X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

What I liked and did not like about the STARTERS

I am pleasantly surprised to see so much more on the "like" side than the "not like" side after this one. There wasn't too much not to like, but here's the lists:

What I liked:

--Run defense. Aside from a couple plays the Steelers got a little loose (and that's being picky), the front-7 did a great job of stuffing the field between the tackles and on the edge. I especially liked the way the big guys up front moved down the line to collapse the holes.

--Pass Rush Pressure. No sacks (see below), but Big Ben was feeling heat and had to get the heck out of the pocket several times.

--Turk throwing on 1st down! Throwing was nice enough, but completing passes was fabulous. If this offesne can complete 1st down passes (again, Schonert has to be willing to throw the ball) it will absolutely help the running game, as well, and keep defenses off balance.

--Run blocking/Lynch/Jackson: The run game was terrific. Remember when I wrote after I watched practice that Lynch was great at cutting and still hitting the hole really hard? Well, it looks like Schonert recognizes that, too, because I saw a lot of designed cut-back runs. The line did a good job with that....And Marshawn nailed 'em for big yardage.

--Pass protection: Aside from a poor play by Langston Walker near his own goalline, the o-line mostly gave Trent a ton of time to throw the ball. His quick release probably made it look even better than it was, but I'll take that kind of protection every Sunday. It makes it a lot easier to call plays and take chances.

--Trent Edwards: He more than made up for a sub-par performance last week. He threw the ball well to all parts of the field. The outside, middle, intermediate, and short routes. From his own end, between the 20s, and even the red zone. I hope takes more chances this season like he did on the TD pass to Royal. Running for a long first down was an added bonus.

What I didn't like:

--No sacks: Pressure is great to get, and the Bills got a lot (see above). But at some point, you have to start putting the quarterback on his butt. They allowed too many escapes. Close doesn't count on sacks and it cost the Bills a couple first downs.

--Man-to-man defense: Ugh! I saw way too many defenders chasing receivers all over the field as they were catching passes. If the front-7 isn't going to get sacks, the secondary better be able to stay with their men for a little while longer. A lot to ask, but even when Roethlisberger didn't have a lot of time, the DBs didn't hold up their end of the bargain. They were bad.

--Darian Barnes as the only RB in the backfield: Of course I love splitting Marshawn Lynch out as a WR, especially if there is a matchup with a linebacker. But, doing this and leaving Darian Barnes as the only RB in the backfoeld is counter-productive. All it does is tell the entire stadium, "we're throwing the football." If defensive coordinators and defenders see Barnes as the lone back, they won't be threatened by a pass at all and either blitz, blanket the receivers, or a combination of both. And don't say, "but we can surprise them by handing the ball to Barnes," either. What's the surprise? A 2-yard gain instead of one? Good teams don't have to trick their oppponents to beat them. They beat them by doing what they do very well.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Re: What I liked and did not like about the STARTERS

Originally posted by Coach Sal
    I am pleasantly surprised to see so much more on the "like" side than the "not like" side after this one. There wasn't too much not to like, but here's the lists:

What I liked:

--Run defense. Aside from a couple plays the Steelers got a little loose (and that's being picky), the front-7 did a great job of stuffing the field between the tackles and on the edge. I especially liked the way the big guys up front moved down the line to collapse the holes.

--Pass Rush Pressure. No sacks (see below), but Big Ben was feeling heat and had to get the heck out of the pocket several times.

--Turk throwing on 1st down! Throwing was nice enough, but completing passes was fabulous. If this offesne can complete 1st down passes (again, Schonert has to be willing to throw the ball) it will absolutely help the running game, as well, and keep defenses off balance.

--Run blocking/Lynch/Jackson: The run game was terrific. Remember when I wrote after I watched practice that Lynch was great at cutting and still hitting the hole really hard? Well, it looks like Schonert recognizes that, too, because I saw a lot of designed cut-back runs. The line did a good job with that....And Marshawn nailed 'em for big yardage.

--Pass protection: Aside from a poor play by Langston Walker near his own goalline, the o-line mostly gave Trent a ton of time to throw the ball. His quick release probably made it look even better than it was, but I'll take that kind of protection every Sunday. It makes it a lot easier to call plays and take chances.

--Trent Edwards: He more than made up for a sub-par performance last week. He threw the ball well to all parts of the field. The outside, middle, intermediate, and short routes. From his own end, between the 20s, and even the red zone. I hope takes more chances this season like he did on the TD pass to Royal. Running for a long first down was an added bonus.

What I didn't like:

--No sacks: Pressure is great to get, and the Bills got a lot (see above). But at some point, you have to start putting the quarterback on his butt. They allowed too many escapes. Close doesn't count on sacks and it cost the Bills a couple first downs.

--Man-to-man defense: Ugh! I saw way too many defenders chasing receivers all over the field as they were catching passes. If the front-7 isn't going to get sacks, the secondary better be able to stay with their men for a little while longer. A lot to ask, but even when Roethlisberger didn't have a lot of time, the DBs didn't hold up their end of the bargain. They were bad.

--Darian Barnes as the only RB in the backfield: Of course I love splitting Marshawn Lynch out as a WR, especially if there is a matchup with a linebacker. But, doing this and leaving Darian Barnes as the only RB in the backfoeld is counter-productive. All it does is tell the entire stadium, "we're throwing the football." If defensive coordinators and defenders see Barnes as the lone back, they won't be threatened by a pass at all and either blitz, blanket the receivers, or a combination of both. And don't say, "but we can surprise them by handing the ball to Barnes," either. What's the surprise? A 2-yard gain instead of one? Good teams don't have to trick their oppponents to beat them. They beat them by doing what they do very well.

Good. But add Losman to bad.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

I like that they threw the ball to the RBs as well, including Lynch (and not just dump-offs!).

A welcome change of pace.
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by MLynch23
        Good. But add Losman to bad.
        He is not a starter.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mitchell55
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          He is not a starter.

Didnt read the thread. Its in caps to. Bad miss.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Solid observations Sal!
            COMING SOON...
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

I like that they threw the ball to the RBs as well, including Lynch (and not just dump-offs!).

A welcome change of pace.
              Yup. The one to Freddy was a designed flare. He did a great job of staying upright after that hit. I think Trent only actually "dumped down" once or twice in the 11 attempts.
              Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
              And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Mitchell55
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                Yup. The one to Freddy was a designed flare. He did a great job of staying upright after that hit. I think Trent only actually "dumped down" once or twice in the 11 attempts.

That was the cunningham play.

Comment

• bills_7
                  TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
                  • Mar 2004

Notice how dick barely let JP play

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bills_7
                    Kinda hard to stay on the field when you get sacked on two third downs in a row.

Dick must have arranged that!
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

If they wanna split out a receiving back, they should line up with Lynch and Jackson.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mitchell55
                        • Feb 2008

JP 16 snaps. Edwards got 22 snaps. Not much of a difference and Edwards is a starter, he should get more. Next problem?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Thank God.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Crisis
                            • Aug 2004

im watching the replay because i missed the game but lynch did a great job picking up the blitz on the first royal td
                            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                            Vanek is Austrian not European
                            Originally posted by Prov401
                            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                            Originally posted by better days
                            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                              • Oct 2002

Great post Sal. I'd add to the likes:

Lee Evans- He looked great tonight, getting a couple of first downs and really looking like he's ready to go this year after missing the game last week.

DiGiorgio- Crowell probably will see little, if any action this preseason. But he was all around the ball on almost every play. It's great to have a guy that can backup at OLB and MLB and there isn't that much of a drop off.

Simpson- Made the deflection on Whitner's INT, but he made a couple of great hits. I think he's close to being back to 100%.
                              Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X