PDA

View Full Version : Some Preliminary comments

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 07:27 AM
So, NFLN didn't show the game until midnight- I stayed up and watched until they pulled the starters (Pittsburgh's first TD) and I'll watch the rest on DVR. But here are some comments based on what I saw so far:

-Was that Pittsburgh's first team defense? It sure as hell didn't look like it. Regardless, it was encouraging to see the O moving the ball and scoring 2 red zone TD's.
-Although Hardy was listed as the starter, they didn't put him in until we were in the red zone.
-Fred Jackson looks solid again
-The starting D got two stops-including one turnover, but Pittsburgh was moving the ball and largely stifled themselves with penalties. It wasn't a bad performance but I was hoping to see them be more stout up front.
-Stroud made some plays
-Ko Simpson gift wrapped that INT for Whitner. But, we'll take 'em however we can get 'em.
-Will James looked lost
-Youboty doesn't look nearly as good against Pittsburgh's first string as he did against Washington's second string.
-I'm not sold on Wilson and I think we may have depth issues at S

Ebenezer
08-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Op has obviously not had his coffee yet.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 07:29 AM
oh I forgot Robert Royal. Not only did he have the TD's but I saw him make some solid blocks as well. Let's just hope he can bring it in the regular season.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Op has obviously not had his coffee yet.

contrary to some people's beliefs, I don't ***** without reason. Last night, the starters didn't give me anything to ***** about. The starting O scored 2 redzone TD's in two drives- can't ask for any more than that. And the starting D gave up some yards but no points- it wasn't perfect or pretty but it got the necessary results.

Like I said before the Washington game, I just wanted to see something to suggest this team has improved. And last night, they showed some key improvements.

BlackMetalNinja
08-15-2008, 07:33 AM
I watched about the exact same portion of the game, and I'd say your assessment was pretty dead on. Certainly more encouraging than the Redskins game at any rate.

Ebenezer
08-15-2008, 07:34 AM
contrary to some people's beliefs, I don't ***** without reason. Last night, the starters didn't give me anything to ***** about. The starting O scored 2 redzone TD's in two drives- can't ask for any more than that. And the starting D gave up some yards but no points- it wasn't perfect or pretty but it got the necessary results.

Like I said before the Washington game, I just wanted to see something to suggest this team has improved. And last night, they showed some key improvements.
I would have allowed you to be a little bit more harsh on the defense. They didn't look good.

Bulldog
08-15-2008, 07:36 AM
So, NFLN didn't show the game until midnight- I stayed up and watched until they pulled the starters (Pittsburgh's first TD) and I'll watch the rest on DVR. But here are some comments based on what I saw so far:

-Was that Pittsburgh's first team defense? It sure as hell didn't look like it. Regardless, it was encouraging to see the O moving the ball and scoring 2 red zone TD's.
-Although Hardy was listed as the starter, they didn't put him in until we were in the red zone.
-The starting D got two stops-including one turnover, but Pittsburgh was moving the ball and largely stifled themselves with penalties. It wasn't a bad performance but I was hoping to see them be more stout up front.
-Stroud made some plays
-Ko Simpson gift wrapped that INT for Whitner. But, we'll take 'em however we can get 'em.
-Will James looked lost
-Youboty doesn't look nearly as good against Pittsburgh's first string as he did against Washington's second string.

I love it how you can't give the Bill offense credit without first questioning if it was the Steelers first team defense. I'm not saying that Buffalo's offense is suddenly prolific, but if you weren't impressed by what they did last night, I don't know what to tell you. And for what it's worth, Buffalo had already pulled most of the starters on defense when the Steelers scored their first TD. Must have been tough for you to watch that knowing that you wouldn't e able to come on here today and rip the team a new one.

BlackMetalNinja
08-15-2008, 07:39 AM
I love it how you can't give the Bill offense credit without first questioning if it was the Steelers first team defense. I'm not saying that Buffalo's offense is suddenly prolific, but if you weren't impressed by what they did last night, I don't know what to tell you. And for what it's worth, Buffalo had already pulled most of the starters on defense when the Steelers scored their first TD. Must have been tough for you to watch that knowing that you wouldn't e able to come on here today and rip the team a new one.

You complain when he gets negative... he is actually being fairly positive here, and you still jump all over him. How does that make you any better than him? You're trying to pick out things to complain about that aren't really there... isn't that what Op does that bothers you in the first place?

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 07:41 AM
I would have allowed you to be a little bit more harsh on the defense. They didn't look good.

yeah I was hoping for more from them, but at the end of the day, the starters didn't give up any points even if Pittsburgh was moving the ball. I'm really not too concerned about S. Holmes and Ben Rothlisbergenheimenreiner putting up a TD on Ashton Youboty and George Wilson. And surprisingly, the O helped them out by putting up points and keeping them off the field. That's a winning formula in a game that matters.

Of course, there's only been two games- one where they looked like garbage and one where they looked good- so we don't know which team will show up on Sunday afternoons in September. But they showed signs of life and that's all you can really ask for in preseason.

Bulldog
08-15-2008, 07:42 AM
You complain when he gets negative... he is actually being fairly positive here, and you still jump all over him. How does that make you any better than him? You're trying to pick out things to complain about that aren't really there... isn't that what Op does that bothers you in the first place?

I just found it amusing that OP had to preface his remarks about the offense with his usual cynical point of view.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 07:45 AM

dude are you even reading my posts? First, the first team D thing was a joke- if it wasn't funny, fine- don't laugh. But don't take it so seriously. Second, I acknowledged that the first team D didn't give up any points..

I only rip the team a new one when they give me a reason to rip them a new one- last night, they played well and so I came on and complimented them. But you're still complaining about my posts? Seriously, what do you want from me?

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 07:47 AM
contrary to some people's beliefs, I don't ***** without reason.

Well, unless it involves a soccer mom......

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 07:50 AM

So allowing no points, causing a turnover and stifling one of the better RBs in the NFL (Parker) does not look good? (granted it was only two series)

You need to relax. I loved the way the defense played, with the exception of not finishing the sacks. Hell, right now you are being more negative than Op. Think about it.

And Stroud looked like the Stroud of old. I was watching him. 2 blockers every play and they could not stop him.

Whitner's Int is the kind of play they need and that is what good safeties do. Be around the ball and take advantage of opportunity.

Ebenezer
08-15-2008, 07:51 AM
soccer mom's are hot in bed if you get them liquored up first...

...did I just type that? Oy, awake for 24 hours is a killer.

Ebenezer
08-15-2008, 07:52 AM
So allowing no points, causing a turnover and stifling one of the better RBs in the NFL (Parker) does not look good? (granted it was only two series)

You need to relax. I loved the way the defense played, with the exception of not finishing the sacks. Hell, right now you are being more negative than Op. Think about it.

And Stroud looked like the Stroud of old. I was watching him. 2 blockers every play and they could not stop him.

Whitner's Int is the kind of play they need and that is what good safeties do. Be around the ball and take advantage of opportunity.
I am not being negative. Pittsburgh offense was very bland. I don't even remember them using motion once. The INT was a very lucky deflection. The DBs didn't have a good night. That may be because Whitner isn't ready but it is enough to raise concern. I agree on Stroud but the other DT position was invisibile.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 07:53 AM
And I don't think Will James makes the team. Youboty will and Corner beat him out.

As for Wilson, he is what he is - a back-up safety who is still new at the position. The one play he and/or Youboty messed up was against starters so that is not a big deal to me. He is also solid on ST so unless somebody else materilizes he is here for another year.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I am not being negative. Pittsburgh offense was very bland. I don't even remember them using motion once. The INT was a very lucky deflection. The DBs didn't have a good night. That may be because Whitner isn't ready but it is enough to raise concern. I agree on Stroud but the other DT position was invisibile.

I can think of one play made by McCargo and one by Williams as well. They might not have been great, but were not invisible.

As for the Int being a lucky deflection, like I said earlier that is how many Ints occur. Tip the ball and go get it.

The CBs were not good, that much I agree with. I am still not sold on Greer.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 08:36 AM

-Stroud made some plays
-Will James looked lost

backhanded compliments? Lets just end the torture OP, pay me my zbs now :D

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 08:39 AM

Big Ben 9/11 142 yds, 1 INT

Our starting Pass D was atrocious, three or more missed sacks, bad coverage and blown assignments. That was the only negative to a great game last night. Run wise we were amazing and couldn't ask for anything better but we have to get better against the pass.

So far starting QB's are a combined:

16 for 21 213 yds 0 TD, and 1 INT

Id like to see us bring down that completion percentage by tightening up the coverage somewhat. Our starting front four have produced 0 sacks so far which even Sal mentions as a concern. Last night the O clicked completely and the Run D was great, but there are still things to work on. I dont think any of our CB's or Safeties stood out what so ever.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I can think of one play made by McCargo and one by Williams as well. They might not have been great, but were not invisible.

As for the Int being a lucky deflection, like I said earlier that is how many Ints occur. Tip the ball and go get it.

The CBs were not good, that much I agree with. I am still not sold on Greer.

Nor McGee, he has a trend of being good one year, and average the next, this year is supposed to be a down year according to his trend, we need him to break that.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
backhanded compliments? Lets just end the torture OP, pay me my zbs now :D

ha. The first one was half a question, half a joke. I don't know who Pittsburgh's starters are, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was surprised to see Buffalo's starting O roll Pittsburgh's starting D.

The second one- I'm just trying to keep things in perspective. Too many people around here have a man crush on Whitner. But, it's about making plays and winning football games, not making the highlight reel. So even though there was some luck involved, he got the job done.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
The second one- I'm just trying to keep things in perspective. Too many people around here have a man crush on Whitner. But, it's about making plays and winning football games, not making the highlight reel. So even though there was some luck involved, he got the job done.

Ha. Mancrush or you just hating on the guy and so quick to label him a bust.

OP some of us knew that Whitner had to play close to the LOS last year which prevented him from having to make plays. Well, see what happens when he doesn't have to? Although I am not saying he's probowl bound, unlike you we could see under the circumstances why he hasn't been able to make plays like yesterdays int. Next time , don't be so quick to dump on any player. At least try to disect the situation.

Bulldog
08-15-2008, 08:51 AM

Our starting Pass D was atrocious, three or more missed sacks, bad coverage and blown assignments. That was the only negative to a great game last night. Run wise we were amazing and couldn't ask for anything better but we have to get better against the pass.

Id like to see us bring down that completion percentage by tightening up the coverage somewhat. Our starting front four have produced 0 sacks so far which even Sal mentions as a concern. Last night the O clicked completely and the Run D was great, but there are still things to work on. I dont think any of our CB's or Safeties stood out what so ever.

While the starting defense didn't sack Big Ben, I thought the pressure was consistant and a factor on the interception.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Ha. Mancrush or you just hating on the guy and so quick to label him a bust.

OP some of us knew that Whitner had to play close to the LOS last year which prevented him from having to make plays. Well, see what happens when he doesn't have to? Although I am not saying he's probowl bound, unlike you we could see under the circumstances why he hasn't been able to make plays like yesterdays int. Next time , don't be so quick to dump on any player. At least try to disect the situation.

I wasn't happy with the Whitner pick, but you have to admit that my criticism of Whitner is well deserved. I mean, you say he doesn't make plays because he has to play close to the LOS- well, he let McGahee run right by him and he missed tackles or took bad angles on two of the Giants' long TD runs. So, if he's playing up close in run support, it doesn't always help. Granted, those are only 3 plays but they're 3 HUGE plays- the kind we can't afford to give up, ever.

Anyway, I agreee he hasn't had a lot of talent around him. If our pass rush and run D are better this year, maybe he'll finally be able to reach the potential he supposedly had when he was drafted. But up to this point, regardless of whether it's his fault or the team around him, Whitner's play has left a lot to be desired.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I wasn't happy with the Whitner pick, but you have to admit that my criticism of Whitner is well deserved. I mean, you say he doesn't make plays because he has to play close to the LOS- well, he let McGahee run right by him and he missed tackles or took bad angles on two of the Giants' long TD runs. So, if he's playing up close in run support, it doesn't always help. Granted, those are only 3 plays but they're 3 HUGE plays- the kind we can't afford to give up, ever.

Anyway, I agreee he hasn't had a lot of talent around him. If our pass rush and run D are better this year, maybe he'll finally be able to reach the potential he supposedly had when he was drafted. But up to this point, regardless of whether it's his fault or the team around him, Whitner's play has left a lot to be desired.
it wasn't well deserved. YOu were harsh on him inspite of the situation in front of him. Hardly any of us said he was a saviour but we gave him the benefit of a doubt because we knew the problems up front. YOu pretty much labeled him a bust already.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:00 AM
While the starting defense didn't sack Big Ben, I thought the pressure was consistant and a factor on the interception.

That throw from Ben was one he knew he shouldnt of even made pressure or not. Ko was hiding on that play and made a good break on the ball to deflect it. Ben has to see that.

mysticsoto
08-15-2008, 09:05 AM

I think the sack stat is overblown for our type of defense. Schobel should have had a sack in the 1st series - instead, he was held and Pittsburgh was called for it. That to me = a 10 yd sack...whether it goes on Schobel's personal stats or not...he caused that and deserves credit for it!

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Ben has to see that.
pressure makes you see different things and force you to make mistakes.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I think the sack stat is overblown for our type of defense. Schobel should have had a sack in the 1st series - instead, he was held and Pittsburgh was called for it. That to me = a 10 yd sack...whether it goes on Schobel's personal stats or not...he caused that and deserves credit for it!

Fair enough but Kelsay got juked out of his shoes by Big Ben on the 1st or 2nd play of that same series when he had a clear shot on him so thats what Im talking about. Applying pressure is great, but it did not affect Big Ben last night as he was still extremely accurate and efficient.

billsburgh
08-15-2008, 09:12 AM

That's not entirely true. more than half on Bens passing yards came against the second stringers after the Bills pulled the starters. 78 yards passing came on the steelers first scoring drive

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Fair enough but Kelsay got juked out of his shoes by Big Ben on the 1st or 2nd play of that same series when he had a clear shot on him so thats what Im talking about. Applying pressure is great, but it did not affect Big Ben last night as he was still extremely accurate and efficient.
I agree though. The pressure we had on Ben last night was good but not enough to make this team a legit playoff D. WE have to finish and put the qb out of their misery.

Knowing our DL coach. He's probably in their face for not finishing .

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:17 AM
That's not entirely true. more than half on Bens passing yards came against the second stringers after the Bills pulled the starters. 78 yards passing came on the steelers first scoring drive

Unless the PIT announcers were just plain stupid (which is a complete possibility) they kept talking about Stroud in the middle, Mitchell on the outside and players like that and I didn't count the TD but if you want to be exact (and assuming you are correct) then you subtract 3 completions and attempts, and 78 yards and still that's a very high cmp pct which nobody can be happy about and my point still remains.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 09:18 AM

Atrocious? A Little hyperbole in there? They give up no points and create a turnover and it is atrocious? I'll take atrocious all year if that is the case.

Yes they should have made the sack, but as Mystic said there was one pseudo sack and the pressure was intense. Ben does not go down easily so the pressure is what most teams get against him, but it would have been much had Kelsay or Schobel completes the sack.

Although I agree the CBs were weak.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Atrocious? A Little hyperbole in there? They give up no points and create a turnover and it is atrocious? I'll take atrocious all year if that is the case.

Yes they should have made the sack, but as Mystic said there was one pseudo sack and the pressure was intense. Ben does not go down easily so the pressure is what most teams get against him, but it would have been much had Kelsay or Schobel completes the sack.

Although I agree the CBs were weak.

Im sorry but to assume the ease at which PIT moved the ball through the air will not lead to points in the regular season is far too much for me to go along with you on. Our D has not stopped anybody through the air, and if the starters get more than 1 or 2 series we are going to let up points. The pick was a lot of luck last night but that happens and alot of picks are off deflections, but other than that we can't think of one good thing our Pass D did. Yes it was atrocious, the only thing that stopped PIT's O last night was themselves. See their third drive where they only ran once and killed our second team through the air.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Sorry, I can't call allowing no points atrocious.

Scoring is what matters, not yardage. Was the pass D as good as it needs to be? No. Atorcious? No way. That is allowing 2 easy scores for Pittsburgh and they did not do so. Don't get more involved with stats than you are with results.

And yes, their starters killed the Bills back-ups. I expected that.

(PS the Pass defense aslo got pressure so to say there was nothing good is wrong. I am not saying it was good enough but it was not atrocious either)

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
I think what draftboy is hoping we should've done better at not letting them move the ball. Neverthless, the D looked better than it did the last couple of years.It's a good thing and not atrocious.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Sorry, I can't call allowing no points atrocious.

Scoring is what matters, not yardage. Was the pass D as good as it needs to be? No. Atorcious? No way. That is allowing 2 easy scores for Pittsburgh and they did not do so. Don't get more involved with stats than you are with results.

And yes, their starters killed the Bills back-ups. I expected that.

(PS the Pass defense aslo got pressure so to say there was nothing good is wrong. I am not saying it was good enough but it was not atrocious either)

I can't just look at those two possessions and think that because they didn't score there it won't happen in a full game even though they moved the ball very easily and what pressure we did create did not at all matter since Ben never got sacked and was still extremely efficient. Pressure is only good if it forces mistakes or leads to sacks it did neither last night so I dont know how we can consider that a good thing.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I think what draftboy is hoping we should've done better at not letting them move the ball. Neverthless, the D looked better than it did the last couple of years.It's a good thing and not atrocious.

D as a whole looked very good and I love the fact that our Run D was much improved over last week but looking at just the Pass D, yes it was completely atrocious. Nobody cares about the outcome of these games, what they care about is execution and we could not execute to save our lives in Passing Defense.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
The pressure did lead to holding penalty, which is as good as a sack. Ben always plays well under pressure and the pressure not leading to more was a result of the DBs (and LBs in coverage - not surprising since the best coverage LB did not play).

My point is that pass D needs to be better, but atrocious is hyperbole. In the end the Steelers did not score and that is what matters. Call it disappointing or weak. But atrocious is the lowest of the low.

Citing only stats and not citing results is trait usually reserved for somebody else........... :D

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
D as a whole looked very good and I love the fact that our Run D was much improved over last week but looking at just the Pass D, yes it was completely atrocious. Nobody cares about the outcome of these games, what they care about is execution and we could not execute to save our lives in Passing Defense.
Atrocious would be having the O score at will. They didn't.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
The pressure did lead to holding penalty, which is as good as a sack. Ben always plays well under pressure and the pressure not leading to more was a result of the DBs (and LBs in coverage - not surprising since the best coverage LB did not play).

My point is that pass D needs to be better, but atrocious is hyperbole. In the end the Steelers did not score and that is what matters. Call it disappointing or weak. But atrocious is the lowest of the low.

Citing only stats and not citing results is trait usually reserved for somebody else........... :D

Low Blow!

we'll see but nobody can be happy with our Pass D last night that at least we can all agree on.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Atrocious would be having the O score at will. They didn't.

Maybe in your opinion however, to me in these games the scoring doesn't matter as much as the execution itself.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Maybe in your opinion however, to me in these games the scoring doesn't matter as much as the execution itself.

they bent and didn't break. LIke I said, it's not enough to take us deep into the playoffs but it's an improvement especially against a PItts O. One step at a time.

BlackMetalNinja
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I love it... you can't win around here I swear. Op actually tries to be positive about last nights game and he still has people jumping all over him for that! He drives me just as nuts as everybody else with the incessant complaining, but I'm sure as hell not going to try and pick a fight with him when he leans the other way for once.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I love it... you can't win around here I swear. Op actually tries to be positive about last nights game and he still has people jumping all over him for that! He drives me just as nuts as everybody else with the incessant complaining, but I'm sure as hell not going to try and pick a fight with him when he leans the other way for once.
he brought it upon himself.

Besides, it's LEcter vs. Draftboy.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
he brought it upon himself.

Besides, it's LEcter vs. Draftboy.

Not really...

Bulldog
08-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I can't just look at those two possessions and think that because they didn't score there it won't happen in a full game even though they moved the ball very easily and what pressure we did create did not at all matter since Ben never got sacked and was still extremely efficient. Pressure is only good if it forces mistakes or leads to sacks it did neither last night so I dont know how we can consider that a good thing.

So the pressure that forced Big Ben to step up and throw the interception wasn't a factor in that turnover? He was hurried by the pressure and made a poor decision with the football.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 09:51 AM
So the pressure that forced Big Ben to step up and throw the interception wasn't a factor in that turnover? He was hurried by the pressure and made a poor decision with the football.

maybe draftboy would've prefered a sack instead of an INT?

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Not really, he stepped up and bought more time. I dont even think he got hit on that play. It was just a stupid throw. I dont think it even counted as a QBH on that play.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
maybe draftboy would've prefered a sack instead of an INT?

Maybe he would of...then again he would of also preferred to see our offense do something after the starters went out. We went so vanilla it made the game very boring.

billsburgh
08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Unless the PIT announcers were just plain stupid (which is a complete possibility) they kept talking about Stroud in the middle, Mitchell on the outside and players like that and I didn't count the TD but if you want to be exact (and assuming you are correct) then you subtract 3 completions and attempts, and 78 yards and still that's a very high cmp pct which nobody can be happy about and my point still remains.
I dont remember about Stroud and Mitchell, but as you can see here, it was backup players in the secondary making tackles. I'll have to watch the replay again. As for the PIT radio announcers, they are really stupid. As other people here have said, the starters when all 11 wer in didnt give up long drives or any points. which is the ultimate goal.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 09:43
9-R.Lindell kicks 71 yards from BUF 30 to PIT -1. 15-W.Reid to PIT 25 for 26 yards (26-A.Youboty).
1-10-PIT 25 (9:37) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to 86-H.Ward to PIT 49 for 24 yards (28-L.McKelvin). Caught on run at PIT 45, crossing to middle.
1-10-PIT 49 (8:58) 34-R.Mendenhall left tackle to PIT 49 for no gain (47-J.Corto).
2-10-PIT 49 (8:24) 34-R.Mendenhall left tackle to BUF 49 for 2 yards (56-K.Ellison; 92-R.Denney).
3-8-BUF 49 (7:39) (Shotgun) PENALTY on PIT-68-C.Kemoeatu, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 49 - No Play.
3-13-PIT 46 (7:15) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to 21-M.Moore to BUF 40 for 14 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio, 27-R.Corner). Caught at BUF 47.
1-10-BUF 40 (6:34) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass deep left to 10-S.Holmes for 40 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught 7 yds. into end zone.

mysticsoto
08-15-2008, 10:01 AM
DB, in my opinion, this is what Jauron and Fewell want. While sacks would be great, QBs aren't stupid and will throw before the DE gets there. The whole point is to force them to throw before they are ready or really want to. And then have our speedy secondary take advantage with interceptions. As such, I believe the ints will exceed sacks this year. Unfortunately alot of that will be hit and miss b'cse the QB may make the completion after all. But the idea seems to be keep trying to force the QB to make an error. Ben is pretty laid back and can hang in there (as will Brady) but the whole secondary is getting toasted is probably something you'll see a good deal of during the season. They'll allow for those, in hopes that some of those passes will turn to ints.

As long as they don't score, I really don't care if we are in last place in pass coverage!!!

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
I dont remember about Stroud and Mitchell, but as you can see here, it was backup players in the secondary making tackles. I'll have to watch the replay again. As for the PIT radio announcers, they are really stupid. As other people here have said, the starters when all 11 wer in didnt give up long drives or any points. which is the ultimate goal.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 09:43
9-R.Lindell kicks 71 yards from BUF 30 to PIT -1. 15-W.Reid to PIT 25 for 26 yards (26-A.Youboty).
1-10-PIT 25 (9:37) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to 86-H.Ward to PIT 49 for 24 yards (28-L.McKelvin). Caught on run at PIT 45, crossing to middle.
1-10-PIT 49 (8:58) 34-R.Mendenhall left tackle to PIT 49 for no gain (47-J.Corto).
2-10-PIT 49 (8:24) 34-R.Mendenhall left tackle to BUF 49 for 2 yards (56-K.Ellison; 92-R.Denney).
3-8-BUF 49 (7:39) (Shotgun) PENALTY on PIT-68-C.Kemoeatu, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 49 - No Play.
3-13-PIT 46 (7:15) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to 21-M.Moore to BUF 40 for 14 yards (52-J.DiGiorgio, 27-R.Corner). Caught at BUF 47.
1-10-BUF 40 (6:34) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass deep left to 10-S.Holmes for 40 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught 7 yds. into end zone.

Fair enough I know Youboty/Wilson got beat on the throw to Holmes for a TD but the annoucers kept saying Buffalo starters were still in the game for the most part and we had a sub package in...oh well they are ******ed.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
We went so vanilla it made the game very boring.
thats a different subject but I'll play.

the first part of them game was for the 1st team to get chemistry. achieved.

2nd part. Tryouts and for the coaches to see who they will cut . Achieved to a certain level.

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
DB, in my opinion, this is what Jauron and Fewell want. While sacks would be great, QBs aren't stupid and will throw before the DE gets there. The whole point is to force them to throw before they are ready or really want to. And then have our speedy secondary take advantage with interceptions. As such, I believe the ints will exceed sacks this year. Unfortunately alot of that will be hit and miss b'cse the QB may make the completion after all. But the idea seems to be keep trying to force the QB to make an error. Ben is pretty laid back and can hang in there (as will Brady) but the whole secondary is getting toasted is probably something you'll see a good deal of during the season. They'll allow for those, in hopes that some of those passes will turn to ints.

As long as they don't score, I really don't care if we are in last place in pass coverage!!!

I dont think that correlates and Ill give you the above points though I hate the mentality of it.

But I dont see a D which ranks last in pass coverage not allowing teams to score...

DraftBoy
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
thats a different subject but I'll play.

the first part of them game was for the 1st team to get chemistry. achieved.

2nd part. Tryouts and for the coaches to see who they will cut . Achieved to a certain level.

No disagreements here, just wish we could of seen Baker and Hamdan throw some more and our WR's like Jones, Huggins, Johnson, Jenkins, Mayle, Fine get some more reps catching.

Philagape
08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I find not much to complain about with the starting D.

-- They didn't allow the Steelers to get into the red zone. Pittsburgh's first two drives were a total of 13 plays and 63 yards.
-- Pressure was disruptive.
-- Forced a turnover.
-- Held Parker to less than 3 yards a carry.

Not bad at all.
Both drives had costly penalties on third down, but the Bills didn't allow those to be converted.

dannyek71
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Hardy played quite well. I will totally disagree with George Wilson. He was like a man among boys out there with his tackles/coverage.

raphael120
08-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't be so hard on our starting Dline for not getting those sacks. Big Ben's MO is doing that, missing sacks and standing on his feet while a 300 pound dude is trying to pull him down. Big Ben is called "Big" for a reason. Dude will not go down. So while we didn't get those sacks, it certainly did rattle him I'm sure, and thats something we didn't do at all last season. Definitely something to build on, but I was getting frustrated with "almost" sacking him those few times. Certain QBs will make stupid mistakes with the ball, but Ben is usually pretty good with the improvisation plays as we got burned a couple times through the air when Ben missed being sacked, but we finally got him with the INT which was awesome.

I have to admit, I'm going to Pittsburgh this weekend and I'm going to rub it in all my friends faces. Good to be on the winning side of the Pittsburgh/Buffalo rivalry for once!

As for the offense, I think if I scripted what I wouldve like to have seen from our team, it would be pretty much what happened. Edwards looked great, we had a 90 yard TD drive that ate up all kinds of clock, Lynch looked good, our starting D looked pretty good (though I am worried about our corners still, I never was too confident with McGee).

And holy ****, Rob Royal looked pretty decent. He did more good than bad, which I've never seen! I am surprised he got both feet down in the endzone, considering he didnt when we played the Titans a few years back and pretty much screwed our chances of winning that game.

Wright is a bum, I'm saying it right now. I have YET to see him on the field and him not fumble the ball. 2 games, 2 fumbles. That's pretty bad and I think he should be gone from this team. If he doesn't know how to hold onto a football by now (he's not a rookie anymore) he should be gone. Omon looks pretty good so lets take a flier on him.

JP Losman looked like Losman, I kinda felt bad for him though. It was nice to see, though, that when he got sacked the second time, we went off to the sidelines and was talking with Lee and Edwards, it's good to see that they have some kind of dialogue with eachother and he just didn't go off to the sideline to mope. And is it just me or did JP just look disinterested the whole time he was on the field? I mean, I don't blame him but... Maybe he was mad because of how good Trent did? Who knows...aaaanyways...

Stroud was in the backfield alot disrupting, our run D looked VERY good, and we shut down Willie Parker and Mendenhall, very cool. I thought they were going to run all over us. I don't know what to expect for regular season, but I can tell you I havent seen the Bills starters play THAT good in a preseason game in a very long time. So...I'll hang my hat on that.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 10:41 AM
raphael, told ya we could do well against Pitts starters. It's playing their back ups we have problems with. :D

billsburgh
08-15-2008, 10:47 AM
raphael, told ya we could do well against Pitts starters. It's playing their back ups we have problems with. :D
that game still pisses me off.

raphael120
08-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Ah yes, the game I stupidly brought 10 of my friends from Pittsburgh to the game, I being the only one in a Bills jersey...man I got so much crap. That game makes me want to punch a baby.

Bling
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
dude are you even reading my posts? First, the first team D thing was a joke- if it wasn't funny, fine- don't laugh. But don't take it so seriously. Second, I acknowledged that the first team D didn't give up any points..

I only rip the team a new one when they give me a reason to rip them a new one- last night, they played well and so I came on and complimented them. But you're still complaining about my posts? Seriously, what do you want from me?

Amazing. Bulldog, that was nothing short of hypocritical. You might want to check that you aren't the one looking for drama.

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Ah yes, the game I stupidly brought 10 of my friends from Pittsburgh to the game, I being the only one in a Bills jersey...man I got so much crap. That game makes me want to punch a baby.
you shoulda had the last laugh.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Hardy played quite well. I will totally disagree with George Wilson. He was like a man among boys out there with his tackles/coverage.

so far, I only saw the series of plays that led to Pittsburgh's first TD so I'm basing it on that and what he did last week. I'll keep an eye on him when I watch the rest of the game later.

Mitchell55
08-15-2008, 11:50 AM

I said it 5 times but Ill say it again. Our starters vs there starters, 14 nothing. Our backups vs there backups, 0-3 pittsburgh.

chernobylwraiths
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
oh I forgot Robert Royal. Not only did he have the TD's but I saw him make some solid blocks as well. Let's just hope he can bring it in the regular season.

He also had a penalty that wiped out a nice Marshawn run and put them near the goal line.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
He also had a penalty that wiped out a nice Marshawn run and put them near the goal line.
true but that penalty was a bad call. If you're gonna call that holding, you could've called holding on any offensive play.

chernobylwraiths
08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
true but that penalty was a bad call. If you're gonna call that holding, you could've called holding on any offensive play.

Just trying to help you out. :D

mysticsoto
08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I dont think that correlates and Ill give you the above points though I hate the mentality of it.

But I dont see a D which ranks last in pass coverage not allowing teams to score...
We did pretty well last year in that regard. By our play alone, teams should have been killing us - and yet, most games were relatively close scorewise, if not playwise.

Another pt I want to make is relating to plays like the 1st Steeler TD...Youboty won't normally be playing against the X receiver position which seemed to be what he was doing in this play. And obviously Wilson's not our starter though he cannot absolutely let a receiver get behind him in a cover 2 system - EVER! I'm not sure if he thought he'd be fast enough to catch up or what, but regardless, I don't see this play as representative of what will normally be on the field as Youboty, if he makes the team, will likely be on the slot receiver and Wilson will be on the bench most of the time cheering on.

Another thing that disppointed me from Wilson on that play...okay, you got beat - put your head down and RAM into that receiver and jar that ball loose. That is supposed to be the safety mentality. He still seems to be adjusting to the new position and may not have it down completely...but he should have let Santonio Holmes have it and make him regret catching the ball anywhere close to him!!!

billsburgh
08-15-2008, 12:32 PM
you and me both. I made the trip to Buffalo with my brother in law and a friend of his, both steeler fans. was not a good trip home.

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM

You are defending Robert Royal.

I gotta tell Patti. I think it is one of her signs.

mysticsoto
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
You know what else is good about the Bills doing well (besides Op uncharacteristically praising them) ? FTP disappears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ublinkwescore
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM

And he got screwed with a bogus holding call too.

But we still turned that drive into a 97 yarder for a TD.

ublinkwescore
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM

F Soccer Moms.

PromoTheRobot
08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Funny how the question of whether JP Losman was facing the Redskins starting D never came up when discussing his performance last week.

PTR

ublinkwescore
08-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Has that ever happened before - a team finishes with more INTs than sacks?

Michael82
08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
They were the classic bend, but don't break defense that makes you want to pull your hair out. :ill: Until they shut them down in the red zone and hold the other team to a field goal or no points at all. :up:

Michael82
08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
or the idiotic drivers in Virginia and Maryland, which makes hammerbillsfan and I understand why Op is always so angry all the time. :ill:

justasportsfan
08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
or the idiotic drivers in Virginia and Maryland, which makes hammerbillsfan and I understand why Op is always so angry all the time. :ill:
VA drivers make florida rush hour look like the Autobahn. Man they suck.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Funny how the question of whether JP Losman was facing the Redskins starting D never came up when discussing his performance last week.

PTR

because, smartass, I live in the DC area and get bombarded with the Redskins. And I was watching the game with a Redskins fan. So I know who their friggin starters are. Outside of Foote and Polamalu, I don't know who Pittsburgh's starters are because I don't follow the Steelers.

OpIv37
08-15-2008, 02:20 PM

see, I don't make this **** up. It's real.

raphael120
08-15-2008, 02:29 PM
see, I don't make this **** up. It's real.

i got stuck in an hour and a half worth of traffic for a half hour drive, killing my tailgate time and warming my case of Labatts!

feelthepain
08-15-2008, 02:30 PM

Obviously honesty is only accepted and respected if it's positive honesty, otherwise the maturity level goes in the carpper!! Cause god fobid every word uttered isn't how great the Bills are.

raphael120
08-15-2008, 02:32 PM
because, smartass, I live in the DC area and get bombarded with the Redskins. And I was watching the game with a Redskins fan. So I know who their friggin starters are. Outside of Foote and Polamalu, I don't know who Pittsburgh's starters are because I don't follow the Steelers.

i dont even think the steelers know who the steelers starters are. alot of their roster, from what I understand, is in flux. Casey Hampton gained a whole lot of weight and he is being pushed by his backup, the LB situation is being worked out, their CB's stink...

Dr. Lecter
08-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Obviously honesty is only accepted and respected if it's positive honesty, otherwise the maturity level goes in the carpper!! Cause god fobid every word uttered isn't how great the Bills are.

Can you ever just shut up or start to contribute something worthwhile to this board?

Somebody like Op can be critical without being an ass or saying that wins are not a measure of how teams perform and he will even praise the Bills.

feelthepain
08-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Can you ever just shut up or start to contribute something worthwhile to this board?

Somebody like Op can be critical without being an ass or saying that wins are not a measure of how teams perform and he will even praise the Bills.

I think what I said was worth while and it's a valid statement, this board is for everyone, it's not just for Bill fans. Having an opinion isn't against the law. Not being a fan of the Bills is not a reason to believe my opinion is any less valid. I use facts in my posts, I don't simply post hate. Your response, is the epitome of my point. If anyone doesn't say something positive about the Bills your response is what can be expected. Plain and simple.

Why don't I contribute? You mean like this? Post #11

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2550478#post2550478

Why don't you do a little research before you so blindly accuse? Obviously I do post to contribute, and before you so rudly accused me of something that wasn't true. My point was unlees every word I write is positive, some fans here are allowed ro hijack threads with insults rather then good honest football talk. Last I checked it wasn't a crime to point out a few facts.

Mr. Pink
08-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Op, like I've said before always love your analysis of the team and games. Spot on as usual. Bravo.

To elaborate a little bit though, as pointed out earlier in this thread, it looks like we're gonna be seeing the game defense we've seen for the past couple years. Different names, different faces, same results. Bend but don't break.

Now if we can create a few turnovers forcing teams to go on long drives to score, great. Like the Whitner pick, for example. Or if we can hold them to FGs, that's great too. But when they go on long drives and punch it in the endzone, that's a problem.

We're going to have to see a few drives a game like the two Trent engineered last night, time consuming, lengthy TD drives. If we can play 2/3s of the season like we did last night, we should be in good shape.

I hate being overly optimistic about the team based on one preseason game but somehow I'm letting it happen. I still don't think we're a playoff team though based on how brutal the rest of the AFC is but I think we can stay competitive in almost if not all of our games this year.

acehole
08-15-2008, 09:09 PM
F Soccer Moms.

I do every night.

mysticsoto
08-15-2008, 10:01 PM

He only posted b'cse I called him out in my post - though he likes to pretend that he has me on ignore...it is clear that he doesn't!!!