X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

What if Peter's is actually still hurt?

We have all been saying to Bills brass to simply pay him, or do whatever is necessary to get him into camp...

Hang on just a second. What if Peter's isn't healthy enough to be practicing anyway? Rather than show up to camp, still injured, and unable to practice... maybe he is still rehabbing and making it seem as if he is only holding out for a contract... as opposed to showing up and proving he is not ready physically.

Maybe we need to look at this as a situation where our left tackle is injured, and we need to find another solution... regardless of the contract issue.
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Re: What if Peter's is actually still hurt?

Originally posted by Pride
    We have all been saying to Bills brass to simply pay him, or do whatever is necessary to get him into camp...

Hang on just a second. What if Peter's isn't healthy enough to be practicing anyway? Rather than show up to camp, still injured, and unable to practice... maybe he is still rehabbing and making it seem as if he is only holding out for a contract... as opposed to showing up and proving he is not ready physically.

Maybe we need to look at this as a situation where our left tackle is injured, and we need to find another solution... regardless of the contract issue.
    Right...

He is willing to pay upwards of $500K in fines because he wants to say home and work on his injury instead of showing up and getting treatment from the Bills.

Besides, the guy has a sports hernia which was repaired surgically in January. That is a routine injury with a 6-8 week recovery period.

This isn't something unusual with Peters. He has out-performed his contract by a wide margin and is holding out for more money. It happens all the time in the NFL.

Comment

• hydro
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by NE39
      Right...

He is willing to pay upwards of $500K in fines because he wants to say home and work on his injury instead of showing up and getting treatment from the Bills.

Besides, the guy has a sports hernia which was repaired surgically in January. That is a routine injury with a 6-8 week recovery period.

This isn't something unusual with Peters. He has out-performed his contract by a wide margin and is holding out for more money. It happens all the time in the NFL.
      Then why not show up like Schobel (when he wanted a raise) and Evans (now) have to get a deal done? Only logical reasoning I can up with is he has something to hide.
      BERNIAC!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Right...

NE39 you have been spot on about alot of stuff but I have to disagree with you here.

If he is still injured than the worst thing he can do is show up to camp if he wants more money.

I actually think Pride could be on to something here.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by hydrosmak
          Then why not show up like Schobel (when he wanted a raise) and Evans (now) have to get a deal done? Only logical reasoning I can up with is he has something to hide.
          His leverage is withholding his services. He is doing so because he wants more money. Why show up unless he gets more money? Why show up to camp and risk getting hurt unless he gets what he wants?

The injury he suffered was routine.

Comment

• hydro
            • Oct 2005

His leverage is withholding his services. He is doing so because he wants more money. Why show up unless he gets more money. Why show up to camp and risk getting hurt unless he gets what he wants? Because there has been a precedence set when we signed Schobel, while he was in camp, when he wasn't happy with his pay.

So nobody in the history of hernia surgeries has ever had complication? Especially at his size? Nobody can deny it is a possibility
            BERNIAC!

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
              If he is still injured than the worst thing he can do is show up to camp if he wants more money.
              If he has a serious injury, he's not getting the money in any case. Nobody's stupid enough to think the Bills will hand out the biggest contract in team history without checking him out medically.
              If it's not a serious injury and he'll be 100% for the season, then showing up wouldn't hurt him.
              Trying to hide an injury from the team is insane. It's like a kid trying to hide a broken lamp.

Peters is holding out because it's his agent's favorite tactic.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Look, it is called a holdout. That means the player doesn't show up. I realize you guys want him to show up as a good faith gesture, but then it wouldn't be a holdout anymore.

Eugene Parker has a history with holdouts. He takes a hard line when he has a top player. He isn't afraid to use his leverage to get a new deal, because he feels the team will be hurt by the player missing time. That is what is going on here, and he isn't really interested is conceding something (like showing up) unless he gets what he wants (more money).

This is simply a negotiation, and Parker is playing the card he has, which is Peters not being there.

As for the injury, it was a routine surgery in January. That is 7 months ago. I could understand if he had a knee injury or something, but this wasn't much different from his getting his appendix removed. Show me one case where that injury caused a player to miss more than 6-8 weeks. You can't.

You can spin this all you want, it is all about one thing: MONEY. Peters wants more. He isn't going to show up until he gets more, or at least he won't show up anytime soon. If it is going to be resolved, it will take money.

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

His leverage is withholding his services. He is doing so because he wants more money. Why show up unless he gets more money. Why show up to camp and risk getting hurt unless he gets what he wants?

Why come to camp if he's still not recovered and wants more money? If I'm his agent, the last thing I want him to do is show up less than 100% if I'm trying to renegotiate his contract for a huge payday.

Steven Jackson has the same agent and is holding out well. The difference? There's been communication between both parties. If the Bills management already has a pretty good track record of extending players before their contract is up, why the silent approach?

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Look, it is called a holdout. That means the player doesn't show up. I realize you guys want him to show up as a good faith gesture, but then it wouldn't be a holdout anymore.

Eugene Parker has a history with holdouts. He takes a hard line when he has a top player. He isn't afraid to use his leverage to get a new deal, because he feels the team will be hurt by the player missing time. That is what is going on here, and he isn't really interested is conceding something (like showing up) unless he gets what he wants (more money).

This is simply a negotiation, and Parker is playing the card he has, which is Peters not being there.

As for the injury, it was a routine surgery in January. That is 7 months ago. I could understand if he had a knee injury or something, but this wasn't much different from his getting his appendix removed. Show me one case where that injury caused a player to miss more than 6-8 weeks. You can't.

You can spin this all you want, it is all about one thing: MONEY. Peters wants more. He isn't going to show up until he gets more, or at least he won't show up anytime soon. If it is going to be resolved, it will take money.
                    It's not a normal holdout. Every holdout I've seen Parker involved in there was dialog going back and forth. So far we've heard absolutely nothing from his party.

If Parker's trying the silent technique and hoping it works, he's obviously never been in a relationship with a woman.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by madness
                      Why come to camp if he's still not recovered and wants more money? If I'm his agent, the last thing I want him to do is show up less than 100% if I'm trying to renegotiate his contract for a huge payday.

Steven Jackson has the same agent and is holding out well. The difference? There's been communication between both parties. If the Bills management already has a pretty good track record of extending players before their contract is up, why the silent approach?
                      The silent approach is because the Bills want him to show up before they negotiate. Peters wants them to negotiate first. That is the standoff. Until it changes, there really isn't anything to talk about. Parker is banking that as time goes on the pressure will build for the Bills, because Peters is such a good player that his missing time will effect the team.

Jackson was communicating because they were talking money, exchanging contract proposals. Like Peters, Jackson is an integral part of the Rams and a guy they need to work something out with. When they reached an impasse and couldn't agree on money, they stopped talking. Eventually, the Rams will step up their offer and sign him, because they can't afford not to. I would argue the Bills are in the same boat with Peters.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by madness
                        It's not a normal holdout. Every holdout I've seen Parker involved in there was dialog going back and forth. So far we've heard absolutely nothing from his party.

If Parker's trying the silent technique and hoping it works, he's obviously never been in a relationship with a woman.
                        What is there to talk about unless they are willing to talk money? This is not different from any other holdout. Parker hasn't talked to the Rams in a week.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

I think Mike Lombardi outlines this situation perfectly in his blog:

Originally posted by Mike Lombardi
                          If I was the GM of the Buffalo Bills I would get on an airplane and fly to wherever Jason Peter is living. He is too important to the team for no contact to occur. I would find Peters and get this done.
                          That is exactly what should happen. Quit the hard-line stuff and talk of not getting return phone calls, be aggressive and find a solution.

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

The silent approach is because the Bills want him to show up before they negotiate. Peters wants them to negotiate first. That is the standoff. Until it changes, there really isn't anything to talk about. Parker is banking that as time goes on the pressure will build for the Bills, because Peters is such a good player that his missing time will effect the team.

Jackson was communicating because they were talking money, exchanging contract proposals. Like Peters, Jackson is an integral part of the Rams and a guy they need to work something out with. When they reached an impasse and couldn't agree on money, they stopped talking. Eventually, the Rams will step up their offer and sign him, because they can't afford not to. I would argue the Bills are in the same boat with Peters.
                            Well then, **** Peters. Do a sign and trade and get him out of here. We're not a solid playoff team yet anyway. Somebody will glady overcompensate us for him. This guy would barely be on a roster if he was still a TE and would have never dreamed of making the money he is capable of.

I'd rather take care of underpaid players who put their heart in the team and show up then players who are just chasing after the almighty $.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                              Roways rooking ahread!
                              • Sep 2005

What is there to talk about unless they are willing to talk money? This is not different from any other holdout. Parker hasn't talked to the Rams in a week.
                              I'll give you credit for one thing, you stopped using Seymour as an example. He had only 2 years left on his contract and had outplayed his contract while healthy for years. Peters was great last year for 1 year, got hurt and had been MIA ever since. I consider these 2 separate and distinct situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X