• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Spikes, Peters, Bills

I want to make a quick point about Takeo Spikes.. IN March of 2003, Spjkes signed with the Bills, and got $32 million over 6 years. After two Pro Bowl quality seasons, he got hurt and unfortunately for him and the team, was never quite the same again. In 2007, with two years left on his deal, he was basically salary dumped in a trade with Philadelphia.

Why do I compare this seemingly unrelated situation to Peters? Well, because it shows that the NFL is a two way street. People on here left and right are saying Peters needs to honor his contract and be in camp right now. Well, that’s fine but then why do teams like the Bills and the rest of the league (there are Spikes’ situations every year on every team) get to dump and/or cut players who are still under contract? There are many reasons, but the biggest one is the organization doesn’t want to pay them anymore, often because they under perform what they’re making.

Peters is the opposite… He’s clearly out performed the living **** out of his current contract. So as much as it sucks to fans and the team that wants him here, the bottom line is football is a BUSINESS. He wants to get paid now, who says he wont suffer a Spikes-like injury in a year or two.

What I’m saying above all is for people to not be hypocritical. If you want to blast Peters for wanting a raise, then start blasting the team that dumps guys like Spikes and Moulds because they make too much money.

This thread isn’t directed towards people who are only mad because Peters isn't in camp.. I think EVERYBODY is mad at that.. This thread is directed towards people who think that Peters doesn’t have a right to demand a new contract because he’s already under a current deal. In today’s NFL, if you outperform your contract means as little as it does when the team cuts you if you underperform.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Spikes, Peters, Bills

A player who hasn't been seen by the team since sports hernia surgery 8 months ago needs to make an appearance.

Otherwise he has ZERO chance of gaining a big raise. Right now, HIS street is a DEAD END.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

Everyone agrees that this is a problem. The CBA needs to be reworked so that owners are held to contracts just as athletes are held to contracts...

No one is complaining about Peters wanting more money... they are complaining that he isn't showing up to camp in order to get one. Hell, even Bills brass came out and said that he is underpaid, but they wont deal until he comes out and practices to prove that his injury has healed.

To me its like when your car is in an accident, and you take it to the body shop for some work. Then before letting you see the repairs, they ask you to pay for it out of pocket...

You'd demand to see the car before paying anything.

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

I dont think its people being mad at Peters for wanting money, I think it's just the crybaby "i'm not showing up and im not talking to you!" approach he and his agent have taken.

Now I think the Bills are in a tough situation also. Do they not have enough money for BOTH Peters AND Evans to sign huge contracts this season? Who knows...it's getting rediculous and I don't see this being resolved anytime soon. I would not be surprised if regular season comes and we have Walker starting as LT.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pride
          Everyone agrees that this is a problem. The CBA needs to be reworked so that owners are held to contracts just as athletes are held to contracts...

No one is complaining about Peters wanting more money... they are complaining that he isn't showing up to camp in order to get one. Hell, even Bills brass came out and said that he is underpaid, but they wont deal until he comes out and practices to prove that his injury has healed.

To me its like when your car is in an accident, and you take it to the body shop for some work. Then before letting you see the repairs, they ask you to pay for it out of pocket...

You'd demand to see the car before paying anything.
          That's not true, over the past few weeks i've seen SEVERAL comments alluding to the fact that "we took a chance" on Peters, or that we've "already extended him" a few years ago so he owes us.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
            A player who hasn't been seen by the team since sports hernia surgery 8 months ago needs to make an appearance.

Otherwise he has ZERO chance of gaining a big raise. Right now, HIS street is a DEAD END.
            his street is a dead end, and then so is our offense and for that matter, our season.

Nobody wins.. Peters won't be the only one losing.

Comment

• don137
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              That's not true, over the past few weeks i've seen SEVERAL comments alluding to the fact that "we took a chance" on Peters, or that we've "already extended him" a few years ago so he owes us.
              You are right. I have seen several comments like that and it is true that as well as the Bills have treated him, he owes it to the Bills to answers calls and try to get this thing addressed instead of turning his back on the club that gave him the chance.
              I feel that Peters would not be the same player today if he signed with any other club coming out of college as a free agent.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

I couldnt disagree more, Don.

We did give him his shot.. But the bottom line is he a freak of nature athletically for his size.

And even if you're right, it doesnt matter.. When you're a 26-year old ELITE Left tackle in the NFL, the team should've waited about a half-second after camp started to make an offer to pay him accordingly.

YOu don't **** around at the left tackle position. If we dont pay him, I hope there are plenty of QB's on call.

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

I couldnt disagree more, Don.

We did give him his shot.. But the bottom line is he a freak of nature athletically for his size.

And even if you're right, it doesnt matter.. When you're a 26-year old ELITE Left tackle in the NFL, the team should've waited about a half-second after camp started to make an offer to pay him accordingly.

YOu don't **** around at the left tackle position. If we dont pay him, I hope there are plenty of QB's on call.
                  I don't think the Bills are screwing around with them. They are trying to set a standard so every player doesn't try to pull a Peters and just stay out of camp until they get want they want. It sets a bad precedence. If Buffalo agrees in good faith to renegotiate once he comes to camp I think that is more than reasonable. The fact that Peters and his agent are ignoring any contact from the front office is not only letting the front office down but letting down his teammates and fans.

Comment

• hydro
                    • Oct 2005

What you don't get is there is a reason he hasn't shown up. Quite possibly he isn't fully healthy. Why pay the guy then find out he hasn't healed fully and might not even be the same player. They need him to show up, then he can get paid. I am pretty sure that is a fair thing for the team to ask. Yet we haven't heard a peep out of him.
                    BERNIAC!

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Are your purchases a two way street? The Bills have purchased his service for 3 more years. If you purchase something on sale and it breaks, would you return it? Yes, you would. And, if you purchase something, and the sale ends, does the store demand more money? No they don't.

He has protection in place. He got a portion guaranteed. The only guarantee the Bills got was the ability to cut his salary in future years if he flops. That is your two way street. Each got something guaranteed.

He, and his agent, could easily have negotiated a pro bowl escalator into the contract.

IMO, Peters is in the wrong.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• realdealryan
                        realdealrex
                        • Nov 2005

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if we think that Peters isn't going about this with class. One way or the other, through media overtures or otherwise, it needs to get resolved. We are going to pay him; why wait? You can't really play around with your best offensive lineman. See: Alexander, Shaun.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by realdealryan
                          Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if we think that Peters isn't going about this with class. One way or the other, through media overtures or otherwise, it needs to get resolved. We are going to pay him; why wait? You can't really play around with your best offensive lineman. See: Alexander, Shaun.
                          agreed about the class part.. Peters has shown little.

But more importantly, the Bills aren't showing much intelligence. You can't win without Peters. Certain players you have to make a hard stance on, but Franchise players aint one of them.. Pay him, or trade him and get value.. He's too elite to be sitting at home.

if John McCargo pulled this bull****; he can sit out until the year 2012.. But Peters is a difference maker and a franchise player, and he's underpaid by MILLIONS compared to the market to boot.

The Colts have been known to take a hard stance on a lot of guys, but do you think their best player is one of them? You can bet your ass if Peyton Manning held out for more money, the town of Indy would take up a personal collection to pay him what he wants.

It's a money issue.. Nothing more, nothing less.. At the end, class doesnt matter and neither does anything else... It's all about the money.

If we dont pay him, he aint going to play. He'll show up eventually and play like he doesnt give a ****. ACtually, I take that back. .He'll play to not get hurt and become another LeCharles Bentley.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                            • Sep 2003

This thread is directed towards people who think that Peters doesn’t have a right to demand a new contract because he’s already under a current deal. In today’s NFL, if you outperform your contract means as little as it does when the team cuts you if you underperform.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                            I don't know anyone who doesn't think Peters deserves a raise. I do know a lot of people who think Peters and his agents are behaving in a totally unprofessional manner. Don't the Bills deserve a meeting with Eugene Parker or do they have to read about what Peters supposedly wants from the papers and chat boards?

PTR
                            10 Commandments of the D
                            1. Never stop Rocking.
                            2. Legalize all drugs.
                            3. Quit your day job.
                            4. All Religion should be taxed.
                            5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                            6. F**k her gently.
                            7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                            8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                            9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                            10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                              • Sep 2003

agreed about the class part.. Peters has shown little.

But more importantly, the Bills aren't showing much intelligence. You can't win without Peters. Certain players you have to make a hard stance on, but Franchise players aint one of them.. Pay him, or trade him and get value.. He's too elite to be sitting at home.

if John McCargo pulled this bull****; he can sit out until the year 2012.. But Peters is a difference maker and a franchise player, and he's underpaid by MILLIONS compared to the market to boot.

The Colts have been known to take a hard stance on a lot of guys, but do you think their best player is one of them? You can bet your ass if Peyton Manning held out for more money, the town of Indy would take up a personal collection to pay him what he wants.

It's a money issue.. Nothing more, nothing less.. At the end, class doesnt matter and neither does anything else... It's all about the money.

If we dont pay him, he aint going to play. He'll show up eventually and play like he doesnt give a ****. ACtually, I take that back. .He'll play to not get hurt and become another LeCharles Bentley.
                              Pat. What exactly are the Bills doing wrong here? Should they crawl to Peters? Beg him to take their money? How do you think that will play with Lee Evans. Oh yeah, the OTHER franchise player they are trying t extend. Remember him? Then there's Angelo Crowell too.

So according to you, anytime any player has one good year, the Bills are supposed to tear up their contract and roll over? What's the point of extending players deals when a player can just choose not to honor it and the Bills say "okay, whatever"?

Peters is a douche and, predictably, you always find fault in whatever the Bills do.

PTR
                              10 Commandments of the D
                              1. Never stop Rocking.
                              2. Legalize all drugs.
                              3. Quit your day job.
                              4. All Religion should be taxed.
                              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                              6. F**k her gently.
                              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X