PDA

View Full Version : Move Butler to Tackle.

gonzo1105
08-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Now I know this would be a huge risk and Butler was obviously impressive last year in his first year of starting. We know that Langston is not the most agile offensive lineman so moving him might not be a good idea to LT. I say we keep Walker at RT and move Butler to LT and slotting Jason Whittle into his vacated tackle spot. Butler I believe has enough skill to become a decent LT with some work.

Butler LT, Dockery LG, Fowler C, Whittle RG, Walker RT sounds like the best Oline combo without Peters.

BuffaloBills28
08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
If our other tackle is not fast enough to play on the left side why the hell would our guard be fast enough???

ParanoidAndroid
08-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I have been thinking exactly that, but I also think Whittle's best years are gone. Buffalo still needs to invest a couple of earlier draft picks on O-line especially at center and guard.
That said, I think Peters will be back before week one. This is strange, though. Sometimes I wonder if he even wants to play for Buffalo.

gonzo1105
08-02-2008, 12:50 PM
maybe because Butler was drafted and played OT at the University of Virginia. He has prototypical LT size at 6'8 310 or so. He only moved to Guard last year because it was apparent that Duke Preston sucked and Jason Whittle went down with an injury. So they slotted Butler in at guard and he did well last year. I'm not a fan of it but if i had a choice between Chambers, Walker or Butler protecting his backside I was a quicker more agile person like Butler.

ParanoidAndroid
08-02-2008, 12:54 PM
If our other tackle is not fast enough to play on the left side why the hell would our guard be fast enough???

Butler is more agile than Walker. He was a tackle in college. Just because he is a guard doesn't necessarily mean he is slower.

yordad
08-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I would rather make room for Whittle then make room for Chambers.

Good idea. It probably works out to a push though. Were gonna suck without Peters either way.

Ickybaluky
08-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Butler is more agile than Walker. He was a tackle in college. Just because he is a guard doesn't necessarily mean he is slower.

Butler did play mostly at RT at Virginia, and even filled in for D'Brickashaw Ferguson for a couple games at LT, but he was projected more to OG in the NFL because his feet were considered to slow to play OT in the NFL. As big as the guy is, if he had the athleticism and foot speed to play OT in the NFL he would have gone much higher than the 5th round. With his long frame and slow feet he would get eaten up by outside speed rushers in the NFL.

Mitchell55
08-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Just posted something like this but, what about Bell? Hes quick. Hes also very tall and wouldnt be a bad T/G.

Captain gameboy
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
I watched Butler his entire college career.

He is very smart and a really nice guy.

He is not NFL tackle material.

Not one personnel guy in the NFL would argue that point.

The Jokeman
08-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Before starting last season I thought Butler was going to end up being a swing OG/OT yet appears the brain trust wants to keep him at OG most likely because Duke Preston is on his way out. As can't see how he can make the final roster this year unless no one else steps up to secure the backup OC position again.

mayotm
08-03-2008, 01:01 PM
They aren't going to have to move anybody. Peters will be the starting LT on Sept 7th. New contract or not.