PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bills playoff or bust?

Bling
08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Is anything other the playoffs a bust season? I think this is the Bills only chance. Ralph won't pony up the money for Evans and Peters, so he's going to choose. He might even send both packing. If either leave, your offense is severely damaged. You'll also come to the realization that Jauron is barely an average coach. There might be a chance of him being canned, and the start of a completely new regime.

What do you think?

VeggieMan14
08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
:gobills:

Mr. Pink
08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Finishing over .500 playoffs or not would be a good step in the right direction.

Sure, the ultimate goal is a championship I just don't think the Bills have enough to compete with the upper echelon clubs in the AFC. Pats, Colts, Chargers are still too far above us for championship aspirations.

Mitchell55
08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I put playoffs or bust, but if we have a cleveland year, id be all for it. 10-6 isnt bad at all.

Kenny
08-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd be okay with not making the playoffs if we're at least competitive... and by that, I dont just mean a winning record, -but actually able to play against the league's best (unlike last year, where our record made us look like a borderline playoff team, -but that was more a symptom of weak opponents, then really competing with the good teams).

I honestly think we're still another year away. While the defense should be better, Im still worried about the offense. Though Edwards looks like he may be the real deal, and Lynch and Evans are great, -we just dont have a second wideout or a playmaking tightend to relieve the pressure.
Im thinking it'll take at least a year for Hardy to develop... likewise for McLovin.

raphael120
08-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I think this is the most talented, likable team we've had in years. I'll say that much.

HughC
08-19-2008, 11:54 PM
I'd rather look long term. Teams that think 'now or never' end up 3-13, or in quicksand like San Francisco. In order to be successful the front office needs to balance this year with three to five year goals.

Dujek
08-20-2008, 03:07 AM
It's 10 wins or bust this year. Anything else has to be considered a failure.

OpIv37
08-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Other.

It's a playoff or bust year, but we don't have the talent to make the playoffs even though we should.

However, we have reduced standards in Buffalo. Mild improvement is enough to keep Ralph happy and maintain the status quo into next season.

SquishDaFish
08-20-2008, 07:20 AM
As long as I see 100% effort and less injuries Ill be happy

Night Train
08-20-2008, 07:37 AM
I have no idea until I see if Schonert continues to call plays that attack & Fewell can get the D to apply actual pressure to the QB.

gr8slayer
08-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I still think we're a couple of years away from being in the mix.

DraftBoy
08-20-2008, 09:33 AM
We need more playmakers, we have a very solid core of roll players but lack game changing players on both sides of the ball to put us over the edge. It is not a playoffs or bust type year.

OpIv37
08-20-2008, 09:45 AM
We need more playmakers, we have a very solid core of roll players but lack game changing players on both sides of the ball to put us over the edge. It is not a playoffs or bust type year.

seriously. I wish we could have just ONE top 3 player at their position, particularly on D. Right now, the only guys we have that are even close are Peters (who isn't playing) and possibly Lynch.

gr8slayer
08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
seriously. I wish we could have just ONE top 3 player at their position, particularly on D. Right now, the only guys we have that are even close are Peters (who isn't playing) and possibly Lynch.
Stroud is somewhere in the 3-6 area at DT when healthy.

OpIv37
08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Stroud is somewhere in the 3-6 area at DT when healthy.

yeah, I'm just thinking back to the Bruce Smith days, where opposing OC's would game plan specifically around him. And if they actually managed to stop him, it just opened it up for everyone else on the D to have a field day.

I don't expect another Bruce Smith, but other teams have guys like Merriman, LT, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis (not so much now but definitely a few years ago), Bob Sanders, etc- that force other teams to adjust. I just wish we had someone like that.

DraftBoy
08-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Can't put Lynch there yet he's not in the same league as an AP or LT.

Peters yes but an OT can't score TDs.

Stroud if he can stay healthy then yes, but thats a huge IF.

gr8slayer
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
yeah, I'm just thinking back to the Bruce Smith days, where opposing OC's would game plan specifically around him. And if they actually managed to stop him, it just opened it up for everyone else on the D to have a field day.

I don't expect another Bruce Smith, but other teams have guys like Merriman, LT, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis (not so much now but definitely a few years ago), Bob Sanders, etc- that force other teams to adjust. I just wish we had someone like that.
Well, if healthy Stroud is that guy.

OpIv37
08-20-2008, 09:58 AM

agreed- he's not there yet. But I think he has the potential to be. Whether or not he'll reach that potential remains to be seen.

gr8slayer
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Peters yes but an OT can't score TDs.

Stroud if he can stay healthy then yes, but thats a huge IF.
AP is still not in the same league as LT; AP and Lynch are on the same level.

DraftBoy
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
AP is still not in the same league as LT; AP and Lynch are on the same level.

No way, AP is way above Lynch at this point. AP is a game breaking back, Lynch is not that yet.

gr8slayer
08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
No way, AP is way above Lynch at this point. AP is a game breaking back, Lynch is not that yet.
Peterson is running behind an all-pro offensive line and was not the focal point of DC's last season. This year they have a years worth of tape on him and you'll see him come back down to earth. When it's all said and done it's still Lynch > Peterson.

DraftBoy
08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Peterson is running behind an all-pro offensive line and was not the focal point of DC's last season. This year they have a years worth of tape on him and you'll see him come back down to earth. When it's all said and done it's still Lynch > Peterson.
How in the world can you say he wasn't the focus point of DC's? He was there only real weapon with a still raw QB in Jackson and no real big time WR threat. AP will have a less than amazing sophmore year but I bet he still gets 1500 yards, I dont know that Lynch reaches that.

gr8slayer
08-20-2008, 11:07 AM
How in the world can you say he wasn't the focus point of DC's? He was there only real weapon with a still raw QB in Jackson and no real big time WR threat. AP will have a less than amazing sophmore year but I bet he still gets 1500 yards, I dont know that Lynch reaches that.
Rookie RB's have it easier than anyone when it comes to coming in right away and having success. It's hard to scheme for them with no NFL film and there are so many things you can do to disguise them. This year there is no surprise and DC's now have an entire years worth of film on him and you'll see his production fall.

In fact, if you look at his per game statistics he started to break down in the second half of the year.

njsue
08-20-2008, 11:34 AM
This season all depends on Trent Edwards play.

gr8slayer
08-20-2008, 11:35 AM
This season all depends on Trent Edwards play.

Yikes. But very true.

madness
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
AP was behind the best run blocking offense in the league. Their WR + TE's ran block better then our line. Whose to say Marshawn couldn't have done the same on that team?

It's way to early to decide who the better back is but I'd still take Marshawn if I had the choice.

As for the Bills, I don't think it's playoffs or bust... more like win at least 9 games or bust.

JerseyBoofaloBills
08-20-2008, 12:24 PM

How can you already say AP is with LT? i mean LT could go down as one of the best backs in NFL history..AP was a rookie last year an already you're comparing him to LT? idk about the hype of AP, im just waiting till he gets hurt cause of the way he runs.