PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on today's practice......

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-06-2008, 06:20 PM
This is my second and last practice this year, and I have to say a few players stuck out to me. Where I was sitting was pretty nice because two drills were done right in front of me.

1) The first drill was one on ones with recievers and corners. I couldn't wait to see Hardy in this drill and he did not disappoint. He had three cracks at it if my memory serves me, and all three times they threw a fade to the corner and he came down with all three. He fought McGee off for the first one, and on the third one he had to turn his body around because of the throw and still managed the catch with his feet inbounds after creating nice space between himself and the defender.

Lee Evans looked awesome in this drill also but was on the opposite side of the field. I didn't see him miss any balls in that drill.

Roscoe Parrish also looked impressive in this drill.

Steve Johnson had one of the better catches in the drill jumping higher than the defender and catching a ball that should not have been caught.

2) The second drill I saw was one on one eith DL and OL.

The most impressive player in this drill believe it or not was Kyle Williams. His first time in he put an amazing rip move on Fowler and blew right by him for a sure sack. He got constant pressure no matter who he was facing everytime out.

I am also very happy to report that Chris Ellis looked damn good in this drill on two occasions. First he used a swim to go right by the blocker, next a real nice spin move for the same result. I had heard nothing but bad things about this kid so far, but he was impressive today.

Marcus Stroud is going to be a beast and I need say no more.

John McCargo was a little disappointing. He got no pressure and was consistently shut down at the line.

Schobel had one nice move using his speed and a nice swim to blow by Langston Walker for a sure sack.

Chris Kelsay had a nice pressure, but nothing to write home about as usual.

3) I would say that both Losman and Edwards looked decent today. Neither blew me away, but neither made me want to scream either. Edwards threw deep once and it was caught by Justin Jenkins even with good coverage by Leodis McKelvin. Jenkins just jumped at the right time and really had no business coming down with the ball. Both quarterbacks had good zip on the ball, and I think Losman was the only one to throw a pick off a tipped pass that was caught by Youboty. Edwards did get cuahgt once looking too much in one direction and Stroud tipped it at the line.

4) Although I was impressed with Hardy in the red zone drill he was not perfect. He dropped two balls that to be fair were a bit high, but he probably should have had at least one of them. I saw nothing but good things from Steve Johnson who saw more time because Evans was not really used in the 11 on 11 drills and with Reed out because of injury.

5) I wasn't overly impressed with any running backs with a different last name than Lynch. Lynch had a few nice runs, but nobody else did anything of note.

6) I really like what I am seeing from Schouman. The guys just looks real comfortable catching the ball. He wont be too much of a down field threat, but Trent will be real happy with what he will bring underneath the converage.

7) Leodis McKelvin was used in punt return drills along with Parrish and Fred Jackson. McKelvin dropped one ball that hit him in the hands. In terms of coverage today I thought Leodis was pretty solid. He caused two fumbles, and didn't give up any big plays except for the ball that Jenkins cuaght which was a really lucky catch. Overall our corners are going to be really really solid. Reggie Corner is looking like a steal, and Youboty seems to finally be getting it.

8) The unit I am most excited about is our linebacking group. Mitchell-POZ-Crow is going to be nast as hell. Mitchell and POZ look like they are chizzled out of metal. I am a pretty big guy and I would never want to get hit by either of them. We all know what Crowell brings. This is going to be one of the best if not the best LB groups in the league I guarantee it.

9) Lindell and the kicking group got soem work in on last second field goal attempts. They had to ruch onto the field and set up to kick a game winner, and from the angle I was at Lindell was money everytime.

Overall I am very excited about the team this year and I think Stroud will make all the difference in the world for this defense. Hardy looks to be unstoppable in the red zone. We should all be very excited this year! If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!

Homegrown
08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Awsome report.

If there's one thing I want here this year on Bills play-by-play that been missing for a long time:
"Edwards...throws the fade to the corner....touchdown Hardy"

Captain gameboy
08-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Nice job.

John Doe
08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Great report!

Confused
08-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Good job stampede. No "I told you so's" here, But I am so glad we got Hardy instead of D.Thomas or M.Kelly( both of whom were chastised by Coach Zorn for showing up to camp in less than great physical condition. sorry no link. read it in the Buffalo News at work 2day.) Great hear that Steve Johnson is not only back, but making plays. Thais dude is a steal if ever there was one. In a perfect world I'd love to see it play out in a year or two that Lee is our No1, Hardy is our No.1.5/No.2, Roscoe our faster version of Welker in the slot and Johnson is our No.4/Redzone slot WR. That is a badass WR corp imho.
Thanks again for the report.

lordofgun
08-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks man! Great report!

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Good read.

I LOVE reading a good, honest opinion from a fan; as opposed to people employed by the Buffalo Bills or a major media outlet.

Confused
08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Good read.

I LOVE reading a good, honest opinion from a fan; as opposed to people employed by the Buffalo Bills or a major media outlet.

Hell yeah. Chris Brown is a gelding.

bigbub2352
08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Good read. i am excited for the LBers as well, they were standout when i went to practice too

Nighthawk
08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Just throwing this out there...but is anybody else getting excited about this year??? I'm not saying they'll go to the Super Bowl, but it sure as hell feels like something is building here and I'm excited about it. Now, if only they'd sign Peters!!!

Goobylal
08-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm hoping McCargo is saving it for the real games. Otherwise...

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Just throwing this out there...but is anybody else getting excited about this year??? I'm not saying they'll go to the Super Bowl, but it sure as hell feels like something is building here and I'm excited about it. Now, if only they'd sign Peters!!!They need Peters for a chance for the offense to be legit.

If the offense is decent this year, not even great-- just decent-- this team could do very well.

Confused
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Peters cant hold out the whole year. he'd be all but blacklisted on top of being broke. He shows after the Colts game at the latest..

SquishDaFish
08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
TY nice job

ZacGriffi~82
08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm hearing Youboty's name a hell of a lot more then i ever have before.

BuffaloBills28
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
The most impressive player in this drill believe it or not was Kyle Williams. His first time in he put an amazing rip move on Fowler and blew right by him for a sure sack. He got constant pressure no matter who he was facing everytime out.
I actually laughed while reading that!

shelby
08-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the report, good job.

Captain gameboy
08-07-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm hearing Youboty's name a hell of a lot more then i ever have before.

Raising his market level.

Jan Reimers
08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Great report. I agree that there is much to be excited about, but the Peters thing really has me concerned.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:27 AM
How did Baker look?

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Baker wasn't throwing.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Baker wasn't throwing.

He didn't throw at all today??

Philagape
08-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Baker sat out yesterday

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Baker sat out yesterday

Hmm...wonder why that was...

mysticsoto
08-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Hmm...wonder why that was...

I think I heard it mentioned that he has a groin injury.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I think I heard it mentioned that he has a groin injury.

That sucks, I was hoping he'd get some time on Saturday.

mysticsoto
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
That sucks, I was hoping he'd get some time on Saturday.

Between him and JP's sore/swollen thumb, it'll likely be Trent for the entire 1st half, JP to start out the 3rd quarter, and Hamdam getting almost all the 2nd half after JP throws an interception or two b'cse of his sore thumb - it's affecting him, but he's not giving it time to heal and wants to continue practicing...

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Between him and JP's sore/swollen thumb, it'll likely be Trent for the entire 1st half, JP to start out the 3rd quarter, and Hamdam getting almost all the 2nd half after JP throws an interception or two b'cse of his sore thumb - it's affecting him, but he's not giving it time to heal and wants to continue practicing...

If they play Trent for a full half in the first preseason game Ill be shocked. Most starters only play 1 or 2 series. Advantage is always to the D in the early games.

Coach Sal
08-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Great report. Did you see me there? I was in between the fields wearing an orange and blue golf shirt.

I had some similar observations on some things, and a few others to add. I'm working on all of it right now.

I'm glad you got to see the OL/DL individual session because I didn't get much of a look at that as I was looking at some other stuff going on.

mysticsoto
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
If they play Trent for a full half in the first preseason game Ill be shocked. Most starters only play 1 or 2 series. Advantage is always to the D in the early games.

I wouldn't be shocked. He hasn't looked good and needs all the practice he can get. If I was Jauron, I'd tell JP to take it easy from here til Saturday so that his thumb can be better and he can play more. If you leave it up to him, he won't take it easy at all and it won't have time to heal...

Philagape
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
BTW, Buff News says McCargo was getting first-team reps ... significant because he was demoted earlier

mybills
08-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the report. So, McGee only had one play? Did he practice returning kicks at all?

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I dont remember seeing McGee returning kicks, but him and Evans and Lynch got a lighter work load when I went. I saw Spencer Johnson with the firs unit as well as McCargo.

I thought I saw you Sal, but you were on the practice field. Maybe it wasn't you?

Coach Sal
08-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I thought I saw you Sal, but you were on the practice field. Maybe it wasn't you?

That was me.....on the field. I was between the two fields (on the sidelines) while practice was in session.

Before that, I walked around the fields.

FYI - Jauron said afterword he intentionaly gave McGee and Evans a lighter load for the day.

HHURRICANE
08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Really awesome report.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah I saw you then, but I didn't want to be like hey I'm on that website! Thanks for all the good feedback on the report everyone!