PDA

View Full Version : although unlikely, a good Bills scenario..

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
If Favre is traded to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tampa</st1:place></st1:City> in the next 24 or so hours, that almost certainly means Jeff Garcia gets cut. If that happens, I would love for <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> to sign him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
It serves multiple good purposes to this team in my opinion.<o:p></o:p>

He’s a proven vet, with whom Trent Edwards could learn a lot more that he has/will from JP Losman.<o:p></o:p>
He’s straight-up better than Losman as a backup.<o:p></o:p>
If Edwards goes down, it doesn’t mean our season over.<o:p></o:p>
From all accounts I’ve read and here, Losman has pretty much “bagged” it in already this year. He refuses to talk to the media, he doesn’t appear to play with any inspiration, he isn’t an accurate and intelligent QB to begin with, and I did and still feel it’s only a matter of time this year before problems arise in the locker room with him and a member of the team or coaching staff.. He simply doesn’t want to be here if he’s not starting (and he won’t be)<o:p></o:p>

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
And BTW.. If this were to happen.. I wouldnt dick around with Losman. he has no trade value anyway.. I would simply cut him and his salary and keep Garcia.

cocamide
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
This is not a good idea. Garcia wants to be a starter, and I'm sure we'll have many Bills fans calling for Trent's head after the first series of the first game if it goes poorly, and that's not what we need.

Losman has handled everything well, and I don't think he'll be a locker room problem. Where is the evidence that he isn't playing with any inspiration?

TigerJ
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't think Garcia's going to get the opportunity to be signed as a starter. If he doesn't like the opportunity he woud have in Buffalo to be Edwards' backup, he wouldn't sign, plain and simple. It makes sense for Buffalo to make the offer. Garcia doesn't have much of an arm, but he's mobile and has lots of savvy.

Mr. Pink
08-06-2008, 02:41 PM
See Garcia in Cleveland...he'd look about that bad here.

He's a complete WCO QB, any other system and he's simply lost.

Buffatexas
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
i think Buffalo is the best bet for Garcia to play as a starter. What I mean is if the peters holdout extends into the season and TE gets knocked around a lot.

Carlton Bailey
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Why would Garcia sign here to back up Edwards when he can just as easily go to, say, Minnesota and start?

madness
08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
See Garcia in Cleveland...he'd look about that bad here.

He's a complete WCO QB, any other system and he's simply lost.

???

If he's a WCO QB, why wouldn't he fit in here?

trapezeus
08-06-2008, 03:05 PM
i would thoroughly enjoy if favre bombed in tampa and garcia went to minny and beat the packers. then both sides would lose and it would make me quite happy.

THATHURMANATOR
08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
???

If he's a WCO QB, why wouldn't he fit in here?
We don't run a west coast offense..... :idunno:

madness
08-06-2008, 03:12 PM
We don't run a west coast offense..... :idunno:

..but we do...or going to this season, anyway.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
We don't run a west coast offense..... :idunno: we dont?

raphael120
08-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Dude, we've been running an Ethopian Coast offense the past couple years...we're starvin like Marvin for TDs.

HHURRICANE
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
If Favre is traded to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tampa</st1:place></st1:City> in the next 24 or so hours, that almost certainly means Jeff Garcia gets cut. If that happens, I would love for <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> to sign him.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

He’s a proven vet, with whom Trent Edwards could learn a lot more that he has/will from JP Losman.<o:p></o:p>
From all accounts I’ve read and here, Losman has pretty much “bagged” it in already this year. He refuses to talk to the media, he doesn’t appear to play with any inspiration, he isn’t an accurate and intelligent QB to begin with, and I did and still feel it’s only a matter of time this year before problems arise in the locker room with him and a member of the team or coaching staff.. He simply doesn’t want to be here if he’s not starting (and he won’t be)<o:p></o:p>

I already started this thread yesterday. You're a little late.

X-Era
08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
If Favre is traded to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tampa</st1:place></st1:city> in the next 24 or so hours, that almost certainly means Jeff Garcia gets cut. If that happens, I would love for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:city> to sign him.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Well, on the surface I have no issue with this thought.

However, if Edwards struggles and he probably will at times, we will immediately get the annual controversy started. That has NEVER been a good thing.

I dont know why we have become so unsupporting of our QB's. We act like they have to become solid starters before we can show any faith at all. Thats an oxymoron BTW since faith is a belief in something you havent seen.

Personally Id rather lose a few games due to Edwarsd being out due to injruy and having a so so backup, than win a few of those same games and start a whole new controversy.

This team is going to have to stick it out and develop a stud QB from the inside since they obviously wont get a proven one some other way anymore.

Mr. Pink
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
We run a WCO? Since when?

What I saw last year definitely wasn't a WCO.

THATHURMANATOR
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Seriously YAY.

Mr. Pink
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
WCO utilize throwing the ball to TEs, quick patterns, using the RB in the passing game....

We did any of this last year?

I missed it...refresh my memory.

madness
08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
We run a WCO? Since when?

What I saw last year definitely wasn't a WCO.

Since we hired Turk. Actually it's more of an aggressive version like the one he was part of back in his playing days @ Cincy under Walsh. Little known fact is that the K-Gun stole certain parts of that offense.

From ESPN insider earlier in the year...

Have the Buffalo Bills adapted to their new West Coast offense?
This system, installed by new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, should be beneficial for QB Trent Edwards, who needs to get his completion percentage above the 60 percent mark. Yes, he finished at 56.1 percent last year, but was also guilty of having games in the 30 percent range. Edwards lacks big-time arm strength, but he is a cerebral quarterback who makes good and quick decisions. This is a system that really benefits the Bills' personnel, from Edwards to WR Lee Evans, who can make plays with the ball in his hands, to rookie WR James Hardy, who is a big target and can work the middle of the field, to RB Marshawn Lynch, who will see more seven-man fronts from three-receiver sets. Along with a maturing defense, the ability for Edwards to run this new system will go a long way toward determining the Bills' playoff hopes.

While offensive coordinator Turk Schonert seems intent on installing a scheme using Bill Walsh’s principles and not the late genius’ wholesale structure, it’s still apparent that the Bills will be inclined to use quick drop backs, brief routes, and plenty of targets. The primary beneficiary should be quarterback Trent Edwards, as his penchant for delivering accurately thrown short passes and capacity to supervise are good skills for quarterbacks mentally residing on the West Coast.

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/12271

Schonert's west coast influence

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>January 17, 2008
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 11:13 AM ET | Link (http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=2809)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>SCHONERT'S WEST COAST INFLUENCE: It's true that Turk Schonert and Alex Van Pelt for that matter have backgrounds in the west coast offense. Schonert was the first quarterback to ever run it as the quarterback at Stanford from 1979-81 under Bill Walsh. And Van Pelt played in it at Pitt.
But the truth is there are plays in every offense in the league that come from the west coast offense. Sometimes plays are taught differently to the quarterback in how to move through progressions with those plays, but every team in the league has some plays that are rooted in Walsh's west coast system.
And though there are many disciples of Bill Walsh coaching in the league today (Holmgren, Gruden, Reid, McCarthy etc.) only one guy according to Schonert still runs the "true" west coast scheme anymore.
“West coast nowadays is all terminology," said Schonert. "The only guy that runs the closest thing to the pure west coast is Mike Holmgren in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle</st1:place></st1:City>. He runs split backs. Bill Walsh was my coach in college and I ran it in college. That’s where it came up. It’s a split back running game. Nobody runs split backs. It’s all strong or weak high, but <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle</st1:place></st1:City> runs the ball out of split backs. They still have the true west coast concepts."
Schonert said some teams still have some of the pass concepts and they still call those plays with the same terminology as the original west coast scheme. But Schonert doesn't believe the "west coast" is an all encompassing scheme anymore.
"The west coast to me is just terminology because everybody runs the same (expletive),” he said.
So the feeling I got from him was if he does add anything to the passing game that is rooted in the west coast offense it won't be significant. I think he's more focused on being more aggressive down the field knowing he has a line that can pass protect.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

madness
08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
WCO utilize throwing the ball to TEs, quick patterns, using the RB in the passing game....

We did any of this last year?

I missed it...refresh my memory.

Turk basically just took the terminology from last year. Not much more.

yordad
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I already started this thread yesterday. You're a little late.Yep, and since we are repeating thing, I might as well repeat my reply...

We wouldn't be better off. Maybe if they started Garcia, which they wouldn't do. Garcia Is actually pretty good, and he still has a little left in tank, at 38.

But then again, I prefer we just keep Losman and start him. Losman is 10 or more years younger.

But then of course, after we jacked JP around for years, he would likely leave B-lo now for less money at season's end. Let's think about what it would take for Losman to become a permanent starter..... First, a significant and early Edwards injury. Followed by Losman leading the Bills to a Super Bowl win. OK, a little dramatic, but he is probably good as gone.

I honestly think Garcia would be an upgrade over Edwards. But, not for long. And not meaningfully, immediately enough of an upgrade. Edwards is young, he looks very promising, and most importantly, the Bills look committed to him. Why jack him around.

Garcia wouldn't want to come here and be Edward's backup. JP wouldn't want to be Farve's backup (he would probably rather be there then here though). And, the Bucs probably don't want a guy signed for one year, who won't extend now (for backup money). Anyone ever tried to learn a new NFL playbook in three weeks?

The only thing I could see as being a possible reason to bring him in is to have a 2 year backup, as opposed to a one year. Besides, the Bucs have Simms. He would probably be a better long term backup then Garcia, especially if you consider Simms wouldn't be a lockerroom distraction like Garcia would be. That would still leave the bucs with Farve, Garcia, Brian Greise, Luke McCown, and Josh Johnson(R).

But, considering Simms is about to get cut, trading them Losman wouldn't make sense. He and Gruden don't get along, and Simms is 5th on the depth chart (actually, I don't think he is even on it). NTM, it would make me puke.

So how about if we just sit tight, wait for Hamden to show if he can be an adequate backup, and wait for another team to get it's starter injured or wait for Simms to be cut. There will be better suitors if the Bills really want to swap out Losman.

Marvelous
08-07-2008, 01:56 AM
This is wishful thinking...Trent Edwards is not even close to leading this team. He just looks to RAW. Last season & practice...His p[ocket pressence all gave us wood....But Favre would mean playoffs...SOLD!