PDA

View Full Version : Peters article in Buff News

Romes
08-02-2008, 06:47 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/405179.html

PITTSFORD — The holdout of Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Jason Peters reached its eighth day Friday, leaving team officials frustrated and coaches and players wondering if it will ever end.

Holdouts are not unusual. Each summer in the NFL a handful of players are always holding out in an effort to get a better contract.

What is unusual in Peters’ case is the silent treatment he is giving the Bills. He hasn’t replied to any text messages or voice mails left by team officials and he’s had very little contact with his teammates.

Combined with the fact Peters’ agent, Eugene Parker, had no substantive attempts to start negotiations with the Bills before training camp began, it adds up to a strange holdout scenario.

Parker was unavailable for comment.

I'm not sure this tells us anything we didn't already know except it confirms the absurdity of this houldout. He wants a new contract but isn't talking about it.

The agent probably mentioned it once, early in the off-season. The Bills replied, "not this year" then from then silence.

The one hopeful thing is what Dockery said:

Left guard Derrick Dockery is one of the few players who has communicated with Peters since training camp began. Dockery said they exchanged a couple of text messages, but Peters gave no indication if he’ll report any time soon.

“He just told me to keep the guys going and he can’t wait to get back out with us,” Dockery said. “So I’m hoping for the best that it will get taken care of before the season starts. I know Jason. I know how he is. When he gets in he’ll be ready to play.”

Jan Reimers
08-02-2008, 07:12 AM
If this article is basically accurate, then the Peters' camp is acting very irresponsibly and not helping their cause at all.

Captain gameboy
08-02-2008, 07:31 AM
At least the note to Dockery is a potentially good sign.

ddaryl
08-02-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't really understand this... but I have to believe for whatever reason Peters just does not want to be in camp.

Michael82
08-02-2008, 07:46 AM
If this article is basically accurate, then the Peters' camp is acting very irresponsibly and not helping their cause at all.
it to me shows that he is not 100% yet and has actually not done **** to condition himself for the season. And it's another reason why the Bills should hold their ground and tell him that if he doesn't show up to camp, he can go pound rock salt.

clumping platelets
08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
:goodpost:

patmoran2006
08-02-2008, 09:04 AM
it to me shows that he is not 100% yet and has actually not done **** to condition himself for the season. And it's another reason why the Bills should hold their ground and tell him that if he doesn't show up to camp, he can go pound rock salt.
I read the article three times word for word and exactly HOW does it "show you" he's not 100% yet or in condition?

mayotm
08-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Allow me to save everybody some time. We know Peters is under paid. We know he is our best offensive linemen. We know the Bills offense will struggle without him, etc, etc, etc.... Nobody is disputing these points. The thing most of us have a problem with is the way Peters and Parker are handling it. It's nearly impossible to start the negotiation process if they aren't speaking.

yordad
08-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't really understand this... but I have to believe for whatever reason Peters just does not want to be in camp.I agree. I think he just wants to skip camp. It is the Strahan/Farve effect.

Mitchy moo

Rock salt, LOL.

John Doe
Allow me to save everybody some time. We know Peters is under paid. We know he is our best offensive linemen. We know the Bills offense will struggle without him, etc, etc, etc.... Nobody is disputing these points. The thing most of us have a problem with is the way Peters and Parker are handling it. It's nearly impossible to start the negotiation process if they aren't speaking.

Exactly.

I think that Peters is following the instructions of his agent. Parker wants the Bills to grovel.

Any speculation that the Bills are the ones unwilling to negotiate is unfounded.

patmoran2006
08-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Agreed.

don137
08-02-2008, 09:54 AM
That is why Ireally worry about Peters suffering an injury if/when he reports to camp.

Kelly The Dog
08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
The article also says that there isn't any negotiations. The Bills have no intention of renegotiating with him this year. And all the talk about just come into camp and then we can talk is nonsense because they are not going to talk. They want him to play this year for his current deal. There is nothing for him or his agent to say to them because they are saying we want a new contract now. Both sides are just playing hardball but the silence means nothing. Parker tells Peters don't talk to them and we're not going to talk to them until they agree to renegotiate now. The Bills say we are not going to give you a new deal this year. Come in and we'll talk about next year.

Now, granted, I am not on Peters side here. I think he needs to play for this year's contract, and he will, eventually. But there isn't any reason to talk from Parker's side. He's just waiting them out to see if they will flinch and is setting the groundwork for the real holdout which will come next year when Parker says we want Jake Long money and the Bills say we'll give you Walter Jones money.

Goobylal
08-02-2008, 10:27 AM
The article also says that there isn't any negotiations. The Bills have no intention of renegotiating with him this year. And all the talk about just come into camp and then we can talk is nonsense because they are not going to talk. They want him to play this year for his current deal. There is nothing for him or his agent to say to them because they are saying we want a new contract now. Both sides are just playing hardball but the silence means nothing. Parker tells Peters don't talk to them and we're not going to talk to them until they agree to renegotiate now. The Bills say we are not going to give you a new deal this year. Come in and we'll talk about next year.

Now, granted, I am not on Peters side here. I think he needs to play for this year's contract, and he will, eventually. But there isn't any reason to talk from Parker's side. He's just waiting them out to see if they will flinch and is setting the groundwork for the real holdout which will come next year when Parker says we want Jake Long money and the Bills say we'll give you Walter Jones money.
I don't know if I believe that the Bills won't give him a new deal. I think it's come to the point where the Bills realize that they might be without Peters for a good portion of the season, and it would be in their best interest TO redo his deal.

And think about it. Players' salaries keep rising, especially at the top end of the scale, from year to year. The deal given to Peters now probably won't be much more than what they'd give him next year, assuming another huge jump in salaries for top players.

Kelly The Dog
08-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I don't know if I believe that the Bills won't give him a new deal. I think it's come to the point where the Bills realize that they might be without Peters for a good portion of the season, and it would be in their best interest TO redo his deal.

And think about it. Players' salaries keep rising, especially at the top end of the scale, from year to year. The deal given to Peters now probably won't be much more than what they'd give him next year, assuming another huge jump in salaries for top players.
Well that's exactly what Parker is betting on. It's only our opinions, of course, we don't really know what the Bills are thinking. But to me, since they have him for THREE years, there is simply no reason to give him a raise this year. He's not going to sit out, and he's surely not going to loaf in a hissy fit because he didn't get his money when the games start because he needs to have a great year to get the huge payoff.

The problem is, Parker knows how good Peters is and how respected he is around the league. So he wants a top 2-3 contract for his client. There is no way the Bills will give it to him this year. That's why there is the stalemate. And because the money is so huge, there is a difference of 10-20 million dollars between the highest paid and the next tier.

Goobylal
08-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Well that's exactly what Parker is betting on. It's only our opinions, of course, we don't really know what the Bills are thinking. But to me, since they have him for THREE years, there is simply no reason to give him a raise this year. He's not going to sit out, and he's surely not going to loaf in a hissy fit because he didn't get his money when the games start because he needs to have a great year to get the huge payoff.

The problem is, Parker knows how good Peters is and how respected he is around the league. So he wants a top 2-3 contract for his client. There is no way the Bills will give it to him this year. That's why there is the stalemate. And because the money is so huge, there is a difference of 10-20 million dollars between the highest paid and the next tier.
The Bills had Butler and Williams for 2-3 more years and re-did their deals, giving them (compared to what they were making) huge pay increases. And whether the Bills sign Peters now or later, they'll end up having to pay a top 2-3 contract anyway. Next year there might be another OT taken 1st overall, which will push the average of the top 2-3 up. Better off to get it done now, make Peters happy and motivated, and be done with it.

But I still agree with the Bills that he has to show-up to camp to get the deal. Without knowing if they've told him "come to camp and we'll give you a new deal," we can't know who is being obstinate here.

Kelly The Dog
08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
The Bills had Butler and Williams for 2-3 more years and re-did their deals, giving them (compared to what they were making) huge pay increases. And whether the Bills sign Peters now or later, they'll end up having to pay a top 2-3 contract anyway. Next year there might be another OT taken 1st overall, which will push the average of the top 2-3 up. Better off to get it done now, make Peters happy and motivated, and be done with it.

But I still agree with the Bills that he has to show-up to camp to get the deal. Without knowing if they've told him "come to camp and we'll give you a new deal," we can't know who is being obstinate here.
Since he will eventually get 10+ million a year, if the Bills wait until next year, they save about 7 million in cash and get him for an additional year if they wait. That is both significant money, plus an additional year of play if he is still good way down the line.

This is a unique case because the money is so huge. Any comparison to renegotiating other player's contracts like Butler and Williams is a total waste of time. It's easy to do those contracts because the difference of a year or two or a point or two is a few hundred thousand dollars or maybe a million. The difference with Peters could be 10-20 million. It's foolish to compare them.

PromoTheRobot
08-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I read the article three times word for word and exactly HOW does it "show you" he's not 100% yet or in condition?

Pat Moran...investigative journalist extraordinaire, who never misses a chance to tell us what sinister motives the Bills have behind every move or statement, all of a sudden draws a blank and wants to give the benefit of the doubt to a player who's had no contact with his team since he had season-ending surgery?? Way to go, Jimmy Olsen...fair and balanced!

PTR

PromoTheRobot
08-02-2008, 11:31 AM

Kelly, I wish you would stop saying the Bills won't renegotiate. Yes, they said they would prefer Peters honor his contract this year, but that's part of negotiation. The Bills take a position, Peter's agent takes the opposite, then they try to meet in the middle. But instead, Peters agent says nothing, makes no contact with the Bills, zippo!

The Bills have to read about Peters in the papers. EXTREMELY unprofessional. Especially when the Bills are in the middle of Evans deal, and have Crowell next. An agent like Drew Rosenhaus would take those matters into account. Parker's strategy is to pout like a toddler having a tantrum.

And Kelly, I know you wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, especially after its been in a wreck. So why should the Bills budge until they know Peters has recovered from surgery? Oh, 90% of people do. Fine...prove to me Peters isn't one of the unlucky 10%.

You say you are on the Bills side, but you keep making excuses for Peters. His actions are inexcusable. And other than f**king over his team and teammates, he has no leverage. If he doesn't show up by Aug 8, then that proves Peters is either still injured, deranged, or getting some awful advice from Parker because he will have pissed away a year of NFL service for nothing.

PTR

Philagape
08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Holding out because he's not 100% makes no sense. If that were the case, he could still report and not get fined every day.

yordad
08-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Holding out because he's not 100% makes no sense. If that were the case, he could still report and not get fined every day.Are using that second sentence to support your first? Because you are using the phrase "if that were the case". You think if he was still injured, he should report so he doesn't lose $15,000 a day, and doesn't receive a 60+ million dollar contract?

That makes no sence.

Goobylal
08-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Since he will eventually get 10+ million a year, if the Bills wait until next year, they save about 7 million in cash and get him for an additional year if they wait. That is both significant money, plus an additional year of play if he is still good way down the line.

This is a unique case because the money is so huge. Any comparison to renegotiating other player's contracts like Butler and Williams is a total waste of time. It's easy to do those contracts because the difference of a year or two or a point or two is a few hundred thousand dollars or maybe a million. The difference with Peters could be 10-20 million. It's foolish to compare them.
Yeah, he could be looking at $10M a year with a $25M signing bonus NEXT year, whereas right now the Bills can reasonably offer $8M a year and a $20M signing bonus. Using those numbers, they really don't end-up spending more money. Now your point about losing a year is valid, but they'd probably be looking to extend him before the deal ends anyway.

TigerJ
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
That's certainly what it sounds like to this point.

PECKERWOOD
08-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Peters should pull a Terrell Owens.. However, instead of doing situps, he could eat chicken wings with his shirt off on his front lawn.

Michael82
08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Kelly, I wish you would stop saying the Bills won't renegotiate. Yes, they said they would prefer Peters honor his contract this year, but that's part of negotiation. The Bills take a position, Peter's agent takes the opposite, then they try to meet in the middle. But instead, Peters agent says nothing, makes no contact with the Bills, zippo!

The Bills have to read about Peters in the papers. EXTREMELY unprofessional. Especially when the Bills are in the middle of Evans deal, and have Crowell next. An agent like Drew Rosenhaus would take those matters into account. Parker's strategy is to pout like a toddler having a tantrum.

And Kelly, I know you wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, especially after its been in a wreck. So why should the Bills budge until they know Peters has recovered from surgery? Oh, 90% of people do. Fine...prove to me Peters isn't one of the unlucky 10%.

You say you are on the Bills side, but you keep making excuses for Peters. His actions are inexcusable. And other than f**king over his team and teammates, he has no leverage. If he doesn't show up by Aug 8, then that proves Peters is either still injured, deranged, or getting some awful advice from Parker because he will have pissed away a year of NFL service for nothing.

PTR
Great post! :bf1:

Philagape
08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Are using that second sentence to support your first? Because you are using the phrase "if that were the case". You think if he was still injured, he should report so he doesn't lose $15,000 a day, and doesn't receive a 60+ million dollar contract?

That makes no sence.

It wasn't about whether he should report; he should report under any circumstances. It was about a theory on the reason he's not reporting. If it's strictly because he wants a new deal, that makes sense. But if it's because he's injured, it doesn't. Trying to hide an injury from his team would be a ridiculous ploy.

Kelly The Dog
08-02-2008, 03:56 PM

PTR
The Bills aren't trying to meet in the middle. They are saying no way we renegotiate this year. Get in camp and we will talk about next year. It's been reported by three different sources now. How is that meeting in the middle? Both sides simply have different ideas of when he should get a new deal.

The injury stuff is simply nonsense. Parker would be barred from the league if he signed a player to a 60 million contract he knew was damaged goods. Not to mention that there is ZERO chance the Bills sign him to any deal without the most extensive physical they have ever gave a player. Because it will be the most money they ever gave a player. IMO, it's really naive to think this has anything to do with an injury and the Bills have even stated they think it has nothing to do with that.

He will eventually show up. I am not even worried about that.

Philagape
08-02-2008, 04:15 PM
The injury stuff is simply nonsense. Parker would be barred from the league if he signed a player to a 60 million contract he knew was damaged goods. Not to mention that there is ZERO chance the Bills sign him to any deal without the most extensive physical they have ever gave a player. Because it will be the most money they ever gave a player. IMO, it's really naive to think this has anything to do with an injury and the Bills have even stated they think it has nothing to do with that.

What he said

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
The Bills aren't trying to meet in the middle. They are saying no way we renegotiate this year. Get in camp and we will talk about next year. It's been reported by three different sources now. How is that meeting in the middle? Both sides simply have different ideas of when he should get a new deal.
That's not a fact. That's an assumption on your part. The Bills stand as of now is report and play this year under contract. If Eugene Parker was actually negotiating for his client,that position might change. We'll never know because Parker ain't talking, is he?

He will eventually show up. I am not even worried about that.

It's not nonsense. It a legitimate concern. Peters may look okay and he may be able to suit up and pass a physical, but he may not be 100%. And it may not become obvious until halfway through the season. If Peters came back and plays at a Pro Bowl level in 2008, then he gets a fat raise, no question. But he wants to be the highest paid at his position after coming off season-ending surgery, not rehabbing with the team, not being in contact with the team, not participating in camp or OTA's, not demonstrating he is still an elite LT in any way, shape, or form!!! You'd have to be a complete imbecile to give into his demands. God, Kelly, wake up!

PTR

Turf
08-03-2008, 10:32 PM
At least we're concerned with offensive line......

Kelly The Dog
08-04-2008, 06:55 AM
That's not a fact. That's an assumption on your part. The Bills stand as of now is report and play this year under contract. If Eugene Parker was actually negotiating for his client,that position might change. We'll never know because Parker ain't talking, is he?

It's not nonsense. It a legitimate concern. Peters may look okay and he may be able to suit up and pass a physical, but he may not be 100%. And it may not become obvious until halfway through the season. If Peters came back and plays at a Pro Bowl level in 2008, then he gets a fat raise, no question. But he wants to be the highest paid at his position after coming off season-ending surgery, not rehabbing with the team, not being in contact with the team, not participating in camp or OTA's, not demonstrating he is still an elite LT in any way, shape, or form!!! You'd have to be a complete imbecile to give into his demands. God, Kelly, wake up!

PTR
1. How do you negotiate for a new contract now with someone who says you can't have a new contract now?

2. In order for you to believe what you apparently believe, you must also believe that the Bills, if they agreed to his demands, were going to be the most negligent team in history, and not be 100% positive he is 100% healed before they sign off on 60 million dollars. They're just going to believe him when he says he's fine, no worries. How does this come up midway through the season? He's in shape and healthy for 8 games and then the injury he had 9 months ago starts acting up because he wasn't 100% when the season started? No team gives a guy a contract like that without knowing his health. They may not know it now, but they surely will before actually signing the deal.

Night Train
08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Regardless of whether one thinks he should get a new contract or not, no contact between the player & the team is a baffling move by the agent.

It could mean little outside of not wanting to participate in camp (ala Bruce Smith) or increase speculation that the sports hernia surgery caused Peters a setback in his conditioning.

I believe that Peters will eventually show up but the Bills may be wise to explore a Plan B, such as a training camp trade of an older vet OT, just in case.

Kelly The Dog
08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Regardless of whether one thinks he should get a new contract or not, no contact between the player & the team is a baffling move by the agent.

It could mean little outside of not wanting to participate in camp (ala Bruce Smith) or increase speculation that the sports hernia surgery caused Peters a setback in his conditioning.

I believe that Peters will eventually show up but the Bills may be wise to explore a Plan B, such as a training camp trade of an older vet OT, just in case.
I just really don't understand why anything is so baffling about this. I really don't. It doesn't matter whether the Bills and Parker spoke specifics, or ballpark, or code words, or sign language so they could tell the media they didn't speak. Parker says this guy is a top 2-3 LT, he needs to be paid like one now. I want 6 years, 60 million. He will be the 4th highest paid LT in the game, you're getting a bargain. The Bills say, "He signed a contract. He's locked up for 3-5 years. Have him play this year for his deal and we'll make him the highest paid player in history, and add on 5 years at 8 million a year.

They are 20 million off. Parker says, "Then there is nothing to talk about. He's the best now, he needs to be paid now."

That's it. Peters is healthy. In shape. Ready to come to camp. But he thinks he's the best right now, too, and the third highest paid OL on the team. They both say lets wait this out. The team will get nervous. They may or may not cave but there is still 5 weeks to go before the season.

There is no reason to communicate. From either side. They know where each other stands. The Bills know Peters will show up and play hard because he has to to get the big deal.

There isnt one thing weird or surprising about this at all to me. Just simple hardline negotiating.

The column in the New this morning by DeCesare who thinks they should pay now simply supports what some writers, some fans, some football men believe. Pay the man now. The Bills simply don't have to. I don't understand what is difficult to comprehend here.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
The column in the New this morning by DeCesare who thinks they should pay now simply supports what some writers, some fans, some football men believe. Pay the man now. The Bills simply don't have to. I don't understand what is difficult to comprehend here.

Define "simply don't have to."

The Bills are under no contractual or legal obligation to pay Peters, so you're technically correct.

However, the Bills DO have to win and they can't do that without Peters. So they DO have to pay them to get the results they want (actually, the results they NEED at this point) on the field.

So Peters and his agent take a hard line, the Bills' FO takes a hard line and meanwhile the rest of the team and the fans continue to suffer while some rich people squabble over a few million bucks. **** Parker, **** Peters and **** the Bills' FO. The way things are right now, everyone loses. Except our opponents.

Kelly The Dog
08-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Define "simply don't have to."

The Bills are under no contractual or legal obligation to pay Peters, so you're technically correct.

However, the Bills DO have to win and they can't do that without Peters. So they DO have to pay them to get the results they want (actually, the results they NEED at this point) on the field.

So Peters and his agent take a hard line, the Bills' FO takes a hard line and meanwhile the rest of the team and the fans continue to suffer while some rich people squabble over a few million bucks. **** Parker, **** Peters and **** the Bills' FO. The way things are right now, everyone loses. Except our opponents.
Because they know he is going to come in and play. And they know he is going to come in in shape and ready to kill, because he needs to play well to get the monster contract.

Fans (not you) and some writers are acting like Parker is a total idiot and has no idea what he is doing or what the realities of the situation are. Peters is not going to throw away his career right in the middle of it before he gets his big money because he is throwing a hissy fit. He's going to show up and play. The Bills know it.

Tatonka
08-04-2008, 08:36 AM
doesnt peters have a really bad studder?

Tatonka
08-04-2008, 08:36 AM
or am i thinking of pat williams