PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Fowler...little guy, little talent.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM
I watched some of the camp highlights and have read about the improvements on the run D (looks like our D is having their way with Fowler) and I'm afraid that are running game is going to be no better than last year.

Melvin Fowler sucks. He's too small and if you go back and watch last years games there was a ton of penetration right up the middle. It was almost impossible for us to run up the middle even when it made sense.

We have no options in camp either so we are basically screwed.

ddaryl
07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Unfortunately this could very well be the case

but on a brighter note... Fowler is going up agianst Stroud and a very much imporved DT position, so that alone should make him better prepared

but yes We are desperate for a major C upgrade.

justasportsfan
07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
We have no options in camp either so we are basically screwed.:drama:

but someone here can paint a scenario how we can win the division.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2008, 08:52 AM

but on a brighter note... Fowler is going up agianst Stroud and a very much imporved DT position, so that alone should make him better prepared

Did Bentley sign anywhere?

JerseyBoofaloBills
07-31-2008, 08:54 AM

Browns?

DraftBoy
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM

Not yet...

TigerJ
07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
I'd like a stud center, but I do agree with ddaryl's statement. Fowler is not going to be worse than last year, and Buffalo had at least a so, so season running the ball. Facing Stroud every day through training camp can't hurt Fowler. It just might help him. As far as the prospects of the offense in the coming season are concerned, I'm more worried about the Peters situation than Fowler. At least Fowlerr is a known quantity. We really don't know what we'll get if Peters is not in the lineup.

bigbub2352
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
I have been crying about Fowler since the first season he was the starter, he is awful, i mean awful he is the reason we cant run up the middle, he is the reason we have trouble pulling our guards and trapping out guards, and he is decent against the pass but gets blown up by any one with a stout bullrush

I actually hope Christian Gaddis gets a push, i hear he is strong as an OX but he is only 6ft 1 300lbs, we need to go after the top 1-2 C in the draft next year

patmoran2006
07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I give Marv and Modrak a lot of credit overall for the drafting over the past couple of years, but clearly Marv's one huge "ball drop" was in Round one of 2006, when we traded up, but then drafted McCargo when Nick Mangold was on the board. and it's not like we didn't need a good center two years ago either. That was Marv's biggest draft mistake by far, IMO. Can you imagine this OL with Mangold at center right now?

I remember when the trade happened and we were on the clock.. I started jumping up and down because I was so pumped and sure we were taking Mangold.

patmoran2006
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Center is very likely our top priority next offseason.

and I wonder what's up with Bentley.. Last I heard a lot of teams were interested in him, but obviously not that much because he's still a FA.

justasportsfan
07-31-2008, 09:48 AM

and I wonder what's up with Bentley.. Last I heard a lot of teams were interested in him, but obviously not that much because he's still a FA.

that depends on what happens to Peters.

Jaybird
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
I think the steelers have 2 starting centers, lets grab one!!!!!!

Mahdi
07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Matt Birk of the Vikings is FA next year.... maybe we can sign him. He will have a ton of suitors though.

Saratoga Slim
07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
I give Marv and Modrak a lot of credit overall for the drafting over the past couple of years, but clearly Marv's one huge "ball drop" was in Round one of 2006, when we traded up, but then drafted McCargo when Nick Mangold was on the board. and it's not like we didn't need a good center two years ago either. That was Marv's biggest draft mistake by far, IMO. Can you imagine this OL with Mangold at center right now?

I remember when the trade happened and we were on the clock.. I started jumping up and down because I was so pumped and sure we were taking Mangold.

In hindsight, and prior to seeing what McCargo does over the course of this season, I would MUCH rather have Mangold on the roster right now.

That said, at the time we were absolutely desperate for DT help, so I did understand the call.

JerseyBoofaloBills
07-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Melvin Fowler sucks, an i hope he's gone by the end of the season.

Mr. Pink
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
I've been voicing my displeasure over this guy on the roster since the first camp he was in Cleveland. I was happy Cleveland got rid of him, then pissed when Buffalo picked him up.

He's too light, not strong enough and a liability in the running game.

Just ask Willis what happened in the running game when Fowler replaced Teague.

Teague while garbage was a much better run blocker than Fowler.

TigerJ
07-31-2008, 03:39 PM

and I wonder what's up with Bentley.. Last I heard a lot of teams were interested in him, but obviously not that much because he's still a FA.There are some stud center in the 2009 draft, probably 3 or 4 who would have been drafted higher than the top center drafted in 2008 had they come out. The guy from Cal, Alex Mack, is big and very athletic.

Al the Bills Fan
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Melvin Fowler = :poop:

raphael120
07-31-2008, 04:04 PM

I wouldn't doubt that Jason Jefferson would knock Melvin "Garbage" Fowler on his ass. He's pathetic, he's a bum, and he's yet another huge BUST from the first free agency of Marv's tenure.

Royal sucks, Fowler sucks, Bowen got cut, Triplett got cut, Price got cut, Nall got cut.

Marv was 0 for 6. And that's only off the top of my head.