• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Did you know this about Jauron?

So I've been doing some research for an upcoming story on Mr. Richard Jauron. I found something that I didn't have any idea about.

The "myth" about Jauron is that he is constantly losing close games as head coach. THese sentiments were echoed on WGR today by Mike Schoop, when he said the biggest problem he sees with the Bills is Jauron's inability to win close games.

Well we all or most of anyway know that Jauron is 17 games under .500 for his coaching career (50-67). We all know that Jauron has had only one winning season (2001- Chicago) in his seven full seasons as head coac (I don't count his 1-4 at the end of the Detroit season as a losing season on him)

But here is something I found in my research that surprised me.

In his career, Jauron actually has a winning record in games that are decided by four or fewer points. He's 22-19 for his career in "close" games (Though he's just 4-7 during his two Bills campaigns to date.)

For his career he is:
    22-19 in games decided by 4 points or less
    28-48 in games decided by 4 or more points

So that should tell us two things
    1) He's largely had teams that have been outgunned in talent.
    2) Contrary to popular opinion, the record shows he wins more close games than he loses.

IN addition, if you go by the Jauron history, here is another set of numbers that are NOT good news for our offense.

Only once in his full seven years as a head coach have one of his offenses been ranked in the top 22 in the NFL in scoring. That was in 2001 with Chicago. His offenses the other six seasons have ranked 25th, 28th, 27th, 23rd, 23rd and 30th respectively.

Going by these numbers, the conclusion certainly isn't ground-breaking. Jauron is a very conservative coach who likes to keep the game close to his vest, keep his team in the game late and then rely on a big play or two in the late stages to get his victories.

It's safe to say we'll probably be the same this year.. Hopefully we can make a few plays late in games to seal close wins.

But again, the one stat I didn't expect was him having a winning record in games by four points or less, considering he's 17 games under .500 for his career.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Did you know this about Jauron?

Nice work Pat.

I would recommend sending it into Schopp, but doubt it would get acknowledged.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

His winning record in close games probably stems from his "Angels in the Outfield" season in Chicago in 2001 where the Bears won a ton of games on miracle plays late in the 4th quarter/overtime. Luckiest season I have ever seen by a team in my life.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

Nice find, but I question your interpretation

"1) He's largely had teams that have been outgunned in talent."

How did you arrive at that?
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Thurmal
          His winning record in close games probably stems from his "Angels in the Outfield" season in Chicago in 2001 where the Bears won a ton of games on miracle plays late in the 4th quarter/overtime. Luckiest season I have ever seen by a team in my life.
          ... and that's the most talented team he's ever worked with next to this year's team.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Thurmal
            Not quite sure where you came to that conclusion. In 2003 (the 13-3 season) Chicago only played in two games that were decided by four points or less (they won both of them)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

what happens to those numbers if you define "close" as a touchdown or less instead of 4 points or less? 4 seems like a pretty arbitrary number, particularly since there's no 4 point play in football.

Also, the 28-48 in games that aren't close isn't too encouraging. It means he's lost big 20 more times than he's won big.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

It shows that not only does he have a dismal career record, but almost half the games he has won have been barely.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
                  It shows that not only does he have a dismal career record, but almost half the games he has won have been barely.
                  Winning barely is a good as winning big....

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

DJ will be the reason we dont make the playoffs, statistics or not, just watch the games, he regularly gets outcoached, and his coaching staff picks in my opinion are suspect as well, Perry Fewell would have been fired by any other organization by now and Steve Fairchild was awful and DJ never over rided him

We will be out coached all day by the big name coaches in this league and unfortunaly that wont change cause our Owner wont spend money on coaches, he goes bargain for them and then we reap the results

Sticking up for DJ only means you are satisfied with medicracy
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

but they're not good on the blood pressure
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                        Sticking up for DJ only means you are satisfied with medicracy

This statement is idiotic, moronic and disrepects other Bills fans just because they don't agree with you.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Just like last year was JP's year to make that step, this year is DJ's turn to prove why he needs to be the coach of this team. it was clearly laid out during his time of hire that he has 3 years to cut the dead weight, add new talent, and get us to the playoffs. this is year 3. I'm willing to see what he has to be fair to the bills and DJ. If he fails miserably or there is no improvement, we need to move on.

If we miss the playoffs but have a 10-6 record, then the bills have a tough decision.

To the guy who said perry fewell would have been fired by now, i don't think that's true at all. Fewell was widely respected for how the defense played last year with no one on it. yes, he blew that cowboys 2 minute drill. but he came out after the game and said, i did that wrong. i think he's a real talent and hope that this year proves that he knows what he is doing.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            This statement is idiotic, moronic and disrepects other Bills fans just because they don't agree with you.
                            How so, cause ur a Dr, or what? Sorry but if u stick up for anything about DJ or the last coaches since Wade Phillops u are satisfied with medicrocy any way you look at it the FO has made one bad decision after the other

Oh i am sorry i forgot that must hurt feelings to say that i guess the money i spend on season tickets and go to one away game every year, as well as 2 practices isnt good enough for me to state my opinion

Learn the game if you are gonna make stupid comments
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• bigbub2352
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
                              Just like last year was JP's year to make that step, this year is DJ's turn to prove why he needs to be the coach of this team. it was clearly laid out during his time of hire that he has 3 years to cut the dead weight, add new talent, and get us to the playoffs. this is year 3. I'm willing to see what he has to be fair to the bills and DJ. If he fails miserably or there is no improvement, we need to move on.

If we miss the playoffs but have a 10-6 record, then the bills have a tough decision.

To the guy who said perry fewell would have been fired by now, i don't think that's true at all. Fewell was widely respected for how the defense played last year with no one on it. yes, he blew that cowboys 2 minute drill. but he came out after the game and said, i did that wrong. i think he's a real talent and hope that this year proves that he knows what he is doing.
                              So a Defensive cordinator that allows offense to drive down the feild and take time off the clock and keep our offense off the feild is ok, someone who has commanded the 30th and 31st ranked defense in the league is doin a good job cause we had injurys?

Dont forget Fewell has a say on the players brought in like Larry Tripplett and contributed to most teams being able to get 1st downs at will

Sorry but we were 7-9 two seasons in a row, so if injuries was the excuse last year what was the year before?
                              Why do we have no pass rush?
                              Why do we give up long time consuming drives ?
                              why do teams get 1st down at will?
                              why do we lose most our close games?
                              why do we have poor coverage schemes until the other team is on our 20?
                              why on 3rd and 15 do our CBs give a 20 yrd cushion?
                              Why do our Dlineman have 5 yard gaps between them so RBs can run right thru them on certain plays?

i guess Fewell is ok thou
                              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Working...
                              X