PDA

View Full Version : New bills WR

Mitchell55
08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
CJ hawthorne was signed. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1178161392542447879&q=cj+hawthorne&ei=tkKXSNHeJozuqALw_bSqBg

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 12:58 PM
he's a long shot but we need help at WR.

Anyone know if he can play S/T? Maybe he's an Aiken replacement.

DrGraves
08-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Evans, Hardy, Reed, Parrish, and apparently Steve Johnson looks good... I'm happy with that 5 wideout set.

Mitchell55
08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
he's a long shot but we need help at WR.

Anyone know if he can play S/T? Maybe he's an Aiken replacement.

Probably. He used to be a corner and is fast so he could probably make the team as a ST.

trapezeus
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
it seems like the bills philosophy is to let the other team score at will and then try to return the KO for a TD. It's kind of annoying.

Michael82
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't understand the need for this.... :ill:

Pride
08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Its training camp... i dont care who they sign... if they are still here come September... then I'll care

Mitchell55
08-04-2008, 01:17 PM
it seems like the bills philosophy is to let the other team score at will and then try to return the KO for a TD. It's kind of annoying.

What was the point of that?

Mr. Miyagi
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Why wasn't he drafted?

justasportsfan
08-04-2008, 01:21 PM
What was the point of that?
it's called a knee jerk reaction. They sign someone who is most likely a camp fodder then we start overreacting by blasting the bills for doing so.

Jan Reimers
08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
With both Johnson and Hardy having missed some camp time, I'd say we needed a body.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Evans, Hardy, Reed, Parrish, and apparently Steve Johnson looks good... I'm happy with that 5 wideout set.

I'm wondering if Reed will be the odd man out....

Jan Reimers
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm wondering if Reed will be the odd man out....
I don't think we cut a veteran who caught 51 balls last year and is our best blocking WR.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't think we cut a veteran who caught 51 balls last year and is our best blocking WR.

well now that depends. Can Hardy block? Plus, Reed has already missed some camp time too.

btw, why is it that every time someone mentions Reed, someone else jumps in talking about how he's such a great blocker? Yeah, he blocks well for a wide receiver and it's a nice addition, but a wide receiver is supposed to excel at RECEIVING. It's like a barber who makes great conversation but gives ****ty haircuts. Sooner or later you have to stop going back so you don't look like a tool.

raphael120
08-04-2008, 02:07 PM
well now that depends. Can Hardy block? Plus, Reed has already missed some camp time too.

btw, why is it that every time someone mentions Reed, someone else jumps in talking about how he's such a great blocker? Yeah, he blocks well for a wide receiver and it's a nice addition, but a wide receiver is supposed to excel at RECEIVING. It's like a barber who makes great conversation but gives ****ty haircuts. Sooner or later you have to stop going back so you don't look like a tool.

god i love your analogies. we need to start a collection of them on here.

priceless!

unfortunately all Bills fans have been getting ****ty haircuts for 9 years now and keep coming back. thats OK though, apparently if you look like a tool, it attracts the hottest chics.

Tatonka
08-04-2008, 02:08 PM

based on the huge upgrades to our defense via free agency and the way our draft went, how do you figure this statement to be true?

:poop:

Jan Reimers
08-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Op, with our relative inexperience on offense, why would we cut a veteran who had 51 catches last year? And while you don't value Reed's blocking, I'll bet the coaching staff and the other offensive players do.

We will keep at least 5 WRs. How Reed won't be one of the top 5 is hard to imagine.

trapezeus
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
guys, i was going for humor here. it just seems that any time we sign a scrub, everyone is quick to say he can play special teams, and "we can get back to the job of being an elite ST unit."

I really don't care for an elite ST unit. I'd like a capable one and an elite defense and offense.

I recognize the bills made the effort to upgrade their defense this year. i'm excited to see how it does. I hope stroud's leg is good and that mitchell isn't going to have a letdown a year after the superbowl.

madness
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
R. Parrish part II

Confused
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
20 rep @225lbs- he's strong, 4.42 40yd-not terribly fast but quick enough. Best case-ST depth. Worst case- he is man no.54

bigbub2352
08-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I think this signing is to get another body in camp, with Johnson and haryd limited, maybe they felt that Reed and Parrish and Evans were getting to many reps in the absence,

We need our starters fresh this is camp fodder signing at the very best hope for him to compete with Jones for a PS spot

ddaryl
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
In regard to Josh Reed

Does anyone here need a reminder that he had the 2nd most catches for Bills WR's last season ??? and played 15 games ?

How many catches did Lee have in 16 games.... 55

Did anyone mention Reed is a solid blocker ?

how anyone could possibly think that Reed will not make this team because we signed C J camp fodder is mind boggling.

and although Reed had some so-so years he is the perfect WR to have as your #3 sometimes #2 guy. Reed could be a causalty in the years ahead, but not this year

justasportsfan
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Sooner or later you have to stop going back so you don't look like a tool.
the same goes for those who keep changing opinions about Reed. He sucks, no he doesn't, I may be wrong about him,he's mediocre . etc.etc.

OpIv37
08-04-2008, 02:58 PM
In regard to Josh Reed

Does anyone here need a reminder that he had the 2nd most catches for Bills WR's last season ??? and played 15 games ?

How many catches did Lee have in 16 games.... 55

Did anyone mention Reed is a solid blocker ?

how anyone could possibly think that Reed will not make this team because we signed C J camp fodder is mind boggling.

and although Reed had some so-so years he is the perfect WR to have as your #3 sometimes #2 guy. Reed could be a causalty in the years ahead, but not this year

Reed has already missed some camp time. Maybe it was something minor and this is just a body to take up space. Maybe it's something major and the team is preparing for a WR shortage down the road- we have no way of knowing.

But Reed has never lived up to the hype he had when he was drafted. Him being second in receptions on this team and only 4 behind Evans is more a knock on Evans and the rest of the passing game than it is a compliment to Reed.

Some so-so years? Every year has been so-so for him. He makes a big 3rd down catch and everyone gets a hard on for him, then he'll go 2 games without doing anything significant. And yes, people mentioned that Reed is a solid blocker. Someone mentions it EVERY ****ING TIME his name comes up. But you know what? He's a RECEIVER, he's supposed to CATCH first, block second.

Some of it isn't Reed's fault- he's a #3 that this team has tried to force into a #2 role, and it hasn't worked. But this argument that Reed is irreplaceable because he blocks and only had 4 less catches than Evans is just illogical.

John Doe
08-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Actually, this signing makes sense in the end for the practice squad.

Hawthorne has experience at two postions and can give a "look" at either of them during practice.

ddaryl
08-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Reed has already missed some camp time. Maybe it was something minor and this is just a body to take up space. Maybe it's something major and the team is preparing for a WR shortage down the road- we have no way of knowing..

That is a logical assumption, but unless Reed is going to miss games I doubt he'll be a casualty

But Reed has never lived up to the hype he had when he was drafted. Him being second in receptions on this team and only 4 behind Evans is more a knock on Evans and the rest of the passing game than it is a compliment to Reed..

No its more of a knock on our QB play, and both WR's would have demonstrated more with better QB play and Signal calling IMO.

Some so-so years? Every year has been so-so for him. He makes a big 3rd down catch and everyone gets a hard on for him, then he'll go 2 games without doing anything significant. And yes, people mentioned that Reed is a solid blocker. Someone mentions it EVERY ****ING TIME his name comes up. But you know what? He's a RECEIVER, he's supposed to CATCH first, block second. .

Last Year Reed was one of hte brighter spots on our WR core. Until Hardy and Johnson can fully prove they are significantly better Reed is staying. Blocking is very important, and it is one of his strengths. There are cases of WR's being so bad a blocking they lose playing time even if they can catch better.

Some of it isn't Reed's fault- he's a #3 that this team has tried to force into a #2 role, and it hasn't worked. But this argument that Reed is irreplaceable because he blocks and only had 4 less catches than Evans is just illogical.

He is irreplaceable when you throw out names like CJ Hawthorne. Reeds familiarity with the teams playbook, players, pretty much sums it all up. Reed's a keeper this year.

Name: C.J. Hawthorne
College: Hawaii (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/college.php?DSTeamId=110&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC) Number: 2
Height: 5-11 Weight: 167
Position: WR (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC) Pos2: CB/KR
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2008 (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC)
40 Time: 4.48 40 Low: 4.43 40 High: 4.56
Projected Round: (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/value.php?projected=&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC) Stock: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/images/same.gif
Rated number 74 out of 335 WR's 582 / 2517 TOTAL</STRONG>

That is unless someone offers us a 2nd rd pick or a LT for Reed. This year we need his familiarity to help offset the 2 rookie WR's we will have on this roster. Hardy and Johnson.

The same thought process that says Hardy will help Evans can also be associated to the rest of the WR corps. Reed is replaceable, but not this year IMO

bigbub2352
08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Josh Reed Sucks, i wont change my opinion

Ronald Hinckleberry
08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
We should have signed Chris Henry or brought moulds back.

Who is this bum anyways? Just another tackling dummy I take it.

paladin warrior
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
wow he lived in hawaii. He went to a airplane flew all way to buffalo.. How many hrs to fly from Hawaii to Buffalo...

mikemac2001
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I was at training at the galleria months back and he was there for open tryout...and i saw him in hotel with Hawaii gear on and was like YO why you wearing hawaii gear and he was like o i played WR there and told me he was at the tryouts....seemed like cool guy even when i was drunk buggin him....i told him that hopefully i see him catching touchdowns

haha laughed when i got the v text

Night Train
08-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Let's see. Reed is having his back examined. Hardy & Johnson have been banged up.

The WR unit need another body for camp. How hard is that to figure ?

Crisis
08-05-2008, 06:50 AM
wow he lived in hawaii. He went to a airplane flew all way to buffalo.. How many hrs to fly from Hawaii to Buffalo...

ive done it before! :D

Jan Reimers
08-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Josh Reed Sucks, i wont change my opinion
I think many people are down on Reed because he's been forced to play at the number 2 WR position much of his career. He is certainly not an ideal #2.

But as a 3/4 guy, he can catch the ball, run after the catch, move the chains, and block.

When Hardy assumes the #2 WR role, Reed will serve us very well as the 3rd or 4th guy.