X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Peters article in Buff News

PITTSFORD — The holdout of Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Jason Peters reached its eighth day Friday, leaving team officials frustrated and coaches and players wondering if it will ever end.

Holdouts are not unusual. Each summer in the NFL a handful of players are always holding out in an effort to get a better contract.

What is unusual in Peters’ case is the silent treatment he is giving the Bills. He hasn’t replied to any text messages or voice mails left by team officials and he’s had very little contact with his teammates.

Combined with the fact Peters’ agent, Eugene Parker, had no substantive attempts to start negotiations with the Bills before training camp began, it adds up to a strange holdout scenario.

Parker was unavailable for comment.
    I'm not sure this tells us anything we didn't already know except it confirms the absurdity of this houldout. He wants a new contract but isn't talking about it.

The agent probably mentioned it once, early in the off-season. The Bills replied, "not this year" then from then silence.

The one hopeful thing is what Dockery said:
    Left guard Derrick Dockery is one of the few players who has communicated with Peters since training camp began. Dockery said they exchanged a couple of text messages, but Peters gave no indication if he’ll report any time soon.

“He just told me to keep the guys going and he can’t wait to get back out with us,” Dockery said. “So I’m hoping for the best that it will get taken care of before the season starts. I know Jason. I know how he is. When he gets in he’ll be ready to play.”
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Peters article in Buff News

If this article is basically accurate, then the Peters' camp is acting very irresponsibly and not helping their cause at all.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Captain gameboy
      • Jul 2002

At least the note to Dockery is a potentially good sign.

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

I don't really understand this... but I have to believe for whatever reason Peters just does not want to be in camp.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          If this article is basically accurate, then the Peters' camp is acting very irresponsibly and not helping their cause at all.
          it to me shows that he is not 100% yet and has actually not done **** to condition himself for the season. And it's another reason why the Bills should hold their ground and tell him that if he doesn't show up to camp, he can go pound rock salt.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
              it to me shows that he is not 100% yet and has actually not done **** to condition himself for the season. And it's another reason why the Bills should hold their ground and tell him that if he doesn't show up to camp, he can go pound rock salt.
              I read the article three times word for word and exactly HOW does it "show you" he's not 100% yet or in condition?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• mayotm
                • Jul 2003

Allow me to save everybody some time. We know Peters is under paid. We know he is our best offensive linemen. We know the Bills offense will struggle without him, etc, etc, etc.... Nobody is disputing these points. The thing most of us have a problem with is the way Peters and Parker are handling it. It's nearly impossible to start the negotiation process if they aren't speaking.

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ddaryl
                  I don't really understand this... but I have to believe for whatever reason Peters just does not want to be in camp.
                  I agree. I think he just wants to skip camp. It is the Strahan/Farve effect.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

Rock salt, LOL.

Comment

• John Doe
                      Florida Man
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mayotm
                      Allow me to save everybody some time. We know Peters is under paid. We know he is our best offensive linemen. We know the Bills offense will struggle without him, etc, etc, etc.... Nobody is disputing these points. The thing most of us have a problem with is the way Peters and Parker are handling it. It's nearly impossible to start the negotiation process if they aren't speaking.
                      Exactly.

I think that Peters is following the instructions of his agent. Parker wants the Bills to grovel.

Any speculation that the Bills are the ones unwilling to negotiate is unfounded.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by mayotm
                        Agreed.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• don137
                          • Jul 2002

That is why Ireally worry about Peters suffering an injury if/when he reports to camp.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                            • Jul 2002

The article also says that there isn't any negotiations. The Bills have no intention of renegotiating with him this year. And all the talk about just come into camp and then we can talk is nonsense because they are not going to talk. They want him to play this year for his current deal. There is nothing for him or his agent to say to them because they are saying we want a new contract now. Both sides are just playing hardball but the silence means nothing. Parker tells Peters don't talk to them and we're not going to talk to them until they agree to renegotiate now. The Bills say we are not going to give you a new deal this year. Come in and we'll talk about next year.

Now, granted, I am not on Peters side here. I think he needs to play for this year's contract, and he will, eventually. But there isn't any reason to talk from Parker's side. He's just waiting them out to see if they will flinch and is setting the groundwork for the real holdout which will come next year when Parker says we want Jake Long money and the Bills say we'll give you Walter Jones money.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
                              The article also says that there isn't any negotiations. The Bills have no intention of renegotiating with him this year. And all the talk about just come into camp and then we can talk is nonsense because they are not going to talk. They want him to play this year for his current deal. There is nothing for him or his agent to say to them because they are saying we want a new contract now. Both sides are just playing hardball but the silence means nothing. Parker tells Peters don't talk to them and we're not going to talk to them until they agree to renegotiate now. The Bills say we are not going to give you a new deal this year. Come in and we'll talk about next year.

Now, granted, I am not on Peters side here. I think he needs to play for this year's contract, and he will, eventually. But there isn't any reason to talk from Parker's side. He's just waiting them out to see if they will flinch and is setting the groundwork for the real holdout which will come next year when Parker says we want Jake Long money and the Bills say we'll give you Walter Jones money.
                              I don't know if I believe that the Bills won't give him a new deal. I think it's come to the point where the Bills realize that they might be without Peters for a good portion of the season, and it would be in their best interest TO redo his deal.

And think about it. Players' salaries keep rising, especially at the top end of the scale, from year to year. The deal given to Peters now probably won't be much more than what they'd give him next year, assuming another huge jump in salaries for top players.

Comment

Working...
                              X