PDA

View Full Version : Bills Vs Skins: What to watch for.

yordad
08-05-2008, 05:06 PM
As we know, preseason isn't all about winning. It is more about evaluating talent. I figured I would just take a moment to summarize the "match ups" we should be watching.

McCargo Vs. Williams Vs. Johnson- All will get snaps when the season starts. Any of these guys could realistically start next to Stroud. It is hard evaluating interior lineman for the average fan (well, me anyways), but if one is being a beast, it could be evident. Let's see if one raises to the top.

Royal Vs. Schouman Vs. Fine Vs. Anderson- This will likely be the opening day order, but this isn't set in stone by any means. We haven't really gotten a chance to see what Schouman (or Fine) can do out of the TE position, and I know I will be watching that one close. One of these guys, could be the odd man out. My guess is Anderson, so he will be fighting hard for a job.

Every CB- This depth chart could change every week. Every depth tier will be a fight, 1-6.

Scott Vs. Wendling- If one can manage to clearly move ahead of the other when it comes to performing the duties of SS, he will have a job. Scott performed adequately last year with our depleted secondary. But Wendling has a lot of tools. This will be close, and both could be kept. This could come down to STs play, but they will each get significant playing time. This match up might actually be Scott Vs. Wendling Vs. Jenkins (WR). Because Bobby April has some pull when deciding the last few close cuts.

Omon Vs. Wright- It is premature, but these guys are probably on the bubble also.

Johnson Vs. Huggins Vs. Jenkins Vs. Mayle Vs. A couple other guys- I didn't think I would say this anytime soon, but if Reed sits out too long with an ailing back, he could be cut. These guys show some promise, and a couple excel on STs. I think Johnson Vs. Jenkins will be the main attraction, but word is JP and Huggins have developed a bit of a chemistry. Reeds versatility is valuable, but not if he is injured or on IR.

Additional questions.

Can our shuffled offensive line be adequate enough to give us another week before crumbling to Peters' demands?
Will Poz be the beast we are all expecting?
Will Mitchell be the beast we are all hoping for?
Will Hardy be productive with the first unit (assuming Reed is held out as a "precaution")?
Will we actually use a FB?
Will they use RBs in the passing game?
Can Spencer Johnson play DE (maybe I should have had an Ellis Vs. Johnson)?
Will the Bills phase JP out of the rotation (like Nall)?
Can McKelvin be even better then Parrish or McGee in the return game?

And, the number one question, IMO- Will Turk show us a little of what he has been promising? If you remember, Fairchild said similar things last year. In the preseason, when they were stagnate, we were all saying "he didn't want to tip his hand". Well I'm not asking him to open the play book completely. But, I'd like to see a noticeable difference in philosophy.

Keep in mind, the Skins have played one preseason game already, they might look considerably less rusty.

VeggieMan14
08-05-2008, 07:24 PM
What to watch for: Me going crazy during a preseason game that doesnt amount for a pile of ****

Homegrown
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Very interesting post.

I'd like to add a couple

Does Chris Ellis outplay Ryan Denny?

How does L Walker do at LT? Does his performance (good or bad) expedite the Peters situation?

VeggieMan14
08-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Very interesting post.

I'd like to add a couple

Does Chris Ellis outplay Ryan Denny?

How does L Walker do at LT? Does his performance (good or bad) expedite the Peters situation? will a lucky bills fan get beer thrown on him for being an ******* during preseason?

Homegrown
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
will a lucky bills fan get beer thrown on him for being an ******* during preseason?

Hee, hee.....not during preseason, not enough passion.

VeggieMan14
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Hee, hee.....not during preseason, not enough passion. well im gonna try my hardest lol

yordad
08-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Very interesting post. Thank you.

I'd like to add a couple please do

Does Chris Ellis outplay Ryan Denny? Denney is virtually unchallenged at LDE. Ellis will be vying for RDE. He is actually up against Copeland Bryan, and is very likely to beat him for the final DE spot. I say that on draft position alone, because I don't know everything about either. Being that Neill can play DE in a pinch, and Johnson may see snaps there, they will only keep 4 true DEs. Denney being on the other side will likely barely be effected, if all all, by Ellis's play.

How does L Walker do at LT? Does his performance (good or bad) expedite the Peters situation? Actually, I mentioned that in different words. My guess is we start to crumble inside a week. It will be worked out Augest 25th-29th. What is your guess?Homegrown, although you are new here, I have noticed you make several knowledgeable post (including your own mention of Neill earlier this week). I look forward to hearing your opinion on these matters after the game. Of course, one game isn't going to be a tell all in most cases, but it is a big game for some.

Thank you for replying.

madness
08-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm actually pretty confident Walker can be a capable LT in this league. No where near Jason Peters but more then just "servicable". *cough*Fowler*cough*

yordad
08-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm actually pretty confident Walker can be a capable LT in this league. No where near Jason Peters but more then just "servicable". *cough*Fowler*cough*Well, I think he is a very good RT, but less then average LT. The problem is the zero faith I have in Chambers no matter where he is.

We will not be able to use our TE or RB in the passing game the way we planned coming into this year if Chambers is anywhere on the line, IMO.

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I'll be dead honest..

I dont want ANYONE to get injured, but I hope that chambers and walker get schooled, as regardless of who's right or wrong, it may push a contract extension along quicker.

yordad
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I'll be dead honest..

I dont want ANYONE to get injured, but I hope that chambers and walker get schooled, as regardless of who's right or wrong, it may push a contract extension along quicker.Agree on the injuries, but if they play awesome, it could move the process along too.