Is this year's team better than last year's team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Is this year's team better than last year's team?

Assuming Peters comes in and plays, is this year's team better than last year?

I say it is. I know there are many out there who think the team is worse, even much worse I just don't see it. So before I am called stupid, a homer, am ignoring facts or being blind hear this out.

The defense is better. The additions of Stroud, McKelvin and Mitchell are clear upgrades. The returns of Poz, Simpson and Denney are also helpful.

The offense is better, although maybe not a ton. Edwards has a year under his belt and also will have a TC (and preseason) with first team reps, something he did not have last year. The O-line starts their 2nd year together. Lynch has a year of experience as does Fred Jackson. Any contribution form Hardy and Schouman (remember the last TE we like was also a late round pick and spent time on the Practice Squad) will be beneficial.

So, also assuming that this year’s schedule is easier (which, on paper, it is) why should the team not go at least 8-8? If the offense and defense and improved and the schedule is easier, why won’t this team win at least one more game?
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • SABuffalo786
    • Feb 2003

Re: Is this year's team better than last year's team?

Absolutely.

Even if we didn't add big names like Stroud or Mitchell, a healthy Bills team would've been better than last year.
    "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
    We are the Rockpile
    We are the Rockpile
    BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Defense is better. Offense is the same.

The team won't go 8-8 until the O proves it can score consistently, particularly in the red zone.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I would also add that Spencer Johnson and Will James give us additional veteran depth on D, and that many of our 2nd and 3rd year players - Whitner, McCargo, Simpson, Poz, Lynch, Edwards Butler et. al. - should be ready to take a big step forward.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Captain gameboy
          • Jul 2002

I think they definitely will be.

But....I've said this a few times, I'm really going to b watching the continuity of the offense during preseason games, looking for signs that Trent really knows what he is doing and not playing robotic; that the offensive line looks like it can pick up the third and two's/threes in the running game, and that the d-line can stop the run and get pressure from all positions without stunting/blitzing all the time.

None of this was apparent in the last three preseasons, and never materialized in the regular season.

In other words, I think the preseason games this year are more important than serving as simple talent evaluations.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37

The team won't go 8-8 until the O proves it can score consistently, particularly in the red zone.
            The offense is not the same. You are wrong and ignoring facts. The same thing you scream at people for. Even if the improvement is minimal, Edwards having a full TC as 1st team QB and having a season of NFL experience makes him better.

And, even if it is the same as last year, since the defense is better and schedule easier would that not make for a better season? How does it not, logically speaking?
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

The addition of James Hardy means nothing, not even a smidge? Or how about continuity? Im not saying the O is gonna be lights out, but it seems like they should be marginally better than last year, if only on paper.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Our O really isn't the same, as the line has a year together under their belts, Edwards and Lynch are no longer rookies, Barnes gives us a true FB, and Schouman and Hardy represent a couple of receiving threats we didn't have last year. And we have a new OC.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  The offense is not the same. You are wrong and ignoring facts. The same thing you scream at people for. Even if the improvement is minimal, Edwards having a full TC as 1st team QB and having a season of NFL experience makes him better.

And, even if it is the same as last year, since the defense is better and schedule easier would that not make for a better season? How does it not, logically speaking?
                  So you're expecting different results from the same group of guys, but I'M the one that's wrong? Doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity.

But anyway, enough of that.

Let's say the O has minimal improvement, which it probably does. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. In 7 games against playoff teams last year, we got blown out in 5 of them and only won 1. The O needs to be a LOT better to win games. The D is better, but it's not good enough to compensate for the shortcomings of the O.

And the schedule is a red herring. It doesn't make that much difference in the NFL anymore, plus it's impossible to tell how hard or easy it really is until they start playing (think Baltimore last year).
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Our O really isn't the same, as the line has a year together under their belts, Edwards and Lynch are no longer rookies, Barnes gives us a true FB, and Schouman and Hardy represent a couple of receiving threats we didn't have last year. And we have a new OC.
                    Same QB. Same RB. 4 of 5 receivers the same. Same OL. Same starting TE (at least for now).

The majority of it is the SAME and no talent was added, with the possible exception of Hardy.

We were the 30th ranked offense last year. one year of experience is NOT enough to turn an O that bad into playoff caliber. I really can't even believe I have to argue that point.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                      • Jul 2002

Hmmmm.

A few weeks ago I worked with a guy who was brand new in the job two years ago, and wasn't really all that good at that time.

This time he was really good.

Nah....Couldn't be.
                      No explaining it.

Two years and 1000 hours of learning and experiencing could not lead to better performance.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Same QB. Same RB. 4 of 5 receivers the same. Same OL. Same starting TE (at least for now).

The majority of it is the SAME and no talent was added, with the possible exception of Hardy.

We were the 30th ranked offense last year. one year of experience is NOT enough to turn an O that bad into playoff caliber. I really can't even believe I have to argue that point.
                        I for one am not saying that the O is gonna perform better. There's no way to know how they will perform. However, they are marginally improved with the addition of some height at WR, adding diversity to the offense as well. I have NO idea how you can argue that, because its undeniable. We'll see how the O performs.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

We're a young team with a good mix of talent. The coaches abilities to make adjustments in game and utilize the players we have will make the difference this season. Having our defense or offense break into the middle of the league in terms of stats would help as well.

I actually plan on the Bills going 11-5, based on a health and desire. The fans are showing thier support.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                            Hmmmm.

A few weeks ago I worked with a guy who was brand new in the job two years ago, and wasn't really all that good at that time.

This time he was really good.

Nah....Couldn't be.
                            No explaining it.

Two years and 1000 hours of learning and experiencing could not lead to better performance.
                            Except the O doesn't have 2 years of experience. Remember, this team finished the season on a 3 game losing streak. They didn't get better as the season went on as the "experience" argument would suggest.

When the season starts, they'll have had roughly 9 months since the last season (way less than two years). And the only actual football practice they had were OTA's, mini camp (where Jauron cancelled practice), and Training Camp (Club Jauron with only 2 double sessions, both of which are already passed), which totals way less than 1000's of hours.

Oh, let's not forget that football isn't new to these guys- most of them have been playing since they were kids. Yet, 9 months (most of which was not spent playing football) is supposed to make a huge difference in their skill level?

Coming from you, that is an uncharacteristically weak argument.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

I say we have a top 20. Wanna bet?
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X