PDA

View Full Version : Perception of the Sabres' FO

OpIv37
08-03-2008, 05:45 PM
I ran into an acquaintance in the mall today. He's a big Flyers fan and a hockey fan in general. He hadn't heard about the Miller deal so I told him about it.

His reaction?

"Wow, you mean the Sabres actually spent money?"

To be fair, when I told him the amount, he said it sounded like a good deal.

Now, I realize this is anecdotal and it doesn't prove anything, but I always find it interesting to hear the perception of other fans who don't particularly like or dislike my favorite team in a particular sport. From conversations I've had with this guy before, I can tell that he knows his hockey. I don't think ESPN is going to be offering him Barry Melrose's job anytime soon, but he does know more than the average fan. Unfortunately, I can't say I was surprised to hear that his impression is that the Sabres don't spend money.

I have to wonder how many fans- and more importantly, players- have that same impression.

rbochan
08-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm signed up for just about every hockey board out there. The Sabres management is looked at as a joke just about everywhere. While there is some respect for Darcy (and Lindy), everyone know the hands are tied.

THATHURMANATOR
08-04-2008, 08:15 AM
The team is right up near the cap every year so they must be spending money on something.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
The team is right up near the cap every year so they must be spending money on something.

but sometimes perception is more important than reality. With the amount of players the Sabres have let go since the lockout, there is the perception that they don't spend money and that hurts their ability to attract new FA's (or keep current players when they become FA's for that matter).

And I'm not buying that "right up near the cap every year" thing either. Last off-season, the Rangers added Gomez AND Drury AND had overaged vets like Jagr on their roster. And look what Chicago did this off-season. Detroit had enough talent to win the Cup and still managed to land an expensive FA like Hossa (granted, it was one year, but still).

So, with other players being able to sign big names under the cap without tearing down their teams, it's easy to see where the perception that the Sabres' FO doesn't spend money. If they are spending it, it certainly doesn't seem like they're spending it wisely. A lot of other teams cram a lot more talent under the cap than the Sabres do.

THATHURMANATOR
08-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I guess I do understand what you are saying but I still feel that if the Sabres offer more money than another team the player will sign here as most are all about the bottom line.

Ebenezer
08-04-2008, 09:51 AM
It doesn't help when "fans" ***** about every move the team makes.

But seriously, where does that perception come from?? It still goes back to pre-lockout days. Except for CD, DB and BC this team has laid out money for it's players. If they had kept those three they wouldn't have been able to sign Vanek or Miller long term. I still say this was all planned.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
It doesn't help when "fans" ***** about every move the team makes.

But seriously, where does that perception come from?? It still goes back to pre-lockout days. Except for CD, DB and BC this team has laid out money for it's players. If they had kept those three they wouldn't have been able to sign Vanek or Miller long term. I still say this was all planned.

then it was poorly planned. Vanek and Miller left a lot to be desired last year. I hope their plan is worth a whole wasted season.

and btw fans ALWAYS have the right to ***** about moves that don't help the team win because by definition, fans want the team to win.

THATHURMANATOR
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
In 100% honesty I would rather have Miller, Roy, Vanek than Drury, Briere, and Campbell.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 09:58 AM
In 100% honesty I would rather have Miller, Roy, Vanek than Drury, Briere, and Campbell.

I'd rather have Drury or Briere than Vanek.

Ebenezer
08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
then it was poorly planned. Vanek and Miller left a lot to be desired last year. I hope their plan is worth a whole wasted season.

and btw fans ALWAYS have the right to ***** about moves that don't help the team win because by definition, fans want the team to win.
that's right...cut your losses after one season...what was I thinking?

Ebenezer
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
live for today....

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
live for today....

I'd rather live for yesterday because it was better than today.

I'm really ****ing sick of the Bills and now the Sabres building for a future that never quite gets here. If you have a chance to win NOW, you take it. We had a chance to win NOW, and the Sabres' FO passed on it. So now we have to wait several more years for these guys to develop, all while hoping the FO is right about them, because if they were wrong it's right back to square one.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
that's right...cut your losses after one season...what was I thinking?

where the hell did you come up with that from the comment you quoted? Nothing I said was even close to that.

THATHURMANATOR
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
No They are almost 10 years older. NO CHANCE.

THATHURMANATOR
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM

I'm really ****ing sick of the Bills and now the Sabres building for a future that never quite gets here. If you have a chance to win NOW, you take it. We had a chance to win NOW, and the Sabres' FO passed on it. So now we have to wait several more years for these guys to develop, all while hoping the FO is right about them, because if they were wrong it's right back to square one.
Remember OP Yesterday didnt' win us a cup.

Ebenezer
08-04-2008, 03:53 PM

WE?? Sorry to hear you were on those teams and that it affected your life so deeply.

I point to my kids when I talk about the important things in life.

Ebenezer
08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
where the hell did you come up with that from the comment you quoted? Nothing I said was even close to that.
Nope...just your implication.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Remember OP Yesterday didnt' win us a cup.

got us a hell of a lot closer than today's team did.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
WE?? Sorry to hear you were on those teams and that it affected your life so deeply.

I point to my kids when I talk about the important things in life.

I think you need to google the term "non sequitur." None of your responses have anything to do with what I'm saying.

And another thing- you've been posting on this website for years, and many people (including myself) have used "we" when discussing the Bills, Sabres and/or other favorite teams. Suddenly you pick NOW to call me (and just me) out on it? And you imply that it somehow means I have my priorities messed up?

If you want to continue the conversation, address the points I made about the Sabres and stop trying to make this about me. I don't know what it is with some of you.....I try hard to stay on topic with the Bills or Sabres depending on the forum but some of you insist on making it about my attitude.

Nighthawk
08-04-2008, 07:51 PM

I don't think it's a matter of spending money, but HOW they spend the money. They just don't seem to have a plan and somehow just don't seem to get it. However, I can't accuse them of not spending money.

Ebenezer
08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I think you need to google the term "non sequitur." None of your responses have anything to do with what I'm saying.

And another thing- you've been posting on this website for years, and many people (including myself) have used "we" when discussing the Bills, Sabres and/or other favorite teams. Suddenly you pick NOW to call me (and just me) out on it?

Incorrect. I've made this post many times when some people carry on as if THEIR life depended on the actions of a sports team. I did it after the losses to Carolina and Ottawa and will do it again, don't worry.

Ebenezer
08-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't think it's a matter of spending money, but HOW they spend the money. They just don't seem to have a plan and somehow just don't seem to get it. However, I can't accuse them of not spending money.
That is just it...I truly feel they had a plan. IMO, their plan was to get younger and stay competitive. I don't think they had any intention of bringing back DB after the Carolina series and could have let him go and brought in some more defensive help. They bowed to the fans wishes and went for one more run - that was a failure. At that point they planned on keeping DB and the cast of kids. They either dropped the ball with DB or decided to let him go when the market changed and they realized (and nobody could have predicted) how salaries were going to escalate. They then got blindsided by Edmonton.

raphael120
08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
One thing is for sure about the Sabres and Bills this season. This "youth movement" should be coming to fruiting here and showing dividends IF they planned it out right. This is the year the Bills should take the step forward and make the playoffs with all the building from their young players, same with the Sabres. Now I know the Bills let go less important vets than the Sabres, but the Sabres have easier odds to make the playoffs in hockey than the Bills in football.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Incorrect. I've made this post many times when some people carry on as if THEIR life depended on the actions of a sports team. I did it after the losses to Carolina and Ottawa and will do it again, don't worry.
just because I used the collective "we" does not mean my life depends on the actions of a sports team

your inferences are completely off base.

Ebenezer
08-05-2008, 10:02 AM
just because I used the collective "we" does not mean my life depends on the actions of a sports team

your inferences are completely off base.
then be a little less emphatic with the peristant *****ing.

OpIv37
08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
then be a little less emphatic with the peristant *****ing.

nope.

This forum is for discussing the team. As long as the team's not winning, the fans can (and should) *****. It's the Sabres Zone- I'm not interrupting your "Important Things in Life Zone" with threads *****ing about the Sabres.

Ebenezer
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
nope.

This forum is for discussing the team. As long as the team's not winning, the fans can (and should) *****. It's the Sabres Zone- I'm not interrupting your "Important Things in Life Zone" with threads *****ing about the Sabres.
Whatever.

Nighthawk
08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
That is just it...I truly feel they had a plan. IMO, their plan was to get younger and stay competitive. I don't think they had any intention of bringing back DB after the Carolina series and could have let him go and brought in some more defensive help. They bowed to the fans wishes and went for one more run - that was a failure. At that point they planned on keeping DB and the cast of kids. They either dropped the ball with DB or decided to let him go when the market changed and they realized (and nobody could have predicted) how salaries were going to escalate. They then got blindsided by Edmonton.

Honestly, my opinion of this FO is that they truly are stupid when it comes to running the hockey side of the organization. As for the business side, I can't argue that. They just are not smart when it comes to hockey matters.

Ebenezer
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Honestly, my opinion of this FO is that they truly are stupid when it comes to running the hockey side of the organization. As for the business side, I can't argue that. They just are not smart when it comes to hockey matters.
But where do you lay the blame?? DR has been here for 11 years and how many Presidents and owners. They have gone to the conference finals 3 or 4 times. I can't count that as stupid. If DR the problem then why wouldn't various people in charge over those 11 years have fired him? If not, then you have to go upward. Have there been that many stupid hockey people for 11 years? That's a stretch. Again, they have had success. Is Lindy just that great of a coach? I have to believe that there was a plan. You may call that not being "hockey smart" but they didn't win with those guys. Salary cap restraints would have prevented this team from adding the pieces to win it.

rbochan
08-05-2008, 07:41 PM

Perception elsewhere is that they're not only stupid, but also cheap. The Miller deal flat out shocked boatloads of people on other forums, not just Sabres forums either.

RockStar36
08-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Wait wait wait...

We're basing this off a Flyers fan who didn't even know the Sabres re-signed Miller?

You know what my perception of this guy is?

Wow, do you even watch hockey or follow it, or do you just put on that Flyers jersey and hop on the wagon come playoff time.

OpIv37
08-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Wait wait wait...

We're basing this off a Flyers fan who didn't even know the Sabres re-signed Miller?

You know what my perception of this guy is?

Wow, do you even watch hockey or follow it, or do you just put on that Flyers jersey and hop on the wagon come playoff time.

trust me, he knows his ****. My wife's sister shared a house with him and he bought the Center Ice package and was watching hockey all the time.

I admitted that it was anecdotal and isn't proof of anything other than an individual opinion, but read through the thread- plenty of people confirmed that his impression is widespread.

THATHURMANATOR
08-06-2008, 09:36 AM
That Flyers fan is a hockey novice from what I have heard.

mchurchfie
08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
That Flyers fan is a hockey novice from what I have heard.
All Flyers fans SUCK.

RockStar36
08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Well I apologize, he does watch hockey.

But actually following it? I guess not.

Dr. Pepper
08-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Darcy is a pretty solid GM, but his biggest problem is spending too much on mid-level talent. The Kotaliks and Gaustads of the world shouldnt be making close to $3 million per season, they just aren't worth it. Granted we didn't end up paying him due to his heart condition, but was a 37 year old Teppo worth $2.7 million last year? NO WAY! When every player on the team is making that kind of cash, there's no room to pay for the stars and we look cheap (even though we really are spending).

ddaryl
08-11-2008, 09:41 AM

it really comes down to the Drury and briere fiasco... could have both those gus for as much as as just one of them signed for in FA..

complete lack of forsight has reduced a dominant hockey club to a club who is rebuild mode.

this offseason was also ug;ly, as I don't feel we are a better team then last year.

Ebenezer
08-11-2008, 09:47 AM
it really comes down to the Drury and briere fiasco... could have both those gus for as much as as just one of them signed for in FA..

complete lack of forsight has reduced a dominant hockey club to a club who is rebuild mode.

lack of foresight or a planned move. I keep saying...it's amazing - one of the "worst hockey days in Buffalo history" yet nobody got fired. This thing was ordered, sanctioned, blessed and decreed from on high....Tommy G. Maybe they had very good foresight on where salaries were going and knew if they were going to be competitive in 2009, '10 and so on they knew they would have to take care of Vanek, Pommers, Roy, Miller, etc. etc. It's a tough pill to swallow but for this team to remain in Buffalo they have to think long term and bodies in the seats. Win a cup in 2007-8 or not if they are cellar dwellers in 2010-1 because they ended up gutting the team very few fans would be in the seats...

Meathead
08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
the sabres have had a lot of highly paid players leave at least partially because they have done a great job lately of assembling talent. so we need to give them some credit for that

and i do definitely believe this team is essentially what they planned all along. theres still some really good quality here so they get some props for that too

their critical error was they expected one of the captains to stay and then did not make sure they secured that resource. even they admit they felt they let this one get away, and it was a painful mistake

that error has basically cost them a player somewhere. if they had done it properly i very much believe they could have afforded vanek and one of the captains for only a bit more than they were compelled to give vanek alone. that factor fades as vaneks contract shrinks, but still it was costly not only on the ice but in the pr department for certain

thats an unforced error so they understandably look like boobs

cheap boobs in fact. that might not be fair but thats just the impression. oh they stand tall, all puffed up and firm but you just cant help but feel like theyre fakes

what was i talking about

THATHURMANATOR
08-13-2008, 03:37 PM

this offseason was also ug;ly, as I don't feel we are a better team then last year.
Sure that sucked but it was now two years ago, why am I going to waste my time worrying about that crap?