• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

TBN: McKelvin turns into nice problem

Cornerback Leodis McKelvin is all of two preseason games into his NFL career and already the electricity surges. He nearly broke a punt return for a touchdown in the opener against the Redskins. He bolted 95 yards untouched with a kickoff against the Steelers. The Buffalo Bills knew they were getting a dangerous return man in the package when they made McKelvin their first pick in the April draft. However, no one could have guessed his impact would be this immediate and emphatic.
    But there are two pleasant problems in looking ahead to the regular season, and their names are Terrence McGee and Roscoe Parrish.
    How can the Bills in good conscience demote McGee from his role as primary kick returner given his five career returns for touchdowns? And how can they tell Parrish to take a seat on punt returns after his league-leading 16.3 average of a year ago and his two career TD returns? They can’t, at least not at the outset.
    “The two guys that are returning for us, Terrence and Roscoe, it’s pretty hard to say they’re not the top guys,” assistant head coach and special teams coach Bobby April said after the Steelers game. “They’ve had tremendous years here but he’s definitely making a statement. I mean, what can you say. This kid, that’s two weeks in a row. He almost had one last week which would have been unbelievable for his first two games to break ’em. We’re really blessed. We got three really good guys.”
    McKelvin’s exploits have done more than inform McGee and Parrish that they best not take their return chores for granted. His impressive showings have instilled the Bills’ revamped return units with a renewed sense of confidence. The team sustained heavy special teams losses during the offseason. Mainstays such as Josh Stamer, Mario Haggan, Sam Aiken, Coy Wire and Ryan Neufeld were replaced with players the Bills felt could contribute more at their natural positions. For instance, Paul Posluszny’s return from injury and the acquisition of free agent Kawika Mitchell fortified the linebacker position to where neither Stamer nor Haggan could be retained based solely on their special teams expertise.
    “The guys that we lost, we really had to make a decision for the whole program because I’m loyal to those guys that we lost,” April said. “They spilled their guts for four years.
    “There were people who would make our whole football team better that we needed to keep here to replace those guys . . . Even though it’s tough to lose a Haggans or a Stamer, I felt good about what we were doing.”
    All the changes mean the preseason has taken on heightened importance in regard to the special teams units. The results have become more meaningful as the retooled units strive to live up to the high standards first established during the Marv Levy era and fully embraced during April’s tenure.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/417370.html
  • DrGraves
    • Mar 2008

Re: TBN: McKelvin turns into nice problem

I'm glad hes a great return man, but him playing well on defense is much more essential to the bills success this year since we already a good return game in mcgee and parrish.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DrGraves
      I'm glad hes a great return man, but him playing well on defense is much more essential to the bills success this year since we already a good return game in mcgee and parrish.
      He didn't just go past the Steelers coverage, he embarrassed it. Rewatch the video of it, he was 50 feet from the closest opponent. That type of speed needs to be utilized anytime it's available. It will force teams to rethink about punting long distances and give us much more favorable starting positions. Our opponents will realize that outkicking their coverage is going to get them cooked.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

personally, i like that he'll probably be a nickel back with ST on his resume. it shows that the bills CB's last year weren't that god awful. it was really a function of poor pressure. I think with more pressure and ability to stop the run, we're going to get better production from Mcgee and greer.

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

well, at least the kicker touched Leodis

Great article...I am so torn. I must be the biggest McGee supporter on this site..I am torn.
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

I'd like to see it done a couple more times before I'm completely convinced, but so far so very good.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by yordad
              I'd like to see it done a couple more times before I'm completely convinced, but so far so very good.
              It's hard to hide fast.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mybills
                well, at least the kicker touched Leodis

Great article...I am so torn. I must be the biggest McGee supporter on this site..I am torn.
                With Josh Reed yet again on the bubble, and Parrish getting an extension, I would have McKelvin start at PR.

Or at the very least rotate McKelvin in for McGee or Parrish every so often, I dont see harm in that.

If you wont let the guy return, get him off ST all together and let him focus on the learning curve associated with CB. Randy Moss aint going anywhere soon.

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EdwardsEra

at the very least rotate McKelvin in for McGee or Parrish every so often, I dont see harm in that.
                  I'd be fine with this!
                  I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• DrGraves
                    • Mar 2008

i agree he is awesome. but if we have no one playing defense hes going to be returning alot of kickoffs every game...

Comment

• VeggieMan14
                      • Jan 2008

if only he had a kick ass name like usain bolt
                      I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

Working...
                      X