PDA

View Full Version : 8/5/08 practice notes

dannyek71
08-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Take into account there was a downpour through much of practice which obviously affected performance.

Reggie Corner played well. Thus far, he's outplayed LM. LM looks more physically gifted, but looks lost at times. RC plays like hes been in the league a few years.

TE had a below average night. Short passes were ok, anything more than 20 yards was a duck (keep in mind the rain obviously affected his passes somewhat). I keep hearing how he's had a good camp, he's looked below average throughout camp to me. I HATE to keep comparing him to KH, but this camp reminds me of the one two years ago. KH would throw all the passes short and do ok, but all his deep ones were horrible. JP couldnt throw the short passes, but bombs were ok.

Matt Baker vs GH has been an interesting battle. I look for us to keep Baker. Decent arm, fast QB, looks like he plays smart. GH has a pretty good arm though. Baker is fun to watch.

Initially, JP looked ok. His receivers dropped a few passes. Then he threw a couple of picks. I've said it before, but he has bagged it.

Just Jenkins is getting alot of reps with the 1st team. He made a few good catches. Look for him to make the team. I call a surprise cut to be Josh Reed. our recievers would be

Evans
Hardy
Parrish
Jenkins
Johnson

Im adding in Johnson here because everyone seems to be so high on him. He really hasnt done much to impress me though. He looks ok, but IDK what much of this fuss is about.

Mitchell is a beast, you can already see him leading this defense.

OL looked decent. Hard to gauge many players b/c of the nature of the practice.

mybills
08-06-2008, 06:30 AM
bagged it?

Mitchy moo
08-06-2008, 06:32 AM
They said the same thing about Brady the first few years he played, he was effecient in shorter throws but couldn't throw long, I think we know how that story ended up working out.

mybills
08-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Ya know, everyone kept saying Trent was the one, and how he's so much better than JP..and NOT to turn this into another debate about them, but from what I keep reading from camp..I really should remember my gut feeling about him, instead of believing everyone's praise. I hope the hell he plays better by the ps games, and I will watch him then to make up my mind about him. There's still too many question marks. :ill:

BlackMetalNinja
08-06-2008, 06:48 AM
I think the obvious solution is to put Trent in when we want to throw short, and JP in to go deep... it'll work like a charm!

mybills
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
lol, has any team ever used dual QB's in every game? :snicker:

coastal
08-06-2008, 06:52 AM
How come I have the aching suspiscion that Trent Edwards is going to suck?

mybills
08-06-2008, 06:55 AM
because they haven't been able to draft a decent QB since Kelly? :idunno:

Mitchy moo
08-06-2008, 07:07 AM
The steelers used Kordell Stewart and Jim Miller (I think) alternating between the two of them, around 96'/97' season

tampabay25690
08-06-2008, 07:13 AM
because they haven't been able to draft a decent QB since Kelly? :idunno:

I think when they drafted EDWARDS they were drafting a guy to be a good #2 QB and now he is our #1....

mybills
08-06-2008, 07:18 AM
I think when they drafted EDWARDS they were drafting a guy to be a good #2 QB and now he is our #1....
is he though? seems like the jury is still out according to all of these reports..not just this rainy one.

Kenny
08-06-2008, 07:18 AM
That'd be hillarious. Trent whenever we're in our own 20 or in the redzone (basically whenever the ball has to come out fast), and then JP otherwise.

BlackMetalNinja
08-06-2008, 07:22 AM
is he though? seems like the jury is still out according to all of these reports..not just this rainy one.

Well honestly, all these reports don't mean much at this point. It's up to the organization, not the fans watching training camp. He is our #1 at this point regardless of how good or bad people view his training camp. Whether he is the long term solution or not... obviously that is yet to be decided.

dannyek71
08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
I didn't mean to make a stir. TE has outplayed this camp and should be our starter. My intention wasn't to make a TE vs JP thread. I think we might have had one of those already.

I am just calling it as I see it.

BTW, I still have much love for Xavier Omon.

mybills
08-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Well honestly, all these reports don't mean much at this point. It's up to the organization, not the fans watching training camp. He is our #1 at this point regardless of how good or bad people view his training camp. Whether he is the long term solution or not... obviously that is yet to be decided.
hence my question..is he though?

mybills
08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
btw, it's not just fan reports that I mean.

Danny, No argument/debate intended as I said. I still want to know what you meant by "bagged it" though?

Patti120
08-06-2008, 07:40 AM
August 5, 2008 Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 11:29 PM ET | Link

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

TRENT GETTING POSITIVE FEEDBACK: It happened again in practice Tuesday as Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert has been complimentary of Trent Edwards decision making.

During 7-on-7 Tuesday night, Edwards quickly scanned the field and hit Derek Schouman in stride.

"Nice read," said Schonert. "I like it."

Granted not everything has been perfect. In fact Dick Jauron thought Tuesday's practice was lacking a little bit on the offensive side in terms of the choices that were made presumably by the quarterbacks.

"The decision making at times was a little bit ragged," said Jauron. "It’s still early, but we’ve got to correct those things.”

But for the most part Edwards' decision making has been good and has been getting positive feedback from Schonert, who doesn't blow smoke.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Yeah.. Florida State

SABuffalo786
08-06-2008, 07:48 AM
I'm withholding any opinion until Saturday night.

Jan Reimers
08-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Good report, Danney, although I disagree on Reed. I think he'll be with us regardless of whether we keep 5 or 6 WRs. With Johnson, Jenkins and Hardy being unproven, and Parrish more of a returner/part-time receiver, we can't afford to cut a guy who had 51 receptions last year.

acehole
08-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Matt Baker will make this team.

Rain?

You got to be kidding me.

acehole
08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
They said the same thing about Brady the first few years he played, he was effecient in shorter throws but couldn't throw long, I think we know how that story ended up working out.

Yes of course...

Trent = Tom Brady.

dannyek71
08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Bagging it = giving up.

If I had to put even money on it, yea Id say Josh Reed makes the team. I'm just calling this one out as a possible surprise.

acehole
08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
How come I have the aching suspiscion that Trent Edwards is going to suck?

Carful man....you are talking about the golden child.

Answer is because he was the worst qb in the NFL last year...

And Scoob has compared hi to Tome Brady in this post.

Short answer is because he has to date.

Mitchy moo
08-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Yes of course...

Trent = Tom Brady.

1st starting year after rookie season = potential for improvements.

mybills
08-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Bagging it = giving up.
ok thanks, I thought you meant he had the position in the bag. That didn't look right. :;

Mitchy moo
08-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Carful man....you are talking about the golden child.

Answer is because he was the worst qb in the NFL last year...

And Scoob has compared hi to Tome Brady in this post.

Short answer is because he has to date.

Judging QB's after starting a half rookie season is crazy. The mind is there, the guy put on 10% extra weight in muscle during the offseason, so let's give him a chance. Saying he is going to suck or can't get better isn't really fair.

HHURRICANE
08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Based on your avatar I'm wondering if you had too much to drink while watching. I don't remember KH throwing 50 yard passes to Evans in camp.

"Edwards on the whole has been very accurate in camp, and that didn't change much Tuesday night despite the wet conditions, though the majority of the passes were shorter in light of the weather. The Bills starting quarterback did have one interception as Reggie Corner made a nice play in the end zone on a pass intended for Lee Evans.

But Edwards rebounded nicely later in practice as he hooked up with Evans for a 40-50 yard play as Evans reached around Terrence McGee to make the catch. It was easily the reception of the night."

Captain gameboy
08-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Is Reggie Corner going to become the darling of this camp?

acehole
08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
1st starting year after rookie season = potential for improvements.

Indeed.

I suppose you can't do worse then the worst.

acehole
08-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Judging QB's after starting a half rookie season is crazy. The mind is there, the guy put on 10% extra weight in muscle during the offseason, so let's give him a chance. Saying he is going to suck or can't get better isn't really fair.

Why you guys have judged him already...based on the same.

He has a chance lets see what he does....

acehole
08-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Ahh....Evans reach around with JP during the jets and JP sucks...
Evans reach around Trent and Trent has a good camp...

Got it.

Based on your avatar I'm wondering if you had too much to drink while watching. I don't remember KH throwing 50 yard passes to Evans in camp.

"Edwards on the whole has been very accurate in camp, and that didn't change much Tuesday night despite the wet conditions, though the majority of the passes were shorter in light of the weather. The Bills starting quarterback did have one interception as Reggie Corner made a nice play in the end zone on a pass intended for Lee Evans.

But Edwards rebounded nicely later in practice as he hooked up with Evans for a 40-50 yard play as Evans reached around Terrence McGee to make the catch. It was easily the reception of the night."

DraftBoy
08-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I really like this Matt Baker kid, I said that when we signed him too!

Too bad the only time we hear anything at all about him is when Mikey or somebody else goes to camp. CB doesnt really talk much about Baker for whatever reason...

trapezeus
08-06-2008, 08:38 AM

As a guy who thinks Trent is going to prove to be a better choice than losman, and as a guy who is hoping he has what it takes to be a starting QB and not just a really capable backup, i like how Trent went from putting on 5lbs of muscle in the original article a month or so ago, to 20lbs of muscle in another thread, to now having 20% of muscle gain which would be over 20lbs.

Let's keep his offseason improvements in perspective.5lbs of muscle is actually quite an accomplishment. 20lbs of muscle would make you think he's on steriods. there is no way you could do that in 6 months without steroids or propecia (according to moorman).

madness
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Is Reggie Corner going to become the darling of this camp?

I think he already has.

HHURRICANE
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Ahh....Evans reach around with JP during the jets and JP sucks...
Evans reach around Trent and Trent has a good camp...

Got it.

:rofl:

That was a "reach around" against the Jets???

Where did it say that Evans had to wrestle the ball away from two defenders in camp last night??

dannyek71
08-06-2008, 08:52 AM

Based on your avatar I'm wondering if you got hit by a car.

Lee made a great catch, the ball was under thrown (Think the JP pass to Lee vs the Jets.) Anything else he tried to throw deep were just ducks (basically as they've been all camp)

dannyek71
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
:rofl:

That was a "reach around" against the Jets???

Where did it say that Evans had to wrestle the ball away from two defenders in camp last night??

Were you at camp last night?

justasportsfan
08-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Based on your avatar I'm wondering if you got hit by a car.

:rockon:

Were you at camp last night?
in spirit

Mitchy moo
08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
As a guy who thinks Trent is going to prove to be a better choice than losman, and as a guy who is hoping he has what it takes to be a starting QB and not just a really capable backup, i like how Trent went from putting on 5lbs of muscle in the original article a month or so ago, to 20lbs of muscle in another thread, to now having 20% of muscle gain which would be over 20lbs.

Let's keep his offseason improvements in perspective.5lbs of muscle is actually quite an accomplishment. 20lbs of muscle would make you think he's on steriods. there is no way you could do that in 6 months without steroids or propecia (according to moorman).

Trent was a better choice last season without a training camp.

djjimkelly
08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
i just love it.

i said what i had to say about trent last december with his 40% completion % in december i got cursed.

then last night there is a drizzle and hes looks like junk again.

we are truly screwed as fans.

we are being force fed a guy who just doesnt have what it takes to be a qb in buffalo(WE DONT PLAY IN A DOME)

everyone knows im a big fan of the talent JP has but for real how could this organization leave us in this situation.

A. they dont want JP its evident

B. edwards doesnt have what it takes to tackle the elements of western NY

we are gonna be pretty bad this year. mark my words.

i just still cant get over that there isnt a QB competiton here!!

Mitchy moo
08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Typical JP fan below.

i just love it.

i said what i had to say about trent last december with his 40% completion % in december i got cursed.

then last night there is a drizzle and hes looks like junk again.

we are truly screwed as fans.

we are being force fed a guy who just doesnt have what it takes to be a qb in buffalo(WE DONT PLAY IN A DOME)

everyone knows im a big fan of the talent JP has but for real how could this organization leave us in this situation.

A. they dont want JP its evident

B. edwards doesnt have what it takes to tackle the elements of western NY

we are gonna be pretty bad this year. mark my words.

i just still cant get over that there isnt a QB competiton here!!

justasportsfan
08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
It's a good thing we're playing seattle at buffalo or we're doomed since it rains there all the time.

madness
08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I love unbiased opinions.

djjimkelly
08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical JP fan below.

ill take any action u want on that over and under skoobs.

and im a bills fan first and we are tragically not good enough im done with the rose coloured glasses.

i already know new coach new qb is gonna be what gets us over the hump i just hope thats in 2009 not 2012

Mitchy moo
08-06-2008, 09:49 AM
ill take any action u want on that over and under skoobs.

and im a bills fan first and we are tragically not good enough im done with the rose coloured glasses.

i already know new coach new qb is gonna be what gets us over the hump i just hope thats in 2009 not 2012

You go ahead and throw in the towel, I'll be waiving one at our playoff game this season.

yordad
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Good report, Danney, although I disagree on Reed. I think he'll be with us regardless of whether we keep 5 or 6 WRs. With Johnson, Jenkins and Hardy being unproven, and Parrish more of a returner/part-time receiver, we can't afford to cut a guy who had 51 receptions last year.Unless his back is more screwed up the the Bills are leading on.

yordad
08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
1st starting year after rookie season = potential for improvements.Yep, but potential for improvements does not equal Tom Brady.

Judging QB's after starting a half rookie season is crazy. The mind is there, the guy put on 10% extra weight in muscle during the offseason, so let's give him a chance. Saying he is going to suck or can't get better isn't really fair.He never said he couldn't get better.

yordad
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM

But Edwards rebounded nicely later in practice as he hooked up with Evans for a 40-50 yard play as Evans reached around Terrence McGee to make the catch. It was easily the reception of the night."The play was 40 to 50, not the pass. And, if you read it, it is saying Evans an incredible play to catch it.

Just a note.

Philagape
08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's what the Rochester paper said, if it means anything:
Quarterbacks Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman looked sharp during passing drills. Each quarterback was on target with 15 to 20 yard sideline routes.
Lee Evans made a terrific over-the-shoulder catch on a perfectly placed ball by Edwards, while tight end Robert Royal and Roscoe Parrish displayed good hands catching passes over the middle.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080806/SPORTS03/808060328/1007/SPORTS

FlyingDutchman
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM

Heres an offense where you use two QBs on the field at once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOm-IJcbg0

justasportsfan
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Here's what the Rochester paper said, if it means anything:
Quarterbacks Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman looked sharp during passing drills.
Yeah it means HH winners and loser list is a douche.

John Doe
08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
The pass from Edwards to Evans is available on the highlight film at the official site.

1. It looked like a perfect spiral.
2. It looked like it traveled quite a distance in the air.
3. Hard to say if it was perfectly placed but it did not look all that underthrown.

The comment was that Evans made a great play by reaching around McGee to catch the ball.

Giving Evans a chance to make a play is not a bad idea.

trapezeus
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
^ the list is a douche? never heard a list get called a douche before.

Philagape
08-06-2008, 03:58 PM

As long as he's the only one who can catch it.

madness
08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
The pass from Edwards to Evans is available on the highlight film at the official site.

3. Hard to say if it was perfectly placed but it did not look all that underthrown.

The comment was that Evans made a great play by reaching around McGee to catch the ball.

I watched the highlight film as well and agree. The biggest thing that stands out to me and people have commented on is... his quick release. I've read that it's quick enough to where it doesn't give opposing DB's the chance to close in on the receiver and that it's very evident against our fast defense.

djjimkelly
08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
You go ahead and throw in the towel, I'll be waiving one at our playoff game this season.

they make playoffs ill pay for your ticket

Romes
08-07-2008, 12:50 AM

can I jump in on that offer too?

dannyek71
08-07-2008, 06:52 AM

Not to base an entire evaluation of a QB from one guy, but you can't go on what you are reading/seeing from reporters.

The D&C said both JP and TE looked sharp? Yea, on their 5 yard passes. JP threw a couple of terrible picks, and that was just on a single drive. And they say he looked sharp? You cannot go on what you are reading from the many of the media outlets apparently.

What they also didn't mention was the that TE didn't hook up on the other 5 or 6 balls he tried to throw over 20 yards which were all ducks. Yes, he does have a very quick release. Yes, at times he has been very accurate at under 20 yards. Yes, I do believe he can possibly be a good qb someday.

Mitchy moo
08-07-2008, 06:58 AM

Cool, I'm totally in and will refer back to this in late december. Thanks for the offer!!

:rockon:

TigerJ
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I think the obvious solution is to put Trent in when we want to throw short, and JP in to go deep... it'll work like a charm!I guess my main reaction to this is it'll be fine if your aim is to tell the defense exactly what the offense is going to do.