• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Perception of the Sabres' FO

I ran into an acquaintance in the mall today. He's a big Flyers fan and a hockey fan in general. He hadn't heard about the Miller deal so I told him about it.

His reaction?

"Wow, you mean the Sabres actually spent money?"

To be fair, when I told him the amount, he said it sounded like a good deal.

Now, I realize this is anecdotal and it doesn't prove anything, but I always find it interesting to hear the perception of other fans who don't particularly like or dislike my favorite team in a particular sport. From conversations I've had with this guy before, I can tell that he knows his hockey. I don't think ESPN is going to be offering him Barry Melrose's job anytime soon, but he does know more than the average fan. Unfortunately, I can't say I was surprised to hear that his impression is that the Sabres don't spend money.

I have to wonder how many fans- and more importantly, players- have that same impression.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • rbochan
    Zamboni Driver
    • Jun 2008

Re: Perception of the Sabres' FO

I'm signed up for just about every hockey board out there. The Sabres management is looked at as a joke just about everywhere. While there is some respect for Darcy (and Lindy), everyone know the hands are tied.
    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

The team is right up near the cap every year so they must be spending money on something.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        The team is right up near the cap every year so they must be spending money on something.
        but sometimes perception is more important than reality. With the amount of players the Sabres have let go since the lockout, there is the perception that they don't spend money and that hurts their ability to attract new FA's (or keep current players when they become FA's for that matter).

And I'm not buying that "right up near the cap every year" thing either. Last off-season, the Rangers added Gomez AND Drury AND had overaged vets like Jagr on their roster. And look what Chicago did this off-season. Detroit had enough talent to win the Cup and still managed to land an expensive FA like Hossa (granted, it was one year, but still).

So, with other players being able to sign big names under the cap without tearing down their teams, it's easy to see where the perception that the Sabres' FO doesn't spend money. If they are spending it, it certainly doesn't seem like they're spending it wisely. A lot of other teams cram a lot more talent under the cap than the Sabres do.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

I guess I do understand what you are saying but I still feel that if the Sabres offer more money than another team the player will sign here as most are all about the bottom line.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

It doesn't help when "fans" ***** about every move the team makes.

But seriously, where does that perception come from?? It still goes back to pre-lockout days. Except for CD, DB and BC this team has laid out money for it's players. If they had kept those three they wouldn't have been able to sign Vanek or Miller long term. I still say this was all planned.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
              It doesn't help when "fans" ***** about every move the team makes.

But seriously, where does that perception come from?? It still goes back to pre-lockout days. Except for CD, DB and BC this team has laid out money for it's players. If they had kept those three they wouldn't have been able to sign Vanek or Miller long term. I still say this was all planned.
              then it was poorly planned. Vanek and Miller left a lot to be desired last year. I hope their plan is worth a whole wasted season.

and btw fans ALWAYS have the right to ***** about moves that don't help the team win because by definition, fans want the team to win.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

In 100% honesty I would rather have Miller, Roy, Vanek than Drury, Briere, and Campbell.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                  In 100% honesty I would rather have Miller, Roy, Vanek than Drury, Briere, and Campbell.
                  I'd rather have Drury or Briere than Vanek.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    then it was poorly planned. Vanek and Miller left a lot to be desired last year. I hope their plan is worth a whole wasted season.

and btw fans ALWAYS have the right to ***** about moves that don't help the team win because by definition, fans want the team to win.
                    that's right...cut your losses after one season...what was I thinking?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

live for today....

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

live for today....
                        I'd rather live for yesterday because it was better than today.

I'm really ****ing sick of the Bills and now the Sabres building for a future that never quite gets here. If you have a chance to win NOW, you take it. We had a chance to win NOW, and the Sabres' FO passed on it. So now we have to wait several more years for these guys to develop, all while hoping the FO is right about them, because if they were wrong it's right back to square one.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

that's right...cut your losses after one season...what was I thinking?
                          where the hell did you come up with that from the comment you quoted? Nothing I said was even close to that.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

No They are almost 10 years older. NO CHANCE.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

I'd rather live for yesterday because it was better than today.

I'm really ****ing sick of the Bills and now the Sabres building for a future that never quite gets here. If you have a chance to win NOW, you take it. We had a chance to win NOW, and the Sabres' FO passed on it. So now we have to wait several more years for these guys to develop, all while hoping the FO is right about them, because if they were wrong it's right back to square one.
                              Remember OP Yesterday didnt' win us a cup.

Comment

Working...
                              X