PDA

View Full Version : April trying the "Wendling Leap" on Field Goals

Coach Sal
08-12-2008, 08:13 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6381

A few times during camp and once in the preseason opener with the Bills in field goal block formation, John Wendling has put his tremendous leaping ability to use.

Leading up to the draft the Wyoming product was known by most for his YouTube video that showed him leaping over a 66-inch high bar from a standing position.

Special teams coordinator Bobby April has allowed Wendling to try leaping over the entire field goal formation including the opposing line to see if he's capable of blocking a field goal attempt.

Whether or not it's realistic to time that perfectly, since kicks are up in the air so quick off the snap, we're not sure, but Wendling has cleared players lined up on both sides of the line of scrimmage and landed in the offensive backfield.

At the very least it's entertaining to watch.

LtFinFan66
08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
That has to be a sight to see

Confused
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
sweet. that video on the tube was sick.

LtFinFan66
08-12-2008, 08:30 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6381That says he jumped from a standing position?? Is there a different video than this one?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0P-22hhrW4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0P-22hhrW4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OpIv37
08-12-2008, 09:08 PM
That says he jumped from a standing position?? Is there a different video than this one?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0P-22hhrW4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0P-22hhrW4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

consider the source. Chris Brown is part of the Bills PR operation.

coastal
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
I am sick of Bobby April.

Let's worry about stopping the run.

mmmmkayyyy?

Saratoga Slim
08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Dudes, this is 100% true. As I posted in another thread today regarding my notes from today's training camp, I saw Wendling jump clear over Melvin Fowler's head. Not kidding at all, Wendling went up and over without even looking like it was an effort. I have never seen anything like it.

HughC
08-12-2008, 09:52 PM
This may not be the best tactic. I remember a MNF game a few years ago where the Colts came from way behind to beat Tampa Bay, and benefited from a penalty called on the Bucs from this type of move.

Fun play to watch but we'd be better off putting time and effort in to fundamentals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1632537

With 3:57 remaining in overtime, the Colts attempted a game-winning 40-yard field goal.

The attempt missed, but Buccaneers DE Rice was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct after jumping in an attempt to block Mike Vangerjagt (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4525)'s unsuccessful 40-yard field goal. Vanderjagt received another chance and made a 29-yarder that caromed off the right upright.
The league confirmed Tuesday what referee Johnnie Grier said after the game: The rules ban running forward, leaping and falling on a player, as Rice did.

The penalty has been called seven times in the last five years including Monday night, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. Before Monday, it was last called against Washington's LaVar Arrington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5031) in a Week 3 game between the Giants and Redskins on the winning field goal, a 29-yarder by the Giants' Matt Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6243) in overtime. The kick was good, so the penalty was declined.

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 2 of the 2003 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League defines the unsportsmanlike conduct/leaping penalty as follows:

"Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or try-kick after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped."

Rice lined up approximately four yards behind the line of scrimmage, ran forward, leaped in an attempt to block the kick, and illegally landed on a teammate.

Goobylal
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM

mmmmkayyyy?
No, not "mmmmkayyyy." ST's are uber important.

Dr. Lecter
08-12-2008, 10:27 PM

mmmmkayyyy?

Let Fewell and Kollar worry about that while April worries about special teams.

yordad
08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
"illegally landed on a teammate"? That is kind of screwy. And that's kind of funny.... 'til it happens to the Bills. I think he's trying to say Wendling could do it without landing on someone.

OpIv37
08-12-2008, 10:48 PM
It's a penalty to land on someone or to jump off of someone to get extra air, so it would have to be well timed and well executed. It's probably too hard but it's worth a shot.

lordofgun
08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
If he can do it without a running start, it doesn't matter who he lands on.

Ingtar33
08-13-2008, 03:45 AM
i remember watching that game. rice used a teammate to "launch" himself

if welding can leap over the line without aid, i fail to see the risk.

Meathead
08-13-2008, 05:00 AM
they put that rule in place to stop the defenders from forming the human pyramid to block kicks

if somebody could find a video of the olden days when they used to do that its pretty cool. they couldnt do it until after the ball is snapped so it looks like some kind of chinese circus on fast forward when they stack themselves to form the pyramid

patmoran2006
08-13-2008, 06:46 AM
I bet you John Wendling can jump over that mountain...

Pinkerton Security
08-13-2008, 09:06 AM
I bet you John Wendling can jump over that mountain...

maybe back in '82...

but seriously, if this is legal, and we do it, and he even comes close, Wendling is gonna be my hero.

Pride
08-13-2008, 09:19 AM
I dont think this is something that benefits the bills on an extra point or 20 yard field goal... The kick is usually too high as the kicker gets way under the ball.

I think this is more for those 40+ yard field goals where the kick barely sales over defenders raised hands. You figure a standing DT with his arms up is reaching about 8 foot. If Wendling can jump 6 feet up and extend his hands up... thats 9-10 foot instead of 7-8 foot. That could be block for a long distance FG.

justasportsfan
08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
If wendling was allowed to jump over the line and straight into the kicker, he would. He's better than a ninja but slightly less powerful than Chuck Norris.

OpIv37
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I dont think this is something that benefits the bills on an extra point or 20 yard field goal... The kick is usually too high as the kicker gets way under the ball.

I think this is more for those 40+ yard field goals where the kick barely sales over defenders raised hands. You figure a standing DT with his arms up is reaching about 8 foot. If Wendling can jump 6 feet up and extend his hands up... thats 9-10 foot instead of 7-8 foot. That could be block for a long distance FG.

and all he has to do is get one or even come very close to getting one. Then it's going to have a psychological effect on the kicker.

Mitchell55
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
There isnt a rule saying he cant. He just can use leverage from his teamate or someone elses.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2008, 01:20 PM

mmmmkayyyy?

You'll get hammerred for this but I couldn't agree more.

Special teams players are cheap and fun to watch so that's why the Bills spend the time on it.

I'd rather have the top ranked offense and suck at special teams than the other way around.

justasportsfan
08-13-2008, 01:27 PM
You'll get hammerred for this but I couldn't agree more.

Special teams players are cheap and fun to watch so that's why the Bills spend the time on it.

I'd rather have the top ranked offense and suck at special teams than the other way around.
stupid post. The O has nothing to do with April. It's his job to build a top notch ST not the O. He's just doing his job and he's the best at it. Duh!

OpIv37
08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
stupid post. The O has nothing to do with April. It's his job to build a top notch ST not the O. He's just doing his job and he's the best at it. Duh!

I agree that April should be responsible for S/T and this type of creativity is his job. It may or may not work, but it's good to see him thinking outside of the box and coming up with innovative ways to use the talent we have (something guys like Fairchild never figured out).

However, I think coastal and HH are frustrated because sometimes it seems like the team as a whole puts TOO much emphasis on S/T. It's great to have top-tier special teams, but not when it comes at the expense of the offense or defense. Last year, we had a handful of injuries at LB against the Patriots, and we actually finished the game with nickel as our base D because no one trusted Haggan or Stamer to play LB.

So, it's great that April does his job well, but it would be nice if the FO and the head coach paid as much attention to O and D as they do to S/T. On average, probably only one out of every 8 to 10 plays are S/T plays.

justasportsfan
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I agree that April should be responsible for S/T and this type of creativity is his job. It may or may not work, but it's good to see him thinking outside of the box and coming up with innovative ways to use the talent we have (something guys like Fairchild never figured out).

However, I think coastal and HH are frustrated because sometimes it seems like the team as a whole puts TOO much emphasis on S/T. It's great to have top-tier special teams, but not when it comes at the expense of the offense or defense. Last year, we had a handful of injuries at LB against the Patriots, and we actually finished the game with nickel as our base D because no one trusted Haggan or Stamer to play LB.

So, it's great that April does his job well, but it would be nice if the FO and the head coach paid as much attention to O and D as they do to S/T. On average, probably only one out of every 8 to 10 plays are S/T plays.

NO we do not put way too much emphasis on ST. IF we had Manning, TO, Moss , LT and an all pro line-up we would still be using the same amount of time on ST because that's MArvs philosophy.

If you want o blame the problems on the O , blame it on Dick for chosing a stupid Fairchild and if Turk doesn't pan out, Dick gets fired.

April was the only highlight both under Mularkey and Jauron.

BTW, have no problem with what coastal said but HH's

they spend time on it because it can win you games. Ask the Pats.

HHURRICANE
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM

Taking my post out of context yet again. Please refer to Op's response.

I never said that Bobby April shouldn't do his job.

Stewie
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM

It might have had something to do with the score being 45-10 and the patriots still throwing all over the field

justasportsfan
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Taking my post out of context .don't flatter yourself. Your posts have no context.

yordad
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM

So, it's great that April does his job well, but it would be nice if the FO and the head coach paid as much attention to O and D as they do to S/T. On average, probably only one out of every 8 to 10 plays are S/T plays.We actually started that game in the nickel.

I don't think having a good STs is taking away from O or D in this case. To my knowledge, no starter has been injured on special teams in recent memory. The worst that can happen is McGee can run back a long one, then fumble, and have to sit out a defensive play while catching his breath. I'd say that would be a fairly rare occurrence.

I think what someone is trying to say somewhere is that he wishes our O and D were better, so that they weren't outshined by our STs. I mean, when an opposing coach is asked about what he expects the up coming game against buffalo, they usually reply "They have a really good special teams.....".

I'd like to hear one say "Their offense is dangerous... they can get on a roll.... they can score from anywheres.... we're really going to have to limit our mistakes".

But, a good special teams isn't hurting in this case, IMO. And, those guys are fun to watch!

Dr. Lecter
08-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Can the smack talk and stay on topic, please.

OpIv37
08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
We actually started that game in the nickel.

I don't think having a good STs is taking away from O or D in this case. To my knowledge, no starter has been injured on special teams in recent memory. The worst that can happen is McGee can run back a long one, then fumble, and have to sit out a defensive play while catching his breath. I'd say that would be a fairly rare occurrence.

I think what someone is trying to say somewhere is that he wishes our O and D were better, so that they weren't outshined by our STs. I mean, when an opposing coach is asked about what he expects the up coming game against buffalo, they usually reply "They have a really good special teams.....".

I'd like to hear one say "Their offense is dangerous... they can get on a roll.... they can score from anywheres.... we're really going to have to limit our mistakes".

But, a good special teams isn't hurting in this case, IMO. And, those guys are fun to watch!

I'm not worried about starters playing S/T. I'm worried about keeping back ups who can't play an offensive or defensive position because they CAN play special teams. In those situations, it creates a larger talent gap between a starter and a back up, so even one injury to a starter can be detrimental.

yordad
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm not worried about starters playing S/T. I'm worried about keeping back ups who can't play an offensive or defensive position because they CAN play special teams. In those situations, it creates a larger talent gap between a starter and a back up, so even one injury to a starter can be detrimental.Awe, your always thinking. Maybe your right taking this into consideration. But, I'm not sure they truely did that.

justasportsfan
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Awe, your always thinking. Maybe your right taking this into consideration. But, I'm not sure they truely did that.
we haven't cut anyone yet have we?

coastal
08-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey mouthbreathers...

I'm not saying that we shouldn't focus on special teams.

I am saying that there are other basic tenets of the game (like playing defense) that would do a lot more to get me geeked up about this team.

If flying white boys at kicks does it for you... by all means...

have at it!