PDA

View Full Version : Bretts poison pill!

X-Era
08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
The Pack wrote into the trade that if the Jets traded him to the NFC North they had to give the Pack 3 1st rounders.

But what prevents the Vikings from trading the Jets a player and pick or whatever for nothing, and then the Jets from releasing Favre who would pretty much definetely sign with the Vikes?

Seems slimy, but the Vikes move to get Hutch was pretty slimy too.

RockStar36
08-07-2008, 04:02 PM
If the Vikings wanted him that bad then I'm sure the Packers will be happy with all those picks. Seriously, why is everyone blinded by the one good season last year and the years of crap before them?

trapezeus
08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
nothing, but why would another team take the risk of being the middle man without a clause linking the three together. once that clause that goes in there to link the 3 team deal, the poison pill would go into effect. i'd be stunned if the trade didn't cover that easy loophole.

Also the jets released pennington. they're keeping favre.

X-Era
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
If the Vikings wanted him that bad then I'm sure the Packers will be happy with all those picks. Seriously, why is everyone blinded by the one good season last year and the years of crap before them?

No no, you missed it.

The Vikes trade a player and/or picks to the Jets, the Jets then release Favre who will most assuredly then sign with the Vikes. Technically, the Jets didnt trade Favre to anyone and they dont have to give the Pack squat.

X-Era
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
nothing, but why would another team take the risk of being the middle man without a clause linking the three together. once that clause that goes in there to link the 3 team deal, the poison pill would go into effect. i'd be stunned if the trade didn't cover that easy loophole.

Also the jets released pennington. they're keeping favre.

They clearly want him, I just wonder if it could be done.

trapezeus
08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
maybe in the scenario you could do it, but i'm sure the packers would run to goodell again. and the vikings would be playing with some fire. Anyone could pick up favre at that point and hold him until the vikings signed another deal. I'm not sure how waivers work in that sense.

Ebenezer
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
AMEN

Ebenezer
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
The Pack wrote into the trade that if the Jets traded him to the NFC North they had to give the Pack 3 1st rounders.

But what prevents the Vikings from trading the Jets a player and pick or whatever for nothing, and then the Jets from releasing Favre who would pretty much definetely sign with the Vikes?

A little thing called waivers. About 20 NFL teams would get first crack.

X-Era
08-07-2008, 04:11 PM
A little thing called waivers. About 20 NFL teams would get first crack.

And Brett could and would turn most if not all down. Besides, there are only maybe a half dozen that would really go after him.

Ebenezer
08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
And Brett could and would turn most if not all down. Besides, there are only maybe a half dozen that would really go after him.
I don't believe you can "turn down" waivers. What would be the point of a waiver system?

X-Era
08-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't believe you can "turn down" waivers. What would be the point of a waiver system?

????

Im admitting stupidity I guess.

I thought it merely meant that the lower ranked teams got the first shot. They still have to sign contracts and the player still has to agree to do that.

Waivers are usually used for players who have little to no reason to turn any offer down.

I cant believe that the players have no choice.

Ebenezer
08-07-2008, 04:21 PM
????

Im admitting stupidity I guess.

I thought it merely meant that the lower ranked teams got the first shot. They still have to sign contracts and the player still has to agree to do that.

Waivers are usually used for players who have little to no reason to turn any offer down.

I cant believe that the players have no choice.
I am not sure. Yes, lower teams get first choice. If you are "claimed" that would tell me that you play for your current contract with that new team.

trapezeus
08-07-2008, 04:24 PM
i don't know the specifics of waivers, but i believe you get the players rights if you get them off waivers. You'd have to let them go for another team to get a shot at that player. if the player is unhappy with their contract, it'd be a peters situation. It would be worth it as a team with no need for favre to get him to see what the vikings would give you. and if they won't cave, then just release him befor eyou have to pay him his full salary.

Ebenezer
08-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I am not sure. Yes, lower teams get first choice. If you are "claimed" that would tell me that you play for your current contract with that new team.
and I know Pete Rosell was trying to change some of the rules for vested veterans but I am not sure if they ever went through.

superbills
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Brett would have to play for any team that claimed him off of waivers. However, he could simply retire again rather than play somewhere he doesn't want to be.

It's reminiscent of the the old Dominik Hasek scenario. The Sabres had to trade him to the Red Wings for Kozlov and a bag of pucks or risk him simply retiring and getting nothing for him in return. If they would have tried to get too much from the team he traded him to, he warned that he would retire again, thus voiding the trade. I suppose that the Pack were content to let Brett slip into retirement anyway, but this whole mess also means that the proposed scenario would not work.

coastal
08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Im admitting stupidity.only sensible thing in this thread.

yordad
08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Test that guy for HGH right now!

HughC
08-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I was under the impression that players that are cut with more than four years service do not go through waivers (except after the trading deadline), and become free agents right away. I thought waivers was just for players with less than four years of service in the NFL. So if the Jets, Bills and Favre did want to work out that kind of a deal, they probably could. However, as mentioned before, (a) Goodell would probably step in, and (b) I can't imagine the Jets would trade Favre at this point.

http://www.nflplayers.com/user/template.aspx?fmid=181&lmid=231&pid=548&type=c

gil
08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
why is this in the bills zone?

TigerJ
08-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't think this is a big issue. I can't see the Jets swinging the trade just so they could put Favre in the hands of the Vikings. Whether they are right or wrong, they thought Favre is better than what they had a QB, and may think they are close enough to being a good team that Favre might be the difference in making the playoffs. Once this season is over all bets are off. Favre could decide to retire for real or he could do what he pulled this year. In any case, it would be tough to view the trade for Favre as a long term solution at QB for the Jets.