X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

April trying the "Wendling Leap" on Field Goals

A few times during camp and once in the preseason opener with the Bills in field goal block formation, John Wendling has put his tremendous leaping ability to use.

Leading up to the draft the Wyoming product was known by most for his YouTube video that showed him leaping over a 66-inch high bar from a standing position.

Special teams coordinator Bobby April has allowed Wendling to try leaping over the entire field goal formation including the opposing line to see if he's capable of blocking a field goal attempt.

Whether or not it's realistic to time that perfectly, since kicks are up in the air so quick off the snap, we're not sure, but Wendling has cleared players lined up on both sides of the line of scrimmage and landed in the offensive backfield.

At the very least it's entertaining to watch.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • LtFinFan66
    • Mar 2005

Re: April trying the "Wendling Leap" on Field Goals

That has to be a sight to see

Comment

• Confused
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Jun 2007

sweet. that video on the tube was sick.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
        • Mar 2005

That says he jumped from a standing position?? Is there a different video than this one?

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
          That says he jumped from a standing position?? Is there a different video than this one?

consider the source. Chris Brown is part of the Bills PR operation.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

I am sick of Bobby April.

Let's worry about stopping the run.

mmmmkayyyy?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

Dudes, this is 100% true. As I posted in another thread today regarding my notes from today's training camp, I saw Wendling jump clear over Melvin Fowler's head. Not kidding at all, Wendling went up and over without even looking like it was an effort. I have never seen anything like it.
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• HughC
                • Mar 2008

This may not be the best tactic. I remember a MNF game a few years ago where the Colts came from way behind to beat Tampa Bay, and benefited from a penalty called on the Bucs from this type of move.

Fun play to watch but we'd be better off putting time and effort in to fundamentals.

The NFL upheld the penalty on leaping Simeon Rice, a call that gave the Indianapolis Colts a second chance at a field goal that beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in overtime.

With 3:57 remaining in overtime, the Colts attempted a game-winning 40-yard field goal.

The attempt missed, but Buccaneers DE Rice was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct after jumping in an attempt to block Mike Vangerjagt's unsuccessful 40-yard field goal. Vanderjagt received another chance and made a 29-yarder that caromed off the right upright.
                The league confirmed Tuesday what referee Johnnie Grier said after the game: The rules ban running forward, leaping and falling on a player, as Rice did.

The penalty has been called seven times in the last five years including Monday night, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. Before Monday, it was last called against Washington's LaVar Arrington in a Week 3 game between the Giants and Redskins on the winning field goal, a 29-yarder by the Giants' Matt Bryant in overtime. The kick was good, so the penalty was declined.

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 2 of the 2003 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League defines the unsportsmanlike conduct/leaping penalty as follows:

"Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or try-kick after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped."

Rice lined up approximately four yards behind the line of scrimmage, ran forward, leaped in an attempt to block the kick, and illegally landed on a teammate.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by coastal

mmmmkayyyy?
                  No, not "mmmmkayyyy." ST's are uber important.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by coastal

mmmmkayyyy?
                    Let Fewell and Kollar worry about that while April worries about special teams.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

"illegally landed on a teammate"? That is kind of screwy. And that's kind of funny.... 'til it happens to the Bills. I think he's trying to say Wendling could do it without landing on someone.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

It's a penalty to land on someone or to jump off of someone to get extra air, so it would have to be well timed and well executed. It's probably too hard but it's worth a shot.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• lordofgun
                          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

If he can do it without a running start, it doesn't matter who he lands on.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

i remember watching that game. rice used a teammate to "launch" himself

if welding can leap over the line without aid, i fail to see the risk.
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

they put that rule in place to stop the defenders from forming the human pyramid to block kicks

if somebody could find a video of the olden days when they used to do that its pretty cool. they couldnt do it until after the ball is snapped so it looks like some kind of chinese circus on fast forward when they stack themselves to form the pyramid
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X