• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Excellent Interview Regarding Peters

http://buf.scout.com/a.z?s=24&p=2&c=778069

Excellent interview with Scout.com Senior Analyst Ed Thompson. Of course, I’m plugging the interview because I write for the company, but regardless it’s a good read and he sheds a lot of light about Jason Peters and his holdout, and makes a point I think is worth reading.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Excellent Interview Regarding Peters

whats it say.. i dont feel like reading it.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

quote:
      Bills Q&A With NFL Analyst Ed Thompson

Jason Peters (AP Photo/David Duprey)
      By Ed Thompson
      Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
      Posted Aug 11, 2008

Scout.com's Senior NFL Analyst Ed Thompson explains why Jason Peters' holdout makes no sense -- unless he's simply extending his summer vacation. And find out what he told BuffaloFootballReport.com's Tyler Dunne about a pair of offseason signings and the Bills' playoff chances in this Scout.com feature.

Tyler Dunne: What's your take on the Jason Peter and Lee Evans' contract situations?
      Ed Thompson: Peters has made a huge mistake. He's sitting at home deepening the divide between himself and a team that I believe will negotiate a new deal with him -- if he simply reports to camp. If he was trying to to squeeze more money from a team that was in cap trouble or that was showing no good-faith effort to negotiate with players once they reported to camp, I would understand (but still disagree with) his strategy of staying at home. But the Bills currently have $21 million in cap space, are actively negotiating a new deal with Evans, and Peters' dealing with the same team that renegotiated his contract as recently as 2006 that gave him a $1.5 million signing bonus in addition to a $1.25 million roster bonus that year.

He's already the sixth-highest paid player on the team at an average compensation of $4 million per year. People shouldn't lose sight of the fact that even though the figure thrown around in the media is his current $3.25 million salary, he's received enough money up front that he's actually a $4.45 million cap hit this year. That's still too low for his level of contribution to the team's success, but should be enough for him to show up to camp with his teammates and amiably work with the team towards a solution as Evans is doing even though his average per year is roughly half of Peters' current contract.

Perhaps Peters is also using this strategy as a way to avoid the doldrums of summer camp, knowing that his spot is waiting for him when he does return. But if that's part of the reason he's staying away, he's hurting a young offense that's been showing some real promise, since they need to have their full slate of players working together on their timing and chemistry to realize their full potential.

I think Peters will report before the end of camp and a new deal will be struck because it just makes sense for everyone involved. But if he doesn't report to camp, I don't see the Bills bending on this issue. They'd be setting a very bad precedent that could haunt them for years to come with a number of players.

As for Evans, Buffalo will get a deal squared away soon as he's demonstrated both his value and loyalty to the team. There's no way they want him hitting the free agent market at the end of this season, and it's yet another way to show Peters and others

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

I have a feeling Pat and Ed don't get along.

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

Good read, I still cant believe there hasnt been any communication from peters, his big ass needs to report and get this done
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

one thing that haunts me is that Peters was hinting at this holdout a ways back. he wasn't even at spring OTA's where everyone else showed. Why didn't the bills tell him, just get here when you're suppose to and we'll figure it out.

it makes me think that this is not about getting a couple extra weeks off. The fact that one guy is taking us from possible playoffs to possible back of the pack proves that he's worth a bigger contract.

Comment

• cocamide
              • Oct 2006

Even with the recent injuries, I hope the Bills don't sign him before he shows up to camp.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus
                Why didn't the bills tell him, just get here when you're suppose to and we'll figure it out.
                Why do you think this isn't what they told him?
                "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

Well trap, in fairness, we don't know what was said behind closed doors. It is safe to assume that a message such as the one you mentioned was sent. I put the onus on him... he knows we value him and he should realize he'll get his if he reports. My guess is its the agent who is pulling the strings and obstructing progress.

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

"The team inserted plenty of incentives for both players to earn more, including roster bonuses and bonuses for earning Pro Bowl honors, so it's a win-win contract scenario for both players and for the team."

It isn't Buffalo's fault Peters first agent was too stupid to add these bonuses.
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

you are right, i don't know that wasn't said. but from all the wonderlic comments made here, i feel that Peters would genuinely be confused if the bills got a hold of him in the spring and told him their end. I feel like Parker is the problem.

I could be wrong on the following, but this is how i see the peters/parker relationship working. The analogy Peters is the wife and Parker is the divorce attorney. The bills are the husband.

The husband literally just wants to solve the whole divore/renegotion and is annoyed the lawyer is so pesky. And Parker is literally in the way from the two talking to each other. So everytime the bills call, Peters wants to take the call, but Parker is sitting there saying, "that man is so mean to you. You don't answer when they call. Refer them to me and let me answer it." And When the bills are like, "honey? What? who is this? put my wife on!" Parker is sitting there in his legal voice being like, "my client won't talk to you until you give up custody of the children, the house and 80% of your paycheck."

Obviously the bills know if they could talk directly to peters they could get him to see there is a win win solution and that the lawyer/parker is making things needlessly complicated. But peters is so scared to lose out on his chance to really get a huge deal that he's actually killing himself.

If Parker goes, i really think a different agent and his team mates talk some sense into Peters to show up.

Comment

• HAMMER
                        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        http://buf.scout.com/a.z?s=24&p=2&c=778069

Excellent interview with Scout.com Senior Analyst Ed Thompson. Of course, I’m plugging the interview because I write for the company, but regardless it’s a good read and he sheds a lot of light about Jason Peters and his holdout, and makes a point I think is worth reading.
                        When do we get to see your articles? I have never seen anything you have written.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                          Well trap, in fairness, we don't know what was said behind closed doors. It is safe to assume that a message such as the one you mentioned was sent. I put the onus on him... he knows we value him and he should realize he'll get his if he reports. My guess is its the agent who is pulling the strings and obstructing progress.
                          And that agent has yet to see a payday working for Peters...gee, why would he have him want a new contract?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                          X