PDA

View Full Version : Highlights crack me up

Bruce is Loose
08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Watching ESPN Mike n Mike's ESPN update.

Cool that they did the Bills highlights, but this is what they show:
1) Big Ben long TD against our second stringers
2) Pitt fumble that went out of bounds and Spencer Johnson couldn't get in time
3) Mendenhall (spelling?) touchdown run
4) At least they showed the return TD.

But seriously - no trent to royal for two touchdowns? Not one play from our starters?

billsburgh
08-15-2008, 08:12 AM
no respect

Jan Reimers
08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
We need to win, and make the playoffs, before we can even hope that the media will give us any respect.

LtFinFan66
08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
It's preseason...does it really matter:idunno:

Jan Reimers
08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
It's preseason...does it really matter:idunno:
It does in paranoia-land, er, the BillsZone.

LtFinFan66
08-15-2008, 08:18 AM
ahhh....I see

don137
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
ESPN is not about the best sports highlights or about showing the highlights of the winning team. It is about ratings. Their are more Steeler fans across the country than Bills fans so that is why they show mostly Steeler highlights. Steelers fans want to see big Ben's TD toss not see the Bills score. All about ratings and the almighty dollar not about sports.

RedEyE
08-15-2008, 08:20 AM
I just watched it close to top of the hour. They showed Leodis TD as owning the top play of the day, Edwards to Royal, and discussed Trent and Lynch.

I thought ESPN did fine...this time.

JJamezz
08-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Whatever you do, don't watch the Fox Sports AFC East preview...

:D

bigbub2352
08-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Espn sucks alwasy has always will, they only talk about four teams Philly, NE, Dallas and NYG

yordad
08-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Whatever you do, don't watch the Fox Sports AFC East preview...

:DWhy? Do they dis us?

Mitchy moo
08-15-2008, 09:26 AM
We need to win, and make the playoffs, before we can even hope that the media will give us any respect.

In some circles, we are getting a huge amount of respect. For everyone to hop onboard, we are going to need some playoff time and a regular season to be proud of.

ddaryl
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
ESPN is not about the best sports highlights or about showing the highlights of the winning team. It is about ratings. Their are more Steeler fans across the country than Bills fans so that is why they show mostly Steeler highlights. Steelers fans want to see big Ben's TD toss not see the Bills score. All about ratings and the almighty dollar not about sports.

yep ESPN has to appease the shareholders, and that comes from suckiling on the teet of popularity 1st.

like mentioned, we will only gain that time when we have the nations attention with great play and a real playoff push

HughC
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
yep ESPN has to appease the shareholders, and that comes from suckiling on the teet of popularity 1st.

like mentioned, we will only gain that time when we have the nations attention with great play and a real playoff push
They're a publicly traded company, the result being they are slaves to ratings. They went as far as they could with quality sports information for hard core sports fans decades ago.

For a long time now they have cast a wider net to draw casual fans in. If there's an opportunity to draw viewers in through gossip and controversy, they're all over it. It's easier to produce another Brett Favre story every day than it is to produce quality analysis of the upcoming season, and the Favre story creates much bigger ratings, so it is beaten to death.

For fans on the periphery, they recognize a handful of names, which is why the media pounds us with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady stories, or in this case, mentions Ben Roethlisberger's name. The avid fan is going to watch the highlights anyways; the casual fan may not stop their channel surfing when he sees 'Buffalo Bills' or 'Pittsburgh Steelers' but they are more likely to stop when they see a name they recognize (such as Roethlisburger.)

Do I want the media focus the Jets will receive this year? No thanks. Leave the focus on stars to ESPN, MTV, and E!. I'll be happy with an improved team that nobody else notices.