PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks top O-lines

Bling
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
18. Miami Dolphins
Obviously, the new powers in charge are putting a lot of emphasis on rebuilding the offensive line. This is a great strategy, and the Dolphins' line should be much better this season. Jake Long, the No. 1 overall selection in April's draft, might not be a left tackle prospect like Tony Boselli or Orlando Pace, but he is a nasty run-blocker with great size and technique. He should be very solid on the left side, and his addition allows Miami to move Vernon Carey to right tackle, a much better fit for his skill set. They could rank among the top tackle pairs in the league within the next few years. As the clock struck midnight on the opening of free agency, Miami locked up Justin Smiley as its starting left guard. Smiley needs to stay healthy but should fill a tremendous void between Long and up-and-coming second-year center Samson Satele. Satele should be a fixture in the middle for years to come, which leaves right guard as the only real question mark. Overall depth also is a concern, but this unit has come a long way in a short period of time. It also should not be overlooked that Miami's front five of a year ago did an admirable job of run blocking, particularly when Ronnie Brown was toting the rock. It should be even better this year. There will be growing pains, but the foundation certainly is in place up front.

21. Buffalo Bills
Jason Peters is the rock of the Bills' offensive line and ranks among the elite left tackles in the NFL. At 6-4, 340, he has tremendous size and rare agility with a natural knee bend you just don't see from such a large person. What is amazing is that Peters was a tight end in college and could continue to get better. He makes everyone around him much more effective. Presently, he is unhappy with his contract, and the Bills would be foolish not to get him locked up for the long term. Buffalo signed LG Derrick Dockery to big money before last year, and he teamed with Peters to make up a formidable, massive left side of the line. The other three starters are not in Peters and Dockery's class, and while C Melvin Fowler is intelligent and a very good leader, he can be overwhelmed at the point of attack and struggles against big two-gapping defensive tackles. The Bills are a run-heavy offense, but their line is more effective in pass protection. New offensive coordinator Turk Schonert vows to throw the ball more this year, and that seems like a logical decision as QB Trent Edwards continues to mature.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=3447747

patmoran2006
08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Says it all about Peters' worth right there

mysticsoto
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Other Oline rankings from some sites that focus on these things for fantasy football:

FFToolbox:
Bills: 22nd
Miami: 30th

About.com
Miami: 25th

cbs sportsline:
Bills: 19th
Miami: 20th

The ESPN article you list talks alot about 'potential'...and as I said, I'm not going to give them high marks b'cse of what they might achieve. The Raiders had an A+ in potential a few years back when they got Robert Gallery - and they ended up being an F-!

PECKERWOOD
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
With Peters in the lineup I like our OL better than Miami's.

Mr. Miyagi
08-05-2008, 01:43 PM
ESPN hates us. We should know this by now.

CAbills
08-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Who cares what the preseason O-Line rankings are? Didn't ESPN also pick the Dolphins to go to the Superbowl that really panned out. I had position ranking articles months before the season starts.

BlackMetalNinja
08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
The funniest things in that article is

the Bills would be foolish not to get him locked up for the long term.

I thought we already did that once...

Bling
08-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Other Oline rankings from some sites that focus on these things for fantasy football:

FFToolbox:
Miami: 30th

About.com
Miami: 25th

cbs sportsline:
Bills: 19th
Miami: 20th

The ESPN article you list talks alot about 'potential'...and as I said, I'm not going to give them high marks b'cse of what they might achieve. The Raiders had an A+ in potential a few years back when they got Robert Gallery - and they ended up being an F-!

About.com and FFToolbox? :laughing:

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
AS if ESPN is any better.

Bling
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
AS if ESPN is any better.

:rofl:

You're absolutely nuts if you don't consider ESPN as top three in sports analyst.

BlackMetalNinja
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Congrats, your O Line "should" be better than ours... the rest of your team still is not.

mybills
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
bling, I thought you knew what "fantasy" means?

Bling
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Congrats, your O Line "should" be better than ours... the rest of your team still is not.

Mos def. I totally agree BMN.

justasportsfan
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

You're absolutely nuts if you don't consider ESPN as top three in sports analyst.
They ranked the fins to win the sb in their worst years under Wanny and Saban. They are a bunch of glorified mb posters who get paid to guess.

Scumbag College
08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
The season needs to start. Arguing about ESPN rankings of O-Lines just makes me want to fast forward to September already.

mysticsoto
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Like everyone else has said, ESPN picked Miami to the superbowl last year...there's nothing funnier than that - and their reputation just went down the drain there!

Ronald Hinckleberry
08-05-2008, 04:13 PM
No surprises here because our offensive line has been horrible for years now.

The big tuna has miami's line looking lean, meanwhile we are hoping to limit opposing defense to 6 sacks per game. Why we continue to ignore this in free agency is baffles me more than my wife does watching lifetime network all freaking day.

mysticsoto
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
No surprises here because our offensive line has been horrible for years now.

The big tuna has miami's line looking lean, meanwhile we are hoping to limit opposing defense to 6 sacks per game. Why we continue to ignore this in free agency is baffles me more than my wife does watching lifetime network all freaking day.

Huh? 6 sacks per game? Last year there were 21 sacks in the whole season. Where are you getting this 6 sacks per game number? Did you get confused in that the defense wants 6 sacks per game? ;)

ParanoidAndroid
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
ESPN is right about everything. Geniuses, I say.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=evenrow align=left><TD>18 (19)</TD><TD>Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow align=left><TD>31 (31)</TD><TD>Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

ParanoidAndroid
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Huh? 6 sacks per game? Last year there were 21 sacks in the whole season. Where are you getting this 6 sacks per game number? Did you get confused in that the defense wants 6 sacks per game? ;)

He's a troll. He made my ignore list already.

Lefty2985
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
there is no way in h*** they have a better o line then us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bling
08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
He's a troll. He made my ignore list already.

Yet you still manage to open my threads. Looks like this troll won this battle. :up:

yordad
08-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Bling, I noticed that in your poll you rated the Fin's O-line as "great". If ESPN is the authority on the matter, and their word is gold, you are wrong and a homer.

Bling
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Bling, I noticed that in your poll you rated the Fin's O-line as "great". If ESPN is the authority on the matter, and their word is gold, you are wrong and a homer.

I said they were top 12. So maybe I had a little bias that we're all guilty of. But 18 is closer to 12 than 30 like the lesser educated Bills fans think.

yordad
08-06-2008, 12:24 AM
I said they were top 12. So maybe I had a little bias that we're all guilty of. But 18 is closer to 12 than 30 like the lesser educated Bills fans think.
So, just to clarify, 12th is "great" and crap is 30th or worse?

12 is 12 numbers from one, and if still great, then 20 (twelve numbers from 32) is still crap. And at 18, they are closer to crap then great.

My point is, ESPN doesn't know all. And, that article wasn't by "ESPN", it was by "Matt Williamson". Do you think Matt Williamson is an expert in O-Lines, or a sports writer?

In my opinion, which might actually be just as good as his (just like yours could be for all I know), is the Bills have a better line, assuming Peters plays.

But, your surely right about one thing, I have been a homer once or twice.

justasportsfan
08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
But 18 is closer to 12 than 30 like the lesser educated Bills fans think.
Bling, I expected this from FTP. Not you. You're slowly starting to sound like his offspring.

ParanoidAndroid
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Yet you still manage to open my threads. Looks like this troll won this battle. :up:

That wasn't about you!

Sheesh!

What "battle" are you talking about? Are we at war?

If you were paying attention, I actually gave you props in your other O-line thread even after you negged me for something I didn't do.

What gives, man?