• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Is Angelo going to be the odd man out?

Lee Evans? Lock him up long-term!

Jason Peters? Pay the man a lot of money!

Angelo Crowell? Not so much... and here's why.

Kawika Mitchell got $17.5 over 5 years.

In comparison Lance Briggs, albeit a $36 million deal in total over 6 years, is really a 2 year, $15 million deal.

Kawika is going to cost at least 50% less than Lance and I'm betting the production isn't going to be that noticeablely different.

That brings us Angelo... even if he goes out and has a Derrick Brooks type year I just can't see paying this man that much money to stay as a Buffalo Bill.

We also have the foreseable future locked up with Poz and Mitchell. Don't forget that Angelo has also had his share of injuries over the year. We'll have to see what the free agency market looks like come the offseason, but I just can't see the Bills throwing mad money at Angelo in an effort to keep him when players like Peters and Evans are going to be getting monster contracts.

If Angelo is willing to take Mitchell type money to stay, then I think he ends up playing out his career in Buffalo. If not, I'm thinking we'll have a new strongside backer come 2009.
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: Is Angelo going to be the odd man out?

Crowell was 9th in the league in tackles last year. First in the AFC for outside LBs. You are underestimating his importance.

I wouldn't let him go. Even if I had to Fanchise him. Which I think would be somewhere near 7 a year.

If we are going to pay Kelsey, and not Crowell, I will puke.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by yordad
      Crowell was 9th in the league in tackles last year. First in the AFC for outside LBs. You are underestimating his importance.

I wouldn't let him go. Even if I had to Fanchise him. Which I think would be somewhere near 7 a year.

X 2.

Comment

• Confused
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Jun 2007

I think our 1st pick next year, barring any real weirdness, will be either a LB or a Safety. I would say Cro is a good LB but not elite. If we give him a new contract, it wont be anythig crazy, and if he thinks he can get more, let him. Aside from his familiarity with the system, he expendable.

Comment

• Mitchell55
          only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
          • Feb 2008

8th.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

If Crowell demands Briggs type money, can't see it happening, he's nowhere near as talented or good. He'll be as good as gone.

Franchise tag a guy who can't stay healthy and will likely be our worst starting LB at the end of this season? Are you high? Seriously?

We've made mistakes on giving Denney/Kelsay big dollars, let's not make the same mistake with Angelo.

Comment

• Homegrown
              Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
              • Jul 2008

Cro won't be the "odd man out" simply because it doesn't take much to sign SLB's.

In the pecking order of defensive player paydays, DE, DT, CB, WLB & MLB take priority when it comes to big payouts.

Teams just don't pay big money to SLB.

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hoofhearted
                I think our 1st pick next year, barring any real weirdness, will be either a LB or a Safety. I would say Cro is a good LB but not elite. If we give him a new contract, it wont be anythig crazy, and if he thinks he can get more, let him. Aside from his familiarity with the system, he expendable.
                I don't think you will be calling him non-elite and expendable when the media catches up with what the coaches already know. Which will be right around the time he makes the probowl.

He is one of the top strong side LBs in the league. Whats a guy got to do to earn your elite label?
                "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by coastal
                  Lee Evans? Lock him up long-term!

Jason Peters? Pay the man a lot of money!

Angelo Crowell? Not so much... and here's why.

Kawika Mitchell got $17.5 over 5 years.

In comparison Lance Briggs, albeit a $36 million deal in total over 6 years, is really a 2 year, $15 million deal.

Kawika is going to cost at least 50% less than Lance and I'm betting the production isn't going to be that noticeablely different.

That brings us Angelo... even if he goes out and has a Derrick Brooks type year I just can't see paying this man that much money to stay as a Buffalo Bill.

We also have the foreseable future locked up with Poz and Mitchell. Don't forget that Angelo has also had his share of injuries over the year. We'll have to see what the free agency market looks like come the offseason, but I just can't see the Bills throwing mad money at Angelo in an effort to keep him when players like Peters and Evans are going to be getting monster contracts.

If Angelo is willing to take Mitchell type money to stay, then I think he ends up playing out his career in Buffalo. If not, I'm thinking we'll have a new strongside backer come 2009.

the Bills have put theirselves in a situation where they can take care of Crowell and everybody else. they have a lot of money available and a lot of players signed.
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                    the Bills have put theirselves in a situation where they can take care of Crowell and everybody else. they have a lot of money available and a lot of players signed.
                    While that is true, it doesn't mean they should overpay any and every player they have just because we, as fans, think they're great. Or not so great as some cases have been.

Not to diss Angelo, but he's not known around the league much because he's an average LB. I'm not sure if he's even worth Kawika Mitchell money, let alone Briggs or franchise tag money.

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by MLynch23
                      8th.
                      Link

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

So since you're using amount of tackles as an indicator of how good Crowell is...

Seeing he has more tackles than Urlacher, Brooks, Ray Ray...is he a better player than them too?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Crowell is a very good player.
                          But his injury history is concerning. And while he was high in the league in tackles last year, that was w/o Poz at MLB. I guarentee that he will not be that high this year (assuming Poz is healthy all year)

But I agree and have said before - players like Crowell ten to get overpaid the most. Very good, solid upper mid-level players get paid like all-pros. And he knows it.

So I don't see him extending unless the offer is kick ass because he knows he can get overpaid in the open market.
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Luisito23
                            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                            • Apr 2003

Crowell does not deserve the cash that he's going to want plus he's could easily be replaced through the draft, so therefore I could care less if he goes or stays.
                            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

It's legit speculation.

A numbers game says Evans & Peters are miles ahead in the priority list of who gets the next big contract.

I don't care about tackling stats, since London Fletcher proved it's not all about tackling numbers but impact at the LOS. Plus LB's are generally easy to find in most drafts.

I like Crowell but do not consider him elite at all. If he's thinking huge $$, then we know what we'll be picking within the first 3 rounds next year or looking for one in FA.

I don't always agree with the Bills evaluations ( see Schobels 2nd contract & Kelsay ) but if Evans & eventually Peters both get huge new deals, then Crowell leaving will hardly be a shock.

Welcome to the cap age. It's not unique to the Bills, even though many here will tell you different.Is Asante Samuel still with the Pats ? Nope. Every team lets some good to great players walk.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X