PDA

View Full Version : Concerns as I see them...

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 08:27 AM
This is not a negative thread. Just food for thought.

Concerns:

1) Angelo Crowell's knee. This looks like an injury that should have seen an operation in the off-season. I'm concerned that he'll be missing some games.

2) The O-line. Peter's groin is on the mend and if we lose just one player, anywhere on this line, the whole line drops off substantially.

3) McCargo. He got fined for being fat and he is seeing less and less playing time. For a team that was supposed to improving it's D-line I'm a little frustrated that our first round pick is not starting in his 3rd year here.

4) TE. Not overly impressed and I don't see this being any kind of factor this year.

5) Josh Reed. This guy needs to be on the field if we are going to have a shot this year. He's the most consistant receiver we have. That back doesn't sound good since it is a chronic issue. Mikey reported on it before Reed was out.

Feel free to add to the list.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 08:34 AM
5)

SO if we have a healthy Josh Reed we have a shot? I thought you said we'll suck even before Josh got injured

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
5)

SO if we have a healthy Josh Reed we have a shot? I thought you said we'll suck even before Josh got injured

Justa, I would not call our offense great. We were ranked 31st last year and we added James Hardy.

The team needs contribution from everyone and Reed is the most consitant player we have. If we are going to be better it's going to be primarily based on improvement from Lynch, Edwards, and Jackson, a better game plan, and our regulars playing up and consistant.

acehole
08-19-2008, 08:54 AM
mCARGO WAS supposed to be a penitrater type one gapper...
He is becoming more of a two gapper now which isnt the end of the world to me...We could always use run stuffers...

Tight end for the amount we will use him/them in this system it is also fine...If shouman is injured I think we keep andersen instead...'

If Crowell injury is serious we can put digi back in middle and pos on the outside....We will be fine.

Josh reed in not a starting caliper #2 wr.

He is ok in the slot....and now we seem to have guys/system that we can live without him...hardy should start at #2 and roscoe in the slot...if need be...

Concerns:

1) Angelo Crowell's knee. This looks like an injury that should have seen an operation in the off-season. I'm concerned that he'll be missing some games.

2) The O-line. Peter's groin is on the mend and if we lose just one player, anywhere on this line, the whole line drops off substantially.

3) McCargo. He got fined for being fat and he is seeing less and less playing time. For a team that was supposed to improving it's D-line I'm a little frustrated that our first round pick is not starting in his 3rd year here.

4) TE. Not overly impressed and I don't see this being any kind of factor this year.

5) Josh Reed. This guy needs to be on the field if we are going to have a shot this year. He's the most consistant receiver we have. That back doesn't sound good since it is a chronic issue. Mikey reported on it before Reed was out.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 09:01 AM
mCARGO WAS supposed to be a penitrater type one gapper...
He is becoming more of a two gapper now which isnt the end of the world to me...We could always use run stuffers...

Tight end for the amount we will use him/them in this system it is also fine...If shouman is injured I think we keep andersen instead...'

If Crowell injury is serious we can put digi back in middle and pos on the outside....We will be fine.

Josh reed in not a starting caliper #2 wr.

He is ok in the slot....and now we seem to have guys/system that we can live without him...hardy should start at #2 and roscoe in the slot...if need be...

Your response is all stop gaps.

Do you really think we are as good with Digi on the field instead of Crowell??

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Justa, I would not call our offense great. We were ranked 31st last year and we added James Hardy.

The team needs contribution from everyone and Reed is the most consitant player we have. If we are going to be better it's going to be primarily based on improvement from Lynch, Edwards, and Jackson, a better game plan, and our regulars playing up and consistant.
gotcha

DraftBoy
08-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I have concern still at QB. I want to see Trent build on last week. I have concerns about our DB's as they have been torched thus far. I also want to see our DL finish plays and get sacks.

Mitchy moo
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Peters not being here is a bigger concern.

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Our offense is an interesting creature. We've had games over the past few years where we look like we have the "potential" to be one of the better O's in the league; St. Louis (2004), a few Miami games, and a couple of Cincy games come to mind. But the one thing we've failed to do is be CONSISTENT with it. This teams biggest problem isn't the lack of talent or the inability to execute, our biggest issue is consistency, and that is my main concern year in and year out with us.

EDS
08-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Our offense is an interesting creature. We've had games over the past few years where we look like we have the "potential" to be one of the better O's in the league; St. Louis (2004), a few Miami games, and a couple of Cincy games come to mind. But the one thing we've failed to do is be CONSISTENT with it. This teams biggest problem isn't the lack of talent or the inability to execute, our biggest issue is consistency, and that is my main concern year in and year out with us.

I agree, but in fairness there has been so much turnover in personnel and coaching that it is hard for the team to build consistency. Part of this is that the organization has not done a good job of building a winning organization. Alot of the blame for that falls on Ralph's lap and the not so great GMs he has hired over the past however many years.

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree, but in fairness there has been so much turnover in personnel and coaching that it is hard for the team to build consistency. Part of this is that the organization has not done a good job of building a winning organization. Alot of the blame for that falls on Ralph's lap and the not so great GMs he has hired over the past however many years.
Yup, sometimes I find myself questioning Ralph and his desire to win.

Wally The Barber
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
We have concerns every year but this team has some depth for a change

Mahdi
08-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Concerns:

1) Yeah I agree Crowell's knee is a huge concern. IMO he is our best run stuffer out of the LB corps (unless Puz does crazy things this year). If he misses time it puts Ellison, our weakest run stuffer out of the LB depth into the line up.

2) Peters was recovered from his hernia surgery long ago. He would have been healthy for spring workouts.

3) When did McCargo get fined? I haven't heard that.

4) I think we have all been critical of the TE situation but with Royal's performance last week we can all be at least more encouraged than before. Royal trimmed down big time and that has made him more fluent and athletic. He always had good awareness so maybe he steps it up this year.

5) Im sorry but Josh Reed our most CONSISTENT receiver??? since when? A consistent receiver gets separation more often than once or twice a game and is a threat to score more than once a year. Evans is our most consistent receiver and personally I wouldn't mind seeing Steve Johnson get some first team reps as a slot receiver with Parrish on the outside. Johnson seems to have great hands, consistency and more of a play maker than Reed.

Saratoga Slim
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Concerns:

1. I'm concerned too about Crowell's knee. However, with DiGiorgio and Ellison we do have some decent depth at LB if need be. Those guys can play well enough to not be liabilities if need be.

2. Yes, we do have OL depth issues. However, in a backwards kind of way, and assuming that Peters reports soon, his holdout may have been a great thing for the OL depth as a whole. Butler and Walker have both gotten reps at different positions, Bell has gotten a lot more reps than if Peters was there, etc. W/out Peters in camp, our depth guys have gotten a lot more attention, experience, and hopefully some versatility--hopefully that pays off.

3. McCargo is frustrating, I agree. I'd like to hear a little more in the way of positive vibes regarding his play in camp. I do think DT is a tough position to really shine in w/out the pads on etc., but nonetheless.....I'm starting to not expect much.

4. I really liked what I saw of Royal the day I went to camp, and he looked great against the Steelers. At this stage in his career it seems unlikely that he'll have a "breakout" season on the way to greatness, but he at least is generating some positive vibes. Schouman was as well, before the injury. Maybe Schouman's injury will open the door for Derek Fine to get more reps. Bottom line is the TEs feel solid, but we don't have an elite one. That said, how many teams in the league do? Seems like beyond Gates, Winslow, Gonzalez, Whitten, Clark, and maybe Shockey no other teams really have a game changer at TE. I think we have at least average talent at TE.

5. Reed is indeed an important piece of the passing game, at least until a) Hardy develops as a go-to possession guy or b) one of the TEs emerge.

Oaf
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
CB wrote that Spencer Johnson and Williams were splitting first team reps b/c they were battling for the spot alongside Stroud. No mention of McCargo. That's pretty disappointing.

HH, your comment about OL depth rings true. Even with Peters, if one of our starters goes down (except perhaps Fowler), we are in a heap of trouble with the backups we have.

raphael120
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
It pisses me off that as seasons go by, more and more of Marv's picks suck ass. McCargo was a waste of a trade up, along with Tripplett. When your late round DT is outplaying your 1rst rounder, someone ****ed up somewhere.

Lexwhat
08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I am not too happy with the Ko Simpson / Donte Whitner combination.

I don't think Ko Simpson will ever be more than average. As for Whitner, I think he would be better off playing Free Safety.

My solution? Draft a Strong Safety in the early rounds next year, or sign one in FA next offseason. Move Whitner to FS and then demote Simpson to backup.

acehole
08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Your response is all stop gaps.

Do you really think we are as good with Digi on the field instead of Crowell??

Well you had a concern and i tried to give you an option.

Dig showed he could fill in for POZ.

poz has shown he is equal to or greater then Crowell...

JerseyBoofaloBills
08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I dont think the bills have any concerns at all.

:drama:

ublinkwescore
08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
It's freakin' preseason guys - we've seen some early flashes for once, and the next game should be the most important preseason game of the four since the starters should see most of their playing time and then next week they'll see a single drive probably and then get yanked so they can stay healthy.

I'm happy with the vast improvement from the first game to the second.

Let's just hope for some consistency, and get ready for the Seagulls.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2008, 02:11 PM
It's freakin' preseason guys - we've seen some early flashes for once, and the next game should be the most important preseason game of the four since the starters should see most of their playing time and then next week they'll see a single drive probably and then get yanked so they can stay healthy.

I'm happy with the vast improvement from the first game to the second.

Let's just hope for some consistency, and get ready for the Seagulls.

This isn't a Bills suck thread. Every team in the league has concerns including the Patriots. We are just discussing them. CHILL.

gr8slayer
08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
This isn't a Bills suck thread. Every team in the league has concerns including the Patriots. We are just discussing them. CHILL.
Seriously; no matter how good your team is there is always going to be something to be critical about. Right now Dallas is up in arms over the way the Cowboys have been playing in the pre-season and they are probably the best team in the league on paper with the least to worry about roster wise.

It doesn't matter how good your team is, if you aren't always looking to improve you might as well hang it up and quit.