coach Bill Kollar. “What’s got to happen is he’s got to decide that it means so much to him that he’s going to take that next step.”
“We are hoping like hell that he can take that next step and play like we hoped he’d be able to play when we drafted him,” Kollar said.
McCargo was fined by the Bills in the spring for being overweight. However, he reported to camp last week at 313 pounds, on target.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/403072.html

Romes
07-30-2008, 07:31 AM
This was never publicized. Could be a bad sign...

No wonder, KW got extended...

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2008, 07:37 AM
I think people read to much into every freaking thing. He will be fine.

Mitchy moo
07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
He will be fine.

or fined.

Captain gameboy
07-30-2008, 07:42 AM
I think people read to much into every freaking thing.

The smartest thing on this site in two weeks.

By this afternoon we'll probably see a thread that suggests that if McCargo has a breakout year, how long do you think he'll hold out next year?

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 07:47 AM

just like everything was fine when Mike Williams reported to camp overweight?

Romes
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM

Not doubt but it be nice if he was better than fine. (not referring to the rookie TE :D )

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Oh Yep. Since Mike Williams and Mcargo are tied together by some universal force Mcargo will be cut and out of the NFL in 2 years. He will be signed by the Texans for a season first though....

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Oh Yep. Since Mike Williams and Mcargo are tied together by some universal force Mcargo will be cut and out of the NFL in 2 years. He will be signed by the Texans for a season first though....

all I'm saying is this: this team needs everything to go PERFECT to have any legit shot this weekend.

We're already skipping practices, despite having a new OC and an inexperienced team- no big deal. We're holding a light training camp, despite having a new OC and an inexperienced team and a team that wasn't prepared on game day last year- no big deal. Overweight DT- no big deal. Royal still underperforming- no big deal. LT holding out and not in camp or practicing with the new offense- no big deal.

Maybe on their own none of these things except Peters are a big deal. But taken as a whole, it sure looks like things are already not as perfect as they need to be.

Of course, in OTA's you'll say just wait til camp.
During camp, you'll just say wait til preseason.
During preseason, you'll just say wait til the regular season starts.
And just like every other year, you'll see the mediocrity once the regular season starts.

Dr. Lecter
07-30-2008, 08:04 AM

The difference being McCargo did not report to camp overweight, when he was overweight he fixed the problem and Williams was about 50 pounds overweight.

Did you read the article?

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 08:09 AM
The difference being McCargo did not report to camp overweight, when he was overweight he fixed the problem and Williams was about 50 pounds overweight.

Did you read the article?

Well McCargo already apparently lost his starting job to Kyle Williams, despite outperforming Williams all season long.

Justa and gameboy are fond of saying they'll trust the coaching staff's opinions over message board posters. Well, the team fined him and benched him- what does that tell you about the coach's opinion on this matter?

Maybe it's not as egregious as Mike Williams' offense, but it's still a reason for concern. Even the coaches see it that way.

Captain gameboy
07-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Well McCargo already apparently lost his starting job to Kyle Williams, despite outperforming Williams all season long.

Justa and gameboy are fond of saying they'll trust the coaching staff's opinions over message board posters. Well, the team fined him and benched him- what does that tell you about the coach's opinion on this matter?

In my case, it means I trust the coaching staff's opinions on these things over those of message board posters.

hydro
07-30-2008, 08:13 AM

Maybe it's not as egregious as Mike Williams' offense, but it's still a reason for concern. Even the coaches see it that way.

Did you happen to think they were sending a message? Fining and demoting a guy tends to get him motivated. Seems like it did too, seeing as he came in at a reasonable weight and all.

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Did you happen to think they were sending a message? Fining and demoting a guy tends to get him motivated. Seems like it did too, seeing as he came in at a reasonable weight and all.

well if he needs negative reinforcement to be motivated, that's a concern too.

Seriously, these guys have 6+ months out of the year where their only job is "stay in shape." How friggin hard could that be?

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
In my case, it means I trust the coaching staff's opinions on these things over those of message board posters.

and that's exactly what I'm saying.

You don't have to trust my opinion or Thurm's or anyone else's on this.

The coaching staff fined and demoted him- clearly, they are concerned. So, if the coaching staff sees it as a problem, you should trust their view over Thurm's view that "he will be fine".

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2008, 08:21 AM
well if he needs negative reinforcement to be motivated, that's a concern too.

Seriously, these guys have 6+ months out of the year where their only job is "stay in shape." How friggin hard could that be?
What isn't a concern to you?

Jan Reimers
07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
McCargo's at his target weight of 313 pounds now, and working hard. Why don't we try living in the present?

Mr. Pink
07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Let's give a brief summary of Mr. McCargo's entire career here starting on draft day...

Fans thinking he was a reach pick when drafted.

Injury concerns prior to his first season.

Got injury his first year.

Unable to practice with team for a while to start last year.

Didn't play all that well last year.

Now, gets fined and demoted by team.

Wow, this looks better and better on this guy!

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 08:23 AM
What isn't a concern to you?

everything's a concern until we start winning. It's that simple.

Every year, I get on here and talk about all this stuff. And every year, everyone tells me it doesn't matter. Yet, every year, we're mediocre on the field.

THATHURMANATOR
07-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Lets hope he can be a solid contributor in the rotation.

HHURRICANE
07-30-2008, 08:46 AM
I was trying to figure out how Kyle Williams went from sucking to starting. Question answered.

Maybe modrak sucks afterall.

justasportsfan
07-30-2008, 09:25 AM
We're already skipping practices,.
exaggerate much? We skipped one practice.

trapezeus
07-30-2008, 10:11 AM
it is concerning that a lot of us saw flashes of excellence from McCargo and we were all kind of assuming that he turn it on this year.

Then we read in that article that he was fined for being overweight, and that by his own admission, he may have lost a step since college. Personally, i think that smacks of him not being good enough. Which is disheartening. But we have to play the games. but i'm with OP, with all the things you hear, it is seeming more and more unlikely that the bills are going to come out gunning.

Our DB's might be doing really well because the offense is still not clicking for a 4th straight year.

DrGraves
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
isn't the DT job to be a fat slob and clog up the middle?? haha