PDA

View Full Version : If Favre goes to TB, than Losman should be traded for Garcia!

HHURRICANE
08-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Why not? If Trent sucks you have a starter. If Trent is great than you have a great backup.

Jaybird
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
garcia wants to be a starter... we wont play for us.... and losman already knows the system!

VeggieMan14
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Why not? If Trent sucks you have a starter. If Trent is great than you have a great backup. trade jp for manny straight up

HHURRICANE
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
garcia wants to be a starter... we wont play for us.... and losman already knows the system!

Uhhh, Garcia is not going to be the starter in TB if Favre is there. He has a shot here.

lmcshadow
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Uhhh, Garcia is not going to be the starter in TB if Favre is there. He has a shot here.

but at what cost..

gil
08-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I want a unicorn too!

Seriously - has anyone even heard anyone having interest in Losman - and why the hell would Garcia want to finish his career here.

hydro
08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
He has a slight chance here yet he probably can find a better situation else where. He doesn't even have experience in our system. I would rather have JP as the backup.

VeggieMan14
08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I want a unicorn too!

Seriously - has anyone even heard anyone having interest in Losman - and why the hell would Garcia want to finish his career here. lol i have no idea why that made me laugh

PromoTheRobot
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I'll give you two Losmans for one Garcia and the bubble gum that came in the pack.

PTR

VeggieMan14
08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I'll give you two Losmans for one Garcia and the bubble gum that came in the pack.

PTR throw in one more bubble gum and it might be a deal

yordad
08-05-2008, 10:46 PM
We wouldn't be better off. Maybe if they started Garcia, which they wouldn't do. Garcia Is actually pretty good, and he still has a little left in tank, at 38.

But then again, I prefer we just keep Losman and start him. Losman is 10 or more years younger.

But then of course, after we jacked JP around for years, he would likely leave B-lo now for less money at season's end. Let's think about what it would take for Losman to become a permanent starter..... First, a significant and early Edwards injury. Followed by Losman leading the Bills to a Super Bowl win. OK, a little dramatic, but he is probably good as gone.

I honestly think Garcia would be an upgrade over Edwards. But, not for long. And not meaningfully, immediately enough of an upgrade. Edwards is young, he looks very promising, and most importantly, the Bills look committed to him. Why jack him around.

Garcia wouldn't want to come here and be Edward's backup. JP wouldn't want to be Farve's backup (he would probably rather be there then here though). And, the Bucs probably don't want a guy signed for one year, who won't extend now (for backup money). Anyone ever tried to learn a new NFL playbook in three weeks?

The only thing I could see as being a possible reason to bring him in is to have a 2 year backup, as opposed to a one year. Besides, the Bucs have Simms. He would probably be a better long term backup then Garcia, especially if you consider Simms wouldn't be a lockerroom distraction like Garcia would be. That would still leave the bucs with Farve, Garcia, Brian Greise, Luke McCown, and Josh Johnson(R).

But, considering Simms is about to get cut, trading them Losman wouldn't make sense. He and Gruden don't get along, and Simms is 5th on the depth chart (actually, I don't think he is even on it). NTM, it would make me puke.

So how about if we just sit tight, wait for Hamden to show if he can be an adequate backup, and wait for another team to get it's starter injured or wait for Simms to be cut. There will be better suitors if the Bills really want to swap out Losman.

trapezeus
08-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Garcia wouldn't want to come here and be Edward's backup. JP wouldn't want to be Farve's backup (he would probably rather be there then here though). And, the Bucs probably don't want a guy signed for one year, who won't extend now (for backup money). Anyone ever tried to learn a new NFL playbook in three weeks?

Agree with the rest of Yordad's comments.

Disagree on:
1. I think Losman would enjoy being favre's backup. i think he'd feel vindicated that Favre can sling it around and would feel like he could too.
2. Regardless of anyone's thoughts on JP on this board, i think it's pretty sure bet that losman will be on backup pay next year unless he gets a lot of time here and proves he's worth more by winning games and playing consistent. Could happen, but i think it's unlikely.

yordad
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Agree with the rest of Yordad's comments.

Disagree on:
1. I think Losman would enjoy being favre's backup. i think he'd feel vindicated that Favre can sling it around and would feel like he could too.
2. Regardless of anyone's thoughts on JP on this board, i think it's pretty sure bet that losman will be on backup pay next year unless he gets a lot of time here and proves he's worth more by winning games and playing consistent. Could happen, but i think it's unlikely.Thankyou trap. And thanks for reading the whole thing. I wasn't sure anyone would. It kept growing. I will use the same format, I hope it doesn't come off offensive.

1. Yes, I think he would prefer to be his backup as opposed to an Edwards backup. But I think he would strongly prefer a scenario with open competition.
2. You may be right, but I think he is an optimist. I think we can all say he seems like a fairly confident person. And we don't know that some teams haven't showed some interest. Especially if he has a strong preseason.

trapezeus
08-05-2008, 11:51 PM
true, on the second point, but i just don't see a really desperate team wanting someone else's failure. if he came from a bigger school, he'd have more coaches vouching for him and getting him another shot. i think Tulane hurts him.

and while we make excuses, fairly or not, with his bad coaches, no line, poor running game, i don't think GM's look at enough tape to see that. They see a sporadic passer who can't be a difference maker. if you're team is really bad, you need a QB who can make game changing plays and steal a couple games. If you are a defensive power house, you just need a guy who doesn't mess up and will be consistent.

JP doesn't fit either of those based on past performance. it'll be interesting for sure to see what happens to him, but i see him fading out over the next couple years. I would be surprised if he gets his chance to turn it on and be consistent.

DrGraves
08-05-2008, 11:51 PM
wtf, tampa has a zillion qb's on their roster, they dont want jp. jp is a good backup to have, hes been here and knows the guys. idk why you guys want to trade him so badly.

yordad
08-06-2008, 01:50 AM
JP doesn't fit either of those based on past performance. But, he could fit with a team that has several mediocre QBs with no prominent starter. A team that sees giving Losman a shot at starting in camp has no real downside.

I shouldn't attempt to give examples of teams in this situation, because a year from now, it will probably change. But here goes some speculation...

Dolphins- No real QB at this point
Jets- Ever declining starter Pennington, followed by not-likely-the-answer Kellen Clemens
Vikings- Could give up on Jackson
Skins- Could give up on Campbell
49ers- Does Alex Smith need a push?
Bears- Who is their QB again?
Ravens- See bears. It sounded far fetched at first because they have McGahee, but word is he is falling out of favor.
Raiders- Russell might not be an NFL player for all we know
Falcons- What if Ryan looks like Beck?
Lions- Is Kitna (35) retired yet?
Bucs- If they lose the Farve sweepstakes, do they have a plan for the future?

Is another team's starter retiring? Does someone take a significant injury (Culpepper style)?

There are several possible scenarios that leave JP vying for a starting QB position a year from now.

Typ0
08-06-2008, 03:05 AM
the only way JP gets traded anywhere is if a team is desparate to move a player to get rid of the salary...there just is no way anyone is going to give up anything of value for JP Lossman.

mybills
08-06-2008, 06:07 AM
JP is Garcia, IMO.

Night Train
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
I can hardly wait for your next brainstorm.

coastal
08-06-2008, 06:53 AM
mindless blathering, but I'll play along.

Jeff Garcia starts for me over Trent Edwards.

Typ0
08-06-2008, 06:57 AM
JP is Garcia, IMO.

you've got to be kidding. Garcia has played on three different teams and pro bowl level on two and last season was competent at TB. JG has proven he gets the job done. The only JP has proven is he can clean up paper in delaware park. There is no business putting these guys on the same playing level.

mybills
08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Garcia had stability to play consistently. Otherwise, they play alike. (IMO)

Mr. Pink
08-06-2008, 07:56 AM
All I have to say about this thread is wow.

First, NO WAY Tampa trades a guy who can get it done at the NFL level for a bust.

Second, some of you have delusions of grandeur about JPs abilities.

Third, Whoever thinks that a team with a young QB - Beck, Russell, Ryan, Flacco, etc is gonna trade for a 5th year bum and give him a shot at starting is sorely mistaken.

BTW yordad, your Raven example you list McGahee might have fallen out of favor? What the hell does that have to do with the QB situation? Not too mention the fact that they just gave Flacco a large contract who they just drafted!

HHURRICANE
08-06-2008, 08:00 AM

You realize I'm having a little fun here? How many "_____ looks______" can we read?

Look at the average amount of responses I get on the threads I post. I'm trying to contribute.

HHURRICANE
08-06-2008, 08:02 AM
All I have to say about this thread is wow.

First, NO WAY Tampa trades a guy who can get it done at the NFL level for a bust.

Second, some of you have delusions of grandeur about JPs abilities.

Third, Whoever thinks that a team with a young QB - Beck, Russell, Ryan, Flacco, etc is gonna trade for a 5th year bum and give him a shot at starting is sorely mistaken.

BTW yordad, your Raven example you list McGahee might have fallen out of favor? What the hell does that have to do with the QB situation? Not too mention the fact that they just gave Flacco a large contract who they just drafted!

Why replace Garcia with Farve? Most of the Bucs players have publicly said they don't want Farve.

Mr. Pink
08-06-2008, 08:02 AM
You realize I'm having a little fun here? How many "_____ looks______" can we read?

Look at the average amount of responses I get on the threads I post. I'm trying to contribute.

Hurricane, you did swell.

I got good laughs reading the responses!

Mr. Pink
08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Why replace Garcia with Farve? Most of the Bucs players have publicly said they don't want Farve.

I just want Bret to go away. Go retire in Siberia already.

But, Favre is better than Garcia.

HHURRICANE
08-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I should have left Losman out of this thread. I actually like the idea of Garcia in Buffalo. I was just trying to give something, that we didn't want, in a trade.

trapezeus
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
garcia played well in San Fran and Philly. Teams with good offensive minds and good offensive lines. He struggled in Cleveland. A cleveland team that had nothing. So Garcia probably would struggle in buffalo.

I say we trade Losman for two street sweepers and we got ourselves a win win trade.

justasportsfan
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
:nervous:

SABURZFAN
08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I say we trade Losman for two street sweepers and we got ourselves a win win trade.

i say we play hardball and get a landscaper to go with those two street sweepers too.

trapezeus
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
i say we play hardball and get a landscaper to go with those two street sweepers too.

you ask for the landscaper and we're right back in the, "lets get a second rounder for him" territory

justasportsfan
08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
IF we bring in GArcia, expect a bigger qb controversy. He's already better than Trent even while he's packing his bags in Tampa.

trapezeus
08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
proven? yes. better, perhaps not with his age. i think Garcia is a product of having a good line.

Typ0
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
proven? yes. better, perhaps not with his age. i think Garcia is a product of having a good line.

that helped him no doubt so at minimum he has proven put him behind a good line and he'll play at a pro bowl level.

trapezeus
08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
where is our good line? it seems like our line is taking a huge step back.

justasportsfan
08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
with his experience ,I'm sure he would know better than Trent how to handle a bad OL. Trent himself pretty much said he needs to trust this and that guy which means he has issues based on the abuse he took in college .

I don't think we end up with Garcia anyways. Dick would be causing more problems in the locker room with him being here. THe minute Trent goes through growing pains, fans will want him yanked.

yordad
08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Funtimesyay, McGahee and Losman didn't coexist too well. Seemed fairly obvious.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 11:33 PM
K, this thread can officially go in the Vault.. Bret's a Jet

Ebenezer
08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
guess this thread is over....

Typ0
08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
why the heck would anyone trade JP for JG straight up anyway. That would be stupid for both parties IMO. But I want to hear from all the blokes who said JP should fetch a 2nd rounder.