PDA

View Full Version : Okay, time to resolve the Peters issue.

HHURRICANE
08-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Okay, the games are over. As pointed out in the Buffalo News yesterday, it's time to get our best player into camp, or at least get a new deal worked out.

If this team has any chance at a playoff spot it won't be without Peters on the field. Period.

I'm not going to watch Chambers get schooled in week 2, have Edwards get hurt, and than watch J.P. Epilepsy run around the field for the rest of the season.

I've personally invested way too much time into this team to watch us spend another season struggling.

Get Peters finished.

THATHURMANATOR
08-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Agreed this is really getting ridiculous.

Romes
08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Hell, I'd settle for a few words from Peters or Parker about this situation. The silence sucks.

Mitchy moo
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Okay, the games are over. As pointed out in the Buffalo News yesterday, it's time to get our best player into camp, or at least get a new deal worked out.

If this team has any chance at a playoff spot it won't be without Peters on the field. Period.

I'm not going to watch Chambers get schooled in week 2, have Edwards get hurt, and than watch J.P. Epilepsy run around .

JP Epilepsy, LOL.

Jan Reimers
08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't know how the Bills even begin discussions when neither Peters nor his agent will talk. I guess we send them a big check or a new contract and hope it gets their attention?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
08-05-2008, 08:40 AM
I agreed with management that Peters should show good faith and get into camp, then they would renogotiate.....then I thought about it...and Peters has the most to lose here. He is going to get 1-2 big contracts in his career, this being one of them...and from those contracts has to take care of his family for life.

Can't begrudge the guy for that, especially when he isn't the smartest guy on earth....he's for sure going to be listening to his agent because he is not self secure enough to think it out on his own.

If he shows up to camp and gets injured on the second day.....and that injury leads to poor performance, etc......his current right tackle contract is the best he'll ever do....and that sucks for him. The Bills would have no pity.

This is a business. The smart business move for Peters is to hold out until they renegotiate....and the smart business move for the Bills is to renegotiate now....the more time they waste without having Peters in camp, the closer they get to starting the season off poorly and having to play catch up all year....something that young teams are not usually very good at.

The Bills have reached the point where they have to get a deal done, period.

ddaryl
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
The Bills have tried to contact Peters and his agent

Start placing the blame where it belongs... Peters and Parker...

The Bills are completley out of this equation, and no way in hell will they just hand over money without some dialog, and a physical.

Peters is holding the team hostage and everyones ire should be pointed towards the obvious.

Ickybaluky
08-05-2008, 08:53 AM
The Bills have tried to contact Peters and his agent

Start placing the blame where it belongs... Peters and Parker...

The Bills are completley out of this equation, and no way in hell will they just hand over money without some dialog, and a physical.

Peters is holding the team hostage and everyones ire should be pointed towards the obvious.

Your really believe that they have tried to contact him and he won't return their calls? What is he holding out for?

The current situation is clear:

1) Peters is holding out for more money

2) The Bills have told him he has to come back to camp before they talk money

That is the standoff. If the Bills were to reach out to Parker and say they were ready to talk money, do you think he wouldn't talk?

At a minimum, the Bills should offer to bump his salary this year and re-do the contract after the year. When Parker and Richard Seymour held out, that is what the Pats did. Seymour camp back with a 40% raise in salary for that year and signed a big-money contract extension after the season.

Peters is too important for the Bills to let it drag into the season. It would be monumentally stupid, and they would be punishing themselves as much as him. They need to deal with him.

Mitchy moo
08-05-2008, 09:04 AM
How many more years did seymour have left on his contract??

Your really believe that they have tried to contact him and he won't return their calls? What is he holding out for?

That is the standoff. If the Bills were to reach out to Parker and say they were ready to talk money, do you think he wouldn't talk?

At a minimum, the Bills should offer to bump his salary this year and re-do the contract after the year. When Parker and Richard Seymour held out, that is what the Pats did. Seymour camp back with a 40% raise in salary for that year and signed a big-money contract extension after the season.

Peters is too important for the Bills to let it drag into the season. It would be monumentally stupid, and they would be punishing themselves as much as him. They need to deal with him.

ddaryl
08-05-2008, 09:05 AM

Text messages and phone calLs to Parker and Peters have not been returned.

what else can they do ?

I have yet to here Peters or Parker do any talking saying that they haven't been contacted... therefore the blame at this point is only on Peters and Parker. Nor would they offer to bum his salry without talking. Peters and Parker are just being assanine *****s IMO.

When Peters and Parker state they have tried to contact the Bills but the Bills won't return their calls then we'll discuss it from that angle... as of now we know that the Bills have tried to contact them.

Use a tad bit of common sense here. Nobody in their right mind is going to whip up a 50 million $$$ contract without discussion 1st.

I'm in the camp that seems to believe Peters is still injured... Because his silence does not make any sense.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM

ONe side has publicly made claims and the other side didn't deny it.

DraftBoy
08-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't know how the Bills even begin discussions when neither Peters nor his agent will talk. I guess we send them a big check or a new contract and hope it gets their attention?

That's exactly what they should do. Parker's fax machine should be buzzing with a new contract offer and a note from Brandon, that says call me, lets make a deal!

Calls and Texts lecturing them on being a good person and a showing of good faith are not being returned but we've heard no indication that they are even mentioning dollars yet. Plus I think both Parker and the Bills are being over dramatic in the media.

DraftBoy
08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
ONe side has publicly made claims and the other side didn't deny it.

Why would you deny it? This isn't a he said, she said game. Parker knows what he's doing, he has no need to resort to games.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Why would you deny it? This isn't a he said, she said game. Parker knows what he's doing, he has no need to resort to games.

we are making assumptions on what we know. So far one side has said something and the other hasn't . For now we're assuming that the bills have made contact and Peters/Parker hasn' replied....unless you have inside sources too.

DraftBoy
08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
we are making assumptions on what we know. So far one side has said something and the other hasn't . For now we're assuming that the bills have made contact and Peters/Parker hasn' replied....unless you have inside sources too.

Im not really making any assumptions Im going on what we know and I see no logic as to why Peters or Parker should respond unless their is talk about a new deal now, not after he reports. As NE has pointed out numerous times, Parker has a way of doing things that works for him and produces results, why in the world would he bend to the will of the Bills?

Mitchy moo
08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Im not really making any assumptions Im going on what we know and I see no logic as to why Peters or Parker should respond unless their is talk about a new deal now, not after he reports. As NE has pointed out numerous times, Parker has a way of doing things that works for him and produces results, why in the world would he bend to the will of the Bills?

Well his is contracted for 3 more years to play, he is only 2 years into his current 5 year deal, the Bills made him who he is, the Bills overpaid him in the first place, just to name a few reasons.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 09:40 AM
LIke it or not you're make assumptions based on your logic and what PArker did in the past. Ddaryl was making an assumption as did NE39.

I don't care what Parker has done in the past. What he's done in the past does not make the bills FO a liar until they counter it.

It's a he said she said thing and so far the bills have said something and PArker hasn't countered it. Until then we should base our assumptions on what was said. Not your logic.

trapezeus
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
i believe we can take the "he's still injured" topic off the table. As discussed numerous times, he'll have to pass a physical for a new contract. if he was hurt, it'd make more sense to show up injured, have the bills training staff coddle you through the injury, get the time off but get paid and then come back when you can. It's a free year of money.

the only way that doesn't make sense is if the contract drops your salary based on time played. but i don't think it works that way.

This is the biggest bluff play and huge risk that Peters takes if he's still injured. i think he's got to be healthy and ready to play at a high level and sees no point in getting hurt again and missing his next big payout. i think last year's injury is opening his eyes (or his agent's) that he's really good and he's underpaid and it could all disappear on him really quickly if he doesn't strike while the iron is hot.

The biggest issue remains: why are they not even responding to the bills? This is like the police sending a hostage taking robber a note and asking for demands and getting nothing. What can the police do other than ask, "what do you want?"

DraftBoy
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Well his is contracted for 3 more years to play, he is only 2 years into his current 5 year deal, the Bills made him who he is, the Bills overpaid him in the first place, just to name a few reasons.
The Bills did not make Peters who he is. He worked hard to become the player he is the Bills didn't force him to become the player he is.

DraftBoy
08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
LIke it or not you're make assumptions based on your logic and what PArker did in the past. Ddaryl was making an assumption as did NE39.

I don't care what Parker has done in the past. What he's done in the past does not make the bills FO a liar until they counter it.

It's a he said she said thing and so far the bills have said something and PArker hasn't countered it. Until then we should base our assumptions on what was said. Not your logic.
Who called the Bills FO a liar??

JJamezz
08-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't know how much I believe the whole 'we've tried, he won't talk to us' stuff...

If that is the case, then there's more to this than getting a new deal.. He wants to miss as much of TC as possible.. He's injured or hiding something else.. He hates Buffalo.. I mean there ain't a hell of a lot of reasons for him to do what they claim he's doing that make any sense at all.

From the Bills perspective, once again if the story is indeed true, you mean to tell me they don't know where the guy lives? The guy is probably the most important player on this team, and they can't get a couple of Ralph's mooks to hop on a plane and find out what the f is going on? I don't buy it.

I realize any guy who likes to wear Rick James hair beads probably isn't wound too tight to begin with, but the Bills are accomplishing nothing by sitting on their hands and doing nothing.

I totally agree HH.. Initially I thought this was being blown out of proportion and Peters would be in camp within the first week or so.. But now I don't see any reason to hope he'll report at all or be on the field when the games start to count.

And what a complete f'ng joke it will be, what an utter embarrassment, that this team that's suffered through some of the worst oline play I've ever seen over the last 10 years, has FINALLY put together a unit that is above average, potentially (arguably) one of the best in the league, is just willing to piss this season away because they're either too cheap or too lazy to make sure their best player is on the field, and that they're putting the best product on the field for the fans who have done their part this offseason with some of the best ticket sales the Bills have ever seen. Then again, I may have just answered my own question, once the tickets are sold, who gives a crap, right?

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Who called the Bills FO a liar??
:rofl: No0 one. the bills claimed they tried to contact Peters and have had no replies. Parker/Peters hasn't come out to say whether thats true or not, we'll have to base our assumptions on that .

We have one side to a story and the other side hasn't said anything.

trapezeus
08-05-2008, 09:50 AM
maybe ralph bet the under this season?

HHURRICANE
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I have a hard time believing that no one is taking the Bills calls.

HHURRICANE
08-05-2008, 09:54 AM
The Buffalo News article made a great point about the fact that the Bills don't deserve much credit for developing the guy considering the line has been primarily built through FA and not the draft.

The guy did his job of becoming the best player on the team.

patmoran2006
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
NE39 said it best in the thread...

If the Bills dont do a deal with Peters, and/or they dont even talk about a deal until he reports to camp.. If Peters doesnt, the team and its fans will suffer as much as Peters.. Its Lose, Lose for everyone.

Ickybaluky
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
How many more years did seymour have left on his contract??

Two.

Ickybaluky
08-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Text messages and phone calLs to Parker and Peters have not been returned.

what else can they do ?

If their stance is that they aren't negotiating until he is in camp, what is there to say?

If they call and are ready to talk money, you can bet they get a call back.

DrGraves
08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
He will be in camp eventually... has there ever actually been a player that has sat out an entire season? And if he thinks a team is going to pay him after not playing a down for a year, hes crazy.

Ickybaluky
08-05-2008, 12:14 PM
:rofl: No0 one. the bills claimed they tried to contact Peters and have had no replies. Parker/Peters hasn't come out to say whether thats true or not, we'll have to base our assumptions on that .

We have one side to a story and the other side hasn't said anything.

If the Bills call but aren't willing to talk money, then why return the call?

He is holding out for more money. If they call and tell him they are willing to talk money, they call back. That is the way it works.

Really, why do you think he is holding out?

Mitchy moo
08-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Two.

You're smart enough to know that there is a huge difference between 2 years left versus 3. Peters just collected his signing bonus a few years ago and we made a large commitment without him proving anything, Seymour was awesome for several years before he pulled his weight. I consider these major differences between them.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
If the Bills call but aren't willing to talk money, then why return the call?

He is holding out for more money. If they call and tell him they are willing to talk money, they call back. That is the way it works.

Really, why do you think he is holding out?

based on the past Russ does give players their money. We did it for Schobel but like I said he showed up.

Evans too wants a new contract and whats been reported ,it's being worked on. Could it be because he showed up? Urlacher showed up at his OTA's too.

I don't think the bills are being unreasonable. THey've proven that under Marv/Russ. As a matter of fact, it's the opposite. They supposedly overpay.

Ickybaluky
08-05-2008, 12:50 PM
based on the past Russ does give players their money. We did it for Schobel but like I said he showed up.

Evans too wants a new contract and whats been reported ,it's being worked on. Could it be because he showed up? Urlacher showed up at his OTA's too.

I don't think the bills are being unreasonable. THey've proven that under Marv/Russ. As a matter of fact, it's the opposite. They supposedly overpay.

I never said they are being unreasonable. However, whether it is reasonable or right is not relevant. Bottom line is he has out-performed his contract and wants more money. He is willing to not play to get it.

The guy is a key player, so there are different rules. Most players, if they stay away, you can hard line because they are replaceable. The Pats have taken a hard line contractually with a bunch of players, but they caved to Seymour. If Brady left camp tomorrow, you bet your ass they would cave to him as well. When a guy is that critical to team success, you play by different rules.

The Bills have been building their team to the point where they are ready to contend for the playoffs. Peters being out jeopardizes that. You want to jeopardize a possible playoff season to hold up the validity of a contract in the NFL, where they really don't mean much? This isn't 1975.

The Bills need to call up Peters and be ready to talk money. If they do that, he will respond because that is what he is looking for.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I never said they are being unreasonable. However, whether it is reasonable or right is not relevant. Bottom line is he has out-performed his contract and wants more money. He is willing to not play to get it..I never said you said the bills are being unreasonable but my argument is , they do pay out to the extent that some people even say that they overpay. IMO, Peters just has to show up.

The guy is a key player, so there are different rules. Most players, if they stay away, you can hard line because they are replaceable. The Pats have taken a hard line contractually with a bunch of players, but they caved to Seymour. If Brady left camp tomorrow, you bet your ass they would cave to him as well. When a guy is that critical to team success, you play by different rules.Evans is a key player as is Schobel. They both showed up and the bills have responded.

The Bills have been building their team to the point where they are ready to contend for the playoffs. Peters being out jeopardizes that. You want to jeopardize a possible playoff season to hold up the validity of a contract in the NFL, where they really don't mean much? This isn't 1975..no argument here

The Bills need to call up Peters and be ready to talk money. If they do that, he will respond because that is what he is looking for.

they said that they have contacted Peters and that he didn't reply, I would tend to believe that what they are saying is true since the other side hasn't denied it. UNtil Peters disputes this you are making you own assumptions that the bills didn't call them even though they admitted they did.

Mitchy moo
08-05-2008, 01:03 PM
I never said they are being unreasonable. However, whether it is reasonable or right is not relevant. Bottom line is he has out-performed his contract and wants more money. He is willing to not play to get it.

The guy is a key player, so there are different rules. Most players, if they stay away, you can hard line because they are replaceable. The Pats have taken a hard line contractually with a bunch of players, but they caved to Seymour. If Brady left camp tomorrow, you bet your ass they would cave to him as well. When a guy is that critical to team success, you play by different rules.

The Bills have been building their team to the point where they are ready to contend for the playoffs. Peters being out jeopardizes that. You want to jeopardize a possible playoff season to hold up the validity of a contract in the NFL, where they really don't mean much? This isn't 1975.

You start start showing it's easy to get more money, you'll have a real long line at that well.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
You start start showing it's easy to get more money, you'll have a real long line at that well.
the bills are partly at fault when they gave lesser players more money.

Mitchy moo
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
the bills are partly at fault when they gave lesser players more money.

Peters was overpaid until last year as well.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Peters was overpaid until last year as well.

It's not his fault they moved him to LT which maid him underpaid.

Ickybaluky
08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
they said that they have contacted Peters and that he didn't reply, I would tend to believe that what they are saying is true since the other side hasn't denied it. UNtil Peters disputes this you are making you own assumptions that the bills didn't call them even though they admitted they did.

You are being obtuse. He is holding out for more money. If they talk to him about more money, he will stop holding out. That isn't really too hard to follow.

You can talk all you want about him coming to camp first and whether he is selfish or not. The point is, he is holding out for more money, so it is easy to see what it will take to get him to stop holding out. Right or wrong, that is the bottom line.

If the Bills want to make an example of him or make a stand that a contract means a contract, they are being stupid. He is an elite LT, there are only a few in the NFL like him. Plus, he is only 26. If the Bills don't go to him with dollars in hand they are risking their season. That is dumb, bottom line.

PECKERWOOD
08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Well his is contracted for 3 more years to play, he is only 2 years into his current 5 year deal, the Bills made him who he is, the Bills underpaid him in the first place, just to name a few reasons.

There, fixed it. :up:

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
You are being obtuse. He is holding out for more money. If they talk to him about more money, he will stop holding out. That isn't really too hard to follow.

You can talk all you want about him coming to camp first and whether he is selfish or not. The point is, he is holding out for more money, so it is easy to see what it will take to get him to stop holding out. Right or wrong, that is the bottom line.

If the Bills want to make an example of him or make a stand that a contract means a contract, they are being stupid. He is an elite LT, there are only a few in the NFL like him. Plus, he is only 26. If the Bills don't go to him with dollars in hand they are risking their season. That is dumb, bottom line.
I have never denied he's holding out for more money. It's pretty obvious. Again my argument is whether the bills contacted him or not. They said they have and they say he hasn't replied. Thats all.

X-Era
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM

I'm not going to watch Chambers get schooled in week 2, have Edwards get hurt, and than watch J.P. Epilepsy run around the field for the rest of the season.

I've personally invested way too much time into this team to watch us spend another season struggling.

Get Peters finished.

Agreed, someone act like a REAL man, quit the pissing contest, and pay the guy what hes worth.

X-Era
08-05-2008, 03:05 PM

I agree. But why does he need to stay home? Why not show up and call the Bills bluff? Show up, practice and play for a few weeks, and if they dont get going on a new contract fast, leave again in a few weeks.

At least that way, he shows good faith to the team, and forces the Bills to be the bad guys.

patmoran2006
08-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I agree. But why does he need to stay home? Why not show up and call the Bills bluff? Show up, practice and play for a few weeks, and if they dont get going on a new contract fast, leave again in a few weeks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
At least that way, he shows good faith to the team, and forces the Bills to be the bad guys.<o:p></o:p>
LMAO!<o:p></o:p>
“Good faith”.> This is a cruel BUSINESS that goes both ways.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
If I were Peters, I wouldn’t show up until I got what I deserved either, and you can all hate on that as much as you want. Teams don’t show loyalty to players when it comes to money, and its vice versa with the players as well. It’s the way it is in today’s business of the NFL.<o:p></o:p>
You ever hear of a guy named LECHARLES BENTLEY??? Who’s to say to Peters he wouldn’t report and rip his knee apart in a non-contract drill? That happens, he NEVER gets his raise.<o:p></o:p>
It sucks he’s not in camp, but if he DESERVES to get paid, like its universally acknowledged on here; then he shouldn’t report until he gets a new deal or at the very worst, the parameters of a new deal are in place.<o:p></o:p>