PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Practice Report: July 30

madness
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Training Camp Practice Report: July 30

While the move of Langston Walker from right to left tackle was the big news of the day, the Bills run defense made an early statement that they're going to be better in 2008. The unit was plugging up the middle effectively and strung out several wide running plays as well.
In fact on all but one running play the Bills defensive front did not let the running back get more than a yard beyond the line of scrimmage. Marcus Stroud set the tone when he penetrated and grabbed Marshawn Lynch in the offensive backfield.
Dwayne Wright was surrounded on two straight rushes one in which he was wrapped up by a host of tacklers for a loss. And an off tackle run play for Xavier Omon didn't get very far either as Buffalo's run defense swarmed to the ball.
"I think we've done pretty good the first couple of practices in pads, but it's a long way to go and I definitely don't think we're as good as we're going to be," said Kyle Williams. "We're still developing some chemistry, but playing hard is the main thing and we've got some guys that can play."
Bills head coach Dick Jauron is cautiously optimistic that his run defense will be better in 2008.
"I'm encouraged about everything with our teams and the direction we're taking, but it's still got to have results on game days and we're just not going to know for a while, but I like our guys. I think we've increased our talent level significantly in some spots so we've got a chance, but that's all it is."

Injury update
Angelo Crowell missed practice for a second straight day with an ailing knee. J.P. Losman and Ko Simpson were back taking reps on offense and defense respectively Wednesday. Losman's reps looked to be somewhat limited as the training staff likely did not want is jammed thumb to be overworked.
"With Angelo (head athletic trainer) Bud (Carpenter) doesn't think it'll be a long thing, nor does he think it's very serious," said Jauron.
Also not practicing was rookie receiver Steve Johnson. Johnson had his right knee wrapped while watching practice. Jauron said Johnson should not miss more than a day or two.
Defensive end Shaun Nua left practice early with a left leg ailment, but the specific nature of the injury was undisclosed. Nua did have a support stocking on his left calf during practice before heading to the locker room early.

Depth chart changes
With the Langston Walker switch, Aaron Schobel's absence and some injured players sitting out there were several shuffles to the first and second team lineups.
Kirk Chambers went to the right tackle spot with the first unit as he flip-flopped with Walker.
With Aaron Schobel excused he was replaced by Ryan Denney and Chris Ellis moved up to the second team to replace Denney. Once Nua left practice to help fill the void at defensive end Jason Jefferson took some snaps on the edge much like he did last year when the team was shorthanded.
Angelo Crowell was replaced by Keith Ellison with rookie free agent Marcus Buggs replacing Ellison on the second team defense.
Felton Huggins, Jason Jones and Scott Mayle all got more reps due to the absence of Johnson.

Highlights
During 7-on-7 work rookie tight end Derek Fine had a nice reception down the seam on a well-timed play with Gibran Hamdan. Fine was also mixed in with the first unit for a few reps here and there.
Other than that Lee Evans and Josh Reed dominated the 7-on-7 passing segment catching six of the eight attempts made by Edwards with the first team.
There was some lengthy work in the red zone Wednesday. Felton Huggins made an acrobatic grab at the five-yard line on a ball that was a little high from Losman. On the next play Losman delivered a nice looking fade pass to James Hardy in the back corner of the end zone for a touchdown.
Defensively Terrence McGee recorded an interception on an underthrown ball on an attempted fade to Hardy. McGee made the pick four yards deep in the end zone. Ashton Youboty also raked a ball away from Scott Mayle to force an incompletion.
Derek Schouman went up the ladder to make a leaping touchdown reception in the back left corner of the end zone for the score on a pass from Hamdan.
"The red zone is critical to every team," said Jauron. "We haven't performed very well or scored a lot of points the past two years. We need to score points. We'd just as soon score them from outside the red zone, but we need to work on specific plays down there and the sooner the better."

For special teams update:

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6301

BidsJr
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Woe is me, Trent was 6-8 in 7 on 7.

madness
07-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Injury update

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:39 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3732)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>INJURY UPDATE: Aaron Schobel was excused for a death in the family. Angelo Crowell did not participate. Ko Simpson participated in practice after leaving Tuesday night's session early.
Not participating were Steve Johnson (knee) and Shaun Nua left practice early. He had his left calf wrapped during practice, but no word as to whether that was the injury he suffered.
None of the injuries are considered serious according to Dick Jauron.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

madness
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
QUARTERBACK TRENT EDWARDS - 7/30

QUARTERBACK TRENT EDWARDS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
PM Practice – July 30, 2008<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
On moving Langston Walker to the left side<o:p></o:p>
I think we have a lot of confidence in Kirk [Chambers] too. Both of those guys are talented players. I’ve got all the confidence in the world in our coaches and in our players that we’re going to make the adjustments needed based on whether or not Jason [Peters] comes back and we’ll kind of have to make some adjustments from there.<o:p></o:p>
On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> blocking some of the sun while on the left side<o:p></o:p>
Well, there were a couple of times during last season that I couldn’t see Roscoe [Parrish] on a couple of slant routes to the right because Langston [<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Walker</st1:City></st1:place>] was there. So now I’ve got to get adjusted to Langston being there on the left and that I make sure Roscoe is on the left side and is still within my vision.<o:p></o:p>
On his reaction to the move of Langston<o:p></o:p>
I think it’s kind of necessary. You’ve got to try some guys in different spots, whatever’s going to give your team the best chance to win and I think the coaches see that moving those guys around might do that for us. So why not give it a shot right now? Now’s the time to make your mistakes. I know I made a couple of mistakes with some throws today and I was talking to the quarterbacks and said now is when I want to make my mistakes in these practices rather than during the season so we’re moving some guys around, we’re throwing some balls that we won’t be throwing in the season. But just to try some things out, now is the time to do it. <o:p></o:p>
On last nights practice<o:p></o:p>
I was a little frustrated after last nights practice. There were a couple of balls that got away from me and I’m one of those guys that’s going to stay up late at night looking over my playbook and thinking about the plays that I missed. That can be both a positive and a negative. I’ve got to make sure that I’m getting the most out of that but also moving on and learning from it too. So I’m kind of a perfectionist when it comes to that, but hopefully I’ll become better because of it. <o:p></o:p>
On if he stayed up late last night<o:p></o:p>
I didn’t look at the film. I just ran through some plays that I missed during practice. I’m hoping that’s going to give me the best chance to get better and that’s what camp here is for. [Camp] is to focus on football and I’m going to focus on it 24/7 now, and I feel that’s the only way to get better. <o:p></o:p>
On not dwindling over his mistakes, learning from them and moving on<o:p></o:p>
Yeah. I’m sure even in your field there’s the same thing. If you make a mistake or ask the wrong question you know you’re going to think about it when you go home at night, but you’re going to learn from it and ask a better question tomorrow and that’s the same way that I feel in my profession. I’m a guy that’s going to learn from my mistakes and move on. <o:p></o:p>
On the red zone offense at today’s practice and using James Hardy<o:p></o:p>
Obviously James [Hardy] is a big target for us down there and we need to utilize his height and his physical approach to the position. We’re going to get some balls to Lee [Evans] and to Roscoe [Parrish] and to Josh [Reed] and Rob [Royal] but we’re also going to need to get James in there too. So it’s something that we need to work on and get better at. We hit a couple and missed a couple today, but that’s part of getting better and is a part of practice. <o:p></o:p>

madness
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Offensive Lineman Langston Walker - 7/30

Offensive Lineman Langston Walker<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
On playing left tackle today<o:p></o:p>
It reminded me of when I was younger and about one hundred pounds lighter. It was good. It was a learning process and this is what we are going to need depending on what goes on with Jason’s [Peters] situation. <o:p></o:p>
On the differences of playing right and left tackle<o:p></o:p>
Your footwork is different, obviously the plays are different. Not all the plays are just reversed. Sometimes we run things certain ways and don’t do them the other way. I had [Derrick] Dockery helping me out, but footwork is the biggest thing. And then the guys that you go against [are different]. I am used to going against [Chris] Kelsay. He is an up-the-field, strong, heavy-handed guy and you have to anchor him. Now going to the left side you are going against guys who are a little shiftier and that presents its own problems and advantages also at the same time because if you get your hands on them, they are pretty much done. <o:p></o:p>
On having an inkling that he could switch over to the left side<o:p></o:p>
I was hinted that it would happen, but you don’t know until it happens. Until today, I didn’t focus on it until they asked me to do it.<o:p></o:p>
On the switch being an experiment or more long term<o:p></o:p>
You guys will find out before I do. I don’t know. Tomorrow, if I am out there I am out there.<o:p></o:p>
On how he thinks he did at left tackle today<o:p></o:p>
I thought I did pretty well. I had mistakes but nobody is perfect. I am sure you guys have made mistakes, grammatical errors and all that kind of stuff. All in all I think I did a pretty good job. I am not that “blow your own horn” type of guy so you will have to ask coach or something like that.<o:p></o:p>
On if he prefers playing right tackle and if he is hoping Jason Peters returns soon<o:p></o:p>
I am not even going to step into his situation. It’s his situation and that is between himself, his agent and our management.<o:p></o:p>
On how hard it will be for Jason if he returns<o:p></o:p>
He is going to have his learning days just like we all did but he is the type of player that you don’t have to worry about. He is gong to step right in and it is going to be like old times. <o:p></o:p>
On if a switch to the right side could change the chemistry of the line<o:p></o:p>
I don’t know. We will see how it works out.<o:p></o:p>
On where he would like to see improvement in the line<o:p></o:p>
Our paychecks. I think all of us need a pay raise. We are out there working and we are the best looking. I think we have a lot of stuff to improve on from last year. We have to learn the new offense. It’s not new but there are new terms and we have to learn that. Like every year, things are different and we have to gel together and do our thing.<o:p></o:p>

madness
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Head Coach Dick Jauron- 7/30

Head Coach Dick Jauron<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
On Langston Walker playing left tackle and preparing without Jason Peters<o:p></o:p>
That is certainly part of it and the other part of it is we can move. Sean Kugler likes to work all the tackles at both sides because you never know what is going to happen on gameday. We only have those three guys on gameday so we want to make sure we are ready for that and for if Jason [Peters] is not here. <o:p></o:p>
On keeping <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> on the right side to not affect two positions<o:p></o:p>
I haven’t really changed. I definitely would like to keep Langston at the right [tackle] and have Jason come into camp. We will be prepared just in case. Even when Jason comes in, we will keep working people at different positions for the same thing we just talked about. <o:p></o:p>
On if the line would be stronger if Langston stayed at right tackle and Kirk [Chambers] won the position battle<o:p></o:p>
I really don’t know. And that is why we are preparing for any eventuality as we move along. What we don’t want to do is get to a point were we think we might not have looked at it because it takes a while. We don’t want to move a guy that has never taken a rep there through the whole training camp. We feel the way we are doing it will give us options. <o:p></o:p>
On injury updates<o:p></o:p>
J.P. [Losman] was back today as you know. Angelo [Crowell], again, Bud [Carpenter] doesn’t think it will be a long thing nor does he think it is very serious. Steve [Johnson] we lost today and again we don’t think it is very serious either; a day or two is what he is talking about for the both of them and yes it was a knee [for Johnson]. [Shaun] Nua left [practice]. I believe that it may have been a hamstring but I am not certain though. Again, none of them do [appear severe] and Bud doesn’t think any are severe and that is good news and we would love to have them all out there.<o:p></o:p>
On keeping <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> at left tackle for an extended period of time<o:p></o:p>
I think you will see him there almost every day to some degree. He will take some reps over there at different times throughout different practices and then we will see about pre-season. Our first game is less than two weeks away and we have four of them and hopefully Jason will come in. And if he does, I don’t think that Langston will see any [time] at left tackle in pre-season games. During practice he will probably still see some work there. <o:p></o:p>
On players like John DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison who started last year and are now on special teams<o:p></o:p>
They are definitely starters on all of the coverage teams and we are counting on them to be key core players for us and that is huge for our football team. We know we have to kick it and recover it and do all of those things in order to have a chance of being successful. We are really counting on them. We really like them and they are very athletic, very tough. Hopefully they will make us even a little stronger than we have been and we have been strong in the special team’s area.<o:p></o:p>
On DiGiorgio and Ellison accepting their new roles<o:p></o:p>
The guys that you are talking about, they are really smart guys and pretty much team oriented people. They are not, well you know them from talking to them, and I don’t know if there is any selfishness in either of those guys. They just want to play as well as they can play and contribute anything they can contribute to the team.<o:p></o:p>
On rebuilding coverage units<o:p></o:p>
It is a huge emphasis for us. It’s huge and the guys that we just talked about and other veterans are back from injury and the rookies, the young guys. We have to find contributors from all of those people, guys who have done it before and guys who have never done it. They have to come through for us. <o:p></o:p>
On the run defense being charged up today<o:p></o:p>
You have heard me enough to know that I am encouraged about everything with our team, the directions we are taking. We still have to have results on game days and we just won’t know, we won’t know for a while. I like our guys, I trust our guys and they are hard working and I think we have increased our talent level significantly in some spots. We have a good attitude so we have a chance and that is all it is. We have to get better and perform.<o:p></o:p>
On red zone offense<o:p></o:p>
The red zone is critical to every team and we haven’t performed very well. We haven’t scored a lot of points and we need to score points. You need to score them outside of the red zone as much as you need to in the red zone, but you need to work on specific plays down there and the sooner the better. We worked on it in our OTA’s and addressed it in our off-season program but we just have to score. We have to find ways to score.

Mitchy moo
07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Woe is me, Trent was 6-8 in 7 on 7.

Time to commit suicide that he wasn't 8-8, lol.

The last buffalo fan
07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
"Special teams coordinator Bobby Aprilhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6301#), who reminds some of a Civil War confederate general, fit the part Wednesday. After watching punt returner Roscoe Parrishhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6301#) stop on a dime and spring backwards three feet to avoid a would-be tackler, and then spring forward and be back up to top speed in an instant earned a doffing of the cap from April. It was a pretty amazing display of athleticism as Parrish seemed to almost hover for a second before darting forward again."

:jawdrop:

superbills
07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
:bow: Roscoe

Oaf
07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Roscoe save us.