PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the Number 3 QB

Wally The Barber
08-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Would you prefer to go with Gab Hamden

or

Sign a veteran that could learn the Bills offense in 2008 then take over #2 next season?

Some of you wanted Leftwich, yet I was not impressed with him against the Bills.

THE SLAMMER

Wally The Barber
08-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Sorry, I guess we won't be needing a backup next year!

DrGraves
08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
i think this is the least of our concerns right now.

mysticsoto
08-19-2008, 05:45 AM
I think we keep Hamdam as #3 this year b'cse he has more experience with our team (the calls, etc). But Baker has shown potential and should be put in the PS for next year. Then let both of them battle it out for #2 in '09 and draft a raw candidate with potential to put on the PS next year.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
08-19-2008, 07:40 AM
I would bet that next year's #2 is not currently on our roster.

It probably depends on how durable Edwards is this year though.

I don't know who it will be, but I don't think the two young guys we have are going to be ready to go as a starter.

The reality is that in the NFL, you will most likely need your backup QB to start a couple of games, and you can't rest your hopes on someone you don't have faith in.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
We need to draft a backup.

mysticsoto
08-19-2008, 07:59 AM
We need to draft a backup.

How is a draftee going to be more ready than either of our current QBs who already know the calls and are getting to know the offensive scheme of this team?

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 08:36 AM
How is a draftee going to be more ready than either of our current QBs who already know the calls and are getting to know the offensive scheme of this team?
a rookie isn't gonna do squat unless he's another Trent. We can draft one and make him a no.3 at first just like we did with Trent.

We can grab Farve next year after he ritires and then ask for reinstatement ,again.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 08:54 AM

Do you feel good about our current backup list?

The backup's job is to come in and not lose us some games while the starter is recovering from whatever.

Is Hamden, Baker, or JP going to do that for us?

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 09:05 AM

I do. We do have the best back up qb for this team.

RockStar36
08-19-2008, 09:06 AM
We should go into this season with two QB's and worry about the backup for next year when next year gets here.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
We should go into this season with two QB's and worry about the backup for next year when next year gets here.
exactly. Let next year take care of itself. We have this season to worry about .

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
exactly. Let next year take care of itself. We have this season to worry about .

Well we agree here.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Well we agree here.
what don't we agree on?

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm more worried about the ability of our #1 to handle the offense.

Wally The Barber
08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm more worried about the ability of our #1 to handle the offense.

I am not concerned at all.

We have a decent backup in Losman but that situation COULD change at any time.

Some fans believe Losman will just sit on the bench this year and quietly move on next year but there is still a chance some starting QB may suffer a season ending injury and the Bills may receive a decent offer and move him.

That would leave us with a below average backup.

My advice is to watch the final 53 roster date, you may be surprised.

mysticsoto
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM

The backup's job is to come in and not lose us some games while the starter is recovering from whatever.

Is Hamden, Baker, or JP going to do that for us?

JP makes for a good backup. If you're expecting excellence at #2, look around the league and tell me what you see.

Hamdan and Baker deserve a chance to develop like any other. Baker has a good arm. If he can learn the calls and overall offense, he might actually make a good #2 next year. Hamdan remains to be seen if he'll get better or not.

Regardless, a rookie isn't going to come in and light anything up...

RockStar36
08-19-2008, 09:59 AM
The Bills aren't trading Losman this year. If they were going to do that, they would've done it already. They wouldn't have had him go through the OTA's, TC, and the pre-season if they planned on moving him.

Also, I don't see any team being desperate enough to offer something substantial for Losman when they know he will be a UFA next off-season. Culpepper is still a FA so that will be a factor as well.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 10:25 AM
JP makes for a good backup. If you're expecting excellence at #2, look around the league and tell me what you see.

I agree to a point.

I think there are only 2 kinds of backups. Guys that can develop into starters ie, Matt Schaub, Tony Romo, Brady Quinn, etc. or guys that are students of the game, very smart, that make few mistakes.

JP, is neither. Don't get me wrong, he's our backup this year no matter what but I think we can do alot better next year.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree to a point.

I think there are only 2 kinds of backups. Guys that can develop into starters ie, Matt Schaub, Tony Romo, Brady Quinn, etc. or guys that are students of the game, very smart, that make few mistakes.

JP, is neither. Don't get me wrong, he's our backup this year no matter what but I think we can do alot better next year.
here we go again. Even Trent would've failed here without weapons or OL.YOu'd be saying he's not smart, etc etc, he would be struggling if he didn't have an OL or weapons.

JP is the best back up for the team. He's the only qb in the league that has proven chemistry with Lee, Parrish and Reed. Granted that some qb can eventually gain that chemistry , lets go with whats proven. JP to Lee .

RockStar36
08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I agree to a point.

So which category does Matt Cassel, Jim Sorgi, Rex Grossman, AJ Feeley, Mark Brunnel, and Gus Frerotte belong to?

Oaf
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
It would be nice to know what we had in terms of passing offense after JP and Trent.. We won't find out unless we try using the 2nd half of preseason games by attempting more than two passes.

That said, Slammer, I do think we need a vet behind JP. Who's available? PS and cut the others, because if JP and Trent go down, might as well put Roscoe back there and call it a year.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
So which category does Matt Cassel, Jim Sorgi, Rex Grossman, AJ Feeley, Mark Brunnel, and Gus Frerotte belong to?

There are some names on there that I would take over JP in a heart beat.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
There are some names on there that I would take over JP in a heart beat.
Lee , Reed and Parrish wouldn't take any of those over JP.

HughC
08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I question whether or not an experienced vet would be any better Hamden at this point. Throwing a vet in without the benefit of OTA's, training camp, getting reps with the team, and a short amount of time to learn the playbook would make him probably no better of an option than Hamden. Besides, any team that has to rely on their #3 QB to play for an extended amount of time is hosed anyways.