PDA

View Full Version : My Report From Last Night

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry this is day late. I was hoping to get this done late last night or early this morning, but I simply didn’t have the time. Also know that I was not tuned into every facet of practice last night. I paid attention to as much as I could, but I was there for a specific assignment. I’m doing a piece on Brad Butler that if all goes well, will be on the Fox Sports NFL page next Tuesday or Wednesday. I spent a lot of time trying to get interviews through Matt Heidt and Chris Jenkins (Media Relations). Also, some stuff has already been covered I’m sure by now elsewhere.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
But here are some observations in total random order:
<o:p> </o:p>

I’ll start with something I’m sure will come across as unpopular, but also keep in mind I’ve only actually seen with my own eyes three practices. But as of now, I am not very high on this year’s rookie draft class. Maybe it’s because last year we were spoiled to see Lynch and Poz start from week one, and Edwards crack the lineup in the first month. But from the looks of things and people I’ve talked to, I really don’t expect this class to contribute a lot at all this year.<o:p> </o:p>

James Hardy is a guy that I am guaranteeing you right now before the first preseason game, will drive a lot of you guys insane. It is like he is two total different football players. The one player is big, strong and deceptively fast. He also has hands softer than a pillow. The other guy can’t get off the line of scrimmage, is a horrible (yes, I said horrible not just bad) route runner and drops a lot of catchable passes. He looks like a guy to me right now that’s going to have weeks where he seem unstoppable, and then games where you’re going to want to kill the guy. I’m sure that comes with being a rookie in the league. I don’t even have a former Bill I can compare him too this early, because I’ve yet to see a guy who looks more nite and day. For example, one play on a pass I believe Baker through to him on the sideline, Hardy looked like Terrell Owens; he caught the ball and put a spin move to the left on Terrence McGee so quickly and got up the sideline it was amazing. But on another drill, he got behind Leodis McKelvin and simply dropped a ball that was an easy catch. I overheard Paul Hamilton from WGR tell a reporter from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Niagara Falls</st1:place></st1:City> that Hardy reminded him of T.O. I totally disagree. Owens is a far better route runner. How good this guy becomes depends on how hard he’s willing to work (and to his credit, he looks like he’s willing to bust his ass). He’s very talented, but he’s very raw; much more wet under the ears than I expected. Provided Josh Reed gets healthy, I think he’ll be eased onto the field very slowly. If anyone is expecting 50 catches for 700 yards and 9 TD’s this year; you’re probably going to be disappointed.<o:p> </o:p>

Leodis McKelvin is coming along very slowly, and let me tell you just because he’s a high draft pick doesn’t mean the team takes it easy on him.. Fewell ripped him a new ass on more than occasion. Everyone expects him to be the nickel back to start and eventually take over for Greer, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I think he’s going to be the fourth corner behind Will James, at least for a while. He’s got a lot to learn and a long way to go. Physically he’s got the goods; he’s fast as hell and he really knows how to make a break on the ball. But he looks very amateurish at times understanding defensive calls and assignments; much more than I’ve seen with other rookies, including another rookie corner, Reggie Corner. I’m not a college expert by any means nor do I claim to be; but I personally liked Dominique Rodgers Cromartie better coming into this draft; and I have a feeling he’ll be the first to make an impact (Plus he plays with a ****ty Cardinals team). Unless he really steps it up over the next month, I wouldn’t expect to see much of him at on the field barring injury for the first half of the season. He won’t be this year’s Darrelle Reevis. However, take note that corner isn’t an easy position to learn, and very few rookie corners become stars in their first season. I hope people have realistic expectations for him, 11<SUP>th</SUP> overall pick or not.<o:p> </o:p>

I don’t know much about Greg Ellis at all, and I haven’t watched him much specifically. So with him on going on the word of somebody else. He’s starting to look better in practice, but if the season started tomorrow he wouldn’t even be the fourth defensive end on the field. I’m being told that when Kelsay and Schobel come out for a blow, Ryan Denney and Spencer Johnson are usually taking the reps at DE with the first team. However, this kid does have great athletic skill and will get better. Apparently defensive line coach Bill Kollar has been riding his ass hard and has high hopes for him.<o:p> </o:p>

Reggie Corner and Derek Fine are two guys I haven’t seen much and still haven’t gotten a chance to. Fine looks like a lock to make the team as the third tight end behind Royal and Schouman, while Corner will be in a battle with Ashton Youboty for the fifth and final cornerback spot, unless the team decides to keep six corners (a real possibility).<o:p> </o:p>

I LOVE Steven Johnson. Call me crazy, but I think right now he’s the single-most impressive rookie on this roster. Forget that “5<SUP>th</SUP> WR” label; this guy barring a choke job in the preseason is making this team and he’ll get chances to play as well. I’ll even put myself out there and say he has a chance to be one of the biggest steals of the entire draft, out of all 32 teams.<o:p> </o:p>

I didn’t get to see any of Omon two of the three times I’ve been around, but I’ve seen enough of Dwayne Wright to tell you his ass is getting cut and that was a horrible draft pick by whoever made that call a year ago. So in general with the rookies, you’re not getting instant impact like last year. The good news is this team is deeper than before, so it’s not automatically necessary. Hardy’s time may be accelerated by Reed’s injury. I think McKelvin will be brought along slowly, and Ellis even slower than that.<o:p> </o:p>
Onto a few other random things.

I really like K. Mitchell. You can just smell leadership when he’s on the field. He has the total respect of his teammates. Usually vets don’t get excited over preseason games, but I heard this guy speak after practice and I swear to God he sounded like he’s about to play in the Super Bowl.<o:p> </o:p>

Coach Sal (who I looked for in the media area and couldn’t find- found out later he wasn’t there on Thursday) wrote about Roscoe Parrish and I agree with him. I think he’s the most impressive player on the roster right now at practice. He’s even faster than you think and his route running has been perfect. <st1:City><st1:place>Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> needs to find a way to get this guy the ball five times a game this year.<o:p> </o:p>

I got a chance to talk very briefly with Matt Sheldon (linebacker coach) and I asked about Angelo Crowell. As everybody knows by now, he’s out for Saturday’s game. There is a lot of concern being expressed that his swollen knee can be a problem for far beyond this week. They are going to be extraordinarily cautious when it comes to him.<o:p> </o:p>

I kept an eye on Brad Butler as I’m doing a piece on him, and he looked pretty good at right guard. He has a swagger to him he didn’t seem to have last year; maybe it was the contract extension. He interned in <st1:State><st1:place>Washington</st1:place></st1:State> under Jack Kemp this offseason; I never knew that. He wants to be in politics when his playing days are over.<o:p> </o:p>

I’m not going to harp on Jason Peters because I do in every other thread. Let’s just leave it at we really need him on this team. I do not, and I mean, really do not like Langston Walker at left tackle. My opinion wouldn’t mean ****, however, Langston doesn’t like Langston Walker at left tackle. He looks so un-natural there it’s almost indescribable. If they must truck on without Peters, I’d leave <st1:City><st1:place>Walker</st1:place></st1:City> on the right, so that at least one of our two tackles spots are decent. Chambers in my opinion isn’t good enough in anyway to be a NFL starter.<o:p> </o:p>

I paid little attention to quarterbacking, except to notice JP Losman may never shave again. I’m telling you, and of course it’s a practice and it wasn’t even an intense one at that; but this Baker kid can chuck the ball all over the place. I don’t think <st1:City><st1:place>Hamden</st1:place></st1:City> will stick as the third quarterback. He’s a guy (Baker) I’m actually stoked to see step on the field Saturday night.<o:p> </o:p>

I really with Chris Brown didn’t work for the Bills. Without him saying it, you can just tell that he wishes he could cover some stories from a different angle. I used to sit with him in 2002-03 in the box covering Bills game when he was with Empire Sports Network and I was with a little ****ty rag he probably didn’t even hear of, and I’m telling you when he’s free to report with ZERO bias, he’s one of the best reporters in the business. I’m sure he’s compensated well, but I’d bet sometimes he wishes he worked for a non-affiliated outlet. I’d bet some of his material would be a bit different.<o:p> </o:p>

If you don’t like Paul Hamilton on WGR; get used to him. He’s the beat reporter for the Bills this year for WGR. To his credit, he’s at all the practice and has more contacts than most reporters (trust me on that). A lot of people don’t like him and he’s very easy not to like. He’s smug, sometimes inconsiderate with other media people (trust me on that again) and borderline arrogant, but like it or not he’s one of the most honest reporters I’ve seen. If he says something, he means what he says.<o:p> </o:p>

Running backs coach Eric Studesville told me the only running back he sees that hits a hole like Marshawn Lynch is Marion Barber. He also said Lynch and Adrain Peterson have the ability to be debated like a lot of people did with Emmit Smith vs Barry Sanders.<o:p> </o:p>

Lastly, I really wanted to see how Stroud looked but I didn’t really get a chance. I was busy working on other things. I still haven’t really seen him at all, but I’m told by basically everybody he’s going to be huge difference maker—not like that is any kind of revelation.<o:p> </o:p>
To summarize what I’ve seen so far. The defense doesn’t just look a lot quicker. With Stroud, Mitchell and Poz back, they look a lot more physical. I think people are really going to like this defense.
I wish I could say the same for the offense, but I can’t. All this negative talk about Edwards is puzzling to me. I think he’s looked pretty good, and he’s still growing and learning. But what I don’t like is it seems even in camp they are dumping the ball off a lot (Btw,I forgot to say this, but look for <st1:City><st1:place>Jackson</st1:place></st1:City> to get a lot of catches this year). I love Lynch, but I’m not loving much else about this offense. I still don’t like the tight ends. I’m not sold on any of the wide receivers taking heat off Evans. Hardy is absolutely a project in work, a lot of work. We’ve been saying for years Parrish needs the ball more, yet we haven’t done it. I’m not a big Reed guy and his back could be a concern. I’m telling you though, I really like Johnson.
Most importantly, this offensive line is a mess right now. The ONLY lineman I like coming off the bench with any type of certainty is Jason Whittle. I don’t care how its done, they need Peters back in this lineup. <st1:City><st1:place>Walker</st1:place></st1:City> belongs on the right side. I know it, you know it, and even he knows it. I see a team that contend with Peters and some balls from Turk Schonert. Without him, sorry, I don’t see this offense doing much.

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 05:39 PM
One more thing.. Darian Barnes is a ****ing LEGEND in my book right now.. He got asked about bret favre and I don't remember his exact quote, but to paraphrase he said "I could care less. I couldn't possibly care any less than I do."

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
One more thing.. John McCargo looks like the most poorly conditioned DT in the entire NFL. I cant remember seeing a linemen who sucks wind more than he does.. But the funny thing is, he blows up plays at the line as much as anybody on the team, including Stroud.

I think his role stays the same. I dont think he's conditioned enough to be an everydown starter.. He'll get limited time and hopefully make plays during it.

He's starting to look like a deplorable first round draft pick, one we traded up to get as well. Unless you consider part time/rotational players good first rounders.

yordad
08-08-2008, 06:13 PM
What makes you think Johnson will be the steal of the draft?

I thought baker was injured?

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 06:16 PM
What makes you think Johnson will be the steal of the draft?

I thought baker was injured?
Baker was on the field Thursday.. You're thinking of WEd he had a groin tweak I believe (wasnt there Wed)

I just like Johnson. He seems to have a little bit of everything.. he catches freegin everything.

Speaking of the two, Baker hit Johnson on a nice pass after beating Dustin Fox, who is probably going to be looking for a gig soon.

Scumbag College
08-08-2008, 07:29 PM
One more thing.. John McCargo looks like the most poorly conditioned DT in the entire NFL. I cant remember seeing a linemen who sucks wind more than he does.. But the funny thing is, he blows up plays at the line as much as anybody on the team, including Stroud.

I think his role stays the same. I dont think he's conditioned enough to be an everydown starter.. He'll get limited time and hopefully make plays during it.

He's starting to look like a deplorable first round draft pick, one we traded up to get as well. Unless you consider part time/rotational players good first rounders.

I finally like the entire DT corps of this team. Spencer Johnson was a total "under the radar" FA signing, I like the quick, explosive part of his game. Stroud is going to be great if he can hold up. I've been a big fan of Kyle Williams since he was drafted and like what he can bring as the fourth DT.

With McCargo, I rather have him on the field on half of the defensive plays blowing up plays in the backfield than in on three quarters of the plays and making a few plays here and there. The Bills finally have the luxury of rotating in all four DTs and not losing too much.

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I think McCargo will be exceptional if he's only a part time player.

I know that sounds crazy; but my point is he blows up the spot when he's fresh.. The problem is he doesnt stay fresh long enough.

Scumbag College
08-08-2008, 07:36 PM

I know that sounds crazy; but my point is he blows up the spot when he's fresh.. The problem is he doesnt stay fresh long enough.

I agree. I think he saw alot of flashes last year from McCargo and he has the ability of a first round pick. But, with his foot problems it's tough to work on conditioning and doing the cardio required to do so. There's still a month left before the season, and conditioning can be worked on in that time.

hydro
08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Chris Ellis not Greg Ellis :up:

Nice in depth report though!

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Chris Ellis not Greg Ellis :up:

Nice in depth report though!
Yipes.. Good catch my man.

Who the F is Greg Ellis?

don137
08-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Good information Pat...I know it is too early to really get a good read on the draft class from this year but Bill Walsh always looked for football players that did not necessarily have to contribute as a rookie but were football players that would make a strong impact impact as a player in the long run not for a strong impact as a rookie. Hopefully players like McKelvin, Hardy, Fine, etc are those type of players even thought we do need some impact from them as rookies.

The Spaz
08-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought you said earlier you were there to cover Josh Reed?

ScottLawrence
08-08-2008, 09:12 PM

So you're saying hes out of shape?

I'm sure his conditioning and stamina will improve drastically as the season goes on.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I would have to say I agree about James Hardy from what I saw Wednesday night. In the red zone drill he was just what we needed. In 11 on 11 he had the dropsies. The only thing I don't agree with is that he can't get off the line. I thought he was fine at that.

McKelvin looked at least decent to me Wednesday. He caused two fumbles and was in pretty good position all day.

McCargo does look heavier this year, and I thought he got manhandled when I went.

Overall I agree that the D will be nasty and the O has the potential but maybe not.

Nighthawk
08-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Yipes.. Good catch my man.

Who the F is Greg Ellis?

Plays for the Cowboys!

http://www.nfl.com/players/gregellis/profile?id=ELL500479

Confused
08-08-2008, 09:34 PM
If our D is nasty, thats all the more chances for Parrish to bring one back.

HHURRICANE
08-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Pat, awesome, awesome, reporting!!!
:band:

patmoran2006
08-09-2008, 01:21 AM
I thought you said earlier you were there to cover Josh Reed?
i was.. Didnt know he was not only out, but not even in the facility, so shifted gears to gather stuff for a Brad Butler peice.