PDA

View Full Version : BigBub2352 Night Practice Observations...

bigbub2352
08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Well i went to the Bills Practice last night and came away with the impression that we will be probably one of the fastest Bills Teams we have seen in a Longtime.

Some Quick Notes:

Marcus Stroud is a BEAST in every sense of the word, he is completely not blockable 1 on 1 and the way he collapses the pocket on every play is something you cant teach He is also more vocal then i thought he would be

He batted down a pass and also was so stout in the blocking drills were two OLineman were blocking him and he has to stand his groud, Our Dline coach praised him everytime, also whenever the offense tried to run the ball when he was cloggin up the middle it went nowhere, I never seen someone who is 6ft 6 and 320lbs run as fast as he did when we caught a fake FG, and ran it 20 yds into the endzone, to sum it up Expect a huge year from this Mount Stroud

Also on D the Lbers were outstanding, Ellison who filled in for Crowell who sat out agian with a sore knee was still too small to play the position but Mitchell had 2-3 plays that would have been blown up at or before the line of scrimmage, and Poz's instincts to the ball our lighting quick he is in position every play, the backups didnt really standout too much, but i was really impressed with Mitchells pass defense we was covering Jackson and Lynch one on one in single coverage and blanketed the Rbs until Saftey help came over the top

Melvin Fowler was regularly pushed back into the backfeild he is my main concern about the offense, Courtney Anderson struggles to get off the line and so does Hardy but once Hardy gets moving he is very hard to cover, Lee was outstanding regulary getting open

I also came away with a new appreciation for Lynch he is a very tuff runner as we all know but i was more than impressed with his ability to pass block him and Fred Jackson were very solid in that area
Dwayne Wright was terrible in this drill as was OMon, but both ran the ball hard they are both gonna make this team and be used on shortyardage plays

Felton Huggins was impressive he catches everything runs hard routes and seems to not be afraid to go over the middle

I was also impressed with our TEs i know i know hard to believe but Derek Fine and Schouman look like football Players very sound technique blocking and running good patterns, i think for all the flak about taking Fine in the 4th rd he is defintly a football player with great instincts and find the underneath zones to get open very smart players both of them, Royal also look good very fluid and had some nice catches and routes

Oline did not impress me kirk Chambers is scary bad, we need to sign Peters now, Langston looks way out of position for LT he is too slow to handle the speed rush, Butler was doing good until the defender veried towards Fowler then he would be able to get in just like last year, Dockery was solid i did like Nevin McKaskill he looks to be very solid and stout against the pass rush and very mobile

I was also impressed with the quickness of Teraz McCray DT and Spencer Johnson and Kyle Williams and John McCargo all look very fast off the ball and were creating clogs all day long up the middle, all were very quick off the snap and creating very good push to creat havoc in the backfeild

Trent Edwards is the real deal folks his accuracy is unteachable, and even thou he struggled a little earlier in the week he hits his Wrs and Rbs out of the backfeild right on the money he is getting rid of the ball very quickly even too his check downs and and is alot more mobile then we think very quick to elude the pass rush this kid will be ok and he is very poised and smart in the pocket

Jp looked usual unaccurate and very uncertain in the pocket i was impressed with both Baker and Hamden both solid arms and very good accuracy o nthere passes, feel better about the 3rd string position

All in all we look very athletic and fast at the skill positions, he also look very stout on the DLine, and we also should start rallying behind TRent he will be good for us

Go Bills!!!

Philagape
08-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Stroud vs. Fowler .... what a pathetic mismatch.

THATHURMANATOR
08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Great read BUB!!! :bf1:

DraftBoy
08-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Question: What were you impressions of Matt Baker, Jason Jones, and Robert Felton??

bigbub2352
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Matt baker is very solid in the pocket, he looked to be making good check down throws and has a strong arm, i liked him to be honest, he has good size and looked to be intelligent with his throws

Jason Jones had very limited reps, but i took notice of him when they were doing one on one drills with the CBs and he has very fluid movements for a small school WR, i think he is a prime candidate for the PS, he is very fast and had no trouble getting a good push into his routes i liked him

Robert Felton is real soft looking but held his own in pass blocking and looks to sit back nice on the bull rush, I think again another candidate for the PS he needs to get more muscle mass but doesnt look out of place out there

I wanted to add i was very impressed with Demetrius Bell i think he has a shot to make this team he is very athletic and strong on the line and has great feet, him and Matt murphy both looked to be doing very well against the pass rush

Darian Barnes will also be a very solid fullback, first time i seen him and he looks like a more athletic Damon Shelton, he is big as advertised and alot faster than i thought

Captain gameboy
08-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Well done Bub.

Your speed comment intrigues me.
It was the first thing you mentioned, so it must have impressed you.

Have you watched many other year's practices and are noticing a difference?

bigbub2352
08-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Well done Bub.

Your speed comment intrigues me.
It was the first thing you mentioned, so it must have impressed you.

Have you watched many other year's practices and are noticing a difference?

I have been to practices every year since the 1986 season, it was a tradition for my family before my dad passed away 3 yrs ago,

I have watched these guys since i was 5 yrs old and have been playing football for the better part of 20 yrs, played at the college and semi pro ranks, but i try to be as objective and supportive as i can

I dont do the fan thing i watch as if i was watchign practice film from when i played

Speed is a huge asset for a team to have and our D looks very very fast

Our secondary guys are all sub 4.4 guys, and our Lbers are big and there pursuit angles, and there gap filling was spot on when u r talking about the starters, also there recognition and breaks on the balls and closing speed is whati noticed most about the Lbers and Dbs, the penetration and stoutness of the Dline is what i was most encouraged by and that is why our Lbers were able to get to there pursuit points

the Dbs and saftey transitions for over the top coverage was also impressive
Just seems to me it is finally coming together on that side of the ball be excited!!!

Oaf
08-01-2008, 11:03 AM
About Barnes, what gives on the last 5 teams he was with? Why is he suddenly sweet? I read that article about teams cutting any and all FBs and that's why he bounced around, but I'm not sure I buy that.

ScottLawrence
08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Trent along with the entire team won't be looking so good if Peters doesn't report soon.

Trent's going to get killed in preseason games with Langston Walker protecting his blind side.

I love the talent on this team(Especially the D-Line with the addition of Stroud) but if Peters doesn't report by week 1 this team could be in a lot of trouble.

bigbub2352
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
About Barnes, what gives on the last 5 teams he was with? Why is he suddenly sweet? I read that article about teams cutting any and all FBs and that's why he bounced around, but I'm not sure I buy that.

I really think that he is a victim of a dieing breed cause from what i seen yesterday he is your traditional smashmouth FB, he also has more speed than i thought and showed the ability to catch the ball and run out of the backfeild, he also should be a good wedge on ST, maybe it took him this long to find his game?

Or maybe the teams he was on had there FBs, we signed him early in January and maybe he was just under the radar kinda like when we signed Shelton

I am not a huge fan of the FB nowadays but if we are gonna keep one he is gonna be fine, he has no fear in the wholes taking on LBers and he should give LYnch that much more of an opening to run

Oaf
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I really think that he is a victim of a dieing breed cause from what i seen yesterday he is your traditional smashmouth FB, he also has more speed than i thought and showed the ability to catch the ball and run out of the backfeild, he also should be a good wedge on ST, maybe it took him this long to find his game?

Or maybe the teams he was on had there FBs, we signed him early in January and maybe he was just under the radar kinda like when we signed Shelton

I am not a huge fan of the FB nowadays but if we are gonna keep one he is gonna be fine, he has no fear in the wholes taking on LBers and he should give LYnch that much more of an opening to run
From an oaf to a bub, thanks. :shake:

TigerJ
08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Like others, my main worry at this point is the Peters situation. I found your comments on McKaskill, Matt Murphy, and Demetrious Bell at least somewhat hopeful. I haven't seen any comments from anyone outside of the Bills themselves that gave Chambers anything but terrible marks. I keep hoping to see someone in that group of three (plus Pat Estes) push ahead of Chambers on the depth chart. I think there is a chance of that happening before the regular season. I know one of the negative coments on Bell is that he needed a LOT of strength training.

Ingtar33
08-02-2008, 04:27 AM
good eye... it squares with some of the things I've been hearing.

where did you play ball?

shelby
08-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks bb!