Clump's FINAL 2003 Mock Draft(3 rd League and 7 rd Bills)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Clump's FINAL 2003 Mock Draft(3 rd League and 7 rd Bills)

Well, now that the Jets have acquired the #4 pick, I need to do the whole mock again. I had a 3 rd mock all set to be posted

I will project some other deals I feel may go down (they will be in bold type). I also place more credence on best player available(BPA), versatility, salary cap, and future FA, than outright need. You don't draft a 2nd rd DL in the 1st when 1st rd value is there at another position (example: WR Josh Reed for both BPA and future FA loss).

Remember also: many surprises on draft day and look at past drafts as a reference to justify of some the projected deals they I propose (Psst...especially the Texans moves)

Enjoy :)

ROUND 1

1) Cincinnati: QB Carson Palmer(USC): He would have been my pick 2 months ago, 2 weeks ago, and 2 days ago LOL. Palmer makes the most sense because new HC Lewis is thinking long-term and Palmer has the "franchise-QB" potential. Bengals have decent talent at the skills positions on offense and a very good pair of bookend OT's. For a team not likely to compete for the playoffs until 2004 or 2005, this is a solid choice and it's good to see that he's already signed, sealed, and delivered!

2) Detroit: WR Charles Rogers(Michigan St): A team that desperately needs skill position players. Gives "franchise-QB" Harrington the "franchise" target that can open up the running game and make his life more tolerable in the pocket. I'm personally NOT concerned over the drug test hype because his explanation could very well be valid.

3) New England(HOU): DT Dewayne Robertson(Kentucky): Pats respond to the Jets move to #4 by acquiring #3. Dewayne is exactly what the Pats need in the middle of the DL and it will allow Richard Seymour to move to DE in a predominant 3-4 front. Robertson and Seymour together still offer the versatility to switch back to a 4-3 if the situation merits. I will cover the Texans reasoning later. (HOU sends #3 overall to NE for #14 & #19 and day two 2004 pick)

4) NY Jets(CHI): CB Terence Newman(Kansas St): While Robertson may have been the original target, Newman is arguably the best player in the draft and a solid fall back choice. Excellent all-aroung ability and can fill dual role of CB and replacing Bills' killer Chad Morton as a returner. WR Andre Johnson could be considered due to age concerns and loss of Coles, but Newman upgrades team speed on defense, something the Jets need an infusion of on defense.

5) Jacksonville(DAL): QB Byron Leftwich(Marshall): The draft is all about misinformation. Many rumors floating that interest in Leftwich has increased and teams like the Ravens may be interested in trading up for him. Jags blink first and move up to get Brunell's successor. Some feel that Leftwich will be a better QB long-term than Palmer. Besides, new HC Del Rio is in similar boat as Marvin Lewis and will build around "franchise-QB" Time will tell if this is the right decision! (DAL sends #5 to JAX for #8 and #72 plus day two 2004)

6) Arizona: DE Terrell Suggs(Arizona St): I feel the talk of the Cards drafting CB Trufant are a smoke-screen and other teams don't blink. Cards desperately need to generate a pass rush and have decent duo at CB already in Starks and Barrett. I don't remember too many occasions in which a DE is required to run 40 yds during a game. Suggs does need to hold more than 252 lbs however. Solid pick!

7) Houston(MIN): WR Andre Johnson(Miami, Fla): Texans jump back up into a position to get the their guy. They need skill position help for their own "franchise-QB" Carr. Vikes weigh many offers as the Saints are interested in Trufant, but Vikes are able to stay in the top 15 with the deal with Houston.
    (MIN sends #7 and #71 to HOU for #14,#36, and #67)

8) Dallas(JAX): DT Kevin Williams(Oklahoma St): First HUGE surprise! Parcells need to upgrade the size on defense and grabs the more versatile Kevin Williams. He capable of playing inside as well as DE. Both starting DE's, Ekuban and Ellis are UFA after 2003, thus the move for versatility and hedging against potential FA losses

9) Carolina: OT Jordan Gross(Utah): While trade offers are pouring in, the Panthers resist and decide to take their LT of the future. He may play RT initially if Todd Steussie can still handle LT, but eventually, Gross will shift to LT. It's possible that Trufant can also be considered here.

10) New Orleans(BAL): CB Marcus Trufant(Washington St) In a remarkable stroke of luck, the Saints are able to trade up and get Trufant using only one #1 pick. Trufant brings spped and coverage ability to a defense solely lacking a top notch CB. Ravens make the decision to move down once DT Williams, QB Leftwich, and OT Gross are all selected. (BAL sends #10 to NO for #17, #54, and day two 2004)

11) Seattle: DT Johnathan Sullivan(Georgia): DT Sullivan represents solid value at #11 and fills the Seahawks most pressing need.

12) St. Louis: LB Boss Bailey(Georgia): Mike Martz likes players with speed. At least Bailey can also play the game. He will allow Robert Thomas to shift inside to MLB. However, this could also be a wild card pick due to the egotistical Mike Martz. May also be looking to move down

13) Chicago(NYJ): DT Jimmy Kennedy(Penn St): Bears get the inside player they need to stiffen up against the run. Ted Washington likely to be cap casualty come June 1st. Keith Traylor rumored to be working on a contract extension.

14) Minnesota(Buf/NE/Hou): DT William Joseph(Miami,Fla) Vikings have many needs and can basically pick BPA, especially on defense. Stopping the run is a sole spot and they need to give Chris Hovan help inside. Joseph continues the run on DL. Could also look at DB

15) San Diego: OL Eric Steinbach(Iowa): Steinbach is the second highest rated OL and get solid value at #15. Can be projected at OT as well as inside at G. Chargers could also be considering DT and secondary help, but Steinbach could be the last piece to formulating a powerful offense with QB Brees, RB Tomlinson, and newly acquired WR Boston.

16) Chicago(KC): S Troy Polamalu(USC): Bears aggressive and move up to grab Polamalu. Upgrades an average secondary that will need further help later in the draft(KC sends #16 & #230 to CHI for #22, #100, #139)

17) Baltimore(NO): QB Kyle Boller(California): Ravens extremely fortunate that he's still on the board, but get the guy they wanted all along. Gives egomaniac Brian Billick the QB he needs for his offense. Could go DL if Boller is unavailable.

18) New Orleans(MIA): TE Jason Witten(Tennessee): Lost out on safety Polamalu, so go to fall abck in TE Witten. Gives Aaron Brooks an incredible arsenal of weapons on offense if they can all stay healthy. Will look to the lines later in draft

19) Houston(NE): RB Willis McGahee(Miami,Fla): Try to trade down but can't find a dance partner, so they go with the guy that they were originally targeted at #36(I projected #36 will be use to move up in previous trade)

20) Denver: DE Jerome McDougle(Miami,Fla): Broncos need pass rush threat from the blind side and will benefit from the presence of Daryl Gardener and Trevor Pryce.

21) Buffalo(CLEV): DE Michael Haynes(Penn St): Move up because they expect KC to grab him with next pick. Will complete the rebuilding of the DL and could potentially make the Bills front 7 one of the best in the league. Will be worked in at LDE and expect him to be a starter by years end.(CLEV sends #21 to BUF for #23 and #151)

22) Kansas City(NYJ/Chi): CB Andre Woolfolk(Oklahoma): Have already addressed concerns in the front 7 and may have been targeting either DE Haynes or McDougle, but Chiefs had severe coverage problems in the secondary and need an upgrade.

23) Cleveland(ATL/BUF): CB Sammy Davis(Texas A&M): Browns go with the fast riser at CB in Davis. Aggressive big play type of CB. Browns could also consider OL help.

24) Indianapolis: DB Rashean Mathis(Bethune-Cookman): Offers versatility as he can be projected to either CB or FS. Colts need major upgrade in the secondary and will likely invest further picks at DB. Could consider LB or OL

25) Green Bay(NYG): QB Rex Grossman(Florida): Packers need to find the future at QB and trade up as it's rumored that both the 49ers and Steelers are considering Grossman with their picks. Grossman can serve a 1 yr apprenticeship behind future HOF Farve. (NYG sends #25 to GB for #29 & #127)

26) San Francisco: OT Kwame Harris(Stanford): 49ers need to solidfy the blind side for Jeff Garcia. Harris needs to have a fire lit under him at times, but he brings tremendous skills to the table and can project to both OT spots but will likely be groomed at LT

27) Pittsburgh: DB Mike Doss(Ohio St): Steelers secondary needs multiple upgrades throughout. Doss represents excellent value in the late 1st. May have considered QB Grossman but could get a young QB in rd 2. RB Larry Johnson maybe a possibility.

28) Tennessee: C Jeff Faine(Notre Dame): Titans almost as lucky as a certain "illegal" play that shall remain nameless with Faine still available at #28. Also considering backfield help to give Eddie George a breather.

29) NY Giants(GB): DT Ty Warren(Texas A&M): Giants considered moving up but didn't want to pay the price to do so. Warren is versatile as he can play inside or even a 3-4 DE. Gives Giants DC more flexibility.

30) Philadelphia: LB E.J. Henderson(Maryland): Must go with value pick and Henderson could yield more productivity than other prospects. May look at the available TE's, but can also move up because they have 2 #2's. DE is also a consideration but no true value at this point.

31) Oakland: DB Julian Battle(Tennessee): Have FA concerns after the season with CB Woodson and Rod Woodson can't last forever. Battle offers versatility and excellent physical skills. Can play anywhere in the secondary

32) Oakland(TB): WR Kelley Washington(Tennessee): Once again, Rice and Brown cannot last forever and Jerry Porter is UFA after the season. Washington has medical concerns but Raiders don't need him right away and can give him an opportunity to learn and gain experience.

ROUND 2

33) Cincinnati: CB Eugene Wilson(Illinois)
    34) Detroit: RB Larry Johnson(Penn St)
    35) Chicago: QB Chris Simms(Texas)
    36) Minnesota(HOU): LB Nick Barnett(Oregon St)
    37) Arizona: WR Taylor Jacobs(Florida)
    38) Dallas: CB Dennis Weathersby(Oregon St)
    39) Jacksonville: C Al Johnson(Wisconsin)
    40) Minnesota: WR Bryant Johnson(Penn St)
    41) Baltimore: DT Kenny Peterson(Ohio St)
    42) Seattle: LB Gerald Hayes(Pittsburgh)
    43) St Louis: DE Chris Kelsay(Nebraska)
    44) Washington: DB Bryan Scott(Penn St)
    45) Carolina: TE Dallas Clark(Iowa)
    46) San Diego: DB Terrence Kiel(Texas A&M)
    47) Philadelphia(KC): TE L.J. Smith(Rutgers)*
    48) Denver(BUF): OT George Foster(Georgia)**
    49) Miami: OT Wayne Hunter(Hawaii)
    50) New England: RB Musa Smith(Georgia)
    51) Buffalo(DEN): TE Bennie Joppru(Michigan)
    52) Kansas City(CLE): DE Calvin Pace(Wake Forest)***
    53) NY Jets: WR Tyrone Calico(Middle Tennessee St)
    54) New Orleans: DL Tyler Brayton(Colorado)
    55) Atlanta: C/G Bruce Nelson(Iowa)
    56) NY Giants: DB Charles Tillman(La-Lafayette)
    57) San Francisco: DT Anthony Adams(Penn St)
    58) Indianapolis: LB Teddy Pierce(Kansas St)
    59) Pittsburgh: RB Lee Suggs(Virginia Tech)
    60) Tennessee: WR Kevin Curtis(Utah St)
    61) Cleveland(PHIL/KC): G Vince Manuwai(Hawaii)
    62) Philadelphia(GB): DE Cory Redding(Texas)
    63) Oakland: DT Nick Eason(Clemson)
    64) Tampa Bay: WR Bethel Johnson(Texas A&M)

Second Rd trades:
    *(KC sends #47 & #139 to PHIL for #61 & #95)
    **(BUF sends #48 to DEN for #51 & #158)
    ***(CLE sends #52 to KC for #61 & #113)

ROUND 3

65) Cincinnati: RB Chris Brown(Colorado)
    66) Detroit: CB Drayton Florence(Tuskegee)
    67) Minnesota(HOU): LB Matt Wilhelm(Ohio St)
    68) Chicago: RB Onterrio Smith(Oregon)
    69) Dallas: LB Bradie James(LSU)
    70) Arizona: QB Dave Ragone(Louisville)
    71) Houston(MIN): LB Pisa Tinoisamoa(Hawaii)
    72) Dallas(JAX): DB Ken Hamlin(Arkansas)
    73) Seattle: WR/TE Teyo Johnson(Stanford)
    74) St Louis: QB Drew Henson(Michigan)
    75) New England(WSH): DE/LB Antwan Peek(Cincinnati)
    76) Carolina: CB Torrie Cox(Pittsburgh)
    77) Baltimore: WR Brandon Lloyd(Illinois)
    78) Miami(KC/NO/NE): LB Chaun Thompson(W. Texas A&M)@
    79) Buffalo: WR Billy McMullen(Virginia)
    80) San Diego: CB DeJuan Groce(Nebraska)
    81) Tennessee(NE/WSH): DB Nnamdi Asomugha(California)****
    82) Denver: DB Colin Branch(Stanford)
    83) Houston: DT Jarret Johnson(Auburn)
    84) Cleveland: DE Dewayne White(Louisville)
    85) NY Jets: DT Rien Long(Washington St)
    86) New Orleans: DT Rashad Moore(Tennessee)
    87) Miami: DB Terrence Holt(No. Carolina St)
    88) Houston(ATL): DB Rhett Nelson(Colorado St)
    89) San Francisco: RB Justin Fargas(USC)
    90) Indianapolis: OT Brett Williams(Florida St)
    91) NY Giants: OL Jon Stinchcomb(Georgia)
    92) Pittsburgh: DT Antonio Garay(Boston College)
    93) Washington(TENN): LB Lance Briggs(Arizona)
    94) Green Bay: LB Joe Odom(Purdue)
    95) Kansas City(PHIL): WR Anquan Boldin(Florida St)
    96) Oakland: CB Kevin Garrett(SMU)
    97) Tampa Bay: LB Victor Hobson(Michigan)

Third rd trades:
    @ Trade between Miami and New England announced while typing....adjustment made

****(WSH sends #81 to TENN for #93, #164, & #243)

• BillsMan80
    Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
    • Jul 2002

To be honest, I wouldn't like that draft at all. I think Haynes is extremely overrated. Seems like most Penn State players bust in the NFL, i.e. Courtney Brown, and IMO to an extent LaVar Arrington who hasn't played like a 2nd overall pick. Haynes seems a lot like a Mike Mamula who rises out of nowhere because of one game(Senior Bowl)and seems to me like a player with little potential. Haynes is not better than anything we already have and I don't project him to improve much. I see Haynes getting anywhere from 5-7 sacks a year in the NFL, but no more.
    The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• clumping platelets

My 7 rd Mock for the Bills:

1) DE Michael Haynes(Penn St)
      2) TE Bennie Joppru(Michigan)
      3) WR Billy McMullen(Virginia)
      4) LB Sam Williams(Fresno St)
      5) CB Mike Lehan(Minnesota)
      6) OL Wayne Lucier(Colorado)
      6) QB Rob Adamson(Mt Union)
      7) DB Norman LeJeune(LSU)

Bills add extra 6th from day two trade

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsMan80
        To be honest, I wouldn't like that draft at all. I think Haynes is extremely overrated. Seems like most Penn State players bust in the NFL, i.e. Courtney Brown, and IMO to an extent LaVar Arrington who hasn't played like a 2nd overall pick. Haynes seems a lot like a Mike Mamula who rises out of nowhere because of one game(Senior Bowl)and seems to me like a player with little potential. Haynes is not better than anything we already have and I don't project him to improve much. I see Haynes getting anywhere from 5-7 sacks a year in the NFL, but no more.

Arrington has done better since they allowed him to roam more. Brown has had injury problems and, at last I saw, Bobby Engram was still a decent WR in the league...and he wasn't even a feature attraction at PSU.
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

well.. it is definately a nice effort..

i really dont see N.O. grabbing a TE early, considering they just got Conwell from St. Louis, via FA..

so that would mean that clarke could make it to us.

i also think there may be just a tad too many trades in there.. but at least it will be exciting..

good work clump..
          Last edited by Tatonka; 04-25-2003, 07:42 PM.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Winfield_26
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Love the Adamson selection Clump!
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

I don't see the Jets drafting Newman, they would be more inclined to take Johnson, who IMO is a slightly better receiver than Rogers. But that’s just a minor point… good job CP!
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                • Sep 2002

Imaginative and entertaining. Your general concepts are pretty good. But you know as well as I that nobody knows What TD has on his mind.

Comment

• Steve-Mo
                  • Apr 2003

Great job, Clump!

Comment

• Steve-Mo
                    • Apr 2003

Re: Clump's ONLY Full Mock Draft (4 rounds)

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                    87) Miami: DB Terrence Holt(No. Carolina St)
                    Makes me wanna forget about Anturo Freeman, Jamar Fletcher, and blown coverage...

:fabulous:

Comment

• clumping platelets

Surtain

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by fmr60
                        Imaginative and entertaining. Your general concepts are pretty good. But you know as well as I that nobody knows What TD has on his mind.

So true, so very true :)

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                          I don't see the Jets drafting Newman, they would be more inclined to take Johnson, who IMO is a slightly better receiver than Rogers. But that’s just a minor point… good job CP!

Need an intern?

Thanks Ingtar :)

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by SurtainRulz23
                            Great job, Clump!

Thanks

BTW

Comment

• BFBills
                              "That will be Nate Clements third Pic of the day!"
                              • Oct 2002

i like haynes better than McDugle
                              "BillsZone.com some of the most uhhhh....some of the smartest football talkers I've ever ever talked to"...Voltron...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              MIKE IS NICE!!!!!!!!!!!MIKE IS NICE!!!!!MIKE IS NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X