Is Green Bay Now More Susceptible to Being Moved To Toronto Than Buffalo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Is Green Bay Now More Susceptible to Being Moved To Toronto Than Buffalo?

So I was thinking about this...Green Bay and Buffalo are two of the smallest market teams in the NFL. If Green Bay flounders without Favre, and Buffalo plays well, do the Packers then look more attractive to the league to eventually move that franchise rather than Buffalo?

There is no more Favre there, not like there is a big name in Buffalo...yet (maybe Lynch, Poz, or Edwards someday will be?)...but I think appeal and sexiness of Green Bay left when Favre left.
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Is Green Bay Now More Susceptible to Being Moved To Toronto Than Buffalo?

The Packers are community-owned. They will never move.

And they grandfathered-in after the NFL no longer allowed that type of ownership.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

Packers shareholders could just "collude" and make their share price so prohibitively high that it would be dead from the get go.

Bills just have one guy to satiate. and once he's gone, it's his greedy wife and offspring who will agree to anything north of $850MM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        • Apr 2008

Packers are one team that will never move.

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by raphael120
          So I was thinking about this...Green Bay and Buffalo are two of the smallest market teams in the NFL. If Green Bay flounders without Favre, and Buffalo plays well, do the Packers then look more attractive to the league to eventually move that franchise rather than Buffalo?

There is no more Favre there, not like there is a big name in Buffalo...yet (maybe Lynch, Poz, or Edwards someday will be?)...but I think appeal and sexiness of Green Bay left when Favre left.
          No. There is a 0% chance Green Bay is moved due to the community ownership of the franchise.

Comment

• raphael120
            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
            • Oct 2005

Ok then, lets all kidnap Ralph and force him to sell the team to all season ticketholders.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

I think you may have worded it wrong, but Green Bay moving to Toronto with the Bills remaining here makes no sense. You must have ment moving in general.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

When the world ends, Green Bay will move.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                  Packers shareholders could just "collude" and make their share price so prohibitively high that it would be dead from the get go.

Bills just have one guy to satiate. and once he's gone, it's his greedy wife and offspring who will agree to anything north of $850MM.
                  I predicted three years ago.....try $1 Billion.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• DrGraves
                    • Mar 2008

spam

Comment

• Bert102176
                      • Aug 2002

The Pack will stand pat in GB for eternity cause of the community owning them
                      lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by raphael120
                        Ok then, lets all kidnap Ralph and force him to sell the team to all season ticketholders.
                        Just force him to sell it to Jim Kelly cheap!

The community cannot buy the team. It is against league policy now.

But seriously, Jim Kelly is a competitor. Don't rule him out. And, he (et al) would be the best case scenario.

I think the Bills fans should straight up boycott that game. I think if you love them, and you want to keep them, you shouldn't go to it. If they deem Buffalo would just travel there so they have nothing to lose, they will make us travel there all the time. Trying to capitalize on a foreign market like that could feel risky if you believe you will lose the market you have now.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

I don't think any of the original teams left will change venues again but that's obviously a guess.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Green Bay is among the top revenue-producers in the NFL. I don't care about market size, they are making plenty of money. They are a team with a national following.

Green Bay has done a great job of producing extra revenue streams. A few years ago they got a major renovation of Lambeau Field which increased game revenues a great deal. They built a Packer HOF/Mall/Shopping area that has turned the facility into a year-round draw. They have really done a great job drawing corporate and function business to their facility.

They are no threat to move, they are one of the NFL's leaders when it comes to a revenue model.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                              Green Bay is among the top revenue-producers in the NFL. I don't care about market size, they are making plenty of money. They are a team with a national following.

Green Bay has done a great job of producing extra revenue streams. A few years ago they got a major renovation of Lambeau Field which increased game revenues a great deal. They built a Packer HOF/Mall/Shopping area that has turned the facility into a year-round draw. They have really done a great job drawing corporate and function business to their facility.

They are no threat to move, they are one of the NFL's leaders when it comes to a revenue model.
                              what if the revenue model changes though? Let's say it becomes every team is going to play two home games in a foreign country? The league needs somewhere to grow too or it will just decline. The packers would then become a top revenue producer in one of those countries. It's quite interesting if you think about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X