08-16-2008, 07:58 AM
I'll just give you the top 3.

3. Tom Brady
2. John Elway
1. Joe Montana

I have to agree!

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:01 AM
I don't know where Troy Aikman is on the list, but he should be ranked very high, ahead of Elway IMO.

I think I remember Dallas losing one really big game when Aikman was QB, the year SF won the SB with Young; but that may be it.

mybills
08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
He didn't make the list.

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Maybe not.

I just looked up his playoff numbers; career-wise they're actually not really that good.

mybills
08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
It's also "clutch" QB's, not just good QB's.

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Winning 3 Super Bowls I thought his stats would be "clutch". But they're really not.

Who else was on the list?

mybills
08-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Johnny U, Marino, some from the 60's

bledslow
08-16-2008, 02:00 PM
JOHN ELWAY???? Reallyyyyy??? that guy was a interception machine the majority of his career,with an even worst pcp%.... The only reason that team went to its first 3 superbowls with elway was because of the terrible afc to begin wih,if they were in the nfc,they get crushed in the first round(or not even make the playoffs to begin with). So overrated--- Montana and brady are interchangable,even though montana has lost playoff games by huge scores wih him as the starter.

Owen DeBoard
08-16-2008, 04:59 PM
JOHN ELWAY???? Reallyyyyy??? that guy was a interception machine the majority of his career,with an even worst pcp%.... The only reason that team went to its first 3 superbowls with elway was because of the terrible afc to begin wih,if they were in the nfc,they get crushed in the first round(or not even make the playoffs to begin with). So overrated--- Montana and brady are interchangable,even though montana has lost playoff games by huge scores wih him as the starter.
You are have to remember that he is the all time leader in come from behind wins too.

mybills
08-17-2008, 06:55 AM
You might be over analyzing this. He had a knack for getting away from being sacked. Many of them fell into this category by converting a 3rd down that should've been a punt. Elway did that a lot.

Night Train
08-17-2008, 10:51 AM
What about Otto Graham from the old Cleveland Brown days.

He played 10 years and took his team to the Championship all 10 years, winning 7 of them. Uber clutch.

In my 40 + years of watching football, Montana immediately come to mind. So does Roger Staubach.

Mitchy moo
08-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I have to add Jimbo in here, if had the ball with a few minutes on the clock we we're scoring somehow. He may not be the greatest but in the past 20 years he would make the top 5.

TacklingDummy
08-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Jim Kelly on the list? :snicker:

gr8slayer
08-17-2008, 03:10 PM
I have to add Jimbo in here, if had the ball with a few minutes on the clock we we're scoring somehow. He may not be the greatest but in the past 20 years he would make the top 5.
Why would Kelly be on the list? The guy was a loser, he had four chances and couldn't hack it when it counted.

HughC
08-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Why would Kelly be on the list? The guy was a loser, he had four chances and couldn't hack it when it counted.
The question was 'who was the most clutch', not who was a member of the most Super Bowl winning teams. Kelly (and Elway) led their teams to wins with many clutch performances; their Super Bowl losses were due to the overall inferiority of the entire team in comparison to the teams they lost to - and not their inabilty to deliver in the clutch.

Football is the ultimate team game. The performance of one single player, even a quarterback, has less effect on the outcome than the most important player in any other team sport. To say "he had four chances and couldn't hack it", my question is who could be substituted for Kelly and would have won those games? Would Johnny Unitas have beaten the Redskins? Would Joe Montana have benn able to come in and defeated the Cowboys? In the rematch, had Joe Namath been the QB and guaranteed a victory, would the Bills have won? No, no, and no.

I don't know that I would say Kelly is a top 5 of all time clutch QB, but he is worth consideration. There were many clutch performances that had to happen in order for the team to be in position to make the playoffs, win the division, and win playoff games before they ever got to the Super Bowl - and face a team from a conference that was at that time better than the AFC.

The Spaz
08-18-2008, 06:28 AM

The HOF disagrees...

BlackMetalNinja
08-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Moving to NFL Zone...