PDA

View Full Version : Lynch might win the rushing title...

Pinkerton Security
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/08/12/mail/index.html

THIS WOULDN'T BE A FANTASY QUESTION, ERIC, WOULD IT? From Eric Batchelor, of Acton, Mass.: "Who's your pick for leading rusher in the NFL this year?''
1. LaDainian Tomlinson, because his Michael Turner-security blanket is gone.
2. Marshawn Lynch.
3. Steven Jackson.
4. Joseph Addai.
5. Adrian Peterson.

Its true though, we leaned on him heavily in our first year and may even more this year. Plus, RB's can often flourish in their 2nd seasons in the league.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 01:58 PM
not without Peters

OpIv37
08-12-2008, 01:59 PM
for the second time in a day, I agree with Justa. Without Peters, Lynch has no chance.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Go look at some older posts, they showed that we, as a team, ran better to the right side than the left last year anyways.

So it's very conceivable that Marshawn has a chance at the rushing title.

Personally, I believe that the loss of Peters hurts us more in the passing game than the rushing game.

OpIv37
08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Go look at some older posts, they showed that we, as a team, ran better to the right side than the left last year anyways.

Personally, I believe that the loss of Peters hurts us more in the passing game than the rushing game.

Same difference- once teams figure out we can't protect the passer, they'll just put 8 in the box and shut down the run. See 2002-2004.

Mitchy moo
08-12-2008, 02:12 PM
for the second time in a day, I agree with Justa. Without Peters, Lynch has no chance.

The world is ending if you 2 are agreeing, LOL.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:15 PM

right - left. Doesn't matter .we need Peters to help the running game

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Same difference- once teams figure out we can't protect the passer, they'll just put 8 in the box and shut down the run. See 2002-2004.

In 2002, Travis Henry ran for 1400 yards, 4.4 ypc, 13TDs
2003, Henry ran for 1356 yards, 4.1 ypc, 10 TDs
04, McGahee ran for 1100 yards, 4.0 ypc, 13 TDs

in 2007, Lynch ran for 1100 yards, 4.0 ypc, 7 TDs

I'd gladly take a return to 2002-04 in the running game.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
right - left. Doesn't matter .we need Peters to help the running game

It's a flawed argument that we "need" Peters to help in the running game. Statistics prove we ran better away from him last year anyways.

I won't disagree that we do NEED him for his pass protection abilities.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:19 PM

and we still sucked. We need Peters.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
It's a flawed argument that we "need" Peters to help in the running game. Statistics prove we ran better away from him last year anyways.

Stats don't paint an entire picture. With better protection we can run a bunch of plays that will affect the run game. The pass opens up the run and the run opens up the pass.

OpIv37
08-12-2008, 02:24 PM

and was that anywhere close to the rushing title for any of those seasons?

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:26 PM
FTY got pwned!

OpIv37
08-12-2008, 02:32 PM
well I'm not trying to "pwn" anyone- FTY may have a point that we can run the ball equally as well without Peters, but we're still a long way from getting Lynch the rushing title with or without Peters.

I think having Peters will help the passing game, and if that can spread the D, it will help Lynch tremendously.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:33 PM

04, McGahee was 8th in the AFC 14th overall...plus remember, he only started 11 games.

03, Henry was 7th in the AFC 11th overall missed one game.

02, Henry was 5th in the AFC and NFL

In 2007 Lynch was 6th in the AFC 11th overall

What this shows is that Peters isn't an upgrade in the running game over what we had before his arrival.

Again, I'm not disagreeing that we need him on this team, but I don't think he affects what Marshawn can or will do.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
FTY got pwned!

Did I?

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Again, I'm not disagreeing that we need him on this team, but I don't think he affects what Marshawn can or will do.
since the pass helps the run Peters will help the running game . We can run play actions with Peters in there.

EDS
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM

If they have to shuffle the offensive line by moving Walker and possibly Butler around does that still mean they will run well to the right side?

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
If they have to shuffle the offensive line by moving Walker and possibly Butler around does that still mean they will run well to the right side?

No, they would end up running better probably to the left side.

Langston Walker is a big road grater type of Tackle.

Hence why we ran better to his side last year.

Problem is I'm not confident in his abilities to protect the QBs blindside in the passing game.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Did I?
AS obvious as Peters being needed

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
and we still sucked. We need Peters.

Seeing you said I got Pwned, I think instead of leaving this one alone, I'll pwn you. Why? Because I can!

What does it matter? Even with Peters we still sucked. So why does our sucking mean we need him, when we suck with or without him?

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Seeing you said I got Pwned, I think instead of leaving this one alone, I'll pwn you. Why? Because I can!

What does it matter? Even with Peters we still sucked. So why does our sucking mean we need him, when we suck with or without him?

I already answered that. Play action. besides, Peters wasn't there when Henry was here. Bad example trying to use stats from a different era thats under different circumstances.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:43 PM
AS obvious as Peters being needed

In terms of this topic, we don't need him.

The stats show it...based on how we ran better away from him and stats of prior years to him arriving here.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
In terms of this topic, we don't need him.

The stats show it...based on how we ran better away from him and stats of prior years to him arriving here.
PLay action, play action,paly action. Besides Does Fairchild know how to run the ball? HIs O was so obvious. A better OC can run to Peters and Dockery's side.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I already answered that. Play action. besides, Peters wasn't there when Henry was here. Bad example trying to use stats from a different era thats under different circumstances.

That's the point, in 2002, we sucked, Peters wasn't here.

In 2007, we sucked, Peters was here.

At best you can say that we ran equal to 2002 last year...At best. I'd say our rushing game was worse. But yet you feel Peters is absolutely necessary in our ability to run the football.

It's shown that with or without him we can run the football and in fact run the football better away from him than to him.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
That's the point, in 2002, we sucked, Peters wasn't here.

In 2007, we sucked, Peters was here.

At best you can say that we ran equal to 2002 last year...At best. I'd say our rushing game was worse. But yet you feel Peters is absolutely necessary in our ability to run the football.

It's shown that with or without him we can run the football and in fact run the football better away from him than to him.
Fairchild. Even if we most likely run better in the rt side I'm sure we could run well on the left side if we have to if our rt side sucked.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Ok, I'll go one further...

Marshawn had 3 100 yard rushing games last year...

One of them, was when Peters wasn't playing.

His season average YPC 4.0, that game without Peters? 4.8 YPC.

Like I said, in terms of Lynch winning a rushing title, Peters means very little.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Ok, I'll go one further...

Marshawn had 3 100 yard rushing games last year...

One of them, was when Peters wasn't playing.

His season average YPC 4.0, that game without Peters? 4.8 YPC.

Like I said, in terms of Lynch winning a rushing title, Peters means very little.
ugh, I don't know why I'm even arguing this with you. Stats don't pain an entire picture. There's also match ups. If our OL matches up better against the Dl on the right side , we'll run to the right.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2008, 03:05 PM
ugh, I don't know why I'm even arguing this with you. Stats don't pain an entire picture. There's also match ups. If our OL matches up better against the Dl on the right side , we'll run to the right.

I've shown plenty of facts why you're outright wrong on this topic.

Quit while you think you're still ahead.

yordad
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
FTY is on ignore, so I don't know if I fully know what his argument is but...how does "we ran better to the left" translate to "we would run better without Peters"? Wouldn't that mean we would run even worst to the right without Peters?

Just because Peters may not have been our best run blocker, doesn't mean his backup is better at run blocking.

justasportsfan
08-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I've shown plenty of facts why you're outright wrong on this topic.

Quit while you think you're still ahead.
Can't help you if you don't understand simple 101.
1. Pass opens up the run and vice-versa.

stats don't paint an entire picture but it can be spun. Common sense.

raphael120
08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Anyone ever consider that the reason we may have ran better on the right is because all of the extra attention Peters deserved on the left, therefore opening up the right?

I'm just laughing at all these people who say we' sucked with peters, so we dont need him. Just wait til regular season starts and we're without him...

gr8slayer
08-12-2008, 04:57 PM
There's no reason why he can't win it assuming Peters is here. He has the talent to be whatever he wants to be.