PDA

View Full Version : Dockery: Peters to report soon

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 08:06 AM
LATEST BILLS NEWS
Tuesday August 19, 2008

Peters Getting Ready To Report? The Bills continue to have little or no contact officially with holdout tackle Jason Peters. WGR is reporting that Derrick Dockery has been communicating with Peters through text messages. Dockery said he thinks Peters will report soon.

http://billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#081908

clumping platelets
08-19-2008, 08:13 AM
He'll report Friday

HHURRICANE
I think Peters will report.

As I said before he is sending a strong message to the Bills by sitting out. I think it took them a little off guard and it shows that he is going to do what is necessary to get paid.

I actually think he did the right thing here. Now if he doesn't report I'll think he's a total idiot.

Dr. Lecter
I have said it before:

Change his jersey number to 78.

mayotm
08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
He'll report FridayI'll go with the Tuesday assuming the Bills have off on Monday after the Colts game.

clumping platelets
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Bills close camp tomorrow.........he decided to skip TC

OpIv37
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
well it's nothing concrete but it's the first sign that this crap may finally be ending.

Michael82
08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
I have said it before:

:rofl: Good point! This whole thing smells exactly like what Bruce used to do.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 08:22 AM
:rofl: Good point! This whole thing smells exactly like what Bruce used to do.

He then switched to the hammy is hurting excuse, it worked like a charm.

Italian Stallion
08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
As long as Peters comes back healthy and ready to go, I could care less if he skipped camp.

My cheif concern is Patrick Kerney and the solid seattle DE's. He needs to be in the starting lineup on Sept 7th, that's all that really matters.

Now maybe if he has another great start to the season, Russ will throw some money his way at the bye week or something

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Peters is sending a message to the FO. That's all. It put's him up on the list before the Bills do something stupid and pay DiGorgio 6 million a year.

Evans was the priority this year, so he wants to make sure he's next.

Peters is the best player on the team. If you listen to the media many think that he is the best LT in the League.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Peters is sending a message to the FO. That's all. It put's him up on the list before the Bills do something stupid and pay DiGorgio 6 million a year.

Evans was the priority this year, so he wants to make sure he's next.

Peters is the best player on the team. If you listen to the media many think that he is the best LT in the League.

We got the message allright, he's ungrateful.

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
He didn't need camp anyway, just be ready for week one.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
We got the message allright, he's ungrateful.

C'mon dude. He's worth a hell of alot more than 3 million a year. It's not like this organization is known for it's generosity. Is Evans signed yet??

How many great players have the Bills let walk?? Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield. These guys are still playing. How much better would have this team been had we signed them? Those contracts would look cheap now.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
C'mon dude. He's worth a hell of alot more than 3 million a year. It's not like this organization is known for it's generosity. Is Evans signed yet??

How many great players have the Bills let walk?? Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield. These guys are still playing. How much better would have this team been had we signed them? Those contracts would look cheap now.

Agreed but if you have 3 years left on your contract you just signed 2 years ago, where do you draw the line as to not set a precedence to have to pay more for every player that you sign that gets better?

HAMMER
08-19-2008, 09:44 AM

Why did he not need camp? We just installled a variation of last years offense, one that players have called much more complex than last years. His teammates have all been there getting well conditioned, sweating, lifting, doing drills but most of all building comraderie and becoming a team. All while his selfish fat ass is sitting at home on the couch eating small animals. Everyone needs to be at camp for all the reasons above.

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Why did he not need camp? We just installled a variation of last years offense, one that players have called much more complex than last years. His teammates have all been there getting well conditioned, sweating, lifting, doing drills but most of all building comraderie and becoming a team. All while his selfish fat ass is sitting at home on the couch eating small animals. Everyone needs to be at camp for all the reasons above.
In theory sure, but Peters is the last person I'm worried about being there. He'll be fine.

Michael82
08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Sorry but I disagree. The guy had offseason surgery and should have been on a strict conditioning program to help make sure he is 100%. What he did was selfish and makes him a piece of ****, IMO.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry but I disagree. The guy had offseason surgery and should have been on a strict conditioning program to help make sure he is 100%. What he did was selfish and makes him a piece of ****, IMO.

Ungrateful POS.

bigbub2352
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
I watched the interveiw of Derrick Dockery on Channel 2 News and Derrick was smirking and saying he thinks all will be ok and he will Report soon,

I think he will report, and get signed 2 days after and this will all be a bad memory

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I watched the interveiw of Derrick Dockery on Channel 2 News and Derrick was smirking and saying he thinks all will be ok and he will Report soon,

I think he will report, and get signed 2 days after and this will all be a bad memory

:rockon:

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Who's to say that he hasn't been on a strict conditioning program? Just because he's not at camp doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't been staying in shape.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Who's to say that he hasn't been on a strict conditioning program? Just because he's not at camp doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't been staying in shape.

True but the proof is in the pudding. We'll see how he looks after showing up for work.

ddaryl
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I think Peters will report.

As I said before he is sending a strong message to the Bills by sitting out. I think it took them a little off guard and it shows that he is going to do what is necessary to get paid.

I actually think he did the right thing here. Now if he doesn't report I'll think he's a total idiot.

I have to disagree, but you already knew I would :lol:. Lee Evans did the right thing, and he had a reason to hold out with just 1 year left on his contract, but he didn't, and we all expect Lee to get a damn good deal.

Peters should have shown up and stated his case and maintained a level of trust, and a showing of team dedication worthy of what he wanted. I think the only thing Peters did was guarentee his next extension is going to be mired with lots of incentives to ensure he doesn't not show up again.

I don't think the Bills will offer him an extension this year and will force him to play the year under the last agreement. Got to send the signal that hold-outs will not be rewarded... they will work on a deal for next year when there is only 2 years left on his existing deal, and he proves that his 1st year at LT was no fluke, and he is not hampered by injury.

Peters still has to prove he is a pro-bowl claiber LT again this year, and if his holdout knocks him back and he does not make the pro-bowl is value is less

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Evans did the right thing, and he had a reason to hold out with just 1 year left on his contract, but he didn't, and we all expect Lee to get a damn good deal.

When Lee signs his deal, this year, than you will have a valid argument.

RedEyE
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
If he does come back he had better be in shape and ready to protect Edwards.

Michael82
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
:hi5:

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
When Lee signs his deal, this year, than you will have a valid argument.

Lee's getting a deal, I think that's already been basically agreed upon universally already. I'm sure it will be for big money as well.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM

:rockon:

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Lee's getting a deal, I think that's already been basically agreed upon universally already. I'm sure it will be for big money as well.

Skooby, I'm not saying a deal won't happen but there is not one credible source that says a deal is almost done.

trapezeus
08-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Agreed but if you have 3 years left on your contract you just signed 2 years ago, where do you draw the line as to not set a precedence to have to pay more for every player that you sign that gets better?

but this is the NFL's way of dealing with contract, Skoob. Without guarantees, this is the players perogative. Players only make the guarantee signing bonus and a year's worth of pay. even good players like brady and manning will get long terms deals, play well, but need to restructure for cap sake.

The NFL is playing this accounting game with players and hates it when the players actually want the cash.

Peters is a douche for not coming in or contacting the team in anyway, but he's playing well within the rules the NFL has created.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Peters is a douche for not coming in or contacting the team in anyway, but he's playing well within the rules the NFL has created.

You don't get fined daily for abiding by the rules.

madness
08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
That mofo better have a monster year.

TigerJ
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I hope so, but I don't feel a great assurance about mere opinions. It would be nice to hear somethng from Peters himself.

don137
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I'll believe it when I see it...

trapezeus
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM
You don't get fined daily for abiding by the rules.

My point is just this: you can complain with peters/parkers method, but you can't complain that he's greedy or playing outside the rules for wanting a new contract.

You are absolutely right, the bills have to get some sort of showing of compromise from Peters. but in the end Peters has outperformed his contract and if he asked them and they said, "no, honor your contract", then the bills are being disingenious as to how the NFL contracts work.

If peters/parker just said, "pay me more or we won't show." the bills should make it clear as to what their strategy is. if it's play a year and get the fix, that needs to be made clear.

We all know the bills seem to be in the dark, but we all seem to be in the dark on the bills intentions. Are they going to sign him? are they thinking about redoing his deal?

mchurchfie
08-19-2008, 11:21 AM
I have said it before:

Bruce had it down to an artform.:snicker2:

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 11:23 AM
My point is just this: you can complain with peters/parkers method, but you can't complain that he's greedy or playing outside the rules for wanting a new contract.

You are absolutely right, the bills have to get some sort of showing of compromise from Peters. but in the end Peters has outperformed his contract and if he asked them and they said, "no, honor your contract", then the bills are being disingenious as to how the NFL contracts work.

If peters/parker just said, "pay me more or we won't show." the bills should make it clear as to what their strategy is. if it's play a year and get the fix, that needs to be made clear.

We all know the bills seem to be in the dark, but we all seem to be in the dark on the bills intentions. Are they going to sign him? are they thinking about redoing his deal?

One would think that by the end of this season he'll be in a great spot for a raise (When he shows up and plays real well), one season does not a career make.

Saratoga Slim
08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I have to disagree, but you already knew I would :lol:. Lee Evans did the right thing, and he had a reason to hold out with just 1 year left on his contract, but he didn't, and we all expect Lee to get a damn good deal.

Peters should have shown up and stated his case and maintained a level of trust, and a showing of team dedication worthy of what he wanted. I think the only thing Peters did was guarentee his next extension is going to be mired with lots of incentives to ensure he doesn't not show up again.

I don't think the Bills will offer him an extension this year and will force him to play the year under the last agreement. Got to send the signal that hold-outs will not be rewarded... they will work on a deal for next year when there is only 2 years left on his existing deal, and he proves that his 1st year at LT was no fluke, and he is not hampered by injury.

Peters still has to prove he is a pro-bowl claiber LT again this year, and if his holdout knocks him back and he does not make the pro-bowl is value is less

Agreed, in part. I don't think there's any question that Peters needs to be paid more than he is--regardless of whether he makes the Pro Bowl again this year. The Pro Bowl is more or less a popularity contest, and the bottom line is that Peters is at minimum a very high quality LT, and yet is paid less than our LG and RT. Moreover, the deal he signed was when he was a RT, not a LT--which I for one think diminishes the argument about "you agreed to it, so play it out". The dude deserves some more cash, no doubt about it.

However, I do agree that we're not likely to see Peters renegotiated very soon, even if he reports. For starters, I think it's pretty clear that he's in line behind Evans at this point. So there will be no deal with him until Evans is inked. Moreover, I also think that the Bills take their time in negotiations--look how long they've been talking with Evans, who has been here and operating in good faith.

I am 100% confident that Peters gets a new deal before next season, but I think it is going to come either later in this season, once he shows some recommitment to the team, or in the offseason. Once he reports, it's not like he's going to un-report, and while he's playing the urgency of renegotiating will be diminished.

theanswer74
08-19-2008, 11:44 AM

No, calling someone a piece of **** that you don't know makes you look like a piece of ****. There is no reason for that.

You have no idea what he has been doing to get ready.

It's not personal, only business. His teammates know that.

ddaryl
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
which I for one think diminishes the argument about "you agreed to it, so play it out". The dude deserves some more cash, no doubt about it.

I never said he has to play it out, but 3 years left on an extension IMO makes his hold out a complete joke. The fact he didn't even try to show good faith and do his negotiations from within pretty much means he won't get his extension until the the end of this year IMHO. The Bills are going to slap his hands here, and they'll wait till next year to deal wiht Pete4rs while sending the message to potential future hold outs.

Oaf
08-19-2008, 12:45 PM

:rolleyes:

Al the Bills Fan
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Is it possible that Peters is still not %100 healthy and did not want to report for the Bills to see this?

trapezeus
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
One would think that by the end of this season he'll be in a great spot for a raise (When he shows up and plays real well), one season does not a career make.

unfortunately for the NFL teams, you either have to pay the premium this year and get ready to cut him the next year, or you have to gamble that he was a one time wonder and walk away. I think based on his position, you have to take that gamble because a replacement really isn't an option. a gimpy disappointed peters is much better than a 100% chambers

You can't expect no risk in such a highstake game.

Saratoga Slim
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I never said he has to play it out, but 3 years left on an extension IMO makes his hold out a complete joke. The fact he didn't even try to show good faith and do his negotiations from within pretty much means he won't get his extension until the the end of this year IMHO. The Bills are going to slap his hands here, and they'll wait till next year to deal wiht Pete4rs while sending the message to potential future hold outs.

Yeah, I could not agree more that Peters has been a big ass about this. Does he deserve more money? Yes. Is he going about it the right way? No way.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I could not agree more that Peters has been a big ass about this. Does he deserve more money? Yes. Is he going about it the right way? No way.

Well Peters really showed the team he can sit out a training camp, we got his message loud and clear.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Peters got his raise by showing up. He then outplayed that contract but if he showed up like he did the 1st time, he would most likely get another raise.

Jan Reimers
08-19-2008, 02:55 PM
At this point, I'm starting not to care. We certainly need him, but the Bills will survive without him.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I do not like the whole Peters issue but lets be realistic here for a minute.

1) Is he really hurting the team by not showing up to camp? Seriously? How many great players miss camp and are still ready to play on week 1?

2) Why would you risk getting injured especially when you are under paid? Why?

3) If the guy is willing to miss the entire camp than I think it sends a message to the Bills that he wants a better deal. Sorry but this is the new NFL. What is Dockery making? Walker?

4) The guy takes a chance everytime he steps on the field with his current contract. He'll never see the money he deserves if he gets hurt. Maybe this latest injury scared him and his agent.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Peters is acting like a spoiled brat. Lets see if the Bills give in. If they do time to call in Nanny 911

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
I do not like the whole Peters issue but lets be realistic here for a minute.

1) Is he really hurting the team by not showing up to camp? Seriously? How many great players miss camp and are still ready to play on week 1?

2) Why would you risk getting injured especially when you are under paid? Why?

3) If the guy is willing to miss the entire camp than I think it sends a message to the Bills that he wants a better deal. Sorry but this is the new NFL. What is Dockery making? Walker?

4) The guy takes a chance everytime he steps on the field with his current contract. He'll never see the money he deserves if he gets hurt. Maybe this latest injury scared him and his agent.
:bf1: the door swings both ways.

Is anyone going to call the team an "*******"or a "baby" if Peters comes back underpaid, gets hurt, and gets cut the next year because his career is over? No.

hydro
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Is it possible that Peters is still not %100 healthy and did not want to report for the Bills to see this?
We have gone over this before as it has been brought up be me and a few others. It sounds like it is possible when you think about until you actually run down the situation. He is asking for a raise that would require a physical exam. If he doesn't pass it he wouldn't get the new contract so why hold out if you are injured?

TacklingDummy
08-19-2008, 03:52 PM
He is asking for a raise that would require a physical exam.

Why give a raise to someone who is basically under contract for the next 5 years?

Captain gameboy
08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Why give a raise to someone who is basically under contract for the next 5 years?

Because he deserves it, and it is a business wherein you really want to keep premier players at important positions.

Because replacing him with a similar talent would probably cost more.

You may have him under contract, but he can refuse his service, if he chooses.

Because doing so increases your stature in the all important free agent game.

Because you have a small window to succeed, and blowing it costs way more than funding necessary components.

I think that the bottom line is that Peters is getting very bad advice, and I would look past any player that was in the draft who was represented by this guy.

The Bills and Peters need to get together and get him here, playing.
At the same time both parties need to craft a joint explanation for the media to disseminate that absolves Peters of long term blame and does not give incentive for future holdouts.

tatersalad
08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
In team sports no piece is bigger than the whole, granted he is a very big peice the sum is still greater I like the Bills stance on this one....

X-Era
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM

If he reports after training camp breaks, I would say its more likely laziness fed by a money hungry agent.

X-Era
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Real easy, we arent a SB or even playoff team with so many stars that we can afford to blow off any of our young studs.

If we were the Pats or Giants, maybe. But not when we need high caliper talent so damn bad.

Night Train
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Camp ends.. the pre-season is finishing up.

Time to report. Shocking ! That never happens ! :rolleyes:

clumping platelets
08-20-2008, 03:08 AM

It has previously been suggested :drama:

Dujek
08-20-2008, 03:17 AM
If he's good to go for the Seahawks game I'll be happy.

Mitchy moo
08-20-2008, 07:44 AM
If he's good to go for the Seahawks game I'll be happy.

Ditto.

HAMMER
08-20-2008, 10:02 AM
In theory sure, but Peters is the last person I'm worried about being there. He'll be fine.

Please explain why, is it his superior intellect?

Romes
08-21-2008, 01:03 AM
The Niagara Gazette had some actual quotes from Dockery in there.

One of the few Bills to have contact with Peters, left guard Derrick Dockery, expressed optimism his linemate would be back soon.

“He loves the game of football. I’m sure the organization and Jason will do whatever it takes to get the situation resolved.”

Asked when he thought that would be, Dockery said “before the season starts would be my guess.”

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/Buffalo%20Bills/gnnbuffalorbills_story_233222215.html