PDA

View Full Version : Great Read on Edwards/Beck Article

patmoran2006
08-14-2008, 11:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8451656/QBs-Edwards,-Beck-headed-down-different-paths

TORONTO - They are boom-and-bust quarterbacks forever linked in NFL draft lore.

Duos like Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. Drew Bledsoe and Rick Mirer.

<STYLE>.moreTeamsDiv { position:relative; float:right; padding-right:10px;}.moreTeamsHdr { background-image:url(/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header.gif); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position:top; height:35px; color:#000000; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; font-weight:bold;}.moreTeamsLinks a:link, .moreTeamsLinks a:visited { color:#1266a4; text-decoration:none; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; padding-right:4px; padding-bottom:4px;}.moreTeamsLinks a:hover { text-decoration:underline;}.moreTeamLinks { font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration:none;}.storyPoll { padding-bottom: 5px; float:right;}</STYLE>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>var pollWidth=250;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/fe/js/lib/javascriptFlash/FSJavaScriptFlashGateway.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> var userStatus='vote'; // if this poll is the one for which they have answered, show results if (typeof(pollsVoted)!="undefined") { for (var i = 0; i < pollsVoted.length; i++) { if (pollsVoted[i] == 8452392) { var userStatus = 'results'; break; } } } // has to have retry because hitbox code is defered. function hitBoxVote(m,p) { } var pollHeight = 0; if (pollHeight == 0) { pollHeight = Math.max(140 + (2 * 40) ); } var flashPollQuery='choices=2&questionId=281882&pollId=8452392&cUrl=&pgCode=null&categoryId=null&userStatus='+userStatus; var tag = new FSFlashTag("/id/8796869", 300, pollHeight); // movie path, last two arguments are width and height tag.setId('flashPoll'); tag.setFlashvars(flashPollQuery); tag.setWmode('transparent'); tag.setWmodeFF('transparent'); tag.write(document);</SCRIPT><OBJECT id=flashPoll codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,14,0 height=220 width=300 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

</OBJECT>

And if the preseason is any indication, Class of 2007 members Trent Edwards and John Beck may soon be joining that list.

They aren't as high-profile as those other two tandems, but Edwards and Beck share a connection through the Miami Dolphins. Had last year's draft unfolded in just a slightly different fashion, Edwards might be in the same precarious position that Beck now finds himself in.

An NFL source said Thursday that Beck is on the trading block. Beck slipped to fourth on Miami's depth chart following the recent signing of former New York Jets starter Chad Pennington.

As for Edwards, he continued to cement himself as Buffalo's starter during Thursday night's 24-21 win against Pittsburgh in Toronto. Looking much sharper than in his preseason debut last Saturday against Washington, Edwards was 9-of-11 passing for 104 yards and two touchdowns in two series of action. He even showcased some surprising mobility with a 22-yard scrabble.
We'll never know if Edwards would be doing so well if he were in South Florida.

Ebenezer
08-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Neither has even started a full season a QB and neither was a first round pick. The author is taking a huge leap in comparisons.

patmoran2006
08-14-2008, 11:54 PM
By draft standards, yes.

But the big premise is that Trent would've been drafted by Miami had Philly not taken Kolb, which allowed MIami to take Beck, who they liked more than Trent but not more than Kolb.

And if that happened, where would Trent be now.. Thats at least what I got out of it.

Ebenezer
08-14-2008, 11:58 PM
By draft standards, yes.

But the big premise is that Trent would've been drafted by Miami had Philly not taken Kolb, which allowed MIami to take Beck, who they liked more than Trent but not more than Kolb.

And if that happened, where would Trent be now.. Thats at least what I got out of it.
I get out of it that because Miami was stupid we have a potential starting QB. Good for us and crap for them.