PDA

View Full Version : Bills Coach Cracking Down

Pride
08-27-2002, 11:21 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.cfm

BILLS COACH CRACKING DOWN

A league source tells us that Buffalo coach Gregg Williams was livid following the team's most recent pre-season performance, a 19-7 loss to Indianapolis.

According to the source, Williams' primary gripe was that the players took too many "stupid penalties." For the game, the Bills drew sixteen penalties, for 97 yards.

A brutal practice session is expected on Monday -- Williams told his staff to be sure that the players have three meals and a snack on Monday, since they'll be at the facility all day long.

Earthquake Enyart
08-27-2002, 11:32 AM
I noticed he's not wearing the pleated shorts any more. I think he means business.

Cowboy
08-27-2002, 11:36 AM
Williams is useless. Get someone in here who knows wht the hell he's doing.

WG
08-27-2002, 12:02 PM
I'm sure he is miffed! Afterall, who do you think is gonna take the heat if this team doesn't improve much beyond 5-11 or 6-10???

He owns the hot seat for the moment, although I partially feel bad for him in that TD didn't exactly address our most dire defensive need at all this offseason in our DL. So he's partly to blame although it will fall almost entirely on GW.

EricStratton
08-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Wys, it was only one offseason. How many holes did you really expect TD to fill.

Considering all the changes GW is fairly secure. If we lose games because the DL he will get another year without question. If the entire team breaks down then he is out the door.

Ebenezer
08-27-2002, 12:13 PM
I am afraid to say that the clock is officially ticking on GW.

FlownTheCoop
08-27-2002, 12:15 PM
It probably depends on how they perform, not just their record. GW promised the team wouldn't have that many penalties last year, and they ended up taking some really stupid ones that likely cost them at least a game or two.

They could be 6-10 and headed for improvement, and he could be safe. But if they keep taking stupid penalties and putting in some questionable plays, I think TD's patience will be wearing thin by December.

TedMock
08-27-2002, 12:15 PM
I don't see how anyone can realistically judge him as a coach considering the crap he stepped in by taking the job. Marv was 5-11 his first season and we didn't run him out of town. If GW does prove to suck as a coach than I agree with firing him. In all seriousness, nobody could've won last year. He needs to win 7 games this year with what he has. If he doesn't than I agree that maybe a change needs to be made but the season hasn't even started yet so I can I honestly make an educated assessment. I agree with Wys, we really could use a big fat DT.

Ebenezer
08-27-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
I don't see how anyone can realistically judge him as a coach considering the crap he stepped in by taking the job. Marv was 5-11 his first season and we didn't run him out of town. If GW does prove to suck as a coach than I agree with firing him. In all seriousness, nobody could've won last year. He needs to win 7 games this year with what he has. If he doesn't than I agree that maybe a change needs to be made but the season hasn't even started yet so I can I honestly make an educated assessment. I agree with Wys, we really could use a big fat DT.

Marv's first full year was 1987...he was 7-8 and that was the strike shortened season...with the regulars he went 6-6...the following year they went 12-4 and to the AFC Championship game. Do you think this team is even close to that?

clumping platelets
08-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Was it all over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Dozerdog
08-27-2002, 12:40 PM
Germans?

Ah forget it.... he's on a roll....

FlownTheCoop
08-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Dogs & cats living together - total anarchy!

casdhf
08-27-2002, 01:27 PM
TD will stick with GW. He doesn't like to look wrong and TD passed over alot of other candidates to give Williams the job. I doubt he'd wanna eat that. I think he sticks around a little while

Pride
08-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Gilbride for HC in 2003! you heard it here first!

DraftBoy
08-27-2002, 01:49 PM
Gray for head coach in 2003! You heard it here first!

TedMock
08-27-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Marv's first full year was 1987...he was 7-8 and that was the strike shortened season...with the regulars he went 6-6...the following year they went 12-4 and to the AFC Championship game. Do you think this team is even close to that?

I was thinking back on the 1986 season but forgot about all the coaching changes those years. No, I don't think we're close to 12-4 but I'm not ready to fire yet.