PDA

View Full Version : Pennington, Ginn, Defense stepping up

!Papacrunk!
08-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Since Mysticsoto said in a previous thread that it's up to Phin fans to report the good news since he may be more inclined to post the negative :) here's some recent articles from the past exhibition game:

Dolphins ride quick start, stout defense (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins17sbaug17,0,2370032.story?track=rss)

During Saturday night's 19-14 exhibition win over Jacksonville, it was Jaguars (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/football/jacksonville-jaguars-ORSPT000180.topic) fans that watched their team get slaughtered in the first half as the starters from North Florida's playoff team got manhandled by the rebuilding Dolphins at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.
The Dolphins scored on three of their five first-half possessions. The Dolphins doubled Jacksonville's first-half yardage total (179-87) and dominated time of possession. And the Dolphins stifled the Jaguars normally dominant running game, holding Fred Taylor (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/football/fred-taylor-PESPT008429.topic) and Maurice Jones-Drew (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/football/maurice-jones-drew-PESPT008487.topic) to 29 first-half yards and Jacksonville to 42 total rushing yards.

That's right, a week after putting together a lackadaisical showing in a 17-6 exhibition loss to Tampa Bay, the Dolphins easily handled their other Florida foe, showing off a ball-control offense.
GAME CAP (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=280816030&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Pennington, cut by the New York Jets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyj) to make room for Brett Favre (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=1025), was 5-for-6 passing for 55 yards.
"We're starting to gain a little confidence now," Pennington said. "We just need to keep working on that and realize that we've won a preseason game. It's good in some ways but in others it doesn't mean anything."
Pennington added two nifty scrambles totaling 18 yards, putting Miami ahead 10-0 after his only three drives. Pennington may not be known for his running ability, but first-year coach Tony Sparano liked what he saw out of his new quarterback.

Pennington, still learning much of the Dolphins' offense, seemed more comfortable.
After Miami scored only 6 points in the preseason opener against Tampa Bay without him, the new quarterback injected some life into what's been a bland Dolphins offense. Pennington connected on passes of 22 and 17 yards to second-year receiver Ted Ginn Jr. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10453)
The 32-year-old Pennington, expected to be the starting quarterback, agreed to a deal last week worth $11.5 million over two years. The Dolphins are hoping Pennington can serve as a bridge to rookie Chad Henne (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=8834) and be a mentor.
"He's a leader," said Dolphins left tackle Jake Long (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11234), the No. 1 pick in this year's draft. "He came in last week and picked up the playbook in two days maybe. He became a leader on offense in the first day."

Dolphin's Ginn lives up to billing (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolnb17sbaug17,0,5096166.story?page=1)

JACKSONVILLE - Maybe speedy receiver Ted Ginn Jr., didn't live up to his draft status last year because he didn't have a quarterback named Chad throwing him the ball.

Ginn, who was drafted ninth overall by the previous regime last year, displayed the go-to-skills of a true number one receiver as he hauled in four catches for 58 yards in the first half.

The 5-foot-11, slightly built Ginn fearlessly darted across the middle where headhunting defensive backs prowl, and made lunging grabs of 22 and 17 yards to help make quarterback Chad Pennington's Dolphins' debut a rousing hit. In the second quarter, Ginn grabbed a pass in the flat from rookie Chad Henne and darted for 12 yards.

"How about them Chads?'' Ginn joked. "We had a game plan and we executed it. It was a great atmosphere. I'll just continue to play hard, play fast and just have fun.''
Ginn, who has been criticized for his inability to create separation, was toasting Jags cornerback Rashean Mathis on a regular basis. He nearly had a 43-yarder down the sideline on a perfect back-shoulder lob from Henne, but he juggled it and was ruled out of bounds. Coach Tony Sparano tossed his first challenge flag, but the call was upheld.

After the game, Ginn was adamant that he had possession of the ball before going out of bounds.

feelthepain
08-17-2008, 01:05 PM
How bout that, the Dolphins go into Jacksonville and shut them out for 3.5 qtrs, and Bill fans have nothing to say. Well, had we lost 20-3 you know there would be a thread on the main board for everyone to enjoy, Typical.

LtFinFan66
08-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Please keep this thread smack free please. Thank you

Confused
08-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Its only the preseason. The Jags will prolly beat us and the Dolphags. Its only preseason. Its only preseason.

LtFinFan66
08-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Its only the preseason. The Jags will prolly beat us and the Dolphags. Its only preseason. Its only preseason.unless it's you guys performing well against the Steelers right:idunno:

:snicker:

Bling
08-18-2008, 12:37 AM
unless it's you guys performing well against the Steelers right:idunno:

I know! :shakeno:

Buffalogic
08-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Why is this here?

LtFinFan66
08-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Uhhh....it's the NFL Zone

Buffalogic
08-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Makes sense.

LtFinFan66
08-18-2008, 05:06 AM
:up:

jmb1099
08-18-2008, 07:12 AM
You guys had a good outing so congrats. You needed to see some improvement in order to enjoy the season. Pennington will make Ginn a factor and that can only be a good thing. However the cries for validation from Bills fan's seems a little metro-sexual if you ask me.:D:

mayotm
08-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Shocking. On a Bills fan site, there aren't a bunch of positive posts about our most hated rival having a solid pre-season performance. I'm sure there are hundreds of posts on finheaven about how great the Bills are. It's amazing that some of you Dolphin fans (especially FTP) don't get it.

mysticsoto
08-18-2008, 07:33 AM
How bout that, the Dolphins go into Jacksonville and shut them out for 3.5 qtrs, and Bill fans have nothing to say. Well, had we lost 20-3 you know there would be a thread on the main board for everyone to enjoy, Typical.

How bout that? FTP being hypocritical...if the Bills do well in preseason, it's just preseason. If the Fins do well, shoot...every Bill fan should be talking about it on a Bills site. Talk about being completely clueless!!!

feelthepain
08-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I guess as long as the Dolphins suck, you can talk about them, but when they don't suck you have nothing to say, real mature.

RockStar36
08-18-2008, 11:34 AM
unless it's you guys performing well against the Steelers right:idunno:

Last time I checked this is a BILLS message board. I would think if you want to read good Dolphins stuff there might be a site out there for that. Otherwise, expect mostly Dolphins bashing here. It's called being a homer.

LtFinFan66
08-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Last time I checked this is a BILLS message board. I would think if you want to read good Dolphins stuff there might be a site out there for that. Otherwise, expect mostly Dolphins bashing here. It's called being a homer.sorry, that doesn't fly. Preseason is preseason no matter what. You can't only use it when it suits you

RockStar36
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
sorry, that doesn't fly. Preseason is preseason no matter what. You can't only use it when it suits you

I realize that. I was expressing the general sentiment of the board. Every team board is like that.

LtFinFan66
08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
I just felt like arguing with you

RockStar36
08-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I figured as much.

feelthepain
08-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Last time I checked this is a BILLS message board. I would think if you want to read good Dolphins stuff there might be a site out there for that. Otherwise, expect mostly Dolphins bashing here. It's called being a homer.

Sounds like an excuse.

Bling
08-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Sounds like an excuse.

:rofl:

You're hilarious dude!

mysticsoto
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I guess as long as the Dolphins suck, you can talk about them, but when they don't suck you have nothing to say, real mature.

Wow...1 preseason game and all of a sudden FTP think his Dolphins are great. What a surprise. FTP has homer blinders - like no one has ever realized that here before...

RockStar36
08-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Sounds like an excuse.

Uh...what?

I was actually being completely honest and not making excuses.

feelthepain
08-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Uh...what?

I was actually being completely honest and not making excuses.

I could care less how serious you were being, it sounds like an excuse. Rather then saying this site would be better if they actually talked like adults about the sport, you make excuses as to why the immaturity is more acceptable. How about Mods stepping up and telling the immature Bill fans that taking over threads with constant personal insults and telling them to knock it off or else, they are simply ignored and allowed to ruin threads. I'm a Mod on Finheaven and I won't allow any name calling....period. No member is allowed to insult another, not matter which team they root for. But not here, if you're a Bill fan you can say whatever you like while everyone else is only allowed to post pleasant thoughts about the Bills....why? Cause this is a Bills board? That's just an excuse plain and simple.

RockStar36
08-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I could care less how serious you were being, it sounds like an excuse. Rather then saying this site would be better if they actually talked like adults about the sport, you make excuses as to why the immaturity is more acceptable. How about Mods stepping up and telling the immature Bill fans that taking over threads with constant personal insults and telling them to knock it off or else, they are simply ignored and allowed to ruin threads. I'm a Mod on Finheaven and I won't allow any name calling....period. No member is allowed to insult another, not matter which team they root for. But not here, if you're a Bill fan you can say whatever you like while everyone else is only allowed to post pleasant thoughts about the Bills....why? Cause this is a Bills board? That's just an excuse plain and simple.

You are so full of ****. I can name so many people who have been banned from Fin Heaven (including me) for doing nothing more than rooting for another team. Maybe you can try your BS someplace else because it isn't going to work here. As for immature fans, talk about the throwing stones in a glass house.

mysticsoto
08-19-2008, 05:29 AM

This is hilarious...FTP now thinks he is 'holier than thou' because he's a mod at FH. From what I gather, that is one of the worst MB. You can't even post anything negative against the Fins or you'll get banned instantly. Yeah, that's a mature site...one that many members left to form another board and now the two are feuding...real mature!

yordad
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I guess as long as the Dolphins suck, you can talk about them, but when they don't suck you have nothing to say, real mature.Let me help... It--Was--Preseason.

sorry, that doesn't fly. Preseason is preseason no matter what. You can't only use it when it suits youSure I can. :dance:

Mitchell55
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Dude please. Buffalo beat Pittsburgh 14-0 against there starters. Pittsbughs only 1st team TD came against our backups. They also played with both starting LBs throughout the whole game.

Mitchell55
08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
FTP. I did this last year and im doing it again. Here is the position to position comparison with the Phins and Buffalo.

QB- =
RB- Buf
FB- Buf
WR- Buf
TE- Mia
OL- Buf
DL- Buf
LB- Buf
DB- Buf
ST- BUF

With you always saying stuff about stats, this is the next best thing. How about you try. Id like to see yours.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
that 22 yarder from Chad to Ginn was a beautiful HAIL MAry

Oaf
08-19-2008, 02:19 PM
How bout that, the Dolphins go into Jacksonville and shut them out for 3.5 qtrs, and Bill fans have nothing to say. Well, had we lost 20-3 you know there would be a thread on the main board for everyone to enjoy, Typical. This is true. We do read a LOT more into our Steelers win than we read in to your equally impressive Jags win. I think the longer it takes for Henne to start for you, the better it is for us. I also think Cameron is the next Welker. I also think Sparano is done in 3 years or less. I also think you guys shouldn't of let go of Samkon Gado. I also find it peculiar that Garrard struggled against you guys. I also thought the Jags 2nd team O was pitfullly bad. I am also interested in the fates of McCown and Beck. What do you finnies think about all this?

Overall, we needed to see improvement and we finally saw it. We're happy.
You needed to see a win, you finally saw it. You're happy. We are not happy you are happy. ok?

Mike13
08-19-2008, 04:19 PM

So I cant come here and expect an intelligent discussion about the Dolphins?

Oaf
08-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Unlikely, but I would like to talk about the stuff I mentioned in my previous post.

LtFinFan66
08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Dude please. Buffalo beat Pittsburgh 14-0 against there starters. Pittsbughs only 1st team TD came against our backups. They also played with both starting LBs throughout the whole game.And we beat the starters 10-0 or 13-0 and their only points came late in the 4th against our last guys. So what was your point here?

Mitchell55
08-19-2008, 07:14 PM
And we beat the starters 10-0 or 13-0 and their only points came late in the 4th against our last guys. So what was your point here?

Just making conversation.