PDA

View Full Version : A Realistic Post I Saw Elsewhere Tonight

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 08:21 PM
out of pure boredom, I visited a couple of other Bills sites this evening. I rarely visit anywhere besides here.. But on a Friday night there's usually a lack of posting, and I'm pretty f'n bored right now.

So I was on Bills.com and their message board, and I saw a post that I actually think is very realistic and most likely, accurate. I have no clue who the dude is that posted it.. In fact, it was a response to someone else's post.

Here is the post.. Tell me how close or how far off y ou think he or she is.. It sounds accurate to me.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1179368 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>Sampten (http://boards.buffalobills.com/member.php?u=20700) http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1179368", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Nov 2005
http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/misc/im_aim.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=1179252#) http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/misc/im_msn.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=1179252#)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1179368><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/icons/icon1.gif
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Yeah, well a lot of fans don't realize we have one of the worst game day coaches in Dick Jauron. Mark my words, he will cost us at LEAST 2 games this season.

I still see us as an up and coming team that isn't ready for the playoffs this season. The offense is going to be very bad, and the Defense will improve, but will not be able to make up for the lack of points this team will score.

One more year, and Trent Edwards maturing into a good solid QB, Hardy learning the ropes of the NFL, and a year of consistancy, will propel this team to the playoffs in 09-10.

Not in 08-09
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I have to agree on every count.

I think Jauron is a great coach on Mon-Sat and horrible on Sundays.

I think the offense is bad, and its pitiful if we dont have our franchise LT.

I think the defense is going to be very good.

And I like Trent Edwards, but I think he needs a full year of starting, and another talented player or two around him offensively.

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Will the defense be better than last year? Yes. Should the Bills be healthier than last year? I'd say yes. Will the offense be better than last year, even if just a little? Yes. Will the ST's still be good? Yes. Given all that, and that the Bills went 7-9 with a harder schedule, I wouldn't say that the playoffs aren't realistic this coming season.

patmoran2006
08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Will the defense be better than last year? Yes. Should the Bills be healthier than last year? I'd say yes. Will the offense be better than last year, even if just a little? Yes. Will the ST's still be good? Yes. Given all that, and that the Bills went 7-9 with a harder schedule, I wouldn't say that the playoffs aren't realistic this coming season. People who look at our schedule right now and think its easy I feel are going to be in a for surprise.

Not saying we cant win the games, I'm saying we have tougher games than people think.. I'll bet both Arizona and the Rams are improved this year, and those are both road games.

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
People who look at our schedule right now and think its easy I feel are going to be in a for surprise.

Not saying we cant win the games, I'm saying we have tougher games than people think.. I'll bet both Arizona and the Rams are improved this year, and those are both road games.
Arizona maybe, Rams no.

TigerJ
08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't think Jauron is a particularly good game day coach, but I don't think it is a given that he'll cost the Bills 2 games. I think the playoffs is a possibiility in 2008-2009, but it became somewhat less of a possibility when Jason Peters decided to stage a hold out and them the Jets acquired Favre, and then Miami signed Pennington.

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think Jauron is a particularly good game day coach, but I don't think it is a given that he'll cost the Bills 2 games. I think the playoffs is a possibiility in 2008-2009, but it became somewhat less of a possibility when Jason Peters decided to stage a hold out and them the Jets acquired Favre, and then Miami signed Pennington.
Pennington to the Jets is a non-factor. He can't threaten a defense deep, and his WR's stink. The Bills should easily sweep the Dols this year.

OpIv37
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
that's pretty much exactly what I've been saying for months.

OpIv37
08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Pennington to the Jets is a non-factor. He can't threaten a defense deep, and his WR's stink. The Bills should easily sweep the Dols this year.

nope- we lose the Toronto game. Too much pressure. This team has yet to prove they can handle a pressure situation. See Cowboys, Browns and Patriots games from last year.

OpIv37
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Will the defense be better than last year? Yes. Should the Bills be healthier than last year? I'd say yes. Will the offense be better than last year, even if just a little? Yes. Will the ST's still be good? Yes. Given all that, and that the Bills went 7-9 with a harder schedule, I wouldn't say that the playoffs aren't realistic this coming season.

NONE of the health issues last year were on offense. A little better isn't nearly good enough. Our offense went from pathetic to just plain bad, and bad offenses ruin good defenses. Remember 2003 and 2004?

And without Peters, the offense is actually worse than last year.

Our ST has been amongst the best in the league for the last 5 years or so- where has it gotten us?

Duplicating 7-9 is realistic. Playoffs are not.

The Spaz
08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
People who look at our schedule right now and think its easy I feel are going to be in a for surprise.

Aren't you the same guy who said we make the playoffs?

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
nope- we lose the Toronto game. Too much pressure. This team has yet to prove they can handle a pressure situation. See Cowboys, Browns and Patriots games from last year.
No way they lose in Toronto.

X-Era
08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I have to agree on every count.

I think the offense is bad, and its pitiful if we dont have our franchise LT.

I think the defense is going to be very good.

And I like Trent Edwards, but I think he needs a full year of starting, and another talented player or two around him offensively.

Are you talking about the same guy who had a quarter of the starters leave due to injuries and still was playing meaningful games in Dec?

No, I cant call him a bad game day coach. Considering the lack of talent, I think he has done a fantastic job with what he has had.

He makes mistakes, the Denver and Dallas games lost at the last seconds were examples where I have to believe we could have managed the clock and won somehow.

I will fault him for that, but not for not getting more out of his team.

X-Era
08-08-2008, 11:09 PM

With Leinhart? Thats a win for us at this point. But hes getting better.

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
NONE of the health issues last year were on offense. A little better isn't nearly good enough. Our offense went from pathetic to just plain bad, and bad offenses ruin good defenses. Remember 2003 and 2004?

And without Peters, the offense is actually worse than last year.

Our ST has been amongst the best in the league for the last 5 years or so- where has it gotten us?

Duplicating 7-9 is realistic. Playoffs are not.
I'm assuming Peters plays the whole season. If not, all bets are off. If Peters plays, the Bills will be closer to, if not, a playoff team than 7-9.

TigerJ
08-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Pennington to the Jets is a non-factor. He can't threaten a defense deep, and his WR's stink. The Bills should easily sweep the Dols this year.I expect the Bills to sweep the Dolphins this year, but Pennington is a known commodity who will make Miami better than they would have been without him. He delivers the ball short with accuracy and won't make a lot of mistakes. If Buffalo sits back in a zone all day and can't get good pressure on him, he can still pick a team apart.

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I expect the Bills to sweep the Dolphins this year, but Pennington is a known commodity who will make Miami better than they would have been without him. He delivers the ball short with accuracy and won't make a lot of mistakes. If Buffalo sits back in a zone all day and can't get good pressure on him, he can still pick a team apart.
He doesn't have receivers even close to what he had with the Jets.

Mitchell55
08-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Arizona maybe, Rams no.

I think the Rams could go to the super bowl. They lost 90 percent of there starters last year, and the year before were a great team. They should be great team. Arizona hasnt changed a bit. The one thing we have to agree on is that the teams we play have not changed in the last 7 years. Its not like we are playing baltimore who just started to suck. We are playing teams who sucked the past 8 years.

Mitchell55
08-08-2008, 11:44 PM
He doesn't have receivers even close to what he had with the Jets.

I honestly cant remember 3 WRs from Miami. And I know football players as much as anybody.

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I think the Rams could go to the super bowl. They lost 90 percent of there starters last year, and the year before were a great team. They should be great team. Arizona hasnt changed a bit. The one thing we have to agree on is that the teams we play have not changed in the last 7 years. Its not like we are playing baltimore who just started to suck. We are playing teams who sucked the past 8 years.
Huh? The Rams since their 12-4 season in 2003 have gone 8-8, 6-10, 8-8, and 3-13. They've been on a steady decline.

Goobylal
08-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I honestly cant remember 3 WRs from Miami. And I know football players as much as anybody.
I can name 3: Ginn, Wilford, and Hagan. Ginn is just a fly-pattern WR, Wilford can't get separation and has been demoted to 2nd team, and Hagan drops too many passes. The Dols were sniffing around Terry Glenn, but apparently his knee is still aching. If it weren't for Brown and Williams, they'd have no offense at all.

Coach Sal
08-09-2008, 12:30 AM

When I was on WGR last fall I nicknamed the staff the "Monday through Saturday staff."

I'm going to use the name again Saturday on the air.

I'm trademarking it so you don't steal it from me. :D

Mitchell55
08-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Well if its Monday- Saturday, we should win tomarrow. And win vs Cleveland.

Al the Bills Fan
08-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Well if its Monday- Saturday, we should win tomarrow. And win vs Cleveland.

tomorrow

patmoran2006
08-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Aren't you the same guy who said we make the playoffs?
1- Have I said on the record yet that we are NOT going to make the playoffs? I also said that under the assumption our best and most valuable player would be in uniform.....

OpIv37
08-09-2008, 06:00 AM

Based on past performance, this team has yet to prove they can play even at their mediocre level when the pressure is on. Until they prove otherwise, I just can't see them winning this game.

I'm assuming Peters plays the whole season. If not, all bets are off. If Peters plays, the Bills will be closer to, if not, a playoff team than 7-9.

Agree on Peters, disagree on the record- but "closer to" a playoff team could mean 9-7 so we're not that far off.

mybills
08-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Here is the post.. Tell me how close or how far off y ou think he or she is.. It sounds accurate to me.

Yeah, well a lot of fans don't realize we have one of the worst game day coaches in Dick Jauron. Mark my words, he will cost us at LEAST 2 games this season.

I still see us as an up and coming team that isn't ready for the playoffs this season. The offense is going to be very bad, and the Defense will improve, but will not be able to make up for the lack of points this team will score.

One more year, and Trent Edwards maturing into a good solid QB, Hardy learning the ropes of the NFL, and a year of consistancy, will propel this team to the playoffs in 09-10.

Not in 08-09
I like Jauron. No coach is perfect. I don't think the offense is as bad as everyone says..Lynch is probably going to pull most of the weight, but if Peters is in, I don't see Trent getting sacked too many times. I trust Lee to grab several TD's, and Lindell & Mooreman are awesome, too. Our defense and special teams are enough to make opponents nervous coming into any single game. As for Trent, I agree that he needs time to mature..but having had how many QB's look hopeful then flop, is stuck in my head. It's a wait & see with him, like the others before him. But, anything can happen, so I won't count the playoff's out.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I think people are giving up on our offense way too fast. We're young, and there is a lot of uncertainty, but Edwards ought to be better in his second year, particularly with all of the starter's reps he's getting at camp.

Lynch, like Edwards, is no longer a rookie, and may be poised for a monster season, particularly with Darian Barnes opening holes for him. Schouman may give us a Chris Cooley-type TE, and Hardy - while raw - seems to be a better red zone option than anyone we had last year. Parrish is a potentially devestating weapon who has been underutilized, but may be ready for a breakout year.

And you have to like Turk as OC far better than Fairchild.

If Peters would just report, I'd be really upbeat about a significant offensive improvement over last year. If he sits, however, it will pretty much negate any of the gains we make elsewhere.

baalworship
08-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Most of the people who make statements about Jauron haven't watched other NFL games.

Does Dick Jauron make mistakes? Sure. But I see mistakes made all the time in regards to strategy with every NFL team. The fact is that most NFL coaches are risk-averse and would rather punt the ball and lose rather than going for the first down and the win.

Go to every team's message board and every fan with a keyboard thinks they are smarter than their head coach.

mybills
08-09-2008, 08:13 AM
And you have to like Turk as OC far better than Fairchild.

Thanks, that was the other point I forgot to make. Jauron took a lot of the blame for Fairchild's mistakes. And while technically he should (being the head coach) I think (defense minded) Jauron, learned from it.

OpIv37
08-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Most of the people who make statements about Jauron haven't watched other NFL games.

Does Dick Jauron make mistakes? Sure. But I see mistakes made all the time in regards to strategy with every NFL team. The fact is that most NFL coaches are risk-averse and would rather punt the ball and lose rather than going for the first down and the win.

Go to every team's message board and every fan with a keyboard thinks they are smarter than their head coach.

Jauron is beyond risk-adverse. He's far too conservative. And it's not about punting on 4th down. No one expects him to coach the Bills like Weiss coaches Notre Dame.

It's about the play-calling on 3rd down or taking knees with 1:20 and two timeouts left in the half or bull**** prevent defenses late in games- that kind of stuff.

And yes, other coaches make game day mistakes, but not with the consistency that Jauron does. And just because someone points out a head coach's mistake does not mean someone thinks they are smarter. For example, remember the play when Jauron wasted two time outs on the same play in the 3rd quarter on an ill-advised challenge? That was clearly a mistake and anyone with half a brain can see it. Title doesn't dictate competence- performance does. And Jauron's performance on game days has not been competent.

SABURZFAN
08-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I can name 3: Ginn, Wilford, and Hagan. Ginn is just a fly-pattern WR, Wilford can't get separation and has been demoted to 2nd team, and Hagan drops too many passes. The Dols were sniffing around Terry Glenn, but apparently his knee is still aching. If it weren't for Brown and Williams, they'd have no offense at all.

maybe their no-name offense will get it right and go 0-16 this year. :snicker:

patmoran2006
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM

I watch a ton of games.

I'm not saying Jauron is the worst coach ever. In fact, there aren't many coaches who are more respected. But I think he's a poor Sunday decision maker, and what I hate most about him is his road coaching; he coaches NOT to lose, rather than to win.

But I'll give him credit for this.. Given the makeup of this team we have right now, he is the right kind of coach for them.

imbondz
08-09-2008, 10:11 AM
was Juron going 13-3 just a fluke? He was a pretty good game day coach that season. If he has it in him once, he has it in him more.

when you have a good team, it's easier to make game day decisions. when you have a mediocre team, you have to improvise and take more chances. The jury is still out for me on whether he's a good coach or not. I'll give him 1-2 more seasons before I start despising him.

raphael120
08-09-2008, 11:39 AM

just like no way the Sabres lose in the Winter Classic, eh??

raphael120
08-09-2008, 11:43 AM
was Juron going 13-3 just a fluke? He was a pretty good game day coach that season. If he has it in him once, he has it in him more.

when you have a good team, it's easier to make game day decisions. when you have a mediocre team, you have to improvise and take more chances. The jury is still out for me on whether he's a good coach or not. I'll give him 1-2 more seasons before I start despising him.

when 13-3 your lone winning season out of, what, 6, it's a fluke, not the norm. Whats the saying? "Every blind squirrle eventually finds a nut"

Goobylal
08-09-2008, 12:12 PM
And the Dols have proven they can win a pressure game? Please.

And the game is at 4:05 PM on a Sunday. It's not a Sunday or Monday night game. How it is more pressure-filled for them?

baalworship
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
If Jauron automatically loses us 2 games because of game management, then how many games should Buffalo have won last year?

We had around 17 players on IR, a rookie QB, and a very young. inexperienced roster that had lost major key veterans from the year before. Is anyone seriously saying the Bills should have went 9-7?

OpIv37
08-09-2008, 12:24 PM

one winning season vs 5 losing seasons, and a horrendous overall W-L record. I'd say 13-3 was a fluke.

The talent level on the field doesn't dictate poor use of time outs/challenges or being in the wrong D or running draw plays on 3rd and 12. I understand that it's easier to coach a team with more talent, but a mistake is still a mistake.

OpIv37
08-09-2008, 12:27 PM
And the Dols have proven they can win a pressure game? Please.

And the game is at 4:05 PM on a Sunday. It's not a Sunday or Monday night game. How it is more pressure-filled for them?

the pressure's on us, not them. They get to play in a domed stadium against a crowd that will still be Buffalo-friendly but not nearly as hostile as a RWS crowd.

The game will get more attention because of the location. It will most likely be a national game in the US and it will definitely be national in Canada. Two countries are watching.

Goobylal
08-09-2008, 12:39 PM
the pressure's on us, not them. They get to play in a domed stadium against a crowd that will still be Buffalo-friendly but not nearly as hostile as a RWS crowd.

The game will get more attention because of the location. It will most likely be a national game in the US and it will definitely be national in Canada. Two countries are watching.
There's no less pressure on the Dols to win, especially with Parcells there. The Dols don't have the talent, period, and as you said, will be facing a hostile crowd. The Bills will easily sweep the Dols this year.