PDA

View Full Version : TMQ Slams Jauron

Pinkerton Security
08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080819

Buffalo: This year's Miami "at" Buffalo game in Toronto reduces the Bills' home dates to seven. But unlike the Dolphins and Saints, penalized by losing a home game for "home" appearances in London, developing a Toronto relationship should be good for the Bills. Now check the favor the league did for Buffalo in this year's sked -- only one Orchard Park game in December, and that against the sinister-but-popular Patriots. The Bills always sell out their pre-Thanksgiving games, but struggle to move December tickets, since locals know snow will have set in by then. For 2008, Buffalo has only one December true home game to sell, which won't a problem with the Patriots as the opponent. The Toronto game is in December; though north of Buffalo, Toronto gets considerably less snow, owing to lake-effect weather patterns. Even though the game will be played indoors at Rogers Centre, it will likely be easier to get around Toronto than Buffalo on Dec. 7. For several seasons now, the NFL has both limited Buffalo's December home dates, and made sure that December visitors are attractive to ticket buyers. Between scheduling favors and the new revenue-sharing deal, which is favorable to small-market teams, the NFL seems to be signaling it wants the Bills to be successful in Buffalo.
Last year, Buffalo had a league-low 20 offensive touchdowns. Bills draftees James Hardy and Xavier Omon combined for 53 touchdowns last season in college, more than double the entire Buffalo offense. The Ivies played well on special teams and on defense -- subtract two blowouts by New England, and Buffalo allowed 18 points per game, a strong figure. But the offense was cover-your-eyes awful: predictable (57 percent rushing on first down, despite opponents OBVIOUSLY stacking the box on first downs), throwing almost exclusively short, unable to kill the clock to hold late leads created by defense and special teams (Buffalo lost to Dallas and Denver despite having late leads and possession of the ball).
Buffalo's Ivy League coach, Dick Jauron, is a fine man but low-voltage personified; he's like a car battery that won't turn the engine on a cold morning. Jauron has just one winning season in seven as a head coach. Losing does not seem to bother him; he's never animated on the sidelines or upset after a loss, and he wasn't upset even after the Bills allowed two scores in the final 20 seconds to lose 25-24 to Dallas before a national audience on "Monday Night Football." Team spirit is high in Buffalo, but the team mindset is all wrong, mirroring the coach. Jauron's gift is lowering expectations; this is his third season in Buffalo, yet he's still talking only about "improvement," not winning. Much of the time, the objective seems to be to lose with dignity. Trailing New England 42-7 in the second half, the Bills kicked a field goal. Trailing New England 56-10 in the fourth quarter, Buffalo punted from midfield. Those were Jauron's decisions and the message sent was, "Oh well, another loss, right you are chaps, pip pip." For a once-proud franchise that has not made the postseason in this decade, the Bills need an attitude adjustment.

Ouch!! Not anthing ground-breaking, but he really pinpoints Jauron's flaws, and also made good points about the schedule.

theanswer74
08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
This year Juaron and the team have been preaching playoffs. The Bills attitude is different this year.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
truth hurts

Pinkerton Security
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
This year Juaron and the team have been preaching playoffs. The Bills attitude is different this year.

the team has. Jauron, that I remember at least, has not.

theanswer74
08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
the team has. Jauron, that I remember at least, has not.

I do think he did say that was the goal, but anyways it's like the Levy teams, you need self motivated players to win.

Levy added the right players once again.

bigbub2352
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
I have been saying this about DJ since we hired him, he will be the downfall of this team, he is not a leader he is a yes man

theanswer74
08-19-2008, 01:58 PM
And you go, Juaron's change is clear....

"Every year is a critical year in our business," he said. "But this year coming up for us for our staff and our football team is really a critical year."

"You're always looking to better yourself in every area," said Jauron. "We'll do that in free agency and the draft and all that study really starts now. In terms of what we do we have to study that too. We took significant steps in improving our offensive line a year ago in free agency and I believe it paid off. But we've got to make it pay off in the near future, talking about next year and making a run at the playoffs. We've got to take that next step."

"There's no sense dancing around the fact that we're going into a critical year," he said. "The more continuity we have the better, particularly since we believe we're moving in the right direction. With what we've done in our personnel moves the last two years and in our attitude, I'm real happy with how it's worked out."

And as encouraged as he is with the talent on hand and the progress that's been made Jauron knows that making it to the postseason in 2008 is now the expectation.

"It is for us," he said. "It definitely is for us."
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=5835

Pinkerton Security
08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
And you go, Juaron's change is clear....

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=5835

nice. good find. :rockon:

lets see some results now Jauron.

mybills
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I admire people who can contain their emotions..and focus on what went wrong or right, depending on the outcome. Jauron is a smart man, his face may be expressionless, but you know he's always thinking.

OpIv37
08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I admire people who can contain their emotions..and focus on what went wrong or right, depending on the outcome. Jauron is a smart man, his face may be expressionless, but you know he's always thinking.

well apparently he's not thinking about football. Seriously, we don't need some basket case like Vermeil who's going to break down and start crying or some raving lunatic like Bobby Knight, but some excitement at a win and frustration at a loss would be nice.

There is footage of almost every head coach berating the refs for a bad call, except Jauron. Or if he has, I've never seen it. He certainly hasn't done it as head coach of the Bills.

There is a thinking aspect to football, but it's not a damn Sodoku puzzle. It's not 100% mental- sometimes you have to show some emotion and/or stand up for yourself and just hit someone in the mouth. Jauron doesn't seem to have that mentality.

mybills
08-19-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm glad he's not like the old Parcells. :phew:

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Jauron is a smart man, his face may be expressionless, but you know he's always thinking.

Smart means nothing without wins. I'd rather have an idiot that produces.

evol4276
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
well thats nothing new.. ive said it before it drives me nuts with his non-emotional stand during games. i still like him but thats one thing i dont like.

mybills
08-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Smart means nothing without wins. I'd rather have an idiot that produces.
everyone probably would
I still admire him.

justasportsfan
08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
everyone probably would
I still admire him.
OP had unrealitstic expectations the last 2 years and we went back and forth with me trying to defend Jauron. Dick is nothing special or else he would've turned this program in less than the average turn around which is 3 years. No more defending Dick. He better produce or BZ will have 2 OP's.

cocamide
08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Although I would like to see some more emotion from Jauron, I'm sure he's not OK with losing; at least I really hope not. What should he have done after the Dallas game? Cried or blown up like Dennis Green? Arizona didn't seem to rally behind Dennis Green after his emotional outburst.

Wally The Barber
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
The comments about Jauron do not hold water with me.

Ever watch Billicheck, Shula or Lombardi, none had to throw tantrums on the field to qualify as a great coach.

Just another persons opinion I guess

ddaryl
08-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Jauron definitely has done some head scratching things, but the article is a little over done..

but who cares.... I know I don't care what TMQ has to say. They're ESPN the only Bills news they ever really deliver is a busting our balls anyways

bigbub2352
08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
well apparently he's not thinking about football. Seriously, we don't need some basket case like Vermeil who's going to break down and start crying or some raving lunatic like Bobby Knight, but some excitement at a win and frustration at a loss would be nice.

There is footage of almost every head coach berating the refs for a bad call, except Jauron. Or if he has, I've never seen it. He certainly hasn't done it as head coach of the Bills.

There is a thinking aspect to football, but it's not a damn Sodoku puzzle. It's not 100% mental- sometimes you have to show some emotion and/or stand up for yourself and just hit someone in the mouth. Jauron doesn't seem to have that mentality.
I would take Dick Vermeil over any coach we have had since Marv, and maybe over Marv Levy he got the most out of his players and showed passion that little or few coaches show
DJ is a corpse on the sidelines and routinly gets outcoached guys he has a career losing record yes he kept a team together thru injury but any NFL coach should be able to do that

DJ will hurt us if we make the playoffs, i would feel so much better about this team with a different head Coach, i would have luved Sherman

patmoran2006
08-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I'll say this.

talent is there. If this team underperforms this year it is on Jauron. half the reason I want Peters back so badly is so that he officially has no excuses.

You can't ignore the fact he's had ONE winning season in this league.

djjimkelly
08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
plain and simple jauron sucks he will be shown door after this season im sure of it

raphael120
08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
This is one thing that was maddening. I wouldn't mind so much if the coach of the team shared the same frustration with how the team was doing. ESPECIALLY in the Cowboys game. In a game that felt like a playoff, he BLEW it royally and was not the least bit phased by it. I know he's a nice guy, that's fine. Thing is though, being nice doesn't excuse you from just being bad at your job. if I suck at my job but I'm nice and courteous, i'll get fired and I'll be courteously accepting a welfare check.

raphael120
08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
plain and simple jauron sucks he will be shown door after this season im sure of it
I wouldn't be surprised if he loses some games again for us this year. He plays to conservative and we never put teams away. I can see us being better on offense and sitting on leads and then play not to lose at that point. I'm thinking of the Giants game last year.

Captain gameboy
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM
His comments about Jauron hold the same amount of credibility with me that his initial paragraph about weather do.

Seems incisive, but does not hold up to factual evidence.

After all the crap about Buffalo weather, I don't recall there being too many games that weather in Buffalo in December or January has been a serious issue.

A few, but not too many. I remember the Miami game a few years ago with Ricky running wild, but it really didn't matter. We beat them because they had no passing game to be effected.

Like travel in the US to various away games supposedly having any real effect on football games, it is a grossly overrated issue.

mybills
08-19-2008, 04:37 PM
No more defending Dick.
Is that what you think I'm doing by saying I admire his anger management?
Some clown pulled road rage on me this morning, and I laughed at him. Kohwer is another one I can't stand...he got so worked up he spit on his players. That's pathetic, IMO.

djjimkelly
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Some clown pulled road rage on me this morning, and I laughed at him. Kohwer is another one I can't stand...he got so worked up he spit on his players. That's pathetic, IMO.

theres always a happy medium.

raphael120
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
theres always a happy medium.

I'll take Cowher with his perennial playoff teams and a Super Bowl win.

mybills
08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
I'll take Cowher with his perennial playoff teams and a Super Bowl win.
That is so not the point of my post.

DMBcrew36
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
The article implies that having the Patriots here in December is a HUGE favour and an instant sellout?

WRONG. Out of all the games on the schedule, that is the least appealing to those of us who have already endured seeing the Bills get dismantled by the Patriots in fridged conditions before. It's not fun at all.

Night Train
08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Easterbrook was born and raised in Buffalo. A diehard Bills fan.

Can't knock what he says but don't view this as an unbiased outside media opinion by any stretch. He a jersey wearing Bills fan that's completely opinionated about his team, like us.

Akhippo
08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
The team just has an aura about them that comes across as I hope they dont screw up and that they can play up to the competition. With M Shanahan and Cowher, you sense that they will bring it and be prepared.
Granted there are other things involved come game day; I just think we could use that extra piece that Jauron doesnt seem to have to get us over the top.

Mr. Pink
08-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Nothing new or noteworthy in this article.

All of that is pretty much common knowledge..

Maybe some of us don't want to admit to it but still....

justasportsfan
08-20-2008, 08:39 AM
not all at. He is very well liked by his players . Seems to be a great motivator. Gets his players to rally behind hin and play hard for him.However, I'm not sold on his X's and O's. I don't dislike Jauron, but I'm not sold on him either. This season is the season of judgement.

Historian
08-20-2008, 09:27 AM
pip-pip?

:limp: