08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't know what to make of this
Part of me is nervous
part of me thinks he flames out

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Yep, it's a done deal..

MOTHER ****ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOu can say he's not the Bret of old all you want.

I think of one thing and one thing only.. He can be 90 and he's still a hell of a lot better than Chad Pennington.

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Yep, it's a done deal..

MOTHER ****ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOu can say he's not the Bret of old all you want.

I think of one thing and one thing only.. He can be 90 and he's still a hell of a lot better than Chad Pennington.

Meh.

Remember him two years ago?

Unless the Jets keep him under wraps, he makes a ton of mistakes. Had this deal been made in May I would be more concerned. But can Brett Favre learn a new offense in a month or less?

chubluv
F**K. thats not cool.

Does any one think the Bills made a call at least to see what it would cost to make a deal?

Dr. Lecter
And you definetly lead the Zone in Favre threads started......

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
F**K. thats not cool.

Does any one think the Bills made a call at least to see what it would cost to make a deal?

No.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Meh.

Remember him two years ago?

Unless the Jets keep him under wraps, he makes a ton of mistakes. Had this deal been made in May I would be more concerned. But can Brett Favre learn a new offense in a month or less?
I'll say it again.. Brett 2007, 2006, 2004, 1999--whatever.

Do you remember Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens?

To say the Jets are clearly not a better football team now than they were this morning is just absurd.

The Jets have every reason to feel like a playoff contender now.

RingofFire
08-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Jets just gained 4 games in standing IMO

due to favre compared to clemens factor

patmoran2006
He's not Superman anymore, I don't think anyone thinks that.

But he's even a shell of what he was last year, he's a trillion times better than what the Jets had..

If the Bills had CHris Kelsay today and traded for Jason Taylor tommorow, would their team be immediately better? Now multiply that because you're talking about the most important position on the field.

Romes
I hate to be captain obvious but the road to the playoffs just got tougher.

chubluv
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
No.

Should we have?

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Jets just gained 4 games in standing IMO
I agree, I think they go from 6-7 wins to 10, maybe even 11.

They have A LOT of talent on both sides of the ball.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Should we have?
No.

The Bills have to worry about Peters, Evans and maybe Crowell.

For the Jets it made every bit of sense in the world.

Romes
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8381934/Favre-out:-Packers-trade-legend-to-Jets

Dr. Lecter
I'll say it again.. Brett 2007, 2006, 2004, 1999--whatever.

Do you remember Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens?

To say the Jets are clearly not a better football team now than they were this morning is just absurd.

The Jets have every reason to feel like a playoff contender now.

Yeah, they are not very good.

But a QB that does no know the system and has never played with the other players is not helpful either.

A football team is not a great collection of individuals, but a team that can work together and knows how to do so.

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2008, 11:01 PM
He is no longer a 4 w/l difference player, especially going into a new scheme and an offense he has no idea how to run.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 11:02 PM
System?

Dude, Bret from the first day of his career has lived, and died with being a sandlot QB. Its rare to hear Bret Favre and system QB in the same sentence.

If Favre is even "average" the Jets become a very dangerous team.

Romes just said it best.. The Bills road to the playoffs got tougher.. The Jets are better with Favre than Pennington, and nobody can deny that.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Thomas Jones just got some fantasy value real quick, and I'm sure he's doing dances right now.

bye bye 8-man fronts with noodle arm Pennington not starting.

Bling
08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Great move. This makes Bills long shots instead of darkhorses. Man instead of Vikings vs. Pack, it's Dolphins vs. Jets. :ill: I get the brunt of Favre's rage. :ill:

patmoran2006
Jay Glazer reports Chad will be released (and no, we shouldnt sign him)

Dr. Lecter
System?

Dude, Bret from the first day of his career has lived, and died with being a sandlot QB. Its rare to hear Bret Favre and system QB in the same sentence.

If Favre is even "average" the Jets become a very dangerous team.

Romes just said it best.. The Bills road to the playoffs got tougher.. The Jets are better with Favre than Pennington, and nobody can deny that.

Sandlot does not work if the rest of the offense is not sandlot too.

He was better last year because the Pack kept him under control.

He very well might help the Jets. But adding 4 or 5 wins to their total already is nuts. We don't even know what kind of shape he is in.

They have a better QB in Favre than Pennington, but whether or not the team is better is still a question.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Selfishly, I was dying to see Favre face GB.

But although it may end up hurting Buffalo's chances in the division, I cant wait to watch us play him, twice.

DrGraves
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
bills are suddenly battling the dolphins for dead last in the afc east!

Dr. Lecter
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Cutting Pennington will be interesting.

He is very well liked by his teammates.

LtFinFan66
08-06-2008, 11:12 PM
So I guess I get to see Farve play in a month

cocamide
08-06-2008, 11:13 PM
This is definitely an upgrade for them, but Favre isn't god. Remember the last time we played him and balls were bouncing off his face and he threw interceptions in the endzone? Last year was the right mix of very good defense and a great running game. We'll see what happens this year. It will be very interesting to see him vs. the Patsies.

SABuffalo786
08-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Sucks but Favre just doesn't have the weapons he had in Green Bay.

Scumbag College
08-06-2008, 11:17 PM
You know, if Favre is washed up or not, I'm very envious of the Jets and their fans. At least a bad team is making some sort of attempt to make the team better NOW, instead of letting their best player hold out of camp and two big name players go into the last year of their contracts without any type of public progress being made on resigning them.

I know that the draft and smart FA signings are the right way to "rebuild," but every once in a while you have to roll the dice and make some waves and make a trade like this. The Bills should have come into this year as the most improved team in the AFC East, but with the Fins getting Parcells as the GM and now the Jets getting Favre, the Bills may have to take the back seat yet again and fly far under the radar. Forget about ever hearing Bills news on ****Center, I mean SportsCenter.

Bling
08-06-2008, 11:17 PM
So I guess I get to see Farve play in a month

:ill:

raphael120
08-06-2008, 11:18 PM
For those who are afraid of Favre...recall this.

Ko Simpson INT Favre in the endzone...sealing the Bills victory...with an even weaker team than we have now.

raphael120
08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
You know, if Favre is washed up or not, I'm very envious of the Jets and their fans. At least a bad team is making some sort of attempt to make the team better NOW, instead of letting their best player hold out of camp and two big name players go into the last year of their contracts without any type of public progress being made on resigning them.

I know that the draft and smart FA signings are the right way to "rebuild," but every once in a while you have to roll the dice and make some waves and make a trade like this. The Bills should have come into this year as the most improved team in the AFC East, but with the Fins getting Parcells as the GM and now the Jets getting Favre, the Bills may have to take the back seat yet again and fly far under the radar. Forget about ever hearing Bills news on ****Center, I mean SportsCenter.

Bledsoe ring a bell? We had a ****ing PARADE for when we signed him. We do take our chances, we just **** them up. It remains to be seen how good Favre will make the Jets. Definitely makes this season even MORE interesting and this move directly effects the Bills. The Jets are no longer an easy 2 wins. The Bills better hope all these additions work because they're going to need to just to stay ahead of the curve.

yordad
08-06-2008, 11:23 PM
That was the worst case scenario.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
His track record alone will revitalize and bring energy to that team..

Whether the Jets are better or not will be seen on the field; but HOLY **** did this team "go for it" this offseason.

Kris Jenkins.. Calvin Pace.. Alan Faneca.. Damien Woody.. and now Favre. WOW-- We can say whatever we want about Favre, but if you're a Jets fan right now, you are PUMPED.

ScottLawrence
08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
.......I guess hope that the Madden Curse lives on.

Scumbag College
08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Bledsoe ring a bell? We had a ****ing PARADE for when we signed him. We do take our chances, we just **** them up. It remains to be seen how good Favre will make the Jets. Definitely makes this season even MORE interesting and this move directly effects the Bills. The Jets are no longer an easy 2 wins. The Bills better hope all these additions work because they're going to need to just to stay ahead of the curve.

You can't overlook that TD and company made some awful moves over their years. Drew Bledsoe was a total desperation move, TD couldn't live with AVP being the starting QB going into the year. Comparing Drew to Favre is comparing a Big Mac to a T-Bone Steak.

I LOVE the way Marv and now the current regime has gone about improving the team. But, it has been a pretty conservative route. This is the type of move that might make the Jets, but giving up a mid round draft choice that might turn into a higher pick for a living legend QB is a great chance to take.

Ebenezer
His track record alone will revitalize and bring energy to that team..

Whether the Jets are better or not will be seen on the field; but HOLY **** did this team "go for it" this offseason.

Kris Jenkins.. Calvin Pace.. Alan Faneca.. Damien Woody.. and now Favre. WOW-- We can say whatever we want about Favre, but if you're a Jets fan right now, you are PUMPED.
I remember TD doing a lot of big free agent signings....that got us far.

patmoran2006
Didn't the Jets draft a TE in the first round this year too? Bubba Franks is a TE there and a former Packer as well.

patmoran2006
08-06-2008, 11:38 PM
We gave up a first rounder for Drew.

This was a no-brainer for the Jets. He's worth a mid round pick, from my understanding could elevate depending on how the jets do.

Obviously, if the Jets make the playoffs, its worth a high pick, even a first. The objective of football is to make the playoffs.

yordad
08-06-2008, 11:39 PM
.......I guess hope that the Madden Curse lives on.I guess Madden should redo their cover. He is in the wrong jersey.

kinigirly
08-06-2008, 11:41 PM
WOW. brett told the packers if it came down to it he was more comfortable with tampa bay cause of his previous relationship with gruden. so the packers trade him to the jets. yeah. safe to say brett and the packers are not friends. i'm just mortified watching this on espn right now. i know brett messed up by changing his mind, but man this is no way to treat him. i can think of a dozen felons in the nfl that deserve disrespect. poor old country brett just wants to play football. i'm very disappointed right now. i feel kinda old as well. huh.

billser
08-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I dont mind Favre as a Jet. Im a fan of his but he makes really bad decisions and had two average years before last year. Alos, the packers just completely dropped him for an unproven Aaron Roders, I dont know why people deny that fact taht he cost them the playoff game last year.

Michael82
08-06-2008, 11:56 PM
****! Now this makes that trade even worse. I hate you patmoran. :mad:

BillsOwnAll
08-06-2008, 11:58 PM
LOL. I love this website. Some of you people keep reminding me why i dont post as much anymore.

"the jets signed favre!" we have no chance at the playoffs out seasons over.

I mean honestly im not saying were going to make the playoffs but if you think THAT is a sole reason why. you have to be ****tin me.

...and please dont list reasons WHY we WONT make the playoffs i really dont care what you have to say.

as a great man once said. " THATS WHY WE PLAY THE GAME"

Tatonka
08-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I know that the draft and smart FA signings are the right way to "rebuild," but every once in a while you have to roll the dice and make some waves and make a trade like this.

ah.. so a huge marcus stroud trade doesnt count.. your right.. they have done nothing all becuase they didnt trade for a 38 year old qb.

:poop:

raphael120
08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Tge reason you should be worried is because now all of a sudden, the jets are also going to be Competing for a wildcard spot. Titans Cleveland jags jets... It's getting crowded. I now see us 1 game short of the playoffs even if we win 10 games. One good thing is we will know early on if we are playoff bound or not. We play all the wildcard possible. We have to play up to the hype. One thing the bills have not done in 10 years

ScottLawrence
08-07-2008, 12:18 AM
I could care less about this trade or about any other trade another team makes unless it involves us some how.

If Trent has a good year(And Peters is back before the start of the Season) then we will be competing for a playoff spot along with the Jets and just about every other team in the AFC.

People seem to forget the Jets only won 4 games last year and Farve was an interception machine the past two years prior to this one.(Although he was the reason the Packers lost the NFC Championship game which no one ever seems to talk about.)

I know they made significant improvements but so did we.

The Spaz
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Who do the Jets have at WR?

Luisito23
08-07-2008, 12:24 AM

Don't you know that favre also plays WR, RB, OL , Defense, and Special Teams?

The Spaz
08-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Don't you know that favre also plays WR, RB, OL , Defense, and Special Teams?

Exactly...lol

Bone
08-07-2008, 12:27 AM
:rofl:

djjimkelly
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I hate to be captain obvious but the road to the playoffs just got tougher.

we werent a playoff team before this and now we sure arent a playoff team.

so much for the 2-0 everyone had pencilled in vs the jets.

djjimkelly
08-07-2008, 12:29 AM

cotchery and coles they are both gonna have huge years

add in the revamped o line

thomas jones is now gonna have a solid year.

Bone
08-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Tge reason you should be worried is because now all of a sudden, the jets are also going to be Competing for a wildcard spot. Titans Cleveland jags jets... It's getting crowded. I now see us 1 game short of the playoffs even if we win 10 games. One good thing is we will know early on if we are playoff bound or not. We play all the wildcard possible. We have to play up to the hype. One thing the bills have not done in 10 years

How in gods name can you put the Jets automatically in the running for a wildcard spot.

Please state your reasons.

The Spaz
08-07-2008, 12:30 AM
cotchery and coles they are both gonna have huge years

add in the revamped o line

thomas jones is now gonna have a solid year.

Yeah ok...lol. They all are going to be all world now....lol

ScottLawrence
08-07-2008, 12:31 AM

I don't understand why people continue to say this.

The Jets have two solid WR's in Coles and Cotchery. Coles being the speedy threat and Cotchery being a very good physical reciever.

They also added Bubba Franks and Dustin Keller(Solid recieving TE) in the draft.

Along with upgrades on the offensive line in Woody and Faneca.

The Spaz
08-07-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't understand why people continue to say this.

The Jets have two solid WR's in Coles and Cotchery. Coles being the speedy threat and Cotchery being a very good physical reciever.

They also added Bubba Franks and Dustin Keller(Solid recieving TE) in the draft.

Along with upgrades on the offensive line in Woody and Faneca.

Faneca is good I will say that but Woody has been overrated since leaving the Patriots.

djjimkelly
08-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Sucks but Favre just doesn't have the weapons he had in Green Bay.

lol they might be better.

i like coles and cotchery alot.

thomas jones is a better rb then anything GB had

their left side of the OLINE might be best in football

ScottLawrence
08-07-2008, 12:34 AM
lol they might be better.

i like coles and cotchery alot.

thomas jones is a better rb then anything GB had

their left side of the OLINE might be best in football

Faneca is very good obviously.

Ferguson has never impressed me. Schobel seems to abuse him every game.

Bone
08-07-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't know whats up with all this hype with Brett Farve to the Jets....If he went to the Bucs then we could talk about being a contender.

Romes
08-07-2008, 12:52 AM
we werent a playoff team before this and now we sure arent a playoff team.

so much for the 2-0 everyone had pencilled in vs the jets.

good. so we agree that the road got tougher.

acehole
08-07-2008, 12:55 AM
on ESPN news now.

hE WAS IN OUR GRASP..... bRETT ****** FARVE...

wE PASSED HIM up....WHY?

We had better not suck on offense....

CuseJetsFan83
08-07-2008, 01:04 AM
wow, green bay really wanted him out.... here are the terms as per nfl.com report...

It turns into a third-round pick if he plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809ccdb9&template=with-video&confirm=true

Dujek
08-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Look on the bright side, McKelvin and McGee's INT stats for the season just took a massive jump.

plundar
08-07-2008, 02:33 AM
We are F'ed. That was a couple games we could have won. Now...it will be a LOT harder.

CuseJetsFan83
08-07-2008, 02:49 AM
honestly, and no im not trying to coy it up...... but i still think you guys are barely better than us on paper, solely based on a new qb in a new system..... and all over we are a mess.

now, say 4 games into the season, obviously things may play out one way or another....

njsue
08-07-2008, 02:54 AM
Don't worry Bills fans Gangreen is no where close to being the playoff team the Packers are. TRUST ME Brett Farve will be miserable and sacked alot.

Brett Favre meet Aaron Schobel.

njsue
08-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Look on the bright side, McKelvin and McGee's INT stats for the season just took a massive jump.

I know that's right. :snicker: Aaron Schobel has a new QB to torture.

Dr. Pepper
08-07-2008, 03:19 AM
oh no the sky is falling!

*yawn*

ill believe the hype if Favre's stats are even close to what they were last year after the first couple games. until then i don't really care, other than the fact that it'll make our games against the jets a little more exciting to watch.

njsue
08-07-2008, 03:21 AM
No way Farve learns an entirely new system completely in just 4 weeks.

:gobills:

Mr. Pink
08-07-2008, 03:45 AM
Ugh...another year mired in third place and out of playoff contention.

Just, ugh.

Dujek
08-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Ugh...another year mired in third place and out of playoff contention.

Just, ugh.

Yeah, Favre isn't the answer to moving the Jets out of 3rd in the division.

shelby
08-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Bucs fans aren't happy with this, i'm sure.

Do we still count on a sweep of the Jest this season?

Dujek
08-07-2008, 04:38 AM

Yep. Favre has had one good year in the last 4, he's almost as statuesque as Bledsoe was with the Bills, and he still has an uncanny knack of picking out DBs when the pressure is on. He's an upgrade for the Jets, but not enough to make any difference in the games with the Bills or Patriots.

Carlton Bailey
08-07-2008, 04:43 AM
I barely even care. Did the Jets get better? Yeah. Are they still pretty mediocre? Yeah.

Last I checked, Favre won't be complemented by Ryan Grant, Donald Driver, James Jones, a great offensive line and a wonderful defense. The Jets have an adequate RB in Thomas Jones, a really solid WR tandem (but not as good as the Packers'), a rookie TE in Dustin Keller, a middling O-line -- Alan Faneca is a great run blocker, but he gave up over seven sacks in 2007, and Damien Woody isn't his Patriot self -- and a mediocre defense.

Favre got the majority of the credit, but last year's Packers were quietly stacked; this season's Jets, even with Favre, don't appear all that impressive. Eight wins for them is my prediction. They look more like the '06 Packers than the '07 version.

PECKERWOOD
08-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Favre has always been my favorite non-Bills QB.. Disappointed to have to root against him this year, but oh well.

livinglegend
08-07-2008, 05:02 AM
The Buffalo Bills are still a better team than the New York Jets because, the Bills are a true team. The Jets has spent 150 million dollars on free agents and now they Farve. Farve is just another "old player" that the Jets have picked up because, Magani is scared that he, is going to lose his job. visit my new blog at www.buffalobillsblitz.blogspot.com (http://www.buffalobillsblitz.blogspot.com) and say whatever you want on my blog.

LtFinFan66
08-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Yep. Favre has had one good year in the last 4, he's almost as statuesque as Bledsoe was with the Bills, and he still has an uncanny knack of picking out DBs when the pressure is on. He's an upgrade for the Jets, but not enough to make any difference in the games with the Bills or Patriots.2 good years in the last 4. 2004 and 2007

Dujek
08-07-2008, 06:00 AM
2 good years in the last 4. 2004 and 2007

So they have a 50% chance of him not being rubbish instead of a 25% chance.

Looking at his schedule I'd say that after he gets run over by the Patriots in week 2 Favre may decide that he should have stayed retired.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-07-2008, 06:07 AM
I am honestly not that worried. We may now have a split with the Jets, but really they aren't that good. D'Brick sucks, and they spent a lot of money on some average players like Calvin Pace. Kris Jenkins doesn't worry me much at all to be honest because he will be hurt pretty quickly or not trying. Their recievers aren't better than our corners and safties. Our new DL and LB are pretty damn good from what I have seen at camp. Stroud will tee off on him as will Schobel. I still say we win 10 games and make the playoffs.

Night Train
08-07-2008, 06:09 AM
We pounded Green Bay at the Ralph 3 years back, when Lord Favre was in his prime and we sucked.

Now a soon to be 39 year old QB is going to a bad team late and some believe he will carry them all by himself.

You've got to be kidding me. He's going to throw a ton of INT's and kill this team.

The Jets will get a lot of attention for a 5-11 team. I can't wait to play them.

LtFinFan66
08-07-2008, 06:12 AM
I will get to see Favre live in his first regular season game as a Jet

BAM
08-07-2008, 06:25 AM
This sucks. A lot.

X-Era
08-07-2008, 06:27 AM
And you definetly lead the Zone in Favre threads started......

And in a related story, Pat's head has left is shoulders and entered near space.

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Yep. Favre has had one good year in the last 4, he's almost as statuesque as Bledsoe was with the Bills, and he still has an uncanny knack of picking out DBs when the pressure is on. He's an upgrade for the Jets, but not enough to make any difference in the games with the Bills or Patriots.
Did you just mention the Bills and Patriots in the same sentence. talking about not enough to make any difference? YOu meant the Pats and Chargers right? Or the Pats and COlts? Or the Pats and Jags? You didn't just say the Pats and Bills, did you?

Dude. Bottom line.. We've been above .500 like what, once this decade? We were 7-9 last year.. That doesnt mean we wont be good this year; that means that the Bills haven't PROVEN ****, so how you can say a team that just upgraded big time at QB wont make any difference against us is totally mind boggling.

Dujek
08-07-2008, 06:51 AM
I mentioned them in the same sentence because the last time I looked they were still the two best teams in the division, and that's got to be the first comparison you make when a player lands at a team.

Both the Bills and the Patriots will beat down the Jets this year. It doesn't mean that I think the Bills are as good as the Patriots, it's just that I think that the Jets, even with Favre, suck that hard. Obviously the Chargers and Jags will dominate the Jets as well, but by mentioning the Bills I kinda made it obvious that that would be the case.

Still don't see 2008 Brett Favre as being a big upgrade for anyone. Dude's old, slow and keeps throwing picks.

Jan Reimers
08-07-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm glad the Favre saga is over, and I'm glad he landed with the Jets, where we can pound his 39 year old body and take advantage of his diminishing skills twice a year.

OpIv37
08-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Man, this place cracks me up sometimes.

We add a rookie WR to the 30th ranked offense in the NFL and everyone thinks we've improved through "experience" The Jets replace Chad Pennington with Brett Favre but everyone thinks they didn't get better.

Please.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Adding Favre in April is an improvement.

In August? It is unknown.

Novacane
08-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Over reaction

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Man, this place cracks me up sometimes.

We add a rookie WR to the 30th ranked offense in the NFL and everyone thinks we've improved through "experience" The Jets replace Chad Pennington with Brett Favre but everyone thinks they didn't get better.

Please.
you can always tell the credible football people by whom has the ability to give credit to another team besides the Bills.

If anyone thinks the Jets arent better today than they were yesterday; they're full of ****.

And as far as other offseason moves, here's a newsflash; the Bills arent the only team who got better personnel. I find it hard to believe there's a Bills guy on here who wouldnt take Faneca over Butler or Dockery.

The Jets are a good team again; they sucked last year; they were a playoff team the year before that. If nothing else, they're playoff contenders

Jan Reimers
08-07-2008, 07:46 AM
I think a lot of people fail to realize that football players are not like fine wine - they don't get better with age.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 07:46 AM
He certainly is an upgrade OP. Can he at 38 completely turn them around from 4-12? I HOPE NOT!!! I can see two completely different scenarios in my mind here. In 1 the Jets and Favre turn into a powerhouse with complete media coverage at all times or 2 Favre looks like **** and everyone talks about how Favre Completely tarnished his image.

OpIv37
08-07-2008, 07:49 AM
I think a lot of people fail to realize that football players are not like fine wine - they don't get better with age.

Favre is not what he once was- no one is debating that.

But I'd take a 39 year old Favre over a 29 year old Pennington any day.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Pennington is 32

OpIv37
08-07-2008, 07:51 AM
He certainly is an upgrade OP. Can he at 38 completely turn them around from 4-12? I HOPE NOT!!! I can see two completely different scenarios in my mind here. In 1 the Jets and Favre turn into a powerhouse with complete media coverage at all times or 2 Favre looks like **** and everyone talks about how Favre Completely tarnished his image.

I seriously doubt that they'll go from 4-12 to 12-4 and competing with the Pats for the division title.

However, Favre wasn't their only upgrade and they have a good OL (on paper at least). If I remember correctly, they added a few people to their D as well.

Before Favre, they were a 6-7 win team. If Favre gets them even 2 wins, that puts them at 8-9 and in the playoff hunt.

OpIv37
08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Pennington is 32

I'd take a 39 year old Favre over a 25 year old Pennington and I'd definitely take a 39 year old Favre over a 32 year old Pennington.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 07:53 AM
you can always tell the credible football people by whom has the ability to give credit to another team besides the Bills.

If anyone thinks the Jets arent better today than they were yesterday; they're full of ****.

And as far as other offseason moves, here's a newsflash; the Bills arent the only team who got better personnel. I find it hard to believe there's a Bills guy on here who wouldnt take Faneca over Butler or Dockery.

The Jets are a good team again; they sucked last year; they were a playoff team the year before that. If nothing else, they're playoff contenders

Yes, because there are no reasons to wonder if this will help the Jets as much as some think.

Vic Carucci, one of the better journalists out there, questions whether it will help or not too. I guess he is not credible. people can credit other teams, but not necessarily think this move is a magic cure all.

Again, getting a player like Favre in August is not as nearly helpful as getting him in April or May.

He has never played in the style of offense the Jets use. Will he be productive as a short passing game, ball control guy? Will he be able to adjust to Coles and Cotchery and not have Driver and Jennings to use? Will the Jets tackles give him enought time (Obviously the middle of the line is very solid). Will Favre play like the Favre of 2007 or the Favre of 2006? How will the Jets players react to the pending release of the very popular Chad Pennington? Will Favre work with the coaches and not try to do too much himself?

Is Favre a better QB than Penington? Yes. No doubt. Does that translate into a better team? There are legitimate questions in that regard.

Dujek
08-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Faneca's pass blocking was woeful last year. His run blocking was as great as always, but he was personally responsible for 7 sacks last year, and he's not getting any younger or faster.

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 07:55 AM
lol.. Did Favre suck last year?

Going by your logic, is Stroud's best days long behind him? He's 30 years old, and 8 years into the league, a lot for a DT.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 07:55 AM
I seriously doubt that they'll go from 4-12 to 12-4 and competing with the Pats for the division title.

However, Favre wasn't their only upgrade and they have a good OL (on paper at least). If I remember correctly, they added a few people to their D as well.

Before Favre, they were a 6-7 win team. If Favre gets them even 2 wins, that puts them at 8-9 and in the playoff hunt.
Yeah I am with you! I can't wait to get the Traitor chants starting when he comes to the Ralph!

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 07:58 AM
People can say what they want, but Romes said it best in this thread. He said the Bills road to the playoffs “just got tougher”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Doesn’t mean the Bills wont make the playoffs, doesn’t mean we won’t sweep the jets. It means what it means. Favre combined with the other moves the Jets made and some of the solid young talent they have, put them right into the playoff mix.<o:p></o:p>

Dujek

Going by your logic, is Stroud's best days long behind him? He's 30 years old, and 8 years into the league, a lot for a DT.

Stroud's best days are behind him, but he's still better than what we had there to start with.

No-one's saying the Jets won't be better with Favre, but he isn't going to turn a terrible team into a playoff team. He's good for an extra couple of wins for them, that's all.

OpIv37
Is Favre a better QB than Penington? Yes. No doubt. Does that translate into a better team? There are legitimate questions in that regard.

There are legitimate questions with the Bills offense. Will the OL be able to run block? Will Edwards improve? Will Hardy be able to take pressure off of Evans? Will the other young guys improve? Will Schonert be a good OC? Will any of our TE's finally step up?

So, since both teams are facing legitimate questions, how can you say that the Bills O is improved but it remains to be seen if the Jets O is improved?

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Stroud's best days are behind him, but he's still better than what we had there to start with.

No-one's saying the Jets won't be better with Favre, but he isn't going to turn a terrible team into a playoff team. He's good for an extra couple of wins for them, that's all.
Thank you.. The Jets are better with Favre than Pennington. that's all the majority of people are trying to say.

Bill Brasky
08-07-2008, 08:00 AM
I am honestly not that worried. We may now have a split with the Jets, but really they aren't that good. D'Brick sucks, and they spent a lot of money on some average players like Calvin Pace. Kris Jenkins doesn't worry me much at all to be honest because he will be hurt pretty quickly or not trying. Their recievers aren't better than our corners and safties. Our new DL and LB are pretty damn good from what I have seen at camp. Stroud will tee off on him as will Schobel. I still say we win 10 games and make the playoffs.

jets fans could echo the same about the bills

njsue

Oh yeah. Favre melts under extreme pressure.

patmoran2006

In 2005 the Jets finished 4-12. In 2006, just one year later, they went 10-6 and made the playoffs. It can happen again.

Of course, they can also go 4-12 again. But they're a better team with Favre than Pennington that's for damn sure.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 08:01 AM
People can say what they want, but Romes said it best in this thread. He said the Bills road to the playoffs “just got tougher”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Doesn’t mean the Bills wont make the playoffs, doesn’t mean we won’t sweep the jets. It means what it means. Favre combined with the other moves the Jets made and some of the solid young talent they have, put them right into the playoff mix.<o:p></o:p>
Ok great...

Dujek
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Thank you.. The Jets are better with Favre than Pennington. that's all the majority of people are trying to say.

No-one is saying they aren't. They are merely pointing out that he mightn't be as big an improvement as you and a few others seem to think.

To be honest anyone who can throw the ball past the down marker is an improvement over Pennington.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 08:04 AM
There are legitimate questions with the Bills offense. Will the OL be able to run block? Will Edwards improve? Will Hardy be able to take pressure off of Evans? Will the other young guys improve? Will Schonert be a good OC? Will any of our TE's finally step up?

So, since both teams are facing legitimate questions, how can you say that the Bills O is improved but it remains to be seen if the Jets O is improved?

The two situations are not identical and you are (again - it is a skill you have) are twisting my words. Based on their totality of moves the Jets offense should be better.

My question is how much Favre alone makes them. Not to mention the Favre move took place in November, not March, April or May. That makes a huge difference, as taking a QB who is 39 and telling him to learn a new offense scheme and new players is not as easy as it sounds.

I have never said there are not questions with the Bills offense, Of course there are. Anybody can see that.

And what about you? Why do you rant off about other teams moves are magical and the Bills moves this made them a worse team?

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Oh yeah. Favre melts under extreme pressure.

Like the day after his dad died? Or in the Super Bowl?

njsue
08-07-2008, 08:06 AM

Like the day after his dad died? Or in the Super Bowl?

No like his days under Mike Sherman. :rofl: Brett Farve is toast as a member of Gangreen. The Packers did him an injustice.

Plus the Jets o line is still in ? even though they stole the Steelers center Alan Faneca. Dbrickashaw Fergeson gets beat. Brett will be running for his life.

baalworship
08-07-2008, 08:10 AM

I agree....on paper. It remains to be seen how Favre will adjust to the new team, system, spotlight of NYC. But on paper we can't now just hope our offense gets a TD at some point in the game. Trent will have to be the real deal for us to beat the Jets now. With Pennington the Jauron approach of winning the game 10-7 was possible. This will no longer work and we will actually have to score at least 2 TD's to beat the Jersey Jets now.

OpIv37
08-07-2008, 08:13 AM
The two situations are not identical and you are (again - it is a skill you have) are twisting my words. Based on their totality of moves the Jets offense should be better.

My question is how much Favre alone makes them. Not to mention the Favre move took place in November, not March, April or May. That makes a huge difference, as taking a QB who is 39 and telling him to learn a new offense scheme and new players is not as easy as it sounds.

I have never said there are not questions with the Bills offense, Of course there are. Anybody can see that.

And what about you? Why do you rant off about other teams moves are magical and the Bills moves this made them a worse team?

I never said the Bills were worse. I said the D was better and the O was the same. And I never said the Jets moves were "magical"- I said Favre will get them 2 extra wins which could put them in the playoff race. Don't accuse others of twisting words when you're doing it yourself.

Jan Reimers
08-07-2008, 08:14 AM
We all agree that Brett Favre has been a much, much better QB than Chad Pennington. But Favre will turn 39 during the season, and is taking over an offense that was built around a guy who couldn't throw the ball more than 20 yards.

How well he'll do and how much the team will improve is totally unknown at this point.

ddaryl
08-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I think the Jets are a better team with Farve this year, but he won't be a difference maker. In which I mean he won't propel the Jets into a playoff team IMO...

The emotion he'll bring to the team will serve the team well in early games, but like many have said, Farve can make a ton of mistakes, and with an unfamiliar team and playbook etc... those mistakes can get magnified.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM

I want you to remeber this quote the next time you start talking about players growing from year to year, like Edwards or Butler. Just saying its contradictory to others things you've said in the past.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I never said the Bills were worse. I said the D was better and the O was the same. And I never said the Jets moves were "magical"- I said Favre will get them 2 extra wins which could put them in the playoff race. Don't accuse others of twisting words when you're doing it yourself.

You said they would have the same record (7-9) as last year.

You also admitted that the schedule (in theory) is easier than last year.

So if a team has the same record two years in a row and the 2nd year has an easier schedule, how are they not worse the 2nd year?

And that does not even get into the 17 injuries they had last year.

You also have said the Jets moves make them a playoff contender, which would require 11 wins (you also told me 10 wins would not be enough for the Bills). How is a 2 win improvement good enough for them to be a playoff contender but a three win improvement not enough for the Bills?

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
You said they would have the same record (7-9) as last year.

You also admitted that the schedule (in theory) is easier than last year.

So if a team has the same record two years in a row and the 2nd year has an easier schedule, how are they not worse the 2nd year?

And that does not even get into the 17 injuries they had last year.
They dont get Peters they'll be lucky to win 7 games

OpIv37
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM
We all agree that Brett Favre has been a much, much better QB than Chad Pennington. But Favre will turn 39 during the season, and is taking over an offense that was built around a guy who couldn't throw the ball more than 20 yards.

How well he'll do and how much the team will improve is totally unknown at this point.

Well how much the Bills players will improve is totally unknown at this point, yet you are "optimistic" about the Bills this year. So, are you optimistic about the Jets too?

I guess "optimistic" is the wrong word because no Bills fan would ever feel good about the prospect of the Jets being better. So let me rephrase that: do you see the Favre move as positive for the Jets despite the unknowns?

njsue
08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Here is Gangreens schedule:

September
9/7 - @ MIA
9/14 - vs NE
9/22 - @ SD
9/28 - vs ARI

October
10/12 - vs CIN
10/19 - @ OAK
10/26 - vs KC

November
11/2 - @ BUF
11/9 - vs STL
11/13 - @ NE
11/23 - @ TEN
11/30 - vs DEN

December
12/7 - @ SF
12/14 - vs BUF
12/21 - @ SEA
12/28 - vs MIA

Dr. Lecter
I want you to remeber this quote the next time you start talking about players growing from year to year, like Edwards or Butler. Just saying its contradictory to others things you've said in the past.

I think it is pretty clear that there is a big difference between 38 and 24.

C'mon.

DraftBoy
Here is what Brett Farve has around him this year;
1000 yd rusher in Thomas Jones
1000 yd WR in Jericho Cotchery who is probably the most underrated WR in the NFL
A dynamic Laveranues Coles who only needs a QB who can get him the ball.
An OL that allowed 53 sacks last year

What potentially may be one of the best young D's in pro football between; Ellis, Jenkins, Harris, Gholston, Pace, Miller, Revis, and Rhodes.

To not think the Jets are both better than us and a legit playoff contender is very very bias opinion. The Jets don't need Brett Farve to even be as good as he was last year. He could be Dilfer like and they are still better than us. Its really that simple guys.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I think it is pretty clear that there is a big difference between 38 and 24.

C'mon.

Its not my words, normally Id agree with you, but if you are going to make bold statements with no limits then expect to be called out on it. Also find me a coach almost anywhere who takes a young guy over a proven veteran. Just one thats all Im saying...

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Its not my words, normally Id agree with you, but if you are going to make bold statements with no limits then expect to be called out on it. Also find me a coach almost anywhere who takes a young guy over a proven veteran. Just one thats all Im saying...

Quit focusing on semantics.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Quit focusing on semantics.

Why would I ever do that? This entire board is based on that.

But my point remains true, find me one coach who would not take a proven all-pro vet over a young player. Just one.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Here is what Brett Farve has around him this year;
1000 yd rusher in Thomas Jones
1000 yd WR in Jericho Cotchery who is probably the most underrated WR in the NFL
A dynamic Laveranues Coles who only needs a QB who can get him the ball.
An OL that allowed 53 sacks last year

What potentially may be one of the best young D's in pro football between; Ellis, Jenkins, Harris, Gholston, Pace, Miller, Revis, and Rhodes.

To not think the Jets are both better than us and a legit playoff contender is very very bias opinion. The Jets don't need Brett Farve to even be as good as he was last year. He could be Dilfer like and they are still better than us. Its really that simple guys.

But he is not Dilfer like. Can Favre become a game manager (the style of QB the Jets offense is built for) or he will he try to be a gunslinger?

Favre is boom or bust due to his style of play and there are so many other variables that will come with him (including heightened media attention and the pressure of playng in NYC) that NOTHING is guarenteed.

Although I do agree 100% on their defense. It is going to be very good.

SABURZFAN
08-07-2008, 08:27 AM

A 39 year old QB isn't growing year to year like a 24 year old QB so your comparison isn't even close.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:29 AM
But he is not Dilfer like. Can Favre become a game manager (the style of QB the Jets offense is built for) or he will he try to be a gunslinger?

Favre is boom or bust due to his style of play and there are so many other variables that will come with him (including heightened media attention and the pressure of playng in NYC) that NOTHING is guarenteed.

Although I do agree 100% on their defense. It is going to be very good.

Good point, he can't be Dilfer like but even Farve's worst year (06, and 05) are still better than the Clemens, Pennington team. So even if he is as bad as he was then, I still think the Jets are better than us. They have more weapons, and a better D.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:30 AM
A 39 year old QB isn't growing year to year like a 24 year old QB so your comparison isn't even close.

Nobody was making the comparison, I was simply making a point.

Bulldog
08-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Why would I ever do that? This entire board is based on that.

But my point remains true, find me one coach who would not take a proven all-pro vet over a young player. Just one.

Mike McCarthy

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Mike McCarthy

Touche.

acehole
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Do you know you people actually sound insane to me?

A guy that has been great his whole life is now going to suck...
Yet a guy who has never proven anything in school or the pros..

is going to be (and is) great?

Honestly what do you people smoke before posting?

We pounded Green Bay at the Ralph 3 years back, when Lord Favre was in his prime and we sucked.

Now a soon to be 39 year old QB is going to a bad team late and some believe he will carry them all by himself.

You've got to be kidding me. He's going to throw a ton of INT's and kill this team.

The Jets will get a lot of attention for a 5-11 team. I can't wait to play them.

trapezeus
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
my comments to all this is this:

1. Brett doesn't need a system. he does his thing. in the last two years he looked awful and he looked good. Awful coincided with the bears defense being really good. Good Brett occured when his entire division fell apart. So i think his chances in the East tend to look more like Bad Brett. Dolphins, Bills and Patriots have pretty good defenses. Definitely a step up from the NFC North Defenses of last year.

2. I'd be more concerned if he was in OTA's and a prolevel training situation then was traded to the Jets. Instead, all I've heard is he retired (i assume when you do that, you let yourself go for a few weeks), waffled on coming back (probably worked out on his own in that period on a less than NFL strigent basis), and then decided to come back and was throwing footballs with highschoolers. So, what kind of playing shape is he in? Wouldn't a 38 year old need some serious conditioning year-round to have a shot to get through the season?

If Brett plays like brett of Old, then it's a problem for the Bills. If he looks uncomfortable and continues to act like a Primadonna, the Jets have themselves a problem.

those are my thoughts.

Philagape
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
The Jets are a playoff contender and have at least pulled even with the Bills, as far as possibilities.
Their possible range of wins is pretty wide, because while Favre is high-reward, he's also high-risk. He could light it up, or he could have Jets fans calling for Clemens.
Favre's presence alone changes things. TJones will have more room to run. Coles and Cotchery will look better, and they were decent to begin with. Keller's been looking pretty good, or so I've read. The line may struggle to protect Favre; his games streak is in way more jeopardy now.
The Bills have just as many questions and uncertainties, if not more. If there was one thing they clearly did better than the Jets, it's pass protection, but now that's in trouble with Peters out.
Their defenses are very comparable: they were right next to each other in points allowed last year; they both added a former Pro Bowl DT and a veteran LB; and they both have young, promising inside LBs. But the Jets have a better secondary right now.
So while Favre has too many questions to guarantee anything, their potential is unquestionably equal to Buffalo's at the least.

Bulldog
08-07-2008, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't call the two seasons prior to last year great.

2006 3,885 YDS 18 TD's 18 INT's

2005 3,881 YDS 20 TD's 29 INT's

Last year Favre was great. He had a nice groupe of WR's and a really solid running game. I don't know what to make of this whole thing. I guess it depends on which Favre the Jets get. Is he going to be the Favre of last year, or is he going to revert to the Favre of the two seasons prior?

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 08:48 AM

I don't think anybody is saying anything close to that and Brett, one of my all time favorite QBs and a top 5 of all time imo, has not always been great and is going into a 100% different situation than he has even been in.

acehole
08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Wow so you are saying peices around a qb and the qb effect each other...hmm.

Quite different then before when we "Only" had to look at the qb.

The Jets are a playoff contender and have at least pulled even with the Bills, as far as possibilities.
Their possible range of wins is pretty wide, because while Favre is high-reward, he's also high-risk. He could light it up, or he could have Jets fans calling for Clemens.
Favre's presence alone changes things. TJones will have more room to run. Coles and Cotchery will look better, and they were decent to begin with. Keller's been looking pretty good, or so I've read. The line may struggle to protect Favre; his games streak is in way more jeopardy now.
The Bills have just as many questions and uncertainties, if not more. If there was one thing they clearly did better than the Jets, it's pass protection, but now that's in trouble with Peters out.
Their defenses are very comparable: they were right next to each other in points allowed last year; they both added a former Pro Bowl DT and a veteran LB; and they both have young, promising inside LBs. But the Jets have a better secondary right now.
So while Favre has too many questions to guarantee anything, their potential is unquestionably equal to Buffalo's at the least.

acehole
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't think anybody is saying anything close to that and Brett, one of my all time favorite QBs and a top 5 of all time imo, has not always been great and is going into a 100% different situation than he has even been in.

Yes it will be different.

But to infer that he will suck when the past will tell us the opposite.

When the other assumed great when he has done nothing is silly to me.

TigerJ
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Observations:
1. Brett Favre at 37 or however old he is, is better than Pennington or whoever.

2. Favre's effectiveness this season will depend at least in part on how similar or different the Jets' offensive system is from what Favre was accustommed to in Green Bay, and his supporting cast. That said, the Jets spent a lot of money to have a good offensive line, and they have at least decent skill people around Favre. And since Pennington has no arm, their system is probably not too different from the West Coast system that was the base out of which Favre operated at Green Bay. About the only question that remains concerns terminology. If Favre has to learn all new terminology, it will slow him down some, since his old Wonderlic scores suggest that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. That's not to say he isn't one of the greatest natural talents ever to play the game at QB.

All in all, this probably elevates the Jets to a contender for second place in the division and makes Buffalo's job a lot tougher. But by no means is it impossible, and I don't expect Buffalo to lay down and die because of it.

Go Bills!

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Yeah.. Bret Favre is all washed up and old. Just like Jerry Rice was when he went to the Raiders at the age of 39 (what a coincidence). All Rice did at 39 for the Raiders in his first year was catch 83 balls for 1139 yards and 9 TD. Oh, the next year he caught 92 for 1211 and helped the Raiders get to the Super Bowl.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
When you’re great, you’re great. Favre will do a good job for the Jets.<o:p></o:p>

acehole
08-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I will tell you what the only variable is how fast will he learn this offense...

Not "Can he run it"

He was one play away from the SB.

He will improve that team.

Anyhow we dont look at stats here...they are inconvenient.

\
I wouldn't call the two seasons prior to last year great.

2006 3,885 YDS 18 TD's 18 INT's

2005 3,881 YDS 20 TD's 29 INT's

Last year Favre was great. He had a nice groupe of WR's and a really solid running game. I don't know what to make of this whole thing. I guess it depends on which Favre the Jets get. Is he going to be the Favre of last year, or is he going to revert to the Favre of the two seasons prior?

acehole
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah.. Bret Favre is all washed up and old. Just like Jerry Rice was when he went to the Raiders at the age of 39 (what a coincidence). All Rice did at 39 for the Raiders in his first year was catch 83 balls for 1139 yards and 9 TD. Oh, the next year he caught 92 for 1211 and helped the Raiders get to the Super Bowl.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When you’re great, you’re great. Favre will do a good job for the Jets.<o:p></o:p>

We couldof had him Pat....what say you!

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
<o:p></o:p>

There are examples of players crapping the bed too.

He also went to the Raiders before TC started remember. The fact it is not April and is August is being over looked by people that should realize it is not insignificant.

Mr. Miyagi
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
jesus christ patmoran which building are you gonna jump off? farve makes the jets better maybe in week 6 not september. and it doesn't make us long shots. dude u need to chill the hell our

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Guys Favre will probably be good for a Jets. We should be focusing on ways to beat him not lick his balls or say he won't be good.

historypete
08-07-2008, 09:18 AM
There are examples of players crapping the bed too.

He also went to the Raiders before TC started remember. The fact it is not April and is August is being over looked by people that should realize it is not insignificant.

I'd put my money on Favre having a solid year than the type of year he had two years ago. He has some weapons on that offense. Jones, Cotchery, Coles, the kid from Perdue. In addition to that the offensive line has been revamped. I think this is a ballsy move by the Jets, you have to give them a ton of credit considering this could cost them as little as a 4th round pick if it doesn't work out.

don137
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
There is no doubt the Jets are a better team today then they were yesterday however I truly do not think the jump they make will be that much.
Yes, Brett has the ability to win games but with his aggressive style he has the ability to lose some games for them as well. Throw in the fact he will not have a chemistry with his receivers for some time, his lack of knowing the playbook combined with his aggressive gunslinging mentailty I think he will throw a lot of interceptions this year and I do not think the difference will very dramatic.
The Jets get someone that will make the highlight reel a lot more than Pennington, both good and bad.

Jan Reimers
08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I know on here I should be much more precise in what I say. I have said in the past that players often improve significantly in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years, including Edwards, Lynch, Butler, Whitner, Simpson, Poz, McCargo, etc. I was referring to young, relatively inexperienced players making big jumps early in their careers.

Brett Favre is going on 39, and entering his 18th (?) season. He does not at all fit the model I was talking about, and you know it.

But feel free to take a cheap shot anytime.

don137
08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I think this is a ballsy move by the Jets, you have to give them a ton of credit considering this could cost them as little as a 4th round pick if it doesn't work out.
I think it is a ballsy move but it will cost them more then a 4th round pick. There are salary cap repercussions from this as well. The Jets were close to the salary cap and now will have to re-do contracts and cut players to make everything work. By re-doing some contracts it can really come back to hurt them down the road because they will not have as much money to re-sign some of their own players.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I know on here I should be much more precise in what I say. I have said in the past that players often improve significantly in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years, including Edwards, Lynch, Butler, Whitner, Simpson, Poz, McCargo, etc. I was referring to young, relatively inexperienced players making big jumps early in their careers.

Brett Favre is going on 39, and entering his 18th (?) season. He does not at all fit the model I was talking about, and you know it.

But feel free to take a cheap shot anytime.

Awwww....not my fault you don't qualify your own statements. This is what I get paid to do, so its more of a natural thing now than anything else. Great skill though to have.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 09:27 AM
You shouldn't have had to qualify your statement Jan it is football talk. It was obvious to anyone that your aging scenario was talking about players in the twilight and not in their introductory phases of their careers.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
You shouldn't have had to qualify your statement Jan it is football talk. It was obvious to anyone that your aging scenario was talking about players in the twilight and not in their introductory phases of their careers.

So football topic can be void of reason, logic, parameters, and filled with assumptions...well this board makes a lot more sense now then doesn't it...

Its really not a big deal, and there is no real need for all the dramatics. I did the same thing in the page prior and got called on it. I responded with touche because he got me and moved on. Some people just dont like getting called out when they incorrectly state what they are trying to say. It happens, deal with it, or dont post. No need to be all huffy about it.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Go outside and get some air DB. You are getting pretty stuffy over there.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Go outside and get some air DB. You are getting pretty stuffy over there.

I am already outside, Im waiting on MARTA to get here. But what the heck are you talking about?

historypete
08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I think it is a ballsy move but it will cost them more then a 4th round pick. There are salary cap repercussions from this as well. The Jets were close to the salary cap and now will have to re-do contracts and cut players to make everything work. By re-doing some contracts it can really come back to hurt them down the road because they will not have as much money to re-sign some of their own players.

I know the pick is conditional, but for the price it is a great move for them. They might have to rework contracts and figure out the cap ramifications, but they must have thought about that before pulling the trigger on this deal. It is not like they made this decision in a 24 hour window, this has been a possbility for 2-3 weeks now.

I hope for our sake this falls apart and Favre flops with the Jets. At least, as a result, we'll be getting some additional national press coverage when we play the Jets.

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
jesus christ patmoran which building are you gonna jump off? farve makes the jets better maybe in week 6 not september. and it doesn't make us long shots. dude u need to chill the hell our
HE make them better tommorow.

And we dont play them til week 9.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I am already outside, Im waiting on MARTA to get here. But what the heck are you talking about?
Name dropping MARTA thinking we will ask who she is.... :shakeno:

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Name dropping MARTA thinking we will ask who she is.... :shakeno:

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Who the hell would ever name their kid MARTA? Also why would I put a name of somebody all in caps?

Im taking the train to the Capitol building, its the easiest/most efficient way for me to get there and allows me to use my laptop as I wait, or in this case now as I ride on the train.

Bill Brasky
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
So football topic can be void of reason, logic, parameters, and filled with assumptions...well this board makes a lot more sense now then doesn't it...

Its really not a big deal, and there is no real need for all the dramatics. I did the same thing in the page prior and got called on it. I responded with touche because he got me and moved on. Some people just dont like getting called out when they incorrectly state what they are trying to say. It happens, deal with it, or dont post. No need to be all huffy about it.

or perhaps people just want to talk football without being nagged about their vernacular.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:45 AM
or perhaps people just want to talk football without being nagged about their vernacular.

Well we have a twilight zone for that.

THATHURMANATOR
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Marta

THATHURMANATOR
Well we have a twilight zone for that.
Bull**** if we started football threads there they would be moved.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Bull**** if we started football threads there they would be moved.

I was just talking about unintelligent threads

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Marta

I think the chart says it all....

Bill Brasky
08-07-2008, 09:48 AM
look at this madness at brettfavrebonermadness.com formerly known as espn.com:

• Brett's a Jet ... Paolantonio | Mortensen | Jets GM explains deal
• NYC radio http://assets.espn.go.com/i/espnradio/05/listen.gif http://assets.espn.go.com/i/ls.gif | Analysis: Schlereth | Young | Carter
• Clayton: Favre lost ... Here's why | Blogs: NFC North | AFC East
• Scouts Inc.: Jets a contender http://assets.espn.go.com/i/in.gif | Vote: Favre saga | Fantasy spin

Voltron
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Got to give the Jets credit on this one, they have taken their biggest hole and question mark on their team and turned it into a strength in one day. That in itself puts the Jets up another notch. They are not ready to go into <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">New England</st1:place> and walk out with a win but they sure are making a lot of the right moves to have a better than average chance to pull out that win.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I think the chart says it all....
You are right the chart states that no one has named their Child MARTA in the last 30 years.....

Iehoshua
08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7IiKax--Bcs/RfcA-ZOVtVI/AAAAAAAAABk/eHeywOQJwnU/favre.jpg

I'm terrified!

Voltron
08-07-2008, 10:05 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7IiKax--Bcs/RfcA-ZOVtVI/AAAAAAAAABk/eHeywOQJwnU/favre.jpg

I'm terrified!

:scared: :eek:

PromoTheRobot
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Don't worry Pat. We'll save every word and make you eat them at the end of the season. Or are you working on a list of excuses now when things don't work out the way you predict?

PTR

patmoran2006
08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I havent predicted anything yet.

Bling
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM

No, he just thinks he's immune to criticism. Some of you shouldn't be talking on a message board, if you don't think someone is going to critique it. Sheesh...

CuseJetsFan83
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
lets put it this way..... at least now that it looks like the jets are turning into the mets and trying to buy a team, it puts a huge bullseye on our chest and all that shenanigans....

im just excited that i can look forward to the first few games and have a glimmer of hope of the playoffs

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
No, he just thinks he's immune to criticism. Some of you shouldn't be talking on a message board, if you don't think someone is going to critique it. Sheesh...
What horse ****. Everyone can be criticised.

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
What horse ****. Everyone can be criticised.

Excuse me? Everyone?

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Excuse me? Everyone?
Who can't?

Dr. Lecter
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Besides me?

Log.

DraftBoy
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Besides me?

Pfft!

The infallible one here...

hydro
08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Awwww....not my fault you don't qualify your own statements. This is what I get paid to do, so its more of a natural thing now than anything else. Great skill though to have.

Now I understand why there can be some ill will towards you here. I understand this is something that is very useful in some professions but certainly not a football message board. If you actually put time into correcting everyone on this board you would have a full time job on your hands.

Novacane
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
7 pages of whining crying doom and gloom :rolleyes: The Bills may as well not even bother to show up to play the Jets now.

Ickybaluky
08-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Here are some Favre stats to chew on, borrowed from another site:

- Over the last five seasons, Favre has thrown 100 interceptions.
- Adding in fumbles, Favre has turned the ball over 127 times in that span.
- In the last three seasons, Favre has 67 total TD and 81 turnovers.
- In the last four seasons that Green Bay had a home playoff game, Favre and the Packers lost three times.
- In the last nine playoff games, Favre's QB rating has been under 83 nine times.
- Favre has 14 TD and 16 INT in playoff games this millenium.

I love Brett, and he will give the Jets better play at QB. They will be a better team. But, a Super Bowl contender? Not unless a whole lot of other things go right. This isn't the 3-Time-MVP Favre the Jets are getting. Not even close. This isn't the Brett who can carry a team.

Pat is over-reacting. The Jets are a classic IF team:

IF the OL gels and plays well...
IF Favre can quickly get up to speed on their scheme...
IF their defense quickly implements all the new bodies...
IF their coaching staff does a better job of getting consistent effort out of the team...
IF, IF, IF...

Let's not get carried away here.

Typ0
08-07-2008, 10:37 PM
One has to think this move has at least two or maybe three years with Favre playing attached to it somehow. this whole situation is difficult to make sense of. I wonder how Favre is going to do with the New York media. I bet he was about to be benched in GB.

Historian
08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Here are some Favre stats to chew on, borrowed from another site:

Here's my favorite one:

Brett Favre at RWS:

0-3

1994: L Packers 20 Bills 29
2000: L Packers 18 Bills 27
2006: L Packers 10 Bills 24

And to tell the truth, he didn't look like a world beater in any of those games.

In fact, if you throw in the fact that we won in Milwaukee in 1991, that leaves two wins against four losses to the Bills.

Big whop.

Fact is, that this is an aging star, with diminished skills who's letting his ego get the best of him.

But hey, the Jets will sell a couple tickets, right?

:rolleyes:

Night Train
08-08-2008, 12:50 PM
2006: L Packers 10 Bills 24

Favre throws a ball right into the hands of Fletcher, who returns it 17 yards for a TD. Then he has it 1st and goal at the 1 but throws it right to Nate Clements who runs it back some 60 yards before being dragged down. We score a couple plays later on a J.P. to Evans 43 yard strike & it's game over.

We gladly point out Jaurons fluke 13-3 season with the Bears. Anyone think last year was a similar year for the average Packers ? Down division and a ton of breaks.

Night Train
09-15-2008, 06:45 AM
The Brett Favre Jets had a home game yesterday against the Cassel led Pats. How did that turn out again ? Epic FAIL !

The balance of power hasn't shifted at all. The Pats are still the team to beat and we may be the only team that has a small shot at doing that.

It certainly not the Brett Favre Jets.

Patrick76777
09-15-2008, 08:43 AM
The Brett Favre Jets had a home game yesterday against the Cassel led Pats. How did that turn out again ? Epic FAIL !

The balance of power hasn't shifted at all. The Pats are still the team to beat and we may be the only team that has a small shot at doing that.

It certainly not the Brett Favre Jets.

The Pats looked TERRIBLE! GO BILLS!!!!

Michael82
09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
The Pats looked TERRIBLE! GO BILLS!!!!
Both teams looked pretty average yesterday. This division is ours for the taking. We just have to want it. :up:

Night Train
09-23-2008, 04:29 AM
Good point, he can't be Dilfer like but even Farve's worst year (06, and 05) are still better than the Clemens, Pennington team. So even if he is as bad as he was then, I still think the Jets are better than us. They have more weapons, and a better D.

Hows that working out so far ?

patmoran2006
09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
A lot of football left, boys

PromoTheRobot
09-23-2008, 05:27 PM
A lot of football left, boys
More time for folks to forget all your predictions of doom.

PTR

Night Train
10-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Gee.. What happened ? The sky didn't fall.