PDA

View Full Version : Just my feeling about Peters

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:23 AM
This is not a report. There are no sources here. THere are no links. There is no anything other than my personal opinion based on a hunch I guess.

But I think you may see Jason Peters report around the end of next week. To me, that's around the time I see him reporting.

The BIlls break camp on Wednesday. Perhaps out of frustration over his contract (blame you're old agent, pal) he decided to not partake in training camp.

But I can't see him start missing game checks in week #1. I think for the Bills to put him on the roster for Week #1 in his normal starting role; he's got to be practicing with the team for about two weeks; which would put his arrival around next THursday/Friday.

Maybe he'll agree to report and play this year at his current salary if the Bills agree to drop the fines levied against him to this point.

Since he feels so underpaid and as we all know the NFL is more than just the 16 week season; maybe he feels that by skipping the OTAs', Mandatory Mini and basically all of training camp--- Maybe he feels if he's only getting $3.25 million or whatever his salary for this year is, he's only going to give the club his effort and participation for the season.

For the record, if so this is a strategy for Peters I do NOT agree with. SO don't shoot the messenger. I'm just thinking that this could possibly be what's going through Peters head right now, because I think he knows he's not getting a new deal this year. So he'll wait til after camp breaks.

Again, not a report.. It's 100% opinion

Dr. Lecter
08-16-2008, 08:26 AM
I've been telling people that basic idea all week. He'll report when camp is over. I also agree he needs to report by then so he can play (and be productive) in week 1.

He'll play the last pre-season game. I would guess he'll get an half (or close to it) and play with the 2nd team as well since the starters will get a quarter at most.

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
well the theory is just PURE opinion, but what I can tell you for fact is that Russ Brandon has been saying a lot more recently that Peters will play this year on the current contract. There is next to a 0% chance they are ripping up his contract and giving him a new one this season whether he reports or not.

Lee Evans is clearly #1 on his priority list right now, there's no doubt about that.

mayotm
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
He won't miss any regular season time due to his holdout. I've stated that since the beginning of this ordeal. That's why I haven't spent my entire summer being hot and bothered about it. Bottom line, he will be the starting LT on September 7th.

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:32 AM
He won't miss any regular season time due to his holdout. I've stated that since the beginning of this ordeal. That's why I haven't spent my entire summer being hot and bothered about it. Bottom line, he will be the starting LT on September 7th.
I don't think the Bills are as confident about that as you are.

If they were, I don't think they'd bother having Walker practice and play in games at left tackle. In my opinion, if OBD was confident Peters will be here for September 7 they'd leave Walker on the right side so he could get his work in there, and just leave Chambers on the left side since he obviously wouldn't be starting there when the games count.

I think the Bills are just as perplexed as the rest of us and are as uncertain as the rest of us, hence the reason for Walker moving to the left.

Dr. Lecter
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
If he does report late this week, the Bills should change his jersey number to 78.

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:35 AM
If he does report late this week, the Bills should change his jersey number to 78.
hahhaah.. True

It does sound Bruce'ish, doesn't it?

mayotm
08-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't think the Bills are as confident about that as you are.

If they were, I don't think they'd bother having Walker practice and play in games at left tackle. In my opinion, if OBD was confident Peters will be here for September 7 they'd leave Walker on the right side so he could get his work in there, and just leave Chambers on the left side since he obviously wouldn't be starting there when the games count.

I think the Bills are just as perplexed as the rest of us and are as uncertain as the rest of us, hence the reason for Walker moving to the left.At this point, Walker would be the LT if Peters got hurt. So I really don't think it's that odd that they moved Walker. They do need to protect Edwards with the best LT available.

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Good point.

Saratoga Slim
08-16-2008, 09:05 AM
It would really be a perfect ending if Peters reports at the end of this week. Benefits:

1. Peters is back and has two weeks and a preseason game with the team to get back up to speed. LT is once again a position of strength, and the whole OL benefits.

2. The Bills' front office succeeds in sending a strong message to all the players on the roster (and agents league-wide) that holdout tactics of this sort will not work--even if you're the best player on the team. Thus it becomes much less likely that a situation like this happens again. In this regard, one could argue that if Peters reports soon, his holdout has perhaps served the team well in the long term.

3. From Peters' perspective, as Pat states above, he can take at least a little bit of personal satisfaction in knowing that the salary he's being paid for this year, while low for a full year's work, is pretty good for the pro-rated portion of the calendar year in which he's going to actually be working with the team.

mayotm
08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
It would really be a perfect ending if Peters reports at the end of this week. Benefits:

1. Peters is back and has two weeks and a preseason game with the team to get back up to speed. LT is once again a position of strength, and the whole OL benefits.
2. The Bills' front office succeeds in sending a message to all the players on the roster (and agents league-wide) that holdout tactics of this sort will not work. Thus it becomes much less likely that a situation like this happens again.
3. From Peters' perspective, as Pat states above, he can take at least a little bit of personal satisfaction in knowing that the salary he's being paid for this year, while low for a full year's work, is pretty good for the pro-rated portion of the calendar year in which he's going to actually be working with the team.I'll add :

4. They can open preliminary discussions on a new contract for next year. I.E. make the pro-bowl again and we'll get something done.

patmoran2006
08-16-2008, 09:14 AM

2. The Bills' front office succeeds in sending a strong message to all the players on the roster (and agents league-wide) that holdout tactics of this sort will not work--even if you're the best player on the team. Thus it becomes much less likely that a situation like this happens again. In this regard, one could argue that if Peters reports soon, his holdout has perhaps served the team well in the long term.

3. From Peters' perspective, as Pat states above, he can take at least a little bit of personal satisfaction in knowing that the salary he's being paid for this year, while low for a full year's work, is pretty good for the pro-rated portion of the calendar year in which he's going to actually be working with the team.
Thanks because you used the word I should've when describing my opinion.

"pro-rated."

By not "working" the past few weeks and OTAs and all that stuff, maybe he feels he's giving the BIlls their money worth.

Again, just my opinion on his thought process, and at this point, I really don't give a **** if I'm right or wrong as long as he's in uniform vs Seattle.

-Brandon-
08-16-2008, 09:25 AM
well the theory is just PURE opinion, but what I can tell you for fact is that Russ Brandon has been saying a lot more recently that Peters will play this year on the current contract. There is next to a 0% chance they are ripping up his contract and giving him a new one this season whether he reports or not.

Lee Evans is clearly #1 on his priority list right now, there's no doubt about that.

He sure as hell be #1 on that list.

VeggieMan14
08-16-2008, 09:28 AM
i say we sign bigfoot up they just discovered him in georgia he would be a beast at left tackle

yordad
08-16-2008, 09:38 AM
My prediction was, and is, the 25th through the 28th.

HHURRICANE
08-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Pat, great thread.

Peters reports but sends a message that he is unhappy and the contract needs to be reworked. He can always say that he'll sit all of 2009 if it's not resolved in 2008.

He certainly created some publicity for himself which should help in his negotiations. Peters deal wouldn't have been discussed had he not sat out.

Goobylal
08-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree that he'll report after training camp breaks. He's held-out this long, why bother showing up to the last few days of camp?

As for not missing any games, he won't. Reportedly if he misses even just the first game, the Bills can go after his $5M signing bonus. That along with the $400K in fines and losing a $190K a game are all the deterrent the Bills need.

As for waiving the fines, I think it would show good faith in the face of not giving him a new deal.

Romes
08-16-2008, 10:11 AM
If the Bills offense has a similar game against the Colts. I'd expect Peters to report shortly after that.

HHURRICANE
08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
If the Bills offense has a similar game against the Colts. I'd expect Peters to report shortly after that.

I don't want to be negative but the Bills offensive line is a joke with Chambers on the field.

Peters is not going to be influenced by how well the line plays in pre-season games.

Romes
08-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Peters is not going to be influenced by how well the line plays in pre-season games.

Why not? Its his only chance to evaluate what the offense would look like without him.

What do you think he'll be influenced by?

trapezeus
08-16-2008, 12:22 PM
does anyone think that Peters gets the playbook info from any of his OL pals. So he actually has an idea of what the calls are and what not? or do you think he's totally cold turkey from bills football. I have no opinion, but it'd be real nice if walker was swinging by with an email or visit showing him what they're working on.