PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV subscribers, got a question for you

trapezeus
08-12-2008, 12:22 PM
If you get the NFL ticket, tell me this, would you pay an extra ten bucks on the total cost of the ticket if DirecTV, a 3rd party and/or NFL agreed to give you half the price back in the event your favorite team finished below 5-11?

So say you pay the $250 for the ticket, would you pay $260 to get back $125 if the bills finshed the season 5-11 or worse?

and if you don't have DirecTV, would something like that entice you to getting the NFL ticket?

superbills
08-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Sure, but I guess the catch would be, how do they know that your favorite team is who you say they are? For instance, this year I wouldn't say the Bills are my favorite. team. We could pull this whole thing together, go 10-6 and make the playoffs, or we could struggle all year and go 5-11.

I'd rather take a sure bet to get my money back and tell whoever is giving the discount that my favorite team is the Dolphins. Next year, maybe I'll use the Bucs. Why gamble when you can take the sure bet?

There are a whole lot of variables that would prevent a deal like this from happening, but yeah, I'd play along (and cheat :up:)

OpIv37
08-12-2008, 12:44 PM
with the way this team has performed, I'd take that in a second.

RedEyE
08-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Sure. I'd also prefer a deal were you can pay per-view the games rather than buying the entire NFL. I only want the Bills games.

trapezeus
08-12-2008, 12:47 PM
yeah, my situation was just based in theory. the actual mechanics would have to be sorted out. perhaps they could see what games you were watching to confirm your selection. Or perhaps they could let you change your teams each year if they felt the parity was good enough

madness
08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Sign me up!

trapezeus
08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
i like your idea Red-eye, but they would make it even mroe expensive to do it on a game by game basis. kinda like how time warner makes the pay channels $79 a month, and basic cable $65 a month. in the end, you're best just taking the pay channels. because if you get just HBO, they make it $77 dollars.

I'd love to find a way to make this work.

RedEyE
08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
i like your idea Red-eye, but they would make it even mroe expensive to do it on a game by game basis. kinda like how time warner makes the pay channels $79 a month, and basic cable $65 a month. in the end, you're best just taking the pay channels. because if you get just HBO, they make it $77 dollars.

I'd love to find a way to make this work.

That's fine to me as I can't be home every weekend anyway.

Novacane
08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Anyone would take it for only $10. Any deal like that would be double the price

trapezeus
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Anyone would take it for only $10. Any deal like that would be double the price

doubling the price doesn't make it worth it to the person to buy the "insurance". It's just an option that tries to hedge your cost if the whole season went down the drain.

if it costs you $125 to get your $125 back. no one would do it. If it's a small fee, then the company behind it would have to have some faith that enough subscribers would be picking their favorite teams. And that the winners will be paid out and there is cash left over from people who lose. You might have to cancel out the top 8 or 12 teams from last year.

welcome to an odd version of derivatives trading.