PDA

View Full Version : Youboty to the Browns? John Clayton thinks so.

Ed
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Q: Hey John, with the Browns revamping the defensive line, will they still need another starting-caliber cornerback to be efficient.

Tom in Canton, Ohio

A: I think they could use two additional corners. They head into the season with Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald as their starting corners; both were rookies last season. McDonald was a pleasant surprise as a No. 3 corner in the second half of last season, but going to No. 2 is a big jump. General manager Phil Savage will make one or two moves before the start of the season. I'm betting that he'll pick up Ashton Youboty from the Bills in late August.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3521388

It sounds like Clayton is assuming he'll get cut. I know we're heavy at CB right now, but it sounds like Youboty is having a pretty good off-season. I saw him making some nice plays in the videos of OTA's and he's been making some plays at TC too. I know most people are down on him and ready to give up, but he's only 24 and he has talent. He's gotta at least be a better option then Cox.

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Even with Cox gone, it will be difficult for Youboty.

McGree
Greer
McKelvin
Corner
James

are all ahead of him. Hopefully the Bills can get a pick for him.

Goobylal
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Even with Cox gone, it will be difficult for Youboty.

McGree
Greer
McKelvin
Corner
James

are all ahead of him. Hopefully the Bills can get a pick for him.
If Youboty continues to look good, I'd keep him over James, given James' age and problems staying healthy. However I'd first consider moving James to SS.

Meathead
08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
whos this McGree

did we pick up a mick cb from boston college or something

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
whos this McGree

Reverse affirmative action.

Every team has to have on white CB and we all know Fox sucks

Marvelous
08-07-2008, 01:51 AM
I dunno about James(peterson) ahead of him...Exp -vs- youth...Youboty could still easilly develop....I say we keep him rather then the 5th rounder we would get for him..Or practice squad Corner depending on how Corner plays in pre-season..

Mr. Pink
08-07-2008, 03:47 AM
:rofl: at John Clayton.

Even Gary Baxter coming off two major operations is a better option at corner than Youboty.

Night Train
08-07-2008, 06:12 AM

Even Gary Baxter coming off two major operations is a better option at corner than Youboty.

I've been watching Youboty at camp and he looks good.

Mitchy moo
08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
whos this McGree

Irish exchange player, it's a new NFL program.

Bulldog
08-07-2008, 08:00 AM

Funny that you commented about how bad Buffalo's secondary was in the Redskins thread yesterday and now Clayton is suggesting that the Browns should pick up Youboty. I think you have vastly underrated Buffalo's seconday and overrated the Browns. The Browns secondary is nothing to write home about. If they don't get some help they're going to struggle big time this year.

justasportsfan
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Funny that you commented about how bad Buffalo's secondary was in the Redskins thread yesterday and now Clayton is suggesting that the Browns should pick up Youboty. I think you have vastly underrated Buffalo's seconday and overrated the Browns. The Browns secondary is nothing to write home about. If they don't get some help they're going to struggle big time this year.
:movie:

TigerJ
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM
It's too bad there's no team overloaded with quality left tackles the way Buffalo seems overloaded with cornerbacks.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
For a Conditional pick, Id move him.

Bulldog
08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Fow what's it worth, I would as well. He may develop into a decent CB, but I think Buffalo has enough developing talent on the roster to move him.

Pinkerton Security
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM

you're being kind by saying they are nothing to write home about. they are not good, especially at corner.

mybills
08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
lol McGree. Poor Terrence.

same here.

TigerJ
08-07-2008, 12:15 PM

I probably would too. It sounds as if he's been doing well in camp, but the Bills already have quality depth at CB and only so many roster spots they can use at the position. In a word, he's expendable.

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
"move him?"

He'll be fortunate not to get cut.

Mr. Pink
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM

The Browns corners are weak, yes. Especially with the trade of Bodden to the Lions and Holly being out all year to injury.

But I'd much rather take a Safety combo of Sean Jones - Brodney Pool.

justasportsfan
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
The Browns corners are weak, yes. Especially with the trade of Bodden to the Lions and Holly being out all year to injury.

But I'd much rather take a Safety combo of Sean Jones - Brodney Pool.

Who's talking about the safety here? If the browns cb's are weak like you say they are then why are you laughing at Clayton?

Mr. Pink
08-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Who's talking about the safety here? If the browns cb's are weak like you say they are then why are you laughing at Clayton?

The person in this thread brought up secondaries...not me, not Clayton.

My point in my first post is Ashton Youboty doesn't guarantee better production or isn't better than Gary Baxter coming off two major knee surgeries. Baxter is slotted to be the dime corner this season last I heard.

justasportsfan
08-07-2008, 01:35 PM
The person in this thread brought up secondaries...not me, not Clayton.

My point in my first post is Ashton Youboty doesn't guarantee better production or isn't better than Gary Baxter coming off two major knee surgeries. Baxter is slotted to be the dime corner this season last I heard.

IF our cb's are better than theirs then it's not far fetched that the browns may be interested in one of our weaker cb's .