PDA

View Full Version : High Ranking Bills official on Peters: "We know he's underpaid"....

Romes
07-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Here are a couple recent quotes I could find about Jason Peters from the Bills..

A Bills official confirmed to me the other day that talks with Peters are almost non-existent and that the team is demanding he play at least this season under the five-year contract extension that he signed in 2006 which will pay him $3.25 million in base salary this year.

- Sal Maiorana, Democrat & Chronicle

http://php.democratandchronicle.com/blog/sports1/

As one club employee said, referring to team owner Ralph Wilson, "Mr. Wilson isn't going to budge on this situation if he holds out." Another high-ranking official said, "We know he's underpaid, but nothing will happen until he's at practice."

- Pat Kirwan, NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story;jsessionid=5DDBE4518A0B793BB0E60DD52ECA89D8?id=09000d5d8099bc84&template=with-video&confirm=true

The first quote and the last seem to conflict. :idunno:

RW is really playing hardball. My concern is that the bridge is being burned between the Bills and Peters, but its still too soon to say thats happening.

Mitchy moo
07-30-2008, 10:50 PM
but nothing will happen until he's at practice."

"Mr. Wilson isn't going to budge on this situation if he holds out."

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story;jsessionid=7AED528C2B5C2775067EFDA4FC201D2B?id=09000d5d8099bc84&template=with-video&confirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story;jsessionid=7AED528C2B5C2775067EFDA4FC201D2B?id=09000d5d8099bc84&template=with-video&confirm=true)

Peters is not going to be at camp soon unless he changes his stance, the Bills are moving on without him. Without seeing him and what they are investing in, he is getting nothing more. I would expect nothing else and as I see it, Peters is being A-holes about not having faith in the team that had faith in him.

LABillsFan
07-30-2008, 10:54 PM
By saying this they show true intentions to renegotiate and need not say more. What Peters needs to remember is that he's under contract and he has the obligation to show up to camp and negotiate in good faith.

Mitchy moo
07-30-2008, 11:00 PM
By saying this they show true intentions to renegotiate and need not say more. What Peters needs to remember is that he's under contract and he has the obligation to show up to camp and negotiate in good faith.

He forgot about the last few parts.

Dr. Pepper
07-30-2008, 11:08 PM
If I had to bet, I'd say Peters is just ignorant/naive and listening to whatever his agent says he should do.... which is this case happens to be idiotic.

PromoTheRobot
07-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm more convinced than ever that Peters is either still injured or not in game shape. That's the only logical explanation for his total lack of contact with the Bills since last year.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Have you considered the possibility that the reason Peters has had no contact with the Bills since his surgery is that he is still injured? And his agent are trying to scare the Bills into a new deal before they find out?

PTR

raphael120
07-30-2008, 11:14 PM
this article says royal is battling fine and hardy is competing with parrish. I thought it was shouman vs royal and hardy vs reed

Romes
07-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Have you considered the possibility that the reason Peters has had no contact with the Bills since his surgery is that he is still injured? And his agent are trying to scare the Bills into a new deal before they find out?

PTR

Yeah, anything is possible at this point.

trapezeus
07-30-2008, 11:18 PM
i doubt that the bills think he isn't being compensated properly. kirwan didn't break much of a story there. the issue is how they want to go about fixing it. it seems that simply not showing up will not get the job done. The bills want to be the one to walk over and ask to sign you to the extension and then you negotiate. seems like peters ruffled their feathers by pushing the issue first.

Mitchy moo
07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm more convinced than ever that Peters is either still injured or not in game shape. That's the only logical explanation for his total lack of contact with the Bills since last year.

PTR

This makes the most sense to me as well.

DrGraves
07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
alright ralph is a great guy and has done amazing things for this franchise and i mean him no disrespect but... wtf ralphie??? i mean you're almost 103 years old, dont you want to see the bills make a run at the playoffs one last time?? what the hell is a few million dollars to you at this age? you dont get to take the money with you when you die... you should be doing anything you can do in order to put a smile on western new yorkers faces and bills fans everywhere!!!

Philagape
07-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah, Ralph plays hardball when you cross him ... and how has that worked out for him?
COUGHpolianCOUGH

PromoTheRobot
07-30-2008, 11:41 PM
alright ralph is a great guy and has done amazing things for this franchise and i mean him no disrespect but... wtf ralphie??? i mean you're almost 103 years old, dont you want to see the bills make a run at the playoffs one last time?? what the hell is a few million dollars to you at this age? you dont get to take the money with you when you die... you should be doing anything you can do in order to put a smile on western new yorkers faces and bills fans everywhere!!!
So what do you suggest. Roll over and and give Peters a huge raise when he won't even let the Bills find out if he's recovered from his surgery? This isn't about Ralph being cheap. This is about not being stupid.

PTR

Mitchy moo
07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
So what do you suggest. Roll over and and give Peters a huge raise when he won't even let the Bills find out if he's recovered from his surgery? This isn't about Ralph being cheap. This is about not being stupid.

PTR

:rockon:

Night Train
07-31-2008, 04:53 AM

PTR

Have to agree. After going under the knife, you better show up and get a physical if you expect a raise.

This agent is screwing his client.

Ickybaluky
07-31-2008, 05:29 AM

This holds no water because they would find out anyway. Any new deal would not be completed until he passed a physical. He couldn't keep it from them prior to signing a new contract.

Goobylal
07-31-2008, 06:46 AM
This holds no water because they would find out anyway. Any new deal would not be completed until he passed a physical. He couldn't keep it from them prior to signing a new contract.
I think what he may have meant is that Peters might not be back to his old form. Kind of like how Takeo Spikes was "healthy" after his Achilles injury, but it robbed him of his abilities to be a great LB'er.

I think that it's reasonable for the Bills to expect Peters to show up before they give him a huge new extension. But if he does and he proves to be back to his old form, he SHOULD get the extension. Both sides have to compromise here, although on Peters' end, it's not much more than merely showing up.

I'm getting concerned that he isn't back to his old form or that he's contemplating retirement. I read that he's working on a fashion line (!) and maybe that's what he wants to do instead? I don' t know but I hope I'm wrong.

Jan Reimers
07-31-2008, 07:09 AM
I think the Bills are acting very rationally in demanding that Peters come to camp before they will start negotiations. Peters is under contract and should at least come in, get a physical, and have his conditioning evaluated, before he expects another contract extension.

Ralph is not playing hardball. He is acting like any reasonable businessman. It is Peters (or his agent) who is being unreasonable.

Ickybaluky
07-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Question: Does it matter if he is being reasonable or not if Edwards gets crushed on a blindside hit and his season is over?

Just wondering.

Turf
07-31-2008, 07:59 AM
If Peters has a brain in his head at this point he'll make a concession and come in on good faith, then he'll get what he wants. If he doesn't he's going to sit.

mybills
07-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Question: Does it matter if he is being reasonable or not if Edwards gets crushed on a blindside hit and his season is over?

you mean in practice?

Jan Reimers
07-31-2008, 08:06 AM
If Peters has a brain in his head
With Peters having scored in single digits on the Wonderlic, that's a big asumption. And his lack of intellect may be why he's following his agent's very bad advice.

trapezeus
07-31-2008, 08:46 AM
I think the Bills are acting very rationally in demanding that Peters come to camp before they will start negotiations. Peters is under contract and should at least come in, get a physical, and have his conditioning evaluated, before he expects another contract extension.

Ralph is not playing hardball. He is acting like any reasonable businessman. It is Peters (or his agent) who is being unreasonable.

i agree with everything except "reasonable Business man".

How come ralph was able to sign lesser talents to extensions. That doesn't seem reasonable. And in the NFL, reasonable is getting your key core together. Even if you ahve to over pay.

sure, there is this question on peters health and if he has deteriorated. but for the most part, a gimpy peters is about 300x better than chambers

ddaryl
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM
i agree with everything except "reasonable Business man".

How come ralph was able to sign lesser talents to extensions. That doesn't seem reasonable. And in the NFL, reasonable is getting your key core together. Even if you ahve to over pay.

sure, there is this question on peters health and if he has deteriorated. but for the most part, a gimpy peters is about 300x better than chambers

because those other players actually showed up to camp and OTA's

AND those other lesser players didn't sign an extension already.

This 100% on Peters shoulders, and Ralph and the BIlls FO have to hold the line here.

Peters will show up IMO, he is just going to sit out most of camp.

justasportsfan
07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
RW is really playing hardball. My concern is that the bridge is being burned between the Bills and Peters, but its still too soon to say thats happening.

They are both playing hardball. RW is in a way that if he doesn't show up at camp, we're not doing anything. Peters is basically saying pay me first and then I'll show up.

Ralph shouldn't budge.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-31-2008, 09:51 AM
This makes the most sense to me as well.

And did we ever hear publicly from Peters or his agents that they are demanding a raise yet?

I'm with you something is not right there. And that is my biggest fear, not his contract demand.

I read somewhere that he has to show up by Aug. 8 to have the season counted as a year of service to him. Is that really true under the new CBA?

BlackMetalNinja
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Already posted, merging threads...

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Just wondering.

Are you guaranteeing Peters is still the same player he was before his injury, or are you just guessing?

PTR

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
They are both playing hardball. RW is in a way that if he doesn't show up at camp, we're not doing anything. Peters is basically saying pay me first and then I'll show up.

Ralph shouldn't budge.

I have a car to sell you. It's been in a wreck but trust me, it's fine...but you can't see it, test drive it, or even touch it until you give me $1 million for it. Oh, and you already own this car but I'm jacking the price up even higher.

Sounds reasonable to me.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Ralph shouldn't budge.

:rockon:

PTR

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2008, 10:13 PM

I have a car to sell you. It's been in a wreck but trust me, it's fine...but you can't see it, test drive it, or even touch it until you give me $1 million for it. Oh, and you already own this car but I'm jacking the price up even higher.

Sounds reasonable to me.

PTR

Romes
08-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Sounds reasonable to me.

PTR
First, Peters is irreplaceable, not like a car.

Second, agreed that both sides are playing hardball. My statement about RW playing tough has more to do with this statement -

A Bills official confirmed to me the other day that talks with Peters are almost non-existent and that the team is demanding he play at least this season under the five-year contract extension that he signed in 2006 which will pay him $3.25 million in base salary this year.

If thats the case then we have a true stalemate and that is scary. Personally, I could care less if they pay Peters or not. The only thing I care about is the end result that he is playing against the Seahawks opening day.

We don't know how much Peters is asking for, it could be a reasonable sum or it could be a moon shot. We don't know enough about how the negotiations went to make a decision about who is right or wrong. That said, from an outside perspective I don't like Parker's strategy.

My point is that I'm as angry and worried about this situation as anyone but I haven't picked a side. If the Bills expect Peters to play for $3.25Mill they are being cheap and unrewarding to one of their best players. However, if Peters expects to get a huge deal this off-season after just signing a deal a couple years ago where the Bills were paying above market value for him at them time, they are being unreasonable. Both sides are not showing loyalty here (hence my comment about burning bridges). The most sensible thing to do would be to gaurantee Peters paycheck this year, advance a bonus or two and agree to negotiate next year.

Ickybaluky
08-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Are you guaranteeing Peters is still the same player he was before his injury, or are you just guessing?

Yeah, I'm guaranteeing it. Unless you can point out to me the last case of a career-altering sports hernia. He had a routine injury that required surgery back in January. It has an 8-10 week recovery period. Even if he signs a new contract, he will have to pass a physical for it to go through. There is zero risk of an injury causing an issue, this is just about money.

I'm flabbergasted the Bills would jeopardize all the momentum the team has built up over the last year by letting the Peter's situation fester. You have a young QB who is key to everything the Bills hope to accomplish, and you are going to move on without the keystone piece for protecting him? It is baffling.

You can say all you want and be pissed at that guy, but the fact is he has out-performed his contract by a wide margin. He is probably the second-most important offensive player on the Bills, and is the key piece in keeping the most important offensive player from getting hit. The Bills have a new offensive coordinator and have changed their offense somewhat, so they need to get him in camp and acclimated with the changes and line calls. Just pay him.

Personally, I think at some point the Bills reach out to Peters and do what it takes to get him into camp. Otherwise, they are risking their QB and season, and that would be a monumentally stupid mistake. If find it hard to believe the front office would make that kind of mistake. They need to just pay him and move beyond this.

Michael82
08-04-2008, 08:44 AM

PTR
That's exactly what I think. :ill:

Lexwhat
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I'm guaranteeing it. Unless you can point out to me the last case of a career-altering sports hernia. He had a routine injury that required surgery back in January. It has an 8-10 week recovery period. Even if he signs a new contract, he will have to pass a physical for it to go through. There is zero risk of an injury causing an issue, this is just about money.

I'm flabbergasted the Bills would jeopardize all the momentum the team has built up over the last year by letting the Peter's situation fester. You have a young QB who is key to everything the Bills hope to accomplish, and you are going to move on without the keystone piece for protecting him? It is baffling.

You can say all you want and be pissed at that guy, but the fact is he has out-performed his contract by a wide margin. He is probably the second-most important offensive player on the Bills, and is the key piece in keeping the most important offensive player from getting hit. The Bills have a new offensive coordinator and have changed their offense somewhat, so they need to get him in camp and acclimated with the changes and line calls. Just pay him.

Personally, I think at some point the Bills reach out to Peters and do what it takes to get him into camp. Otherwise, they are risking their QB and season, and that would be a monumentally stupid mistake. If find it hard to believe the front office would make that kind of mistake. They need to just pay him and move beyond this.

Right on the money.