PDA

View Full Version : Safety/corner transition

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
This is admittedly premature, but it's barely pre-season so I'm throwing it out there for discussion.

How hard is it for a CB to transition to S? And out of our CB's, who would be the best choice to do it?

So far, it sounds like Ko is struggling in camp and his ankle may still be bothering him. Behind him, we have Wendling, Wilson, Scott and Corto. Corto likely won't make the team (practice squad), and Scott- well, really don't know.

At the same time, James, Youboty and Corner have been getting good reviews at CB, plus we already have Greer, McGee and McKelvin.

So, could any of those 6 play S as depth/insurance? Could they be better than Scott, Corto or Wendling?

justasportsfan
07-30-2008, 10:08 AM
So far, it sounds like Ko is struggling in camp and his ankle may still be bothering him.
this is the first time I heard of him struggling at camp.

Mr. Miyagi
07-30-2008, 10:08 AM
I'd move Greer to FS and start McGee and James at corner, still have McLovin and Youboty for depth.

DraftBoy
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Kennard Cox played some S before he could do it.

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Kennard Cox played some S before he could do it.

is he even going to make the roster with the way the other CB's are playing? He probably has a better chance of making it at S.

JerseyBoofaloBills
07-30-2008, 10:11 AM
This is admittedly premature, but it's barely pre-season so I'm throwing it out there for discussion.

How hard is it for a CB to transition to S? And out of our CB's, who would be the best choice to do it?

So far, it sounds like Ko is struggling in camp and his ankle may still be bothering him. Behind him, we have Wendling, Wilson, Scott and Corto. Corto likely won't make the team (practice squad), and Scott- well, really don't know.

At the same time, James, Youboty and Corner have been getting good reviews at CB, plus we already have Greer, McGee and McKelvin.

So, could any of those 6 play S as depth/insurance? Could they be better than Scott, Corto or Wendling?

Id like to see Corner to try out at safety..but then again, he's not that tall..considering Ko is like 6'1? and reggie is a tiny guy at 5'9 or something..but idk, if you say KO is struggling..id like to see one of them take reps at safety..sounds like a good idea if KO is...but then again wilson did good for us, have two defensive TD's..idk id like to see how it plays out.

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Id like to see Corner to try out at safety..but then again, he's not that tall..considering Ko is like 6'1? and reggie is a tiny guy at 5'9 or something..but idk, if you say KO is struggling..id like to see one of them take reps at safety..sounds like a good idea if KO is...but then again wilson did good for us, have two defensive TD's..idk id like to see how it plays out.

For the record, I don't have first hand knowledge of Ko struggling- there was a camp report about him "tweaking" his ankle in practice and a few people who were there have said he didn't look good.

I'm using the premise that their opinions are accurate just to have a topic for discussion.

I just want to make that clear before the "Ko Simpson is still injured!" crap propagates itself all over the Internet.

JerseyBoofaloBills
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
For the record, I don't have first hand knowledge of Ko struggling- there was a camp report about him "tweaking" his ankle in practice and a few people who were there have said he didn't look good.

I'm using the premise that their opinions are accurate just to have a topic for discussion.

I just want to make that clear before the "Ko Simpson is still injured!" crap propagates itself all over the Internet.

ya i know what you mean..but if he broke that ankle, and then tweaked it..not a good sign ya know? but i like the idea of having pretty much all of our corners, considering im hearing good stuff about all of them, to try an go for safety, IF ko is struggling..i like the idea, even if ko didnt tweak his ankle or w.e

mysticsoto
07-30-2008, 10:18 AM
is he even going to make the roster with the way the other CB's are playing? He probably has a better chance of making it at S.

He'll likely be on the PS, but the fact that he can play both ought to provide some insurance for us. Personally, I think he's a little slow for a CB and better suited for Safety.

I think Ko should sit if he's having issues with his ankle and let Wilson start.

TigerJ
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't know that the depth situation at safety necessitates that. I think if Simpson can't go, Wilson is the starter. Bryan Scott is a decent backup at stron safety. It really hinges on whether Wendling has made sufficient progress to be a backup free safety. Actually, Corto is a good athlete with plenty of speed.

DraftBoy
07-30-2008, 10:50 AM
He'll likely be on the PS, but the fact that he can play both ought to provide some insurance for us. Personally, I think he's a little slow for a CB and better suited for Safety.

I think Ko should sit if he's having issues with his ankle and let Wilson start.

Agreed with that, I think he makes a better FS than a CB.

Personally I like my S to be above 6'0 so he'd be the only one to fit really.

patmoran2006
07-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Will James would probably be our most likely corner who would move to safety.

Its weird how quickly we now have possibly too much depth at corner?

There's no way they can all make the roster. And our first four safeties barring injury are probably locked in, so at least one "name" corner is getting cut- Probably Youboty.

You got to pencil in McGee, Greer, MckElvin and James as the first four. Corner or Youboty would be five, and I"m not sure we're keeping six, though it is possible if we only keep 4 safeties.

DraftBoy
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Will James would probably be our most likely corner who would move to safety.

Its weird how quickly we now have possibly too much depth at corner?

There's no way they can all make the roster. And our first four safeties barring injury are probably locked in, so at least one "name" corner is getting cut- Probably Youboty.

You got to pencil in McGee, Greer, MckElvin and James as the first four. Corner or Youboty would be five, and I"m not sure we're keeping six, though it is possible if we only keep 4 safeties.

We are keeping atleast 5 safeties with Wendling being a ST gunner.

OpIv37
07-30-2008, 11:48 AM

well there are only 6 currently on the roster- Whitner, Simpson, Wendling, Corto, Scott and Wilson.

patmoran2006
07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
how many DB's do you think this team carries?
I think 10.. So if we keep Wending as a 5th safety, that means we're keeping 5 corners-- and either Corner or Youboty is then out .

DraftBoy
07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
how many DB's do you think this team carries?
I think 10.. So if we keep Wending as a 5th safety, that means we're keeping 5 corners-- and either Corner or Youboty is then out .

Id say 11 is possible given Wendling's ST role

raphael120
07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I like Wilson, actually. He wasn't knock your socks off awesome, but for being a converted WR, I think he played pretty admirably. Who knows what another season will bring him. He may be the "Greer" of the safeties.

Oaf
07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Dustin Fox has made the transition already. He was our 5th CB last year, another former 3rd rd pick, and now he's at FS. Yesterday's practice report noted him next behind Wilson at FS and making some big hits.